elecpharm

University of Houston Campus Developments

UH shot down Aggy when they tried to take over STCL. So this could be a battle.

The main question is are there enough medical schools in Houston? It appears the answer is no.

I think it'll be hard to deny UH a medical school in it's own back yard. But then you have Garnett Coleman saying Prarie View needs one before UH.

And UH is in Coleman's district.

^^that dude has never done anything for UH anyways, so i don't find that surprising....has anybody noticed the scaffolding around the Cullen Building? are they changing all the roof tiles or wuuut?

Edited by MexAmerican_Moose

If Methodist Hospital (one of the world's finest) and Cornell's Medical College (located in New York City, not in Ithaca with the rest of the university) are willing to help the UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON establish a medical college, anyone would be stupid to stop them.

First and foremost, I don't think it takes anything away from Baylor or UT Health Science Center. In fact, I'd argue that it would really seal the deal that the Texas Medical Center is a place to come to learn, teach, and perform research. I wouldn't be surprised to find that in the end, the pre-existing schools would see their applications and rankings rise.

Now, if only Texas wasn't riddled with stupid people who put their own self-interest ahead of the common good...

As for Texas Southern, why would Texas ATM take it over? Prairie View ATM was created to keep blacks out of Texas ATM whereas TSU was created to keep blacks out of UT-Austin. That is why TSU has a law school, a biz school, a public policy institute, etc... The only reason I could see ATM make a play for TSU is to improve their LOUSY record with minority enrollment and to gain access to a law school. None of the ATM satellites offer a law program and TSU's Thurgood Marshall School of Law could be the prize ATM desires???

I predict that the Third Ward area around the universities will be transformed into a "college town" area. The African-American community left would be wealthy and influential.

While I like the "down home" aspects of the blue collar areas around the universities, I have a gut feeling that they will not last. I predict that the blue collar residents will move south of the Brays Bayou, with some of them moving outside of the 610 Loop into the "outside 610, inside BW8, along 288" area.

VicMan i think the same way you do.....we are already seeing new townhomes being built on the east side of 288....i am pretty sure that the properties around UH will increase in value as Gentrification spreads towards the UH area

Well, he has certainly used his personal academic allegiances in tandom with those of his political cronies, to deny UH substantial Tier I funding in recent years. Why would he suddenly cease with his bias MO?

Too bad what they want is not what's best for the city of Houston and the state of Texas as a whole, but rather the continued academic hegemony of UT and A&M. It's unfortunate racial and class prejudices still continue today.

So, look for any actions of Perry to work for and to the disadvantage of UH or TSU.

My thoughts exactly, this only makes me more fustrated at UT and A&M. The Tier I funding was something that was not aware was happening. Just which Universities are Tier I eligible, for sure UT and A&M. What does the funding consist of, how is it benefiting Tier I schools and how is UH affected by the denial?

Also someone stated two obvious reasons that A&M wants to get its grips on TSU (minority enrollment and Thurgood Marshall School of Law). Man, the minority enrollment issue is big for A&M. Did anyone follow the Yates graduate a couple of years ago and how it was a big deal that he was attending A&M and how A&M was so accomadating with all sort of retention programs for the student? That was a big public relations attempt to boost the university's image.

UH wasn't even allowed to open a north satellite campus because PVAM blocked it. How the heck are they going to get a Medical school passed UT? Sad but true, the state of Texas is being screwed by petty jealousy by UT and ATM.

Does anybody know what will happen to the land that U of H owns on the corner of Braeswood and Wyndale? It's all fenced off now with "University of Houston" property signs. It is right across the street and down a bit from the Parkwood Apartment site where Baylor is building their new facility(ies) soon..

Does anybody know what will happen to the land that U of H owns on the corner of Braeswood and Wyndale? It's all fenced off now with "University of Houston" property signs. It is right across the street and down a bit from the Parkwood Apartment site where Baylor is building their new facility(ies) soon..

i met with them a couple of years ago about that site. at the time, they were planning on building some type of medical / pharmaceutical (sp?) school there.

I can't find this location on the map. Can anyone give me more info of this location?

UofH could easily become my favorite part of the city if it keeps these cutting edge designs up with its 20 year plan. The development is progressing quickly and it should be interesting to keep an eye on it as I grow old. ;)

it is unfortunate that the Y building will be taken out. it has been housing the various engineering student groups for years. I hope that they get space in the new building. it looks fantastic and appropriate for the college of engineering!

it is unfortunate that the Y building will be taken out. it has been housing the various engineering student groups for years. I hope that they get space in the new building. it looks fantastic and appropriate for the college of engineering!

yup...i study in the little buildings next to it, it feels like home

UH needs to tax lien several areas around it. It should leave the taxpayers alone for now, and take the tax delinquent properties around the university.

Why should UH leave the "taxpayers alone".....given the state has historically imposed a unequal system of distributing funds to universities.....UT and A&M have hogged taxpayer funds for over a hundred years.

I'm surprised UH along with TT and other universities haven't filed a class action against the state for a discrimination of fund allocations. Now, as the most cumbersome and outdated state constitution in the country, the Texas constitution has a built in form of discrimination against all other state colleges and universities (i.e. PUF). And once again, these two colleges and their alumni do their best to continue this tradition.

Pathetically egocentric and myopic, given their interests are not on the residents of Texas and Texas as a whole, but the prestige of their own school at the expense of others.

Looks like a great building....keep it going UH. With the addition of the University rail line and other major improvements including a substantial housing increase, UH is making a serious statement as to its direction in the upcoming century.

Edited by nyc_tex

Why should UH leave the "taxpayers alone".....given the state has historically imposed a unequal system of distributing funds to universities.....UT and A&M have hogged taxpayer funds for over a hundred years.

I'm surprised UH along with TT and other universities haven't filed a class action against the state for a discrimination of fund allocations. Now, as the most cumbersome and outdated state constitution in the country, the Texas constitution has a built in form of discrimination against all other state colleges and universities (i.e. PUF). And once again, these two colleges and their alumni do their best to continue this tradition.

Pathetically egocentric and myopic, given their interests are not on the residents of Texas and Texas as a whole, but the prestige of their own school at the expense of others.

Looks like a great building....keep it going UH. With the addition of the University rail line and other major improvements including a substantial housing increase, UH is making a serious statement as to its direction in the upcoming century.

I'm pretty sure Vic was talking about the taxpaying property owners in the neighborhood of the University, not the taxpayers of the state as a whole. But I also think Vic's post was pointless, as it is my understanding that the university doesn't have any plans to acquire much additional property, if any, whether tax-delinquent or tax-paying.

I was very much talking about property around the university.

In that case, I should ask UH if the university has any plans, as of now, to expand its size.

I'm pretty sure Vic was talking about the taxpaying property owners in the neighborhood of the University, not the taxpayers of the state as a whole. But I also think Vic's post was pointless, as it is my understanding that the university doesn't have any plans to acquire much additional property, if any, whether tax-delinquent or tax-paying.

I was very much talking about property around the university.

In that case, I should ask UH if the university has any plans, as of now, to expand its size.

Apparently I did misinterpret your statement, my apologies, Vicman.

UH is landlocked as others mentioned and is attempting to use New Urbanism to reconstitute the campus and use land in an efficient but community-oriented way.

That's really the ugly side of the campus, but I like the new building. Are they ever going to finish Calhoun and bring it up to Elgin somehow?

It should prove quite interesting, but I'm glad to see this structure is going up. Lord knows a few of the buildings are a bit long on the tooth.

Now the question should be if TSU flounders, what is going to happen if UH absorbs it?

That's really the ugly side of the campus, but I like the new building. Are they ever going to finish Calhoun and bring it up to Elgin somehow?

They "disconnected" Calhoun from Elgin back in the early 90's when I was at UH. I don't believe Calhoun will ever connect directly to Elgin, due to the geometrics of Spur 5.

There is an "internal" street that connects Elgin to Calhoun through the campus. I am curious to see if it is improved in the coming years, once Cullen is closed to vehicular traffic. Once Cullen is closed, that narrow drive will be a major circulator around campus.

I don't know if I'd say that side of campus is ugly...just barren. However, I understand that side of campus is vastly improved from the olden days when there was a slaughterhouse by the railroad. Some old-timers have told me that was not a pretty smell. Of course, that's going back to the days when the Y-Building was "state of the art". :blush:

I don't know if I'd say that side of campus is ugly...just barren. However, I understand that side of campus is vastly improved from the olden days when there was a slaughterhouse by the railroad. Some old-timers have told me that was not a pretty smell. Of course, that's going back to the days when the Y-Building was "state of the art". :blush:

i'd have to agree about the barren aspect. I had an office in the y-building in the 80's and it definitely was old then. but I have to say i made some great friends their that i still talk to to this day! i'm glad to see that engineering is getting the money that the other colleges have been getting.

Edited by musicman

However, I understand that side of campus is vastly improved from the olden days when there was a slaughterhouse by the railroad. Some old-timers have told me that was not a pretty smell. Of course, that's going back to the days when the Y-Building was "state of the art".

And all that is left is the oldest mesquite tree in Harris Co.

And you can guess where the seed came from.

And all that is left is the oldest mesquite tree in Harris Co.

And you can guess where the seed came from.

ummmm..

another mesquite tree?

I admit I have never stepped a toe on this side of campus so I am not that familiar with how the building lies. Is this close to the Satellite?

Edited by WesternGulf

I admit I have never stepped a toe on this side of campus so I am not that familiar with how the building lies. Is this close to the Satellite?

No. It's nestled between the law village and the business school. I think (for now) there's a big open area between it and the University Center.

I sort of know that area I guess. That's my "shortcut" from the UC to the Satellite. Although I do not remember it being too open.

Notice in the model sketch that there will also be a proposed 'new student housing' next to the Engineering Complex. This is in line with the UH vision of becoming a livable and educational part of the city. It's refershing to see a section of the city actually have the authority to enforce a master plan and one that would actually guide what is best. What is going on a the University of Houston is very exciting and the rest of the districts in Houston (uh...downtown) should be very interested in what planning can actually accomplish and that coming up with some type of enforcement to what goes up may be beneficial to everyone.

Also, does anyone have the latest information on the University Rail extension? Have they decided how it is going to meet with the campus?

Notice in the model sketch that there will also be a proposed 'new student housing' next to the Engineering Complex. This is in line with the UH vision of becoming a livable and educational part of the city. It's refershing to see a section of the city actually have the authority to enforce a master plan and one that would actually guide what is best. What is going on a the University of Houston is very exciting and the rest of the districts in Houston (uh...downtown) should be very interested in what planning can actually accomplish and that coming up with some type of enforcement to what goes up may be beneficial to everyone.

Also, does anyone have the latest information on the University Rail extension? Have they decided how it is going to meet with the campus?

Jury is out on the rail issue until March.

UH has the ability to execute plans because it is the owner of its property and has viable revenue streams. The City doesn't own downtown, therefore, it cannot plan effectively, short of buying and building from scratch on its own dime. Even if the citizens of Houston authorized the City to institute land use controls, zoning by itself does not guarantee private investment in a way that would bring a plan to fruition.

And actually, if you look at the history of UH attempts at planning, their vision changes ever so often so as to produce a disorderly campus that isn't at all aesthetically integrated or cohesive. It has plenty of examples of good architecture, but they don't always coexist very well.

And actually, if you look at the history of UH attempts at planning, their vision changes ever so often so as to produce a disorderly campus that isn't at all aesthetically integrated or cohesive. It has plenty of examples of good architecture, but they don't always coexist very well.

Is this a fancy way of saying you think all the buildings should looks the same?

I like the variety, but my favorite buildins are the very first ones like Zeke and Roy Cullen.

Is this a fancy way of saying you think all the buildings should looks the same?

I like the variety, but my favorite buildins are the very first ones like Zeke and Roy Cullen.

I like the Fleming building, personally...but right across the street from what I consider to be a rather bland Cesar Pelli. Don't care for that one.

I'd like for there to be more of a unifying theme. Something tangible and permanent that people think of when they think of UH.

I like the differences in all the UH buildings. They started with Art Deco when it was becoming really unpopular, so they really had no choice but to update. They have a smattering of buildings from styles throughout the decades. Some will appreciate, some will be realized as mistakes. You know that new Athletics Center is going to get ugly in ten years.

Edited by westguy

but right across the street from what I consider to be a rather bland Cesar Pelli.

To be honest I thought the same thing for a while but it does grow on you in a good way. I think the interior side of the building, not the inside but the courtyard area, is more appreciated than what you see from Cullen or Entrance 14. The simple curve and the small fins on the building that you can see from Cullen are appreciated. I think it looks better at night though.

That said the new library is a building that will age well in my opinion. Similar to E. Cullen.

To be honest I thought the same thing for a while but it does grow on you in a good way. I think the interior side of the building, not the inside but the courtyard area, is more appreciated than what you see from Cullen or Entrance 14. The simple curve and the small fins on the building that you can see from Cullen are appreciated. I think it looks better at night though.

That said the new library is a building that will age well in my opinion. Similar to E. Cullen.

Yeah, the Pelli looks alright from Cullen or the courtyard area, but it turns its back on Entrance 14 and all the foot and auto traffic that goes along with it. I don't like that, personally.

I like the library, but much of it is still underutilized. Seems like there are still too few computer terminals for students to use during peak hours.

Yeah, the Pelli looks alright from Cullen or the courtyard area, but it turns its back on Entrance 14 and all the foot and auto traffic that goes along with it. I don't like that, personally.

I like the library, but much of it is still underutilized. Seems like there are still too few computer terminals for students to use during peak hours.

yup, that's why i bought my laptop....it's impossible to find an open computer at noon

UH is more or less landlocked. They plan to expand up and get more dense.

Isnt UH right next to the old Schlumberger complex that they "aquired"? That could provide some allready in-place lab space or what have you. Is it still UH property?

Actually, maybe its not quite next door....I think you have to cross some train yard to get to that complex. But still, that's some valuable building space.

Does anyone know the combined student population between the 3 UH system campuses within the city limits? I wonder how the UH-System (Houston only) stacks up in numbers compared to UT-Austin and A&M. I'm only talking size and population here.

Isnt UH right next to the old Schlumberger complex that they "aquired"? That could provide some allready in-place lab space or what have you. Is it still UH property?

Actually, maybe its not quite next door....I think you have to cross some train yard to get to that complex. But still, that's some valuable building space.

I think the name is "university park" or something similar but i don't believe UH owns it.

I think the name is "university park" or something similar but i don't believe UH owns it.

UH has a lot of back office people there. Or they did.

Schlumbeger (sp) gave the land to UH. UH leases (or did) a good chunk to the Post Office.

UH has a lot of back office people there. Or they did.

Schlumbeger (sp) gave the land to UH. UH leases (or did) a good chunk to the Post Office.

According to the linked article from February 2005, UH only leased (or leases) some space at the former Schlumberger property. It was neither given to UH nor purchased by UH. The property is now called University Business Park.

University Business Park

While I can see it continue to function as a business park, I don't know if I can see it as a development for housing. I would suspect it would be rather isolated (unless you want that sort of thing) from the general population, not to mention the sound of the trains going back and forth constantly. The trains don't sound their horns in that area very often because there are no intersections that are THAT close to the area.

Housing for students is totally out of the question as it wouldn't be very convenient for them unless they made a pedestrian bridge over the tracks or some sort of shuttle. That in itself would be economically ineffective.

I am rather curious what the MFAH is using the space for, however.