• 2 weeks later...

Haha its only one game bro, but yea I was bein sarcastic, but you never know

I was being sarcastic too, but they have lost to two teams that aren't exactly known for their amazing football program, I haven't watched them play, but they're coming up to a big game against a ranked school that beat nebraska. I'm expecting them to be 0-3 after this weekend.

In their most recent game, the offense looked really good. If the new receivers could hold on to the ball better, the Cougars would've broken 700 yards passing. The problem is the defense swtiched back to the 4-3 this year, undoing all of the progress we had made on our defense when we were in the 3-4. If the defense could pick up the pace a little, the Cougars could do really well. I suspect 2013 and 2014 are going to be quite good years, as there is a lot of obvious talent on the team and we are going to be losing many of them for a while. UH will probably lose this coming game, but should do alright for the season. I'm expecting 6-6 or 7-5, which is quite good considering we lost the vast majority of our starters.

Had a chance to see the progress on the new stadium. I was very impressed. Here's what I can tell you;

1) They are going to locate the new stadium alongside the new parking garage and create a "Cougar Walk" between the two buildings with plazas, trees, gardens, etc...

2) They are going to dig down and place a lower bowl largely in the ground. They are shooting for a complete bowl with 25 to 28 rows depending upon how many they can fit in. The last row of the lower bowl will be about 5 feet above ground level.

3) A wide concourse will run the entire area around the lower bowl. The concourse will offer unobstructed views to the playing field, meaning you will be able to see the field while at concession stands. The architectural team toured Dynamo Stadium and also wanted to leave the concourse open to allow for more air flow.

4) Speaking of air flow, the plan is to leave two areas open to allow more flow (the Southeast corner- which is the direction most of the wind will enter the stadium) and the Northeast corner (to maximize the downtown view)

5) On the "home side" of the stadium, you'll find the club area and team locker room. A neat proposal is to have the tunnel out of the locker room be enclosed by glass so that you could see the team leaving the locker room to enter the field of play while in the club and concourse level.

6) The seats between the 30 yard lines in the lower bowl will be chairbacked seats with access to the club level

7) Loge boxes will be located on both sides of the stadium at the top of the lower bowl but offer different price points. The loge boxes on the "home side" will offer access to the club level while those on the opposite side of the field will not

8) On the "home side", there will be a level of suites directly above the concourse level (one flight up). Flanking each side of the suites will be "party patios" that can hold 200 or so fans each (these will offer tables and bar stools and access to the club level)

9) Above the suites will be the press and coaches boxes

10) There will be a fairly large upper deck on this side of the stadium located on top of the suite and press level.

11) Fronting Cullen, you'll find the academic buildings for the Moores School of Music. All buildings will look connected from the exterior and the plans are best described as a modern take on art deco design.

12) There will be a large band hall used for the Spirit of Houston, cheer, and dance teams. A tunnel from the hall will lead directly to the field allowing better access to the field and a potential return to how the band used to enter the games back when UH played in the Astrodome

13) A new concert hall will be located adjacent to the band hall allowing for smaller performances that aren't conducive to the Opera House

14) Closest to the new garage, there will be a University-wide Hall of Honor, ticket office, and game day shop. Early plans (depends on funding) call for this building to be possibly enclosed by red class that can be illuminated at night.

15) "Cougar Cage"- a concept to wrap the stadium in most likely a steel mesh similar to the Dynamo Stadium. This would cover the backside of the stadium so that you do not see things like support beams, the back of a scoreboard, etc...

16) Materials- Concrete, steel, a red glazed brick, brown brick similar to newer buildings along Cullen, and glass

17) At the top of the upper deck, there will be a wide concourse that will allow for several hundred spots of SRO

A- First plan calls for 37,500 or so seats with 2,500 other options (party plazas, SRO on concourse, etc...) for a capacity of 40,000

B- Second plans calls for 40,000 actual seats by placing a small upper deck on the "visiting side" of the field that appeared to stretch between the 25 yard lines. Total capacity would be in the 42,000 range

C- Expansion to 50,000 would be possible by building out the entire "visiting side" upper deck

D- Expansion to 60,000 would be possible by building an upper deck above the endzone concourse closest to Cullen

Much of these designs will be dependent upon total funding. The stadium is definitely being built, but if they can land naming rights, they will likely go with plan B and all the bells and whistles. Otherwise, look for plan A and a scale back on materials.

• Like 2

UH is prepping the old Y building site with concrete to be used for more food trucks starting October 1st. With more affordable options.

Construction on the new concrete pad is still underway.
UH Dining Services, ARAMARK and Auxiliary Services are working to contract La Jefa’s Kitchen, The Rice Box, Kurbside Eatz, Happy Endings, Stick It and Coreano’s food trucks. Two of the six food trucks will be open each day on a three-week alternating schedule.

http://thedailycougar.com/2012/09/17/more-mobile-meal-options/

As much as I love Bernie's Burger Bus and the Waffle Bus, this part of campus really needs more affordable foods. Glad to see it is coming.

Not technically owned by, or on UH property, but it's surrounded by UH property.

The developer received their final permitting and started turning dirt on this site for a small strip center.

https://maps.google....001635&t=h&z=20

The really exciting part (for me, and hopefully for anyone at UH, and even East Enders) is my friend and I signed a lease for a portion of the space and will be opening a coffee shop at the location! We're targeting July of next year as our opening date.

I'll be snapping some pictures of it this weekend!

Edited by samagon
  • Like 7

Not technically owned by, or on UH property, but it's surrounded by UH property.

The developer received their final permitting and started turning dirt on this site for a small strip center.

The really exciting part (for me, and hopefully for anyone at UH, and even East Enders) is my friend and I signed a lease for a portion of the space and will be opening a coffee shop at the location! We're targeting July of next year as our opening date.

Excellent and good luck!

I think that area may have been where the old Chia Star was located, or maybe it's where the parking garage is now.

Exciting indeed!!

A quick pointer to keep steady business... I work at UH and use the Campus Rec gym.

If you can serve smoothies and be open around the gym times, I think it would be a great move. Smoothie King's hours are really fishy, and they need some competition anyway.

But even if you can't, the more options we have on/near UH Campus, the better. It has swelled now to over 40,000 students, and when you throw in faculy and staff, our daytime population is right around 50k people. Congrats on the bold venture!!

But even if you can't, the more options we have on/near UH Campus, the better. It has swelled now to over 40,000 students, and when you throw in faculy and staff, our daytime population is right around 50k people. Congrats on the bold venture!!

Does the idea of 'daytime population' as it is applied to urban areas and business districts apply with validity to a university campus? Many students and professors are only there some of the day for twice a week. Many of the staff are part-time, too.

Does the idea of 'daytime population' as it is applied to urban areas and business districts apply with validity to a university campus? Many students and professors are only there some of the day for twice a week. Many of the staff are part-time, too.

Is "many" the correct term of use...? I ask because I always thought most major campuses, that wasn't the case.

I think a pizza hut used to be located here.

yeah, it was a pizza hut way back when, it's 'china star' now. Cheap chinese food. I haven't tried it, although I bet I will venture over there at some point during my new adventure :)

our hours aren't set in stone, but we absolutely will be opening early enough for people to stop by before class, and late enough for people to study into the night in a relaxed atmosphere. probably like 11 on weeknights, and 2am on weekends.

• Like 3

yeah, it was a pizza hut way back when, it's 'china star' now. Cheap chinese food. I haven't tried it, although I bet I will venture over there at some point during my new adventure :)

our hours aren't set in stone, but we absolutely will be opening early enough for people to stop by before class, and late enough for people to study into the night in a relaxed atmosphere. probably like 11 on weeknights, and 2am on weekends.

Very cool! Keep me posted... I know lots of frat guys and music majors!

I just ate at the new Cougar Woods dining hall. It's REALLY nice. And while I was leaving and looking at the work that was done and is being done in the area, it hit me exactly what they are doing with the parking lot I mentioned earlier. They aren't changing the entrance to the lot to make it fit better, they are putting in a road that connects from the Cougar Pl./Cullen intersection around between the dining hall the the Quad down to the currently dead end bit of Wheeler there.

You can see they put in one side of the road that goes past the dining hall in the top of this picture:

West-Dining-Hall-7.jpg

• Like 2

^ exactly. It's quite clear they plan on connecting the two roads. It's probably part of UofH's master plan to have an internal bus route going through the campus. Either way, makes a lot more sense than just have a random dead end.

As for the dining hall, I'm mixed. Seems like too much white color on the interior for me. Besides that, it seems really nice and I bet it's going to get really packed when they open up that new housing project across the street.

Edited by Triton

• 1 month later...

I spent an hour and a half circling campus in the ridiculous heat getting these pictures. I REALLY hope it cools down by the next time I go around and take another set. :P

Insperity Center (yes, that's what the new business building is going to be called http://swamplot.com/...ner/2012-08-31/):

DSC_0197.jpg?t=1346456567

It is my understanding that the building itself will NOT be named "Insperity Center"; instead, an institute within the building will be named the Insperity Center, and the building will retain the official name of the Bauer Classroom Building.

Having said that, I believe the exterior of the building - in the relevant area outside the formal Insperity Center - will have lettering stating "Insperity Center," so this may be a moot point since the students may just call it the Insperity Center anyway.