No, I believe that's Cullen Oaks. It's fairly new, within the last 5-10 years. I like the layout for them much better than the Cambridge Oaks apartment-style housing just north of Cullen Oaks.

Cougar Place is at the link below...it's just north of Cambridge Oaks, just south of Robertson Stadium. They're all efficiency apartments...and crappy ones at that. They'll be gone in the next year or two.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&...9&encType=1

Oh, ok. Thanks. That's what I thought. I had a friend that lived in Cullen Oaks a few years back and I thought they looked fairly new. I didn't know the other ones in the new link were UH's.

If you ask me, you need to build dorms like jail cells. CMU and concrete and metal. Not sheetrock or carpet or ceiling tiles! These are housing college students for crying out loud. Basically, they need to be able to hose down the rooms after every semester!

Insulation and metal costs are a problem with your design, but perhaps a student housing developer could take your ball and run with it by contracting with Igloo Corp. to prefabricate 12-foot wide and 8-foot high single-piece fiberglass inserts that just slip into CMU structures and have built-in plumbing/electric hookups and metal fixtures. Then spray foam with insulating properties in between the CMU structure and the fiberglass insert.

You guys are making things a bit uneasy for me. First I would like to wish the new prez good luck in delivering UH to Tier 1 status and becoming the next flagship university in the state of Texas.

...I hope she can build upon this. However this was a great find for me and I am glad to see UH has some great ideas about the future.

No pessimism was intended. I'm quite pleased with the new prez and share your optimism. Go Coogs!

Especially what you said about Tier 1 Status--WORD.

Edited by mojeaux131

Insulation and metal costs are a problem with your design, but perhaps a student housing developer could take your ball and run with it by contracting with Igloo Corp. to prefabricate 12-foot wide and 8-foot high single-piece fiberglass inserts that just slip into CMU structures and have built-in plumbing/electric hookups and metal fixtures. Then spray foam with insulating properties in between the CMU structure and the fiberglass insert.

Or just use those shipping containers. When you graduate they slap wheels on it and off you go.

Containerhome_Container_House.jpg

I like that MacGregor area best as a park, but who knows what they could do with it in the future.

Only the east half of the park is for sale. The western half with the tennis courts is still owned by the City.

The land was given to the City with a possibility of reverter that would cause the land to revert back to the MacGregor heirs if the park was ever not used as a park. Long story short, the heirs sued the City and reacquired the eastern half of the park. There is currently, however, litigation between the heirs and their former attorneys, so, IMO, it may be a little while before the land is actually sold to a developer.

For EVERYONE on here:

Go to Dr. Khator's website and fill out a survey. She is wanting to hear from Houstonians for ways to improve UH. Info from the urban planning sector would be helpful. It doesn't take that long to fill out...

http://www.uh.edu/100days

Interesting:

1. How would you best describe your relationship to the University of Houston?

One of the options is, "Member of the Austin community." :huh:

A fund equal to Harvard and the two "Flagships" barely make the Top 50?

What a waste of money.

What is Harvard's enrollment?

edit: according to wiki...about 19,000 total. It's not really a fair comparison.

Edited by lockmat

Yea, let's take California as an example, they have more than 2 tier one schools, in fact they have 10! Its not wonder they produce companies like google, yahoo, Apple and HP! Texas needs more tier one funded schools so we don't get left behind. And UH is the clear choice to be the third one in Texas. It would attract the kind of students that the city already has jobs for, like NASA, engineering companies, law, medicine, etc.

• 1 month later...
http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/hig...1.html?ana=e_ph

"The University of Houston has acquired an original section of MacGregor Park that has been tied up in ownership litigation for more than a decade. "

That's great news, can't read the full article but that's ok. If this is the land that is bordered by Spur 5, OST and MLK there the southern entrance to the campus that was mentioned before. Man this is exciting news! Anyone has any ideas what should they do with the new land? So the university has grown from 550 arces to guessing here 600? Oh I am excitied!

That's great news, can't read the full article but that's ok. If this is the land that is bordered by Spur 5, OST and MLK there the southern entrance to the campus that was mentioned before. Man this is exciting news! Anyone has any ideas what should they do with the new land? So the university has grown from 550 arces to guessing here 600? Oh I am excitied!

Just re-read the announcement and it is 43 acres purchase. So 593 acres. Yes! Now I just hope we can create something where students want to live and hang around campus instead of commuting.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always thought UH should buy that piece of land. The Southeast Line will go down there, too, so there will be a station serving that spot. I would like to see some more student housing with retail (so mixed use) there. UH needs more on-campus housing. Maybe keep some trees for just general look, or transport some of them to UH and replant them.

UH needs more on-campus housing.

Speaking of on-campus housing, construction of the new graduate student dorm between the Law Center and the Business School is up to the second floor. Two cranes have been very active over the past several weeks.

• 1 month later...

What's the opposite of development?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/editorial/5793124.html

If this is true, which do yall think is better? To have a UH that can serve more people or one that can become a top tier 1 research institution, but serve less? OR...by becoming a tier 1 research school, more people will flock as they do to UT and A&M?

In announcing the boost in tuition, regents Chairman Welcome Wilson Sr. indicated his priorities for UH. "I sincerely feel," Wilson told the Chronicle, "we cannot be that low-cost alternative when it comes to education." Regents recruited new Chancellor and President Renu Khator last year based largely on her success in expanding the research base of the University of South Florida while serving as its provost. While Khator has said that top research capability can go hand in hand with a mass enrollment, higher tuition will inevitably discourage the latter.
In the end, the only way UH can become a major research campus and maintain its role as the educator of tens of thousands of middle-class students is for the Legislature to support it at the same level it supports the University of Texas and A&M systems.

UH should be Tier 1 and UHD and UH Clear Lake can always fill any void in between.

Not a bad thought. It's not like UHD is that much farther than UH (closer in cases for people in the north and west of course) and it's easily accessible. Space and growth may be an issue though.