15 minutes? You guys realize there are only 10 minutes between classes right?

Also the apartments with the "greek row", I saw those going up and they are wood in construction. How lame is that? All dorms should be made of concrete blocks if they want them to last longer than 20 years.

I live in a wood-frame house. It's over 60 years old.

60>20

;)

To be fair, I will admit there was termite damage on one wall of the house when we renovated. We had to replace SEVERAL 2x4's!

a little off topic...but what was the original purpose of Spur 5 adjacent to UH Main?

sh 35 info

here is a link to the txdot study page:

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/HOU/mis/sh35/index.htm

also a link to an older thread on the topic:

http://www.houstonarchitecture.info/haif/i...ost&p=64598

Edited by gnu

• 1 month later...

Jan. 24, 2007, 1:29PM

UH exploring proposal to start medical school

Idea to partner with Methodist, Cornell comes amid projected doctor shortages

By TODD ACKERMAN

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

In a move that would ratchet up an ongoing rivalry in the Texas Medical Center, the University of Houston is considering starting a medical school in partnership with The Methodist Hospital and Cornell University.

The idea, quietly explored by UH leaders in recent months, comes amid appeals for medical school expansion because of projected statewide and nationwide doctor shortages. Houston now has two medical schools

^^ do you think that is possible? UT and Aggy will do anything to shoot this vision down

After Rick Perry's announcement today that TSU has to address their funding situation TSU may merge with nearby UH or get swallowed by A&M. Seems TSU has several more hundred employees than they have budget.

umbrella_onwhite200.jpg

The modern umbrella was invented in the late 1700's.

No intelligent student would survive in Houston without one in his/her bag.

Walking 15 minutes in the rain with an umbrella would suck no matter what, because your still going to get wet. (although the umbrella would help, a little).

Yea UT and Aggy would hate and you reinforced my belief that UH is the biggest threat to the two. Damn someone strong armed UH to reveal their discussion with Methodist and Cornell? I must admit I've never heard of anything like that, but I do hope they find it feasible to go thru with their vision.

Gov. Rick Perry an A&M grad, is probably making a power play for TSU as we speak, All of a sudden the TSU leadership and its troubles "can't be a Mickey Mouse deal," and "It can't be the same-old, same-old". Honestly, I think TSU if its possible, should consider becoming affiliated with UH. That's if TSU is looking to become affiliated with another institute of higher learning. I am not sure if TSU being a historically black college has some kind of state land grant affiliation kinda deal (like PV A&M), I not sure what its called or could be. All I know is that a UT or A&M affiliate being that close of proximity to UH is the last thing UH needs. just my opinion

Gov. Rick Perry an A&M grad

Well, he has certainly used his personal academic allegiances in tandom with those of his political cronies, to deny UH substantial Tier I funding in recent years. Why would he suddenly cease with his bias MO?

Too bad what they want is not what's best for the city of Houston and the state of Texas as a whole, but rather the continued academic hegemony of UT and A&M. It's unfortunate racial and class prejudices still continue today.

So, look for any actions of Perry to work for and to the disadvantage of UH or TSU.

Edited by nyc_tex

UH shot down Aggy when they tried to take over STCL. So this could be a battle.

The main question is are there enough medical schools in Houston? It appears the answer is no.

I think it'll be hard to deny UH a medical school in it's own back yard. But then you have Garnett Coleman saying Prarie View needs one before UH.

And UH is in Coleman's district.

If Methodist Hospital (one of the world's finest) and Cornell's Medical College (located in New York City, not in Ithaca with the rest of the university) are willing to help the UNIVERSITY OF HOUSTON establish a medical college, anyone would be stupid to stop them.

First and foremost, I don't think it takes anything away from Baylor or UT Health Science Center. In fact, I'd argue that it would really seal the deal that the Texas Medical Center is a place to come to learn, teach, and perform research. I wouldn't be surprised to find that in the end, the pre-existing schools would see their applications and rankings rise.

Now, if only Texas wasn't riddled with stupid people who put their own self-interest ahead of the common good...

As for Texas Southern, why would Texas ATM take it over? Prairie View ATM was created to keep blacks out of Texas ATM whereas TSU was created to keep blacks out of UT-Austin. That is why TSU has a law school, a biz school, a public policy institute, etc... The only reason I could see ATM make a play for TSU is to improve their LOUSY record with minority enrollment and to gain access to a law school. None of the ATM satellites offer a law program and TSU's Thurgood Marshall School of Law could be the prize ATM desires???

I predict that the Third Ward area around the universities will be transformed into a "college town" area. The African-American community left would be wealthy and influential.

While I like the "down home" aspects of the blue collar areas around the universities, I have a gut feeling that they will not last. I predict that the blue collar residents will move south of the Brays Bayou, with some of them moving outside of the 610 Loop into the "outside 610, inside BW8, along 288" area.

Well, he has certainly used his personal academic allegiances in tandom with those of his political cronies, to deny UH substantial Tier I funding in recent years. Why would he suddenly cease with his bias MO?

Too bad what they want is not what's best for the city of Houston and the state of Texas as a whole, but rather the continued academic hegemony of UT and A&M. It's unfortunate racial and class prejudices still continue today.

So, look for any actions of Perry to work for and to the disadvantage of UH or TSU.

My thoughts exactly, this only makes me more fustrated at UT and A&M. The Tier I funding was something that was not aware was happening. Just which Universities are Tier I eligible, for sure UT and A&M. What does the funding consist of, how is it benefiting Tier I schools and how is UH affected by the denial?

Also someone stated two obvious reasons that A&M wants to get its grips on TSU (minority enrollment and Thurgood Marshall School of Law). Man, the minority enrollment issue is big for A&M. Did anyone follow the Yates graduate a couple of years ago and how it was a big deal that he was attending A&M and how A&M was so accomadating with all sort of retention programs for the student? That was a big public relations attempt to boost the university's image.

Does anybody know what will happen to the land that U of H owns on the corner of Braeswood and Wyndale? It's all fenced off now with "University of Houston" property signs. It is right across the street and down a bit from the Parkwood Apartment site where Baylor is building their new facility(ies) soon..

Does anybody know what will happen to the land that U of H owns on the corner of Braeswood and Wyndale? It's all fenced off now with "University of Houston" property signs. It is right across the street and down a bit from the Parkwood Apartment site where Baylor is building their new facility(ies) soon..

i met with them a couple of years ago about that site. at the time, they were planning on building some type of medical / pharmaceutical (sp?) school there.