http://www.uh.edu/uhtoday/2007/08aug/08060...rage_rvote.html

August 6, 2007

REGENTS TO VOTE ON NEW PARKING GARAGE

As the University of Houston continues to grow, parking remains a concern for members of the campus community.

Soon, parking worries might be eased as the UH System Board of Regents will vote on a proposal to construct a $9 million garage that will contain 900 to 1,000 spaces. The board will vote on this item Aug. 16.

David Irvin, associate vice president of plant operations, presented the garage

I think this is great. One of the things I like the least about UH was the sea of asphalt parking lots. They could have save so much room by building parking garages. Texas started to do this while I was at school with the goal to reduce surface lots (especially within the central part of the campus) to create more green space and reduce the number of cars on campus. It was great. Less cars, less lots made for a nicer campus. The one thing that bothered me about the plan was the danger of a ring of parking garages sealing off the campus from the rest of the city.

The one thing that bothered me about the plan was the danger of a ring of parking garages sealing off the campus from the rest of the city.

Well, the first two parking garages are on Calhoun, pretty near Spur 5 and the railroad. That side of campus is pretty well sealed off from the city as it is.

The one bad thing I can foresee about parking garages...where the hell will we tailgate when all the surface lots are gone?!?

UH's Master Plan depends on these parking garages to better utilize its space. They plan to almost double the square footage of campus buildings while also increasing the amount of green space on campus. That's cool as hell.

Well, the first two parking garages are on Calhoun, pretty near Spur 5 and the railroad. That side of campus is pretty well sealed off from the city as it is.

The one bad thing I can foresee about parking garages...where the hell will we tailgate when all the surface lots are gone?!?

UH's Master Plan depends on these parking garages to better utilize its space. They plan to almost double the square footage of campus buildings while also increasing the amount of green space on campus. That's cool as hell.

I went to the law school so I know that part of the campus is sealed from the city. I was refering to UT. If you go to the main campus, the entire campus (except the drag) is surrounded by parking garages.

I went to the law school so I know that part of the campus is sealed from the city. I was refering to UT. If you go to the main campus, the entire campus (except the drag) is surrounded by parking garages.

Do UT-Austin's parking garages have retail on the ground floor like UH's garage?

I don't know if that's planned for Garage #2, but I certainly hope so. From the Master Plan map that I recently saw, it looks like Garage #2 will take out the Pizza Hut and the old Rothers/Black-Eyed Pea/Chinese Star strip center.

Hopefully the 1,000-bed Calhoun Lofts will generate enough traffic to warrant retail in the ground floor of Garage #2.

Kyle, I think I also read somewhere that there would eventually be some undergrad housing on the east side of Calhoun. Not on the horizon just yet, apparently.

You can do some amazing things with parking garages these days. Some, you can't even tell they're garages, from the street they look like buildings. Tech's "Garage Mahal" is a good example:

18_71.jpg

You're right! Maybe they can make it "architecturally significant" like the Hines garage on Main.

Oh wait, never mind.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
http://www.uh.edu/plantops/fpc_project.html

Have these been posted before, or are they new? I can't remember.

I have either seen or heard about the pics before. However I took a stroll on campus this weekend and found some interesting things happening. The retail development has started up and they had a building erected as well as some stone/brick type streets layed or paved. It looks very promising. The development is located on Univeristy Dr. and across from the Wellness center. Looks like it will be a pretty pedestrian friendly area. I am not sure if they have anything else planned for the area but this will be an attractive entry point into the University.

Also there is another project under way on Calhoun, I think it may be the lofts mentioned. They have broken ground and and began establishing the foundation I believe. However there are concrete stilts or beams I would guess one could expect to see the formation of a building pretty soon.

It's already set in stone that Cullen will close sometime in May or June. Leveling has begun on the foundation of the new Cemo Business Classroom Building and the old Y Building will be torn down over the summer to construct the new Engineering Building

However the buzz around campus is that enough funding is in place for construction to begin on the Endzone facility at Robertson. A timeline for construction is not surprisingly unknown but an announcement is expected to come around the bowl game. Also Dr. Khator is preparing to secure funding from the state to help build the new Wheeler St. dorms as well as major renovations to the Towers, which are LOOOONG overdue. Fundraising should begin soon after.

I really hope they raze Cougar Place. Those apartments were never intended to be used for so long. If you leave a piece of paper out for a couple of hours, it'll get soggy (unless you have a dehumidifier or the a/c running).

Good news about Renu Khator. She seems like a great replacement for Gogue. Even without as much state coddling at UT and A&M, UH seems to be doing just fine.

Go Coogs!

I really hope they raze Cougar Place. Those apartments were never intended to be used for so long. If you leave a piece of paper out for a couple of hours, it'll get soggy (unless you have a dehumidifier or the a/c running).

Good news about Renu Khator. She seems like a great replacement for Gogue. Even without as much state coddling at UT and A&M, UH seems to be doing just fine.

Go Coogs!

Yeah, totally!!!! I lived in Cougar Place for two years, and it's pretty horrible.

Cougar Place, exactly why I hate the new "dorms" that they built. Its the same crappy apartment style construction that doesn't last; read stick construction. Plus the way they are designed, doesn't lend itself to college type living. I mean they are fenced in and are far from campus proper by foot travel. What they should do is build a tower and say that nothing can be built that is more than 15 minutes by foot away. UH has serious urban sprawl.

I left U of H for UCLA back in the early 80's, managed to earn a Business degree in between hanging out at Westwood Village and crashing parties in Bel Air. The U of H lacks that kind of atmosphere surrounding it's campus they are no safe places to hang out, and partying in the area is dangerous. It will probably changed once the Third ward area increases it's new and renovated housing stock, get rid of the homeless crowd, drug dealers and clean up the blight.Would love to see the Scott St. corridor from I45 to Elgin lined with small shops, restaurants,clubs etc. the land is there just need someone with a vision!

Cougar Place, exactly why I hate the new "dorms" that they built. Its the same crappy apartment style construction that doesn't last; read stick construction. Plus the way they are designed, doesn't lend itself to college type living. I mean they are fenced in and are far from campus proper by foot travel. What they should do is build a tower and say that nothing can be built that is more than 15 minutes by foot away. UH has serious urban sprawl.

Stick construction doesn't have to be crappy. It really has more to do with whether they hired a crappy contractor or have maintained it crappily. Also, if all they did was to demolish and rebuild Cougar Place, they could get probably twice the density out of stick and much better quality, compared to what is there, and all with a price tag that students could still reasonably afford. Highrises are frickin expensive.

I know that a fenced community goes against what architects are indoctrinated to believe, but UH is still bordered by the 3rd Ward and still has some crime problems that are related to the neighborhood, so those tall rought iron fences are probably justified.

Edited by TheNiche

Having lived on campus all three of four years of attending, i always thought UHPD kept the core of the campus relatively crime-free; except for the normal college antics. The only places I felt uncomfortable late was along Scott , in the parking lots by the intramural fields, or walking past the Sigma Nu house on a friday night.

Cougar Place is in the right place for student living because if they ever bring rail to UH it will probably be along Wheeler and students living on campus will have easy access to it. I'm not sure the placement for the new lofts on Calhoun is a good idea because 1) it is far from other student residences and 2) they demolished a major student parking lot when UH doesn't have enough parking spaces for students.