Jump to content

University of Houston Campus Developments


elecpharm

Recommended Posts

who was flying their drone yesterday evening over by the new law building?

just before sunset there was a drone hovering around the new law building for a good 10 minutes.

anyone here have some new photos of the new law building going up in the midst of a great sunset they want to share?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/29/2021 at 10:37 AM, samagon said:

who was flying their drone yesterday evening over by the new law building?

just before sunset there was a drone hovering around the new law building for a good 10 minutes.

anyone here have some new photos of the new law building going up in the midst of a great sunset they want to share?

This is probably that drone flyover. https://fb.watch/v/rllPGAOv/

Below are more recent images. 

1.png

2.png

3.png

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/4/2021 at 10:49 AM, Stew said:

This is probably that drone flyover. https://fb.watch/v/rllPGAOv/

Below are more recent images. 

1.png

2.png

3.png

I am a passionate UH Alumni and try to keep track of all things UH from my die hard sports following to building developments on campus, but I have seen nothing on what UH plans to do with the old law building once the new one is completed. While they did give them a nice addition with a radio and television studio for projects and experience, the Media and broadcasting program could use a lot more room and consolidated classroom space. Maybe that be a good use for the old law building.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

I am a passionate UH Alumni and try to keep track of all things UH from my die hard sports following to building developments on campus, but I have seen nothing on what UH plans to do with the old law building once the new one is completed. While they did give them a nice addition with a radio and television studio for projects and experience, the Media and broadcasting program could use a lot more room and consolidated classroom space. Maybe that be a good use for the old law building.

The new building would be located adjacent to the current 50-year-old Bates Law Building. In addition to its technological obsolescence, the Bate building never fully recovered from the severe flooding of Tropical Storm Allison in 2001, and more recently from Hurricanes Ike and Harvey.

More than half the building is underground, exposing operational space to recurring water damage during even moderately heavy rainfall. About half of the library space is unusable because of flooding that inflicted about $40 million is losses to its collection.

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-uh-campaigns-for-90m-law-school-building/

  • Like 8
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I remember when the Subway reopened there at the Law School…

I ate many a decent sandwich, I also remember the last time I ate there.  

One of the workers making the sandwiches motioned for her manager to come over, manager comes over, she motions towards the loaf of bread.  The manager asks “did he see it?”.  The worker answers “no he did not!”  Mind you this is my sandwich!  I asked “what was wrong with the bread?”  They both look up at me and just stare through me with utter contempt.  I asked again “was something wrong with the bread?”  (I was being 100% polite, I wasn’t angry, just concerned). Again, they didn’t answer me but just continued to stare through me as if I weren’t there.  They did this another two times before I decided I wouldn’t eat that loaf of bread!  So I decided to play it safe and walk away, and not eat the: roach wing/rat dropping/drop of human blood/booger (who knows!)!  

The real kicker is the girl behind me blissfully accepted the same loaf even though she witnessed everything and even commented to me about it!

A new law school building is greatly needed!

  • Like 4
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, arche_757 said:

The real kicker is the girl behind me blissfully accepted the same loaf even though she witnessed everything and even commented to me about it!

To be fair, I think we all did worse for free/cheap food in law school.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, JBTX said:

To be fair, I think we all did worse for free/cheap food in law school.

Hold on, just how many attorneys are in here? And more specifically, people who went to UH Law Center?

I guess I shouldn't be surprised, if Reddit has taught me anything it's that we attorneys are masters at efficiently wasting time on the internet while in the office.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm an attorney.

UH undergrad, but STCL for law school. Yes, I am a master of efficiently wasting time on the internet while in the office. No, I am not billing any clients for this post (yet).

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 7/6/2021 at 1:40 PM, hindesky said:

The new building would be located adjacent to the current 50-year-old Bates Law Building. In addition to its technological obsolescence, the Bate building never fully recovered from the severe flooding of Tropical Storm Allison in 2001, and more recently from Hurricanes Ike and Harvey.

More than half the building is underground, exposing operational space to recurring water damage during even moderately heavy rainfall. About half of the library space is unusable because of flooding that inflicted about $40 million is losses to its collection.

https://www.virtualbx.com/construction-preview/houston-uh-campaigns-for-90m-law-school-building/

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the real need for the new law school and the new specs and amenities that are coming with it. I was just wondering what UH is going to do with the old law building once the new one is done. Are they just simply going to demolish the old law school?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

Thanks for the info. I am aware of the real need for the new law school and the new specs and amenities that are coming with it. I was just wondering what UH is going to do with the old law building once the new one is done. Are they just simply going to demolish the old law school?

I'm guessing, but I would think they would demolish it and build another parking garage since it's a money pit for constant repairs.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I see that UH owns the warehouses south of Wholesale Electric, has there been any mention of future developments in this area? I wonder if they are waiting to buy out the Wholesale Electric property as well.

uh-property.JPG

Edited by robalob
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, samagon said:

students are definitely back on campus! 

the activity was awesome to see today.


Interesting.  My son is going to be taking all online courses at UH again this semester and tells me the students and profs seem to prefer it that way.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, hindesky said:

Med school.

7lJp1ie.jpg

Hilton addition.

jMqASJ2.jpg

QTmrSwZ.jpg

Law school.

yhat1VW.jpg

snhyo0C.jpg

 

Trees serve a great purpose and are beautiful but we won't be able to enjoy the beauty of the building because of the trees in front of the medical school. I wish they could have arranged them differently or have smaller ones.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, texan said:

UH gets quite a bit of love in the newly passed TRB (now called capital construction assistance projects) bill.

Medical research facility: $59,897,111

Hobby School of Public Affairs Building: $40,000,000

IDEA Lab: $52,409,972

https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/873/billtext/pdf/SB00052F.pdf#navpanes=0

Is this medical research facility the college of medicine building under construction now or is this a new building yet to be built. If it is a new building, I haven't heard any news of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Stew said:

Is this medical research facility the college of medicine building under construction now or is this a new building yet to be built. If it is a new building, I haven't heard any news of it.

Maybe it is The Health and Biomedical Sciences Building 2. https://uh.edu/facilities-services/projects/in-design/HBSB2/

Edited by Houston19514
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Stew said:

Building 2 is already constructed. 

alright then.  :-)   UH should update their website.  ;-)

Just curious, when was it constructed and where is it?

In any event, I doubt it is the under-construction medical school building.

Edited by Houston19514
Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is from memory and I am officially old so it's not reliable, but I think UH built the building but several floors were not built out. Could this be funding to actually build out different labs in shell space? 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's something interesting from UH's website regarding their lobbying priorities:

Medical Research Facility at TMC3

Fund debt service to construct facilities for medical and health-related innovations at the proposed TMC3 facility at the Texas Medical Center in Houston. These facilities will enable and promote entrepreneurship, including a close partnership between basic scientists, engineers, technologists, data experts, business disruptors and health care professionals.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

This is from memory and I am officially old so it's not reliable, but I think UH built the building but several floors were not built out. Could this be funding to actually build out different labs in shell space? 

I know they already built out some floors in Health Science building 2 to start the college of medicine for 2 years until the medical school building is complete. The new medical school building will be ready Fall 2022.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That could be part of the answer. Medical classroom space is not the same as advanced biomedical research lab space. I bet the hospital will have patient rooms, doctor/professor offices, and classroom space and the BioMed Building will have advanced labs. Labs can cost tens of millions to build out. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

That could be part of the answer. Medical classroom space is not the same as advanced biomedical research lab space. I bet the hospital will have patient rooms, doctor/professor offices, and classroom space and the BioMed Building will have advanced labs. Labs can cost tens of millions to build out. 

Whoah... I don't think UH is building a hospital. Are they?

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Here's something interesting from UH's website regarding their lobbying priorities:

Medical Research Facility at TMC3

Fund debt service to construct facilities for medical and health-related innovations at the proposed TMC3 facility at the Texas Medical Center in Houston. These facilities will enable and promote entrepreneurship, including a close partnership between basic scientists, engineers, technologists, data experts, business disruptors and health care professionals.

The UH new building may be part of the new TMC3 which is the massive research campus near the Texas Medical Center. All the other Houston medical schools are part of it so I suppose UH will be also.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/TMC3-a-massive-biomedical-research-campus-at-16423937.php#photo-21414206

Edited by Stew
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sorry, didn't mean to imply a full service hospital. However, it is my understanding that with a heavy focus on producing primary care physicians that the new facility will include patient care services. Most faculty will be primary care physicians who will run practices out of the new building. So there will be waiting rooms, exam rooms, and patient care rooms at a minimum. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 12:58 PM, Houston19514 said:

Here's something interesting from UH's website regarding their lobbying priorities:

Medical Research Facility at TMC3

Fund debt service to construct facilities for medical and health-related innovations at the proposed TMC3 facility at the Texas Medical Center in Houston. These facilities will enable and promote entrepreneurship, including a close partnership between basic scientists, engineers, technologists, data experts, business disruptors and health care professionals.

In the UH President's Fall Address, Renu Khator mentioned that the medical research facility will be built in the Texas Medical Center or next to the new college of medicine building on campus. 

https://uh.edu/president/communications/fall-address/2021/

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...