Jump to content
elecpharm

University of Houston Campus Developments

Recommended Posts

The emphasis is on providing primary care to an underserved area. I don't believe the TMC could be viewed as underserved. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am on an unrelated Board for U of H, but we were briefed a number of times on the Medical school and choosing the location was a tough, but very well consider decision.  They seriously considered being in the Medical Center and even identified an available piece of land, but in the end the choice was to be near campus to reinforce the ties to the university.

 

As for the exact location and preserving the trees, I'm afraid that whole area will probably be developed over time.  If you're not familiar with the U of H area, the campus is pretty hemmed in on the north by I-45, the east by the railroad tracks (with the exception of the Innovation Center (ex. Schlumberger facility) which is really a separate location) and the south by viable residential in University Oaks/Riverside Terrace.  So I think that area of land to the southeast is destined to become part of the campus.  There is political pressure from Third Ward leaders for U of H to not expand to the west as they feel that it would diminish the historically African American nature of the neighborhood.  Plus TSU and Yates High School are right there on the border already.  There is some room to expand to the north right up against I-45, but that land is currently serving as sports fields and personally I think that's a good idea as intramural sports add to the University experience and the mind boggling to me 6000+ students who live on-campus need recreation areas. 

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, innerloop said:

I am on an unrelated Board for U of H, but we were briefed a number of times on the Medical school and choosing the location was a tough, but very well consider decision.  They seriously considered being in the Medical Center and even identified an available piece of land, but in the end the choice was to be near campus to reinforce the ties to the university.

 

As for the exact location and preserving the trees, I'm afraid that whole area will probably be developed over time.  If you're not familiar with the U of H area, the campus is pretty hemmed in on the north by I-45, the east by the railroad tracks (with the exception of the Innovation Center (ex. Schlumberger facility) which is really a separate location) and the south by viable residential in University Oaks/Riverside Terrace.  So I think that area of land to the southeast is destined to become part of the campus.  There is political pressure from Third Ward leaders for U of H to not expand to the west as they feel that it would diminish the historically African American nature of the neighborhood.  Plus TSU and Yates High School are right there on the border already.  There is some room to expand to the north right up against I-45, but that land is currently serving as sports fields and personally I think that's a good idea as intramural sports add to the University experience and the mind-boggling to me 6000+ students who live on-campus need recreation areas. 

Based on rendering it looks like they are going to carve out room in the trees for the building and parking lot. I just hope they do this with any future expansions on the land. The campus they are building in Pearland is being built with maintaining foliage in mind. Also, I believe there is a chunk of the land in the flood plain so they can not build on some of it anyway. 

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, innerloop said:

As for the exact location and preserving the trees, I'm afraid that whole area will probably be developed over time.  If you're not familiar with the U of H area, the campus is pretty hemmed in on the north by I-45, the east by the railroad tracks (with the exception of the Innovation Center (ex. Schlumberger facility) which is really a separate location) and the south by viable residential in University Oaks/Riverside Terrace.  So I think that area of land to the southeast is destined to become part of the campus.  There is political pressure from Third Ward leaders for U of H to not expand to the west as they feel that it would diminish the historically African American nature of the neighborhood.  

 

North:  I always hope that UH can somehow get all of the land east of Scott and west of the RR tracks up to 45.  Buying Wholesale Electric and the old falling down homes north of Elgin would be awesome.

 

West:  I guess I could understand that pressure from the community if UH was all one race but, as it is one of the most diverse schools in the world, it seems like the pressure is to keep a neighborhood one race instead of many.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, texas911 said:

That's a dumb place to put a medical school. Separated from the main campus AND the TMC. Turning its back on resources that is existing already and could attract great students!

 

 

Don't forget HBU!

Not really.  It the perfect location for the Med School due to proximity from TMC and it will serve the 3rd Ward community so that location is easily accessible.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/22/2019 at 8:19 AM, innerloop said:

I am on an unrelated Board for U of H, but we were briefed a number of times on the Medical school and choosing the location was a tough, but very well consider decision.  They seriously considered being in the Medical Center and even identified an available piece of land, but in the end the choice was to be near campus to reinforce the ties to the university.

 

As for the exact location and preserving the trees, I'm afraid that whole area will probably be developed over time.  If you're not familiar with the U of H area, the campus is pretty hemmed in on the north by I-45, the east by the railroad tracks (with the exception of the Innovation Center (ex. Schlumberger facility) which is really a separate location) and the south by viable residential in University Oaks/Riverside Terrace.  So I think that area of land to the southeast is destined to become part of the campus.  There is political pressure from Third Ward leaders for U of H to not expand to the west as they feel that it would diminish the historically African American nature of the neighborhood.  Plus TSU and Yates High School are right there on the border already.  There is some room to expand to the north right up against I-45, but that land is currently serving as sports fields and personally I think that's a good idea as intramural sports add to the University experience and the mind boggling to me 6000+ students who live on-campus need recreation areas. 

 

Thanks for the insight, especially for those posters that thought my post had no credibility in regards to having the med school located in the World Renowned Texas Medical Center. Seems the powers that be also thought that it was a good idea. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 5:20 PM, texas911 said:

That's a dumb place to put a medical school. Separated from the main campus AND the TMC. Turning its back on resources that is existing already and could attract great students!

 

 

Don't forget HBU!

Disagree.  I  travel that area daily.  It  a straight shot into the TMC without  having to get on the Highway. It  a 5 min metro ride back to the main campus. It very present could is adding to a area that growing.  I remember when that area was a ghost town with a few fast food places and a store. Now there a ton of fast food places. a number of black owned  businesses . A huge club / lounge that quite popular with the college age and early 30s crowd.  Only things missing is residential  and these still a number of land plots available for even that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, texas911 said:

 

Thanks for the insight, especially for those posters that thought my post had no credibility in regards to having the med school located in the World Renowned Texas Medical Center. Seems the powers that be also thought that it was a good idea. 

I didn't read one quote that said your idea was not credible. What I read were the explanations of why it was chosen. 

You were the one that started this by saying it was a dumb place to put the school. Maybe if you had dug a little and understood why they decided to build where they are, you wouldn't have said something derogatory and not sounded like you had no knowledge of the thoughtful consideration that was taken in coming up with their decision.I think that Jmitch94 and arbpro made it very clear why they chose where they did.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, texas911 said:

 

Thanks for the insight, especially for those posters that thought my post had no credibility in regards to having the med school located in the World Renowned Texas Medical Center. Seems the powers that be also thought that it was a good idea. 

You are in error. The school has long wanted a medical school. When the idea was finally facing fruition, the University considered all options, including the TMC. When it was decided that the focus would be on primary care for an underserved area, the TMC option was no longer viable. The school then proceeded with its business plan idea which had the side benefit of allowing the medical school to be near the main campus. Apparently you think that was a bad idea. What you are really saying is that you think having a medical school dedicated to primary care in a need location is a bad idea. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, arbpro said:

You are in error. The school has long wanted a medical school. When the idea was finally facing fruition, the University considered all options, including the TMC. When it was decided that the focus would be on primary care for an underserved area, the TMC option was no longer viable. The school then proceeded with its business plan idea which had the side benefit of allowing the medical school to be near the main campus. Apparently you think that was a bad idea. What you are really saying is that you think having a medical school dedicated to primary care in a need location is a bad idea. 

 

3 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

The UH administration also thought it would be better if the med school was located on campus so that there could be a collaboration with other colleges on campus. Also by building the med school on campus, it assists in the accreditation of the whole UH main campus as one and especially towards more tier 1 and academic awards.

 

3 minutes ago, cougarpad said:

 

 

Edited by cougarpad

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys are unbelievable. One, I'm not against UH getting a medical school, I'm a proud alum, so let's get that out of the way. But I'll clue you in on why the Texas Medical Center became the juggernaut that its become. Its because its land locked. All the member institutions had no choice but to build next to each other and that critical mass of sharing, exchanging, pooling of employees, physicians, scientists is why the TMC is so great. Really, others have tried to replicate it but without success. Do you think the Debakey/Cooley rivalry could have occurred if they were opposite sides of town, for example? Maybe, but it sure didn't hurt them being right next to each other. It would have been much better to have the medical school participate in this. That's all I'm saying. But there was a lot of back room politics to get the state to approve the school, so who knows, maybe locating it in an "underserved" area that several posters point out is just minutes form the TMC (where you can get as much underserved patients as you want, I'm looking at you Ben Taub), was the only way for UT the state allow it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While that sounds great, I think it is great that UH is building the medical school on campus to increase the perspective of UH as a medical college. Texas A&M, Baylor and UT have longevity. UH can attain similar status maybe but it is not quite there yet. Let’s build up our medical program on campus and then expand to TMC later on and more community involvement with the university in the 3rd ward is always a positive thing.

Also these other colleges have a ton of more money than UH. Land is cheaper in 3rd ward.

Edited by ZRFkris
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, texas911 said:

You guys are unbelievable. One, I'm not against UH getting a medical school, I'm a proud alum, so let's get that out of the way. But I'll clue you in on why the Texas Medical Center became the juggernaut that its become. Its because its land locked. All the member institutions had no choice but to build next to each other and that critical mass of sharing, exchanging, pooling of employees, physicians, scientists is why the TMC is so great. Really, others have tried to replicate it but without success. Do you think the Debakey/Cooley rivalry could have occurred if they were opposite sides of town, for example? Maybe, but it sure didn't hurt them being right next to each other. It would have been much better to have the medical school participate in this. That's all I'm saying. But there was a lot of back room politics to get the state to approve the school, so who knows, maybe locating it in an "underserved" area that several posters point out is just minutes form the TMC (where you can get as much underserved patients as you want, I'm looking at you Ben Taub), was the only way for UT the state allow it. 

I worked at TMC for 22 years. One advantage the UH Med School will most likely have in its location, is much better parking. Parking at TMC is expensive and if your  cheapskate like me, a long walk.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Between flooding issues with the old building, not to mention it just being generally pretty grim (even when Brutalist was fashionable), this is a positive development.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, hindesky said:

Quad. Parking garage is open.

bXtssNV.jpg

 

 

It's a shame they knocked down the old quads instead of renovating them. This new building looks pretty soul-less and generic and isn't going to age well. From the sounds of it, they're going to make the same mistake with Moody.

Edited by htine
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If ever a new building at UH needed a starchitect, the new law building was it. Those alums must be the best earners from the whole school! That new building looks boring and cheap.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you suggesting that school resources should be distributed based on which students are likely to be the best earners? At a public school? Cause that's pretty messed up.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Texasota said:

Are you suggesting that school resources should be distributed based on which students are likely to be the best earners? At a public school? Cause that's pretty messed up.

 

Yea because they can fund raise better than any other college at UH! You realize that's how it works right? What's the most expensive buildings on campus? The stadium? How do you think they paid for it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Texasota said:

Are you suggesting that school resources should be distributed based on which students are likely to be the best earners? At a public school? Cause that's pretty messed up.

 

donations can be tipped to go wherever the person doing the donating stipulates.

 

if I were a law student alum, and I had ambulance chasing money, I'd donate a few million to get my name on the building and also to get a better looking building.

 

The Samagon Law Building. it would be a mix of Gaudi and the Disney Music Hall.

Edited by samagon
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, samagon said:

 

donations can be tipped to go wherever the person doing the donating stipulates.

 

if I were a law student alum, and I had ambulance chasing money, I'd donate a few million to get my name on the building and also to get a better looking building.

 

The Samagon Law Building. it would be a mix of Gaudi and the Disney Music Hall.

I know you're half joking but the playing field at the football stadium is named after a UH Law graduate. He passed away or he'd probably be giving a lead gift for the new Law Building.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

University of Houston to kick off another renovation project 

 
laura-gillespie-1*90xx1000-1333-0-0.png
By Laura Gillespie  – Reporter, Houston Business Journal 
7 hours ago
 

The University of Houston’s Graduate College of Social Work is undergoing a $3.9 million renovation. 

The improvements will redo the entire first floor of the GCSW building, creating a new lobby and new entry pavilion, a press release said. The new lobby will have lounge and table seating surrounding a display wall and interactive installations. Classrooms will be rebuilt with new configurations, acoustics and technology. The new pavilion will brighten up the current façade, highlighting the building’s main entrance and providing a student common area. 

Houston-based RDLR Architects is servings as the architect and designer of record, while Kitchell Contractors Inc., which has a Houston office, is the builder. 

The project is being paid for in part by donations from five Houston-area foundations and individuals, the release stated, including $1.25 million from the Mehta Family Foundation and $1 million from the Houston Endowment. Other donors include the Hamill Foundation, Frees Foundation and the Creuzot family. The community pavilion will be named after the Mehta Family Foundation. 

“Being part of a learning environment where you feel valued and supported is critical to student success, and the physical space in which our students learn is an important component of that,” Alan Dettlaff, dean of the GCSW, said in a press release. “I’m incredibly grateful to our generous donors for recognizing our students' value and trusting us to create the learning environment they deserve.”

The project will break ground on Oct. 3. It’s expected to be completed by spring 2021. 

 

The new GCSW is far from the only project UH is working on. In March, the university announced it was doing a $30.4 million expansion of the on-campus hotel, adding a five-story tower with 71 new guest rooms as well as revamping the hotel’s current rooms, courtyard, lobby and public spaces. UH anticipates wrapping up the project by late 2022 or early 2023.

In 2018, the university approved a $100 million renovation project, which will upgrade interiors, technology infrastructure and energy efficiency of six buildings on the main campus that hold a number of classrooms, labs, faculty offices and department headquarters for the natural sciences and liberal arts colleges.

The $100 million renovation project at the main campus will be funded through Higher Education Assistance Funds the university receives from the state for acquiring, constructing or improving tangible assets. The university expects to finish the renovations by winter 2024.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

there were some guys in the parking lot for the law building doing some survey measurements.

 

I don't know what the timeline of the new law building is, but maybe related?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can anyone find that schematic of the project?

 

University of Houston System Chancellor Renu Khator, left, is joined by Harris County Precinct One Commissioner Rodney Ellis, left, and Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner to perform a ground breaking ceremony on Cullen Boulevard on Monday, Oct. 21, 2019, in Houston. The Cullen Boulevard Construction Project is a joint project between the city, county and the university. The project will improve safety, mobility and drainage along the university corridor around UH and Texas Southern University.

 

Quote

Local officials are putting one of the main streets to the University of Houston athletic facilities on a road diet, in the hopes that cutting down room for cars on Cullen Boulevard is better for campus and commuter life.

 

Harris County, Houston and UH are contributing to the project along Cullen from Interstate 45 to North MacGregor, narrowing the street to one lane in each direction south of Holman with a continual center turn lane. Along with drainage improvements that come from widening pipes below the street, crews will add 12-foot shared-use paths on each side of the street for pedestrians and bicyclists.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/transportation/article/Project-to-cut-vehicle-lanes-add-space-for-14551230.php#photo-18477959

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, TheSirDingle said:

Source: http://www.uh.edu/facilities-planning-construction/fpc-projects/spotlight/cullen-transformation-project.php 

 

Lots of details on this web-page, especially on the picture front  

 

 

 

 

fact-sheet-image.png.5fabe3b6b79d6e787802c1ea236ff955.png

 

 

this is particularly awesome. wish they'd do the same to Calhoun Road. It's ridiculously wide for the amount of traffic that uses it.

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was wondering what type of crane would be used for the parking garage, finding a crawler crane made me think it was a pre cast concrete garage but I see lots of rebar around the site.

GxbVP5M.jpg

ZyNgrTD.jpg

NisIPFQ.jpg

7Ho60zk.jpg

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Woah that new garage is going to be massive. Also like what they're doing with classrooms/studios on the older garage; looking pretty good. 
looking into the future this campus is going to be unrecognizable. Especially when they build the law center, moody redevelopment, tech annex demo/construction, etc. Going to be an insane next decade for UH. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, TheSirDingle said:

Woah that new garage is going to be massive. Also like what they're doing with classrooms/studios on the older garage; looking pretty good. 
looking into the future this campus is going to be unrecognizable. Especially when they build the law center, moody redevelopment, tech annex demo/construction, etc. Going to be an insane next decade for UH. 

That older garage you're talking about is brand new, just opened for the fall semester. They just haven't finished the buildings on the south side yet.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, hindesky said:

That older garage you're talking about is brand new, just opened for the fall semester. They just haven't finished the buildings on the south side yet.

I know it's just an older garage compared to the new one they're digging rn

Edited by TheSirDingle
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://thedailycougar.com/2019/11/20/goodbye-satellite/
 

Quote

The UH System Board of Regents last Thursday approved to close the Satellite on April 30, 2020 and replace it with a new dining center...

Of course, students may not be surprised by the development, 
considering the flooding issues and the flurry of new dining options in the last few years — including the food trucks and delivery robots. Rosie Ashley, program director for Auxiliary Services, confirmed the Satellite is being shut down for these reasons...

The Auxiliary Retail Center will begin construction summer 2020 and will be completed by summer 2022, according to a UH System Board of Regents meeting on Nov. 14...

“The plan is to ultimately fill the Satellite in and put the new center there,” said Jim McShan, senior vice president and senior vice chancellor of administration and finance, at the meeting

Their vision for the eventual center, which the 
Auxiliary Services website refers to as a “Food Hall,” is grand and expansive...

Ashley said the design process is still in its early stages...The project has a budget of $35 million, approved by the Board of Regents

RIP Satellite. Looks like flooding finally took its toll.

Auxiliary Services website link  (Has quite a few retail plans for UH Main, such as the food truck park) :

https://uh.edu/af-auxiliary-services/uh-dining-vision-plan/retail-dining-vision/#plan22

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

$16 million from an alumni of the Law School. Just like I said, they should be the easiest college to fundraise. That new rendering is at least more interesting than the first one. Still not that great, but better. Bravo UH Law!

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The parking lot about to become the new Law School building.

0XGogLy.jpg

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Prefab concrete parking garage. Figured when I saw the crawler crane it would be prefab.

q9pXumn.jpg

 

Lp3BVt7.jpg

UwAdQvZ.jpg

Edited by hindesky
  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Vaughn FB....

Our project team at the University of Houston recently began structural precast erection on the Parking Garage 6 project - one day ahead of the milestone start date! Despite an incredibly wet fall, our team put in countless hours pumping water in the rain and working weekends to make up missed days. Thank you to our entire team, and congratulations!

FqPefrm.jpg

 

 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...