elecpharm

New Development on the University of Houston Campus

Imagine Hardy Yards as the new UHD campus. The biz school was the first step.

This city and UH need to start thinking BIG!

Imagine Hardy Yards as the new UHD campus. The biz school was the first step.

This city and UH need to start thinking BIG!

Is the First 100 Days still goin on? Email it to them!

I am kinda conflicted on this issue but leaning towards agreeing with whatever gets UH to Tier 1 status. If that means becoming more research intensive then go that route however I would like to see the enrollment numbers after the tuition hike and gauge its impact.

The Hardy Rail Yard campus is a great idea midtown coog and metro's intermodal is planned for the area as well. Man the city and UH needs to start thinking big as you say. I imagine that the campus and area would be vibrant. Ahh.... dreamy!!!!

I really do see the other UH campuses being able to fill the needs.

UT and A&M are close to capacity and fully funded with limited results on a national scale.

Not only do UH and Houston need to think big, but so do our small minded state legislators.

As far as the tuition hike, I think it comes to $245 at 15 hours. $245 is not going to keep anyone out of college unless they are looking for an excuse to drop out.

I really do see the other UH campuses being able to fill the needs.

UT and A&M are close to capacity and fully funded with limited results on a national scale.

Not only do UH and Houston need to think big, but so do our small minded state legislators.

As far as the tuition hike, I think it comes to $245 at 15 hours. $245 is not going to keep anyone out of college unless they are looking for an excuse to drop out.

The kids complain and complain so much that the cost of tuition is so much higher than it was 4-5 years ago (It is.) But UH is still way behind UT and A&M in Cost of Education.

Any tuition hikes should come from out of staters.

I think making it a Tier 1 research university will be good for the city overall...it won't affect undergrad selectivity too much (or, at least, it shouldn't) because most of the research that they are talking about happens at the graduate level. It will be harder for grad students to get into, but they come from all over the world anyway so that won't affect us locally.

MOst likely you'll see a few more interdisciplinary institutes, and maybe expanded departments, but for the average high school kid I don't think this stuff will be detrimental. IF anything the future of U of H will be better for the typical undergrad since it seems like they are sincerely trying to increase quality of life amenities (more on campus housing, parking, rec center, etc) and are making it easier for low-income students to commute to (more transit options).

Edited by N Judah

Make UH Tier 1 and expand UHD for student throughput. UH is hard to access by transit and parking is already a pile of suck.

Make UH Tier 1 and expand UHD for student throughput. UH is hard to access by transit and parking is already a pile of suck.

The university line is getting close to construction, and so is the second parking garage. The new grad apartments are looking good too. Times are a changin' at UH.

The university line is getting close to construction, and so is the second parking garage. The new grad apartments are looking good too. Times are a changin' at UH.

I really would like to share your enthusiasm for the U-Line but until they are breaking ground on either on the new rail routes I am not expressing my optimisim.

I really would like to share your enthusiasm for the U-Line but until they are breaking ground on either on the new rail routes I am not expressing my optimisim.

UH System Board Chairman W. Wilson Sr., UH President Renu Khator and Dean Arthur Warga watch as Michael J. Cemo gives another go with the shovel at the official groundbreaking ceremony for the new Michael J. Cemo Hall at the University of Houston.

http://www.chron.com/community/photogaller...to_gallery.html

600xPopupGallery.jpg

600xPopupGallery.jpg

Received an email the other day and it looks like the new end zone facility for Robertson stadium is getting a lot of attention. The email attaches a link to a survey and wanted some feedback. I am placing it here just in case someone wants take it. It also has some cool renderings of the facility as you go along.

http://www.customintercept.com/surveys/web/uhrenovation.htm

I would guess construction would have to start after football season but there is the Dynamo's season afterwards. Any ideas about the start date?

The new tower they are presently building looks just splendid from 45 as you enter downtown!

Has it been discuss here yet? Details, details...pics? :D

At last glance seemed to be approx 6-8 stories so far?

UH System Board Chairman W. Wilson Sr., UH President Renu Khator and Dean Arthur Warga watch as Michael J. Cemo gives another go with the shovel at the official groundbreaking ceremony for the new Michael J. Cemo Hall at the University of Houston.

http://www.chron.com/community/photogaller...to_gallery.html

Wow!

Picked up a pizza at the new Pizza Hut about a block from the old one on Calhoun and the whole landscape has changed. What an improvement!

Most of the old parking lots are going away for good and there are several buildings and or garages going up. Got to see to believe. :)

Wow!

Picked up a pizza at the new Pizza Hut about a block from the old one on Calhoun and the whole landscape has changed. What an improvement!

Most of the old parking lots are going away for good and there are several buildings and or garages going up. Got to see to believe. :)

Yep... it definitely makes UH a fun place to work.

The wellness center is amazing! Huge, clean, new, the very best equipment, full size natatorium, and outdoor pool like you'd see at a hotel.I was able to get a membership through my BF who works at UH, so I have a place to work out on the weekends when my company gym is closed.

All that for $22 a month!

The new tower they are presently building looks just splendid from 45 as you enter downtown!

Has it been discuss here yet? Details, details...pics? :D

At last glance seemed to be approx 6-8 stories so far?

I think that's the new graduate residence hall.

I was able to get a membership through my BF who works at UH,
Yep... it definitely makes UH a fun place to work.

Why weren't we made aware that you guys were dating?! Is this out first relationship born out of HAIF?

It's love!

Edited by lockmat

Why weren't we made aware that you guys were dating?! Is this out first relationship born out of HAIF?

It's love!

Cute. :D

Actually, you never know what trysting may go on behind the scenes here at HAIF...... :ph34r:

Why do you think we do our drinking at such crappy hole-in-the-wall bars, away from prying eyes of upstanding citizens? ;)

Cute. :D

Actually, you never know what trysting may go on behind the scenes here at HAIF...... :ph34r:

Why do you think we do our drinking at such crappy hole-in-the-wall bars, away from prying eyes of upstanding citizens? ;)

Well there are only a handful of gals it seems, so that narrows the possible field. I once thought it'd be cool/funny to have some sort of HAIF dating feature, but then I realized I probably wouldn't be compatible with anyones criteria.

not true, lol. I assumed lockmat was joking, and thought I'd wind him up a little in return.

very much joking

I see theaters, shopping and entertainment in this very spot for the future.

Must have had some do some research of how other popular campus' have progressed. One of the best examples of what this can be like would be UCLA campus or Westwood Village:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westwood,_Los...les,_California

http://www.seeing-stars.com/shop/westwood.shtml

It can be done, let's do it! :D

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/stories...63&ana=e_du

How big is this for UH and the Houston area/economy? Does Rice offer a degree in petroleum engineering?

Oil companies give $1.6M to support UH petroleum program

The University of Houston is rolling out a new petroleum engineering degree in the spring of 2009, and it

Houston-based Marathon Oil Corp. (NYSE: MRO) has pledged $600,000 over three years, bringing its total donations to the university since 1989 to $1 million.

I know $1 million is more money than I will ever see. . .hopefully not. B) But to make a big deal of a big oil company donating $1 million over 20 years just seems silly, especially when the first 18 years only amounted to $400,000.

It's still a generous donation, but seems a bit lacking at the same time.

It's a step in the right direction.

It is clear that the State of Texas will NOT spend the money to make UH a Tier 1 university. They will continue to fund UT and to a lesser extent, ATM and let the rest rely upon tuition increases, alumni + corporate giving, and other means.

The City of Houston NEEDS UH to improve across the board. This is a start.

Did you guys catch this article about a proposal to create one or two more "tier one" universities in Texas?

Lawmakers on Wednesday took one step closer to anointing a third public flagship by inviting leaders of Texas' seven "emerging" research institutions to pitch a case for why they should become the state's next tier one research university, and how much it would cost the state.

"We think we can do it, but we have to be really strategic," said Renu Khator, chancellor of the University of Houston System. "It's all about vision. Nobody invests in whining."

Didn't we have a $10 billion budgetary surplus last year? Seems like they could establish a fund to create 2 or 3 more tier one universities...

The seven under consideration:

University of Houston, Texas Tech University, University of North Texas, UT-Dallas, UT-Arlington, UT-El Paso, UT-San Antonio

growing up in Houston my next door neighbor had a PhD in nuclear physics from FSU and was in the oil business his entire life....he was also an adjunct professor at UH in Chemical Engineering

UH currently has graduate level PE degrees in the CE department

and when talking to my neighbor he stated that CE, ME, CS and a number of other engineering degrees could just as easily get you a Petroleum job if you desired and if the bottom dropped you could always flip back to a job in your "major" where a PE degree is much more difficult to transfer into another job

Good grief, there shouldn't even need to be consideration for the others. :D

If they are only gonna fund 2 more, I think UH and Texas Tech should get the extra funding...

If they are only gonna fund 2 more, I think UH and Texas Tech should get the extra funding...

I don't think Dallas would be willing to walk away empty-handed. There are more politicians with jurisdictions that fall within the Dallas sphere of influence than any other part of Texas...and Denton is more of a politically-neutral site within that region than Richardson, so I think it'd go to UNT.

I don't think Dallas would be willing to walk away empty-handed.

It's hard not to be a conspiracy-theorist on higher education funding when you remember what happened back in 2004.

If you'll recall, the presidents of UH and Texas Tech worked the state legislature for several years to get "excellence funding" to help move those two universities forward towards "Tier I" status. After their years of hard work, UH and TT were rewarded by the state lege with something like $17 million per year for two years ($6 million for Texas Tech and $11 million for UH each year for two years is what I recall).

Those "excellence funds" to UH and TT were promptly vetoed by Gov Rick Perry, citing the state budget deficit. However, Perry turned around and 3 months later and awarded $50 million of "discretionary funds" to UT-Dallas as a "Business Enterprise Fund" to spur business development.

As the legendary Bill Yeoman says, "It's hard being a Cougar."

Rick Perry's man-love for UTD and TI.

Simply Smashing use of the development fund! That was a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

But then again you have to bribe TI not to get GITI with (give it to India).

Edited by MidtownCoog

I don't think Dallas would be willing to walk away empty-handed. There are more politicians with jurisdictions that fall within the Dallas sphere of influence than any other part of Texas...and Denton is more of a politically-neutral site within that region than Richardson, so I think it'd go to UNT.

http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/ClosingTheGaps/UnivMeasRank.xls

UNT does the least amount of external research (17 million) of all emerging research universities except UTSA that does 14 million....UNT has a VERY SMALL and very underfunded engineering program that is in shambles because of the poor administration of UNT in general.....UNT has a DO school in their pseudo system, but no other medical program to work with and UNT has zero professional programs on their main campus and none besides the DO school in Fort Worth

UNT is also hamstrung by a failed system center that has failed multiple times to meet enrollment projections in south dallas and UNT is also trying to take over the UCD in dallas and is not doing well with their ideas for it....like purchasing some lofts for student residences against the recommendations of THECB....and they have admitted that the occupancy of those lofts is below expectations

UNT is trying to start a law school in dallas as another pork project to aid dallas redevelopment even though most feel there is no need for another law school in Texas especially a "low cost" one that will lag at the bottom of rankings for decades....and the business school at unt is large, but lack luster and unt has an extremely small endowment for a university of its size....UNT also has UTD and UTA right down the road and UTD is a better university for research and UTA is quickly moving past them as well

so unt will be last or next to last in line to ever receive funding to do major research.....and projections by the THECB also show that

Edited by TexasVines

Texas has only three nationally competitive research universities...Such institutions are considered vital to a region's economic growth

Then why has it taken so long to get done?

These are all powerful numbers. But Khator can't be the only one shouting them.

It will take a team of business leaders, foundations, alumni and other individuals to win the race.

Who does UH have to do that?

--------

Also...

Different subject here. A proposal to add improvments to Robertson.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5916575.html

Edited by lockmat

I see theaters, shopping and entertainment in this very spot for the future.

Must have had some do some research of how other popular campus' have progressed. One of the best examples of what this can be like would be UCLA campus or Westwood Village:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westwood,_Los...les,_California

http://www.seeing-stars.com/shop/westwood.shtml

It can be done, let's do it! :D

Si se puede!

Thought you guys may want to see some of the updates on-campus in their current state. These were taken with my iPhone yesterday, and the sun was on its way down, so they're not the best quality. Let me know if you want to see any photos of other things on the campus, and I'll snap some. I'm a current student at the university, and live on-campus so it's no big deal.

Here is the new professional/graduate student housing known as Calhoun Lofts near Entrance 1 from Spur 5:

post-7432-1230724609_thumb.jpg

This is the new retail area also on Calhoun next to the Recreation Center. The location consists of Maui Wowi (a tea/drink franchise http://www.mauiwowi.com/), Subway, Pizza Hut (take-out only), a textbook buyback/reseller, and a nice new bar called "The Den". These guys have an High Definition projector, and several TVs with satellite.

post-7432-1230724645_thumb.jpg

This is Moody Towers being restored/sealed. They're currently sandblasting and painting the exterior, and they're not done yet, so it's crazy looking.

post-7432-1230724707_thumb.jpg

Is there anything on the second floor of that retail?

Here is the new professional/graduate student housing known as Calhoun Lofts near Entrance 1 from Spur 5:

And I was gonna say in that first pic, some power washing of the concrete in the forefront wouldn't hurt.

I'm digging that retail concept.

Is it on campus or on the outskirts? It looks like street side strip center to me, or is the picture deceiving?

Is there anything on the second floor of that retail?

It's a faux second floor exteriorly. The only business that utilizes it is The Den with a tall ceiling and a faux second floor interiorly...I hope that makes sense. Let me know if I need to clarify. :P

Yeah, and Moody Towers apparently really needed the restoration. Here's UH Plant Operations' info regarding it. It apparently is at about a million dollar cost.

Is it on campus or on the outskirts? It looks like street side strip center to me, or is the picture deceiving?

I'm pretty sure it's considered to be officially on-campus. It's pretty much in between the Campus Recreation and Wellness Center and the Catholic Newman Center in what was part of the parking lot for the rec center. The land is owned by UH, and in this case the building is owned privately by a company called "Lovett Commercial". Sort of like the operations that Cullen Oaks, Bayou Oaks, and Cambridge Oaks run on-campus. This is opposed to the Welcome Center across the street, where UH owns the land and the physical facility, but lease space for retail.

It's a faux second floor exteriorly. The only business that utilizes it is The Den with a tall ceiling and a faux second floor interiorly...I hope that makes sense. Let me know if I need to clarify. :P

Yeah, and Moody Towers apparently really needed the restoration. Here's UH Plant Operations' info regarding it. It apparently is at about a million dollar cost.

Makes perfect sense, thanks.

And is that new color what it originally looked like? It's a 100% improvment.

I'm digging that retail concept.

The great thing is that even though most of the campus is dead right now due to the holidays, that bar is still lively, and Pizza Hut looked to be busy. More areas like this are key to making students want to stay on-campus outside of class.

And is that new color what it originally looked like? It's a 100% improvment.

I can't say if that's the original color, maybe somebody else knows...

Edited by Brian Reading

UH I believe has now approved the construction of three new buildings, with two of them being around the business/engineering section and the third to be an addition to the optometry school.

http://uh.edu/plantops/fpc/Bauer_Business_Building_III.html

http://uh.edu/plantops/fpc/Engineering_Stu...s_Building.html

http://uh.edu/plantops/fpc/Optometry_Addition.html

as a UH student, I'm thrilled that the school is expanding.. but they need to start focusing on other parts of the campus instead of that corner where Bauer is.