I like the differences in all the UH buildings. They started with Art Deco when it was becoming really unpopular, so they really had no choice but to update. They have a smattering of buildings from styles throughout the decades. Some will appreciate, some will be realized as mistakes. You know that new Athletics Center is going to get ugly in ten years.

Edited by westguy

but right across the street from what I consider to be a rather bland Cesar Pelli.

To be honest I thought the same thing for a while but it does grow on you in a good way. I think the interior side of the building, not the inside but the courtyard area, is more appreciated than what you see from Cullen or Entrance 14. The simple curve and the small fins on the building that you can see from Cullen are appreciated. I think it looks better at night though.

That said the new library is a building that will age well in my opinion. Similar to E. Cullen.

To be honest I thought the same thing for a while but it does grow on you in a good way. I think the interior side of the building, not the inside but the courtyard area, is more appreciated than what you see from Cullen or Entrance 14. The simple curve and the small fins on the building that you can see from Cullen are appreciated. I think it looks better at night though.

That said the new library is a building that will age well in my opinion. Similar to E. Cullen.

Yeah, the Pelli looks alright from Cullen or the courtyard area, but it turns its back on Entrance 14 and all the foot and auto traffic that goes along with it. I don't like that, personally.

I like the library, but much of it is still underutilized. Seems like there are still too few computer terminals for students to use during peak hours.

Yeah, the Pelli looks alright from Cullen or the courtyard area, but it turns its back on Entrance 14 and all the foot and auto traffic that goes along with it. I don't like that, personally.

I like the library, but much of it is still underutilized. Seems like there are still too few computer terminals for students to use during peak hours.

yup, that's why i bought my laptop....it's impossible to find an open computer at noon

UH is more or less landlocked. They plan to expand up and get more dense.

Isnt UH right next to the old Schlumberger complex that they "aquired"? That could provide some allready in-place lab space or what have you. Is it still UH property?

Actually, maybe its not quite next door....I think you have to cross some train yard to get to that complex. But still, that's some valuable building space.

Does anyone know the combined student population between the 3 UH system campuses within the city limits? I wonder how the UH-System (Houston only) stacks up in numbers compared to UT-Austin and A&M. I'm only talking size and population here.

Isnt UH right next to the old Schlumberger complex that they "aquired"? That could provide some allready in-place lab space or what have you. Is it still UH property?

Actually, maybe its not quite next door....I think you have to cross some train yard to get to that complex. But still, that's some valuable building space.

I think the name is "university park" or something similar but i don't believe UH owns it.

UH has a lot of back office people there. Or they did.

Schlumbeger (sp) gave the land to UH. UH leases (or did) a good chunk to the Post Office.

According to the linked article from February 2005, UH only leased (or leases) some space at the former Schlumberger property. It was neither given to UH nor purchased by UH. The property is now called University Business Park.

University Business Park

While I can see it continue to function as a business park, I don't know if I can see it as a development for housing. I would suspect it would be rather isolated (unless you want that sort of thing) from the general population, not to mention the sound of the trains going back and forth constantly. The trains don't sound their horns in that area very often because there are no intersections that are THAT close to the area.

Housing for students is totally out of the question as it wouldn't be very convenient for them unless they made a pedestrian bridge over the tracks or some sort of shuttle. That in itself would be economically ineffective.

I am rather curious what the MFAH is using the space for, however.

Great news!

1,000 new beds on campus will make a HUGE impact. I love that the U of H is finally realizing that they need to cater more to on-campus and near-campus students, faculty, and staff by building more amenities. 10,000 square feet of retail space combined with the space in the new garage and the space in the garage planned for the stadium era will make the area so much better.

The majority of living space will be single occupancy efficiencies and one-bedroom loft apartments. The remainder will be two-bedroom loft apartments featuring private bedrooms.

Notable features of the design include courtyards, recreation areas, seminar rooms, a movie theater, coffee bar, lounge and social space and a catering kitchen.

Also incorporated in the project will be 10,000 square feet of retail space.

Right before this the article talked about the residential building for graduates, so I'm confused if this quote is talking about the building for the graduates or the undergrad students. They are two different projects, right?

And I couldn't tell by the writing if this new building is going to be a mixed development or not.

Right before this the article talked about the residential building for graduates, so I'm confused if this quote is talking about the building for the graduates or the undergrad students. They are two different projects, right?

And I couldn't tell by the writing if this new building is going to be a mixed development or not.

The building will be for graduate students.

It will incorporate 10,000 sf of retail in addition to the 1,000-bed residential component, so it will be a "mixed use" development.

• 3 months later...

I love whats UofH is doing! This is going to improve the 3rd ward area greatly rather than just puting up Lofts and cafes and calling it by some fancy name (i.e. the Museum District). VicMan don't you think this statement is a little harsh to the not so wealthy people in Third Ward who want to use the areas growth for their advantage? "The African-American community left would be wealthy and influential."

I love whats UofH is doing! This is going to improve the 3rd ward area greatly rather than just puting up Lofts and cafes and calling it by some fancy name (i.e. the Museum District). VicMan don't you think this statement is a little harsh to the not so wealthy people in Third Ward who want to use the areas growth for their advantage? "The African-American community left would be wealthy and influential."

It didn't seem that VicMan was making a judgement statement, promoting such a vision; it was just a recognition of one plausible and indeed likely scenario.

little for sprawling type expansion. planning will be essential for future growth in order to use the remaining space in the best manner.

Wonder how much consideration has gone into building under as in the downtown tunnel system. Classrooms underground why not? I'm sure its being done elsewhere and maybe here too?

PS, if ever around the campus visit the Channel 8 studios, totally cool. :D

Wonder how much consideration has gone into building under as in the downtown tunnel system. Classrooms underground why not? I'm sure its being done elsewhere and maybe here too?

PS, if ever around the campus visit the Channel 8 studios, totally cool. :D

I don't mind underground classrooms but I hope UH never goes the route of connecting buildings through underground walkways. I can admit it can be sometimes tempting when walking in harsh weather (heat or rain) around campus, but in the end I personally would never want it just to keep the vibrancy of the campus.