Does anybody know what will happen to the land that U of H owns on the corner of Braeswood and Wyndale? It's all fenced off now with "University of Houston" property signs. It is right across the street and down a bit from the Parkwood Apartment site where Baylor is building their new facility(ies) soon..

I can't find this location on the map. Can anyone give me more info of this location?

it is unfortunate that the Y building will be taken out. it has been housing the various engineering student groups for years. I hope that they get space in the new building. it looks fantastic and appropriate for the college of engineering!

yup...i study in the little buildings next to it, it feels like home

Why should UH leave the "taxpayers alone".....given the state has historically imposed a unequal system of distributing funds to universities.....UT and A&M have hogged taxpayer funds for over a hundred years.

I'm surprised UH along with TT and other universities haven't filed a class action against the state for a discrimination of fund allocations. Now, as the most cumbersome and outdated state constitution in the country, the Texas constitution has a built in form of discrimination against all other state colleges and universities (i.e. PUF). And once again, these two colleges and their alumni do their best to continue this tradition.

Pathetically egocentric and myopic, given their interests are not on the residents of Texas and Texas as a whole, but the prestige of their own school at the expense of others.

Looks like a great building....keep it going UH. With the addition of the University rail line and other major improvements including a substantial housing increase, UH is making a serious statement as to its direction in the upcoming century.

Edited by nyc_tex

Why should UH leave the "taxpayers alone".....given the state has historically imposed a unequal system of distributing funds to universities.....UT and A&M have hogged taxpayer funds for over a hundred years.

I'm surprised UH along with TT and other universities haven't filed a class action against the state for a discrimination of fund allocations. Now, as the most cumbersome and outdated state constitution in the country, the Texas constitution has a built in form of discrimination against all other state colleges and universities (i.e. PUF). And once again, these two colleges and their alumni do their best to continue this tradition.

Pathetically egocentric and myopic, given their interests are not on the residents of Texas and Texas as a whole, but the prestige of their own school at the expense of others.

Looks like a great building....keep it going UH. With the addition of the University rail line and other major improvements including a substantial housing increase, UH is making a serious statement as to its direction in the upcoming century.

I'm pretty sure Vic was talking about the taxpaying property owners in the neighborhood of the University, not the taxpayers of the state as a whole. But I also think Vic's post was pointless, as it is my understanding that the university doesn't have any plans to acquire much additional property, if any, whether tax-delinquent or tax-paying.

I was very much talking about property around the university.

In that case, I should ask UH if the university has any plans, as of now, to expand its size.

I'm pretty sure Vic was talking about the taxpaying property owners in the neighborhood of the University, not the taxpayers of the state as a whole. But I also think Vic's post was pointless, as it is my understanding that the university doesn't have any plans to acquire much additional property, if any, whether tax-delinquent or tax-paying.

I was very much talking about property around the university.

In that case, I should ask UH if the university has any plans, as of now, to expand its size.

Apparently I did misinterpret your statement, my apologies, Vicman.

UH is landlocked as others mentioned and is attempting to use New Urbanism to reconstitute the campus and use land in an efficient but community-oriented way.

That's really the ugly side of the campus, but I like the new building. Are they ever going to finish Calhoun and bring it up to Elgin somehow?

They "disconnected" Calhoun from Elgin back in the early 90's when I was at UH. I don't believe Calhoun will ever connect directly to Elgin, due to the geometrics of Spur 5.

There is an "internal" street that connects Elgin to Calhoun through the campus. I am curious to see if it is improved in the coming years, once Cullen is closed to vehicular traffic. Once Cullen is closed, that narrow drive will be a major circulator around campus.

I don't know if I'd say that side of campus is ugly...just barren. However, I understand that side of campus is vastly improved from the olden days when there was a slaughterhouse by the railroad. Some old-timers have told me that was not a pretty smell. Of course, that's going back to the days when the Y-Building was "state of the art". :blush:

I don't know if I'd say that side of campus is ugly...just barren. However, I understand that side of campus is vastly improved from the olden days when there was a slaughterhouse by the railroad. Some old-timers have told me that was not a pretty smell. Of course, that's going back to the days when the Y-Building was "state of the art". :blush:

i'd have to agree about the barren aspect. I had an office in the y-building in the 80's and it definitely was old then. but I have to say i made some great friends their that i still talk to to this day! i'm glad to see that engineering is getting the money that the other colleges have been getting.

Edited by musicman

However, I understand that side of campus is vastly improved from the olden days when there was a slaughterhouse by the railroad. Some old-timers have told me that was not a pretty smell. Of course, that's going back to the days when the Y-Building was "state of the art".

And all that is left is the oldest mesquite tree in Harris Co.

And you can guess where the seed came from.

I admit I have never stepped a toe on this side of campus so I am not that familiar with how the building lies. Is this close to the Satellite?

No. It's nestled between the law village and the business school. I think (for now) there's a big open area between it and the University Center.

Notice in the model sketch that there will also be a proposed 'new student housing' next to the Engineering Complex. This is in line with the UH vision of becoming a livable and educational part of the city. It's refershing to see a section of the city actually have the authority to enforce a master plan and one that would actually guide what is best. What is going on a the University of Houston is very exciting and the rest of the districts in Houston (uh...downtown) should be very interested in what planning can actually accomplish and that coming up with some type of enforcement to what goes up may be beneficial to everyone.

Also, does anyone have the latest information on the University Rail extension? Have they decided how it is going to meet with the campus?

Notice in the model sketch that there will also be a proposed 'new student housing' next to the Engineering Complex. This is in line with the UH vision of becoming a livable and educational part of the city. It's refershing to see a section of the city actually have the authority to enforce a master plan and one that would actually guide what is best. What is going on a the University of Houston is very exciting and the rest of the districts in Houston (uh...downtown) should be very interested in what planning can actually accomplish and that coming up with some type of enforcement to what goes up may be beneficial to everyone.

Also, does anyone have the latest information on the University Rail extension? Have they decided how it is going to meet with the campus?

Jury is out on the rail issue until March.

UH has the ability to execute plans because it is the owner of its property and has viable revenue streams. The City doesn't own downtown, therefore, it cannot plan effectively, short of buying and building from scratch on its own dime. Even if the citizens of Houston authorized the City to institute land use controls, zoning by itself does not guarantee private investment in a way that would bring a plan to fruition.

And actually, if you look at the history of UH attempts at planning, their vision changes ever so often so as to produce a disorderly campus that isn't at all aesthetically integrated or cohesive. It has plenty of examples of good architecture, but they don't always coexist very well.

And actually, if you look at the history of UH attempts at planning, their vision changes ever so often so as to produce a disorderly campus that isn't at all aesthetically integrated or cohesive. It has plenty of examples of good architecture, but they don't always coexist very well.

Is this a fancy way of saying you think all the buildings should looks the same?

I like the variety, but my favorite buildins are the very first ones like Zeke and Roy Cullen.

Is this a fancy way of saying you think all the buildings should looks the same?

I like the variety, but my favorite buildins are the very first ones like Zeke and Roy Cullen.

I like the Fleming building, personally...but right across the street from what I consider to be a rather bland Cesar Pelli. Don't care for that one.

I'd like for there to be more of a unifying theme. Something tangible and permanent that people think of when they think of UH.