University of Houston Campus Developments

elecpharm

Southern-view_with_shadows_small.jpg

https://www.opt.uh.edu/our-college/news-events/college-news/health-and-biomedical-sciences-building-ii-construction/

Construction of the University of Houston’s Health and Biomedical Sciences Building II will begin on Friday July 10, 2015.  Much of the parking lot adjacent to the University Eye Institute will then no longer be available, so UEI patients will be able to park at no cost in the Welcome Center Student Garage across from the J. Davis Armistead and Health and Biomedical Sciences buildings on Calhoun Road.
  • Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

8933055.jpeg

HOUSTON – Houston Baseball continues to raise the bar on its facility improvements as Head Coach Todd Whitting and Vice President for Athletics Hunter Yurachek have unveiled the initial rendering for the new Baseball Player Development Center and Clubhouse to be located at Cougar Field.

The Development Center is in the design stages with one exterior rendering showcasing the facility’s 20,645 square-foot size and presence that will be featured along the third base line near the berm at Cougar Field.

“The new Player Development Center and Clubhouse has been a long-term goal for my staff since we arrived in 2010,” Whitting said. “Once this project is completed, it will conclude the master plan for our facility that has included a turf field, video board, new lighting, padded outfield walls, construction of new bull pens, new sound system, an upgraded accomplishment billboard and many other upgrades.”

The 20,645 square-foot facility will feature a new clubhouse, dedicated batting cages for baseball, players’ lounge, fueling station, video area, hot and cold tubs, training room, as well as a suite and lounge for in-game viewing.

Houston Baseball’s new Player Development Center and Clubhouse will provide the student-athletes a comfortable working environment that will feature all the necessary amenities to enhance the success of each individual on and off the field.

“As we continue to build champions for life and focus on our student-athletes’ success, we recognize our commitment to providing state-of-the-art facilities for our sport programs,” Yurachek said. “Our vision of being the best begins on this campus, and the facilities our student-athletes touch on a daily basis are a major component of our goals. We are extremely appreciative of our supporters and their commitment to taking Houston Athletics to a championship level.”

DEVELOPMENT CENTER AMENTITIES
First Level

Locker Room
Locker Area
Showers/Wet Room
Training Room
Coaches Locker Room
Players’ Lounge
Fueling Station
Hot/Cold Tubs
Steam Room
Laundry/Storage
Video Area
Lobby/Stair/Elevator
Mud Room
Batting Cages
Grass Patio

Second Level
Suite/Lounge
Observation Deck
Kitchen

http://www.uhcougars.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/093015aab.html

• Like 4

As a graduate of U. of H., I am very excited to see all of these improvements to our campus. I went to the Texas State game and

was pleasantly surprised at the turnout for the game. It was close to full and you can see the change in spirit out there even

for a lower level non conference opponent. It used to take a Texas Tech, or Ok. St., or nationally ranked team to get this kind

of turnout so its nice to see more fans showing up to support the Coogs. Hope we can keep this win streak alive this weekend at Tulsa.

Eat em up!!!

• Like 5

The great thing about being in the band is you always got to go to the games. You put a lot of time and work into those halftime shows and add so much to the energy. The band sounded great! The student section rocks now! I had an opportunity to sit in the

club level and enjoy all it provides. Its a long way from the old days of Robertson.

• Like 1

I love the Coogs! We tailgate in the RV lot if anyone wants to join our group.

You should swing by the coffee shop and grab a cup of coffee to help you make it through the day :)

what are they doing behind the wellness center? I noticed some construction back there last night.

Edited by samagon

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/education/article/Despite-challenges-UH-wants-to-open-medical-6587323.php?cmpid=btfpm

Despite challenges in raising money and gaining state approval, University of Houston officials are still set on opening a medical school - possibly by 2019 - on the flagship southeast Houston campus.

A medical school, university officials say, wouldn't be merely another token of prestige for UH, which is working to enhance its standing as an elite research institution. Instead, they say, it would meet a need for better health care services in the Third Ward community near the campus. UH already has committed hundreds of thousands of dollars to develop a plan for the school, pay consultants to study its feasibility and hire a "planning dean," tasked with developing a business plan and curriculum.

To open a medical school, however, UH will need state approval and tens of millions of dollars for startup costs. With the University of Texas opening two new medical schools in 2016 and at least two other public universities - the University of North Texas and Sam Houston State University - also pushing for medical schools, another in Houston would be a "tough sell," Raymund Paredes, the state's top higher education official, said in an interview this week.

• Like 3

Texas and A&M share the Permian basin fund money and I don't believe that U. of H. or for that matter any of the other Texas

schools get a penny from that account. I know one of the last times U.of H. requested more money from the state legislature

UT said only if they get more also as if they needed any more money. Of course they got more money. So is the power of being in

the state capital, and half the legislators graduating from either Texas or A&M.

Texas and A&M share the Permian basin fund money and I don't believe that U. of H. or for that matter any of the other Texas

schools get a penny from that account. I know one of the last times U.of H. requested more money from the state legislature

UT said only if they get more also as if they needed any more money. Of course they got more money. So is the power of being in

the state capital, and half the legislators graduating from either Texas or A&M.

Thats correct, all of the permian basin money favors UT and A&M and it won't ever favor other schools like UH or UNT until there is less UT/A&M influence in Texas congress... (but that will likely never happen for a LONG time) 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/morning_call/2015/12/massive-innovation-center-to-be-built-at.html

A group of local investors has formalized an agreement with the University of Houston to build a massive innovation center at the Energy Research Park.

Recently, it formalized the agreement, establishing an 80-year land deal between TCRC and the University of Houston to build two 75,000-square foot office buildings at the Energy Research Park.

The buildings are about finding tenants who want to have close relationships with the university,” said David Franklin, a co-founder of TCRC said. “Anyone who moves into those buildings has access to UH’s core facilities.”

It’s still early for any definitive plans on what the facilities will be used for. Quoz Capital, a new venture capital fund created by TCRC, could take space there, and the University of Houston has indicated to TCRC that it will need space for classrooms and offices as well, Franklin said.

Under the agreement, TCRC has to begin construction on the project within the next 12 to 18 months. The contractor on the project is Nashville-based Echo Construction LLC and the architect is Houston-baed TDCK Architects Inc. The first phase of the project will be a 75,000-square-foot, three-story office building.

• Like 1

Ha. Makes more sense about the backlash against the UT research campus, though this sounds like nothing in size compared to it.

How does this have anything to do with UT? This is energy and business related not medical, I don't get why you are even mentioning it. 

How does this have anything to do with UT? This is energy and business related not medical, I don't get why you are even mentioning it. 

They're both research facilities. True, they're different fields... just interesting timing to me when UH is worried about the UT campus and is trying to secure investors to build their own complex.

• Like 1

I feel like these are apples and oranges. This sounds more like private sector business oriented/ start up. The UT one sounds like purely research.  

All kidding aside from my earlier post, I don't think anyone (that's even including the UT brass really) know what the UT campus is going to be.

I do have a feeling they are both going to attempt to tap into the whole public-private-research-business-incubator-academic nebulousness (word?).

That and TMC3. All three of which will now have to fight harder to claim a stake in certain fields.

I for one think that the competition and the lofty goals of all three would be a huge boon for Houston.... and the timing can't come soon enough with oil swirling the proverbial toilet bowl right now.

• Like 1

U. of Houston has been developing the Energy research center for at least ten years when they took over the

Slumberger headquarters about a mile east of U of H on 45. They already have repurposed several of the buildings,including the Petroleum engineering school and they are working on several other projects to provide a complete range of energy related departments. This is not a quick knee jerk response to UT's plans, but

merely another step in the development of this planned development to work with the local energy companies, provide more talent for the energy sector, and help develop research into useful and profitable projects

for joint ventures with others. This has been written about many times in the Chronicle, HBJ and other

magazines over the last five years. My sister in law works for the Engineering department in this new campus and I have been in the building many times. Just because U.T has many of these types of arrangements

doesn't mean they own the concept of developing patents and products that help deliver returns for this

research.

So don't try and suggest that U of H is taking a shot across the bow. We are merely continuing our growth

plan to become a tier one research University and a leader in Energy research, and doing very well on our

own.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

oi6sus.jpg

xgites.jpg

Very early renderings of the renovated hofheinz pavilion

141ksx4.jpg

http://www.scout.com/college/houston/forums/2804-uh-football/14575085-hunter-s-presentation-to-the-board-of-regents-today 

also 

BIG News in H-Town - The University of Houston Board of Regents gave approval Thursday for the Houston Department of Athletics to move forward with the design of an indoor football facility

Edited by Mab
  • Like 3

• The title was changed to University of Houston Campus Developments