University Center (some images are a little blurry)

VXI34UN.jpg?1

afKAf2j.jpg?1

At the bottom floor

uqVheyD.jpg?1

for some reason the "Tier One" text on the walls really irks me. UH is a great school, many of my friends went there, i almost went there.. but IMO a tier 1 school shouldnt have to write that fact in giant text on the walls...

• Like 1

Added bonus, beautiful architecture?..........for an architecture forum?

No, I meant the "Hines" part. that seemed weirdly specific yet totally misleading. It almost made it seem like a recent Hines development.

It is home to the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture, but the building is generally just referred to as the Architecture Building.

As for beautiful... I dont think you've spent very much time in the building if that's your description of it.

They took out the longhorn statue.

I've been told it's in several pieces in boxes somewhere over in the ERP, waiting for someone to figure out what to do with it. It's not designed to be placed outside in the elements, so they need to figure out how to weather-proof the material or where to put it. My suggestion would be the trash. That thing was awful.

• Like 1

No, I meant the "Hines" part. that seemed weirdly specific yet totally misleading. It almost made it seem like a recent Hines development.

It is home to the Gerald D. Hines College of Architecture, but the building is generally just referred to as the Architecture Building.

As for beautiful... I dont think you've spent very much time in the building if that's your description of it.

First off, it is widely known as either the Gerald D. Hines building and of course simply the architecture building. 

Second, this is clearly an older building and sometimes I post pictures of older buildings at the end of my photo collections. It was specific because I know how many people on this forum like Hines. As for misleading..... uh, ok. 

Lastly, I like it and that's all that matters to me. Not to reveal too much about myself, I have spent a few semesters in there and I still go there on occasion to meet my friends that are still in the program. There is so much creativity birthed in this building. 

for some reason the "Tier One" text on the walls really irks me. UH is a great school, many of my friends went there, i almost went there.. but IMO a tier 1 school shouldnt have to write that fact in giant text on the walls...

Totally agree, I appreciate the fact that we're a Tier One school but the honest truth is that while Tier One is a good thing it's not something that other schools in the state (Texas Tech, who became Tier One when we did) have gone around boosting about. Tech has accomplished Tier One status and is moving forward to the next mission of improving their national ranking and that's why they've made no big hoopla over their Tier One status. The fact that UH has and continues to do so makes me fear that the administrations goals were to simply reach Tier One and be done. Sorry to ramble just something that I've observing.

The UC is beautiful though!

• Like 1

I've been told it's in several pieces in boxes somewhere over in the ERP, waiting for someone to figure out what to do with it. It's not designed to be placed outside in the elements, so they need to figure out how to weather-proof the material or where to put it. My suggestion would be the trash. That thing was awful.

Yes but if you know anything about the history between the University of Houston and University of Texas you would definitely want it somewhere.  Everything from where we got our Cougar paw hand symbol, to the orchestrated effort by UT to keep UH out of the Big 12 (proposed Big 16), to the way they have laws written in Austin to make sure less state funds actually go to the other public universities in the state, etc.

UH had suceeeded in spite of what UT has done to keep the University of Houston down.......... and that statue is a testament to our David vs Goliath spirit. A spirit that created a Tier One University out of a grass roots program in a Houston area high school cafeteria.

• Like 1

It's a bit of promotional misdirection.  The tier 1 status UH gained in 2011 was a classification for research institutions with very high research activity.  As such, I'm sure it means a lot to the administation and to research faculty, but the fact is that it's just a recognition that UH has a lot of research activity going on.  The tier 1 banners and signs pasted all over campus don't mention that it's just about research activity.  This can give the impression that UH is higher in the national college rankings than it really is and, imho, this impression is being deliberately fosterd by the administration.

Yes but if you know anything about the history between the University of Houston and University of Texas you would definitely want it somewhere.  Everything from where we got our Cougar paw hand symbol, to the orchestrated effort by UT to keep UH out of the Big 12 (proposed Big 16), to the way they have laws written in Austin to make sure less state funds actually go to the other public universities in the state, etc.

UH had suceeeded in spite of what UT has done to keep the University of Houston down.......... and that statue is a testament to our David vs Goliath spirit. A spirit that created a Tier One University out of a grass roots program in a Houston area high school cafeteria.

I haven't seen this statute, but the idea intrigues me.  I hope they can find a place for it.  If they can't resurrect it, they should commission a new one, or maybe several with a couger mangling the mascots of other rival schools.

I noticed with the openning of the new UC, the food trucks have been banished to lot #2, between the engineering and business schools.  So far all I've seen is Bernie's and Ricebox.  It'd be sad if they permanently drop the other three truck spaces in favor of the McDonalds, Chick-fi-A and Panda Express in the UC.

I thought the main goal for those food trucks was to make up for the UC construction that closed the fast food joints there.

Yeah...that's my understanding, too, but I think it was a good idea for both the students and the food truck community beyond just being a stop-gap measure.

• Like 1

I know the owner of the rice box, when he started, he had told me it was just for when the uc was closed, but since they had to go through the process of working with aramark, maybe they let them stick around? I'll ask him.

If there's one thing worse than Starbucks, it's Aramark.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

ERPRender1.jpg

On Wednesday, UH signed a $25 million deal with the Texas Collegiate Regional Center for the construction of a new building at the Energy Research Park which will house laboratories and startup businesses for commercialized technology created by UH faculty.

http://thedailycougar.com/2014/05/16/investment-deal-builds-new-building-faculty-start-ups-energy-research-park/

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The stretch of Elgin next the UH campus needs some serious concrete work. Portions have sunk several inches and the asphalt patches-on-top-of-patches have broken down. Its condition certainly doesn't reflect well on the importance of the University to the city. Dr. Khator and the Chancellors really need to pressure COH so Elgin gets on the street repair priority list.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Seeing as how this is an architecture forum, how would one characterize the style that the University of Houston has adopted for the surge of new construction we have seen over the past several years? Does the university have established design guidelines?