elecpharm

New Development on the University of Houston Campus

I didn't ask that question but I would assume it might become the Baylor College of Medicine at the University of Houston (sorta like Bauer, the Hilton, etc...)

The six-story building will be connected to UH's College of Optometry at the corner of Wheeler Avenue and Calhoun Road.

full story

I thought that was the building going up at the corner of Cullen at the PGH entry drive. So if this is going up at Calhoun, WHAT IS GOING ON AT CULLEN!?!?

And does anyone have any information about what they are doing at the power plant? The whole area is fenced off.

Found out everything that's happening (sorry for the double post. can I not edit my previous post?):

My linkhttp://www.uh.edu/plantops/resources/projects-log-folder/Major_Capital_Projects_Main.pdf

It's from July 2010, but it lists all the planned or current projects.

The thing at Cullen at the PGH entrance is nothing more than an expansion of the Fleming Building. I hadn't been into Fleming since the work started, but apparently they are renovating the whole thing.

The whole powerplant is being renovated, and they are replacing two of the cooling towers and two boilers.

Other things include a planned 2,400-spot parking garage at Roberston, renovations of about half a dozen buildings, extension of the Valenti School of Communications, and a third building for the Bauer College.

What is conspicuously absent it the University Center renovations.

I was on campus yesterday and saw a lot of work going on. The Optometry building in the southwest corner of campus is already up to the second story, the Fleming lab building is almost entirely finished, and there is a new building going up next the Melcher school. They were just putting up the second story of the steel frame. It's the large building in the top-right corner of this picture:

251669_987609575706_37526399_44007626_4127007_n.jpg

(I took this picture of almost a year ago in Melcher Hall with my non-smart phone, so excuse the quality).

And the most exciting of all for me, is that they have torn up that whole area along Wheeler that was cleared for the light rail, and have dug it down 2-3 feet. And sitting in the middle of it was a stack of rails! I was worried that they were going to clear the area and then leave it empty for years like the Astroworld site.

• Like 1

Im all for new construction on the campus but whats up with bland architecture like this? It's actually kinda on the ugly side.

Frankly I wish they go with a more modern design for the clocktower (and the other new buildings on campus, for that matter), but I'll take development of bland buildings over no development any day. I'm sure they are going for a timeless look that will still be appreciated 50 years from now.

Really, I wish they could do some kind of smooth, curving design for the clock tower, like a miniature version of the Shanghai Tower.

shangh-lead1.jpg

That would look fantastic.

Edited by Golyadkin

Are they really building a clock tower?

Here's what I know directly from Renu. The stadium parking garage will start going up this week. It'll have 10,000 square feet of retail on the street level. Rumor is that Taco Cabana is taking a big chunk of that space. 2,400 parking spaces.

Fund raising for the new stadium is going really well. Over $60 million has been raised and there are four companies interested in the naming rights (rumored to be asking $30 million for 20 years).

Stadium features include the following;

40,000 seats with expansion to options up to 60,000. 24 private suites. 650 club seats. 180 sideline loge boxes with 4-8 seats each. New press level. Roof top terrace with standing room for 300 people. HD Video Board.

However, what most don't know is that the East Side of the Stadium will have approximately 35,000 square feet of academic space primarily reserved for the Moores School of Music! The naming rights for this complex has been secured. It'll include marching band, cheer, and dance team rehearsal space. Wind ensembles and jazz program rehearsal space. A University-wide Hall of Honor. A new 300 seat recital hall. A band library. Locker room with shower facilities for the Spirit Groups to use on game days. Kitchenette. Reception areas and a student lounge. Office space for Moores School faculty and staff. Instrument storage facility.

New residential space will include Sophomore Housing. This will be built where the Cougar Place Apts. currently reside (Calhoun and Wheeler). Cougar Place will be torn down this summer. In its place will be an 800 bed dorm styled similarly to the freshman dorm complex just opened. Opening set for 2013. Around the same time, a married/family housing complex with 400 units and childcare center will be built across from MacGregor Park on MLK.

I guess we'll see what part of the stadium parking lot is going to be lost for the next school year next week then.

So it won't be Robertson Stadium anymore? I've always thought that school stadiums that have corporate names just seemed cheap.

I'm going to be on campus in the next few weeks, I'll bring my camera along and grab some pictures of everything that's happening.

I guess we'll see what part of the stadium parking lot is going to be lost for the next school year next week then.

So it won't be Robertson Stadium anymore? I've always thought that school stadiums that have corporate names just seemed cheap.

I'm going to be on campus in the next few weeks, I'll bring my camera along and grab some pictures of everything that's happening.

Please do, and just general documentation of the preconstruction areas would be nice. :)

When I was reading the facilities for the musical department, I was picturing glee.

Thank god I don't watch that show, I can only imagine the jazz hands I would be doing as I read this.

PS: Insomnia sucks.

any bland building they put there will look much better than Agnes Arnold Hall!

They're putting an addition to the Moores School Of Music as far away from the original MSM as you can get and still be on the UH Campus... lol

(I worked at the Moores Opera House when it first opened)

Like I said, Im all for the new construction but this new building next to the clock looks pretty close to Agnes Arnold Hall which isnt that great looking. Guess it has to do with the UH budget shortfall maybe.

Really, I wish they could do some kind of smooth, curving design for the clock tower, like a miniature version of the Shanghai Tower.

shangh-lead1.jpg

That would look fantastic.

No, that would look like a marital aid. One of the ones with enough horsepower that you have to plug it into the wall.

I'm not saying exactly like that. It was an example. I just mean that that would look better than the rigid block design they look like they are going to do.

They're putting an addition to the Moores School Of Music as far away from the original MSM as you can get and still be on the UH Campus... lol

(I worked at the Moores Opera House when it first opened)

Huh?

The addition is going up on the southwest corner of Cullen @ Holman. That's about a two minute walk, if you walk slowly, from the back entrance of the Moores School! Additionally, it'll be used extensively by the marching band, cheer, and dance teams and will make going to all of the events in Hofheinz and/or Robertson/new stadium a helluva lot easier.

No, that would look like a marital aid. One of the ones with enough horsepower that you have to plug it into the wall.

I was thinking the same thing, but I would imagine it would require a kick start engine.

I'm not saying exactly like that. It was an example. I just mean that that would look better than the rigid block design they look like they are going to do.

Hey, I'd prefer it be more rounded too...you know, if I were into that sort of thing. Blocky shapes just seem like they would hurt.

Like I promised, I walked around campus today and took around 65 photos. There's a lot of work that's going on, about to start, and that has been recently completed. Currently there are two tower cranes and two crawler cranes active on campus. I won't put all of the photos up, but if you want to see the rest I took, they'll be in my photobucket album: photobucket.com/golyadkinarchitecture

Fleming Laboratory Building:

Front:

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0107.jpg

Rear:

DSC_0112.jpg

The connection point of the new building to the old Fleming Building:

DSC_0110.jpg

Wheeler construction:

DSC_0113.jpg

DSC_0116.jpg

DSC_0134.jpg

Stacks of rails for the light rail:

DSC_0120.jpg

Light rail sign:

DSC_0131.jpg

Health and Biomedical Sciences Center:

Sign:

DSC_0138.jpg

Building:

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0132.jpg

DSC_0141.jpg

Melcher Classroom and Business Building:

Sign:

DSC_0145.jpg

Building:

DSC_0143.jpg

DSC_0147.jpg

Power Plant work:

DSC_0150.jpg

DSC_0152.jpg

DSC_0162.jpg

Lance T. Funston Communication Center/Jack J. Valenti School of Communication/Cynthia Woods Mitchell Center for the Arts:

DSC_0153.jpg

DSC_0154.jpg

DSC_0155.jpg

DSC_0156.jpg

Fenced off area around the Technology Annex:

DSC_0157.jpg

DSC_0158.jpg

DSC_0159.jpg

DSC_0160.jpg

Something going on at Science and Research 1:

DSC_0164.jpg

The stadium parking garage is going to be starting soon:

DSC_0165.jpg

Edited by Golyadkin
  • Like 1

Yup, since I'm taking summer classes at UofH, I see this everyday. The campus is definitely booming and it's making me wonder how they're doing this especially since they have an extensive budget shortfall right now... perhaps donations?

Either way, my favorite new building is definitely the new Fleming building. Very nice.

Btw, in this picture where everything is blocked off... this is actually where the new Robertson stadium parking garage is going in. I hear there will be lots of retail on the bottom floor, including possibly a Taco Cabana. The other idea that's been tossed around is that the Taco Cabana may replace Chili's to go.

DSC_0104.jpg

Edit: thanks for the pics! they were great. I take it that you are a fellow coog as well?

Edited by Triton

Yup, since I'm taking summer classes at UofH, I see this everyday. The campus is definitely booming and it's making me wonder how they're doing this especially since they have an extensive budget shortfall right now... perhaps donations?

Donations is what I've heard. Because the state keeps cutting education funding, UH is having to operate almost like a private university in terms of funding. I've also read that they have something like $60-70 million saved up for the new stadium already.

Btw, in this picture where everything is blocked off... this is actually where the new Robertson stadium parking garage is going in. I hear there will be lots of retail on the bottom floor, including possibly a Taco Cabana. The other idea that's been tossed around is that the Taco Cabana may replace Chili's to go.

DSC_0104.jpg

I noticed it was blocked off, and initally thought that's where the garage would be, but it turns out that it's going in the corner of the lot at Cullen and Holman. Lot 15F is blocked off and lot 15D is where the garage will be.

Looking at the campus map from the UH website, you can see that it's the blue outlined area marked by the number 597:

270680_10100100320598886_37526399_44222969_2051832_n.jpg

And looking at that map, I think I found something that I haven't seen announced or mentioned at all: an extension of the Wheeler Housing. The blue dashed lines represent future construction, and look what I found:

264355_10100100322599876_37526399_44222977_7878980_n.jpg

Edit: thanks for the pics! they were great. I take it that you are a fellow coog as well?

Yup. I've been there since Fall of '06. :D

Edited by Golyadkin

Btw on the stadium garage... 15F is going to be an actual Stadium seat expansion. We'll still lose the parking, but it's not going to be a garage.

This campus is truly mad with construction right now.

Whose Crane?

Nice updates. There's a lot of momentum out at UH right now.

Whose Crane?

Nice updates. There's a lot of momentum out at UH right now.

Got some more pictures today:

DSC_0873.jpg

Something is happening at the MD Anderson Library on the powerplant side:

DSC_0856.jpg

They're putting a really cool glass facade on the power plant:

DSC_0851.jpg

DSC_0850.jpg

Looks like we're getting new bus stops:

DSC_0869.jpg

Wheeler is coming along well:

DSC_0861.jpg

DSC_0862.jpg

DSC_0870.jpg

DSC_0872.jpg

New Bauer building is at its final height:

DSC_0858.jpg

DSC_0855.jpg

DSC_0852.jpg

New optometry building is getting big:

DSC_0860.jpg

They installed security posts in the parking lots:

DSC_0888.jpg

Robertson Stadium is falling apart:

DSC_0875.jpg

The new parking garage construction is under way:

DSC_0876.jpg

DSC_0877.jpg

DSC_0878.jpg

DSC_0880.jpg

DSC_0881.jpg

DSC_0882.jpg

DSC_0883.jpg

DSC_0885.jpg

• Like 1

Wow thanks for the awesome updates!!! They are flying on the new Stadium garage. They must be doing the garage and the expansion simultaneously. This Fall is going to be TOUGH having lost so much surface parking, but at least we'll gain it back once the garage is built.

Once again, I'll have to park near the freeway and walk all the way to the COA this semester. Parking is especially bad if you have later morning classes, but I'd rather not get up at 5:30 AM like I used to.

I also wish the streets were as smooth as the rendering shows them to be. Way to many pot holes down Cullen.

Yeah, it is a bit on the harsh side, but I hope that they will take care of that AFTER all the (with Light rail AND the campus )construction is done in that area.

Yeah, it is a bit on the harsh side, but I hope that they will take care of that AFTER all the (with Light rail AND the campus )construction is done in that area.

Totally agree. With Wheeler the way it is, the last thing we need is major construction on Cullen.

Really surprised how many people that go to UH are on here!

Some updated pictures:

Optometry building:

DSC_0523.jpg

DSC_0512-1.jpg

Business building:

DSC_0521.jpg

Stadium garage (this thing is shooting up like crazy fast):

DSC_0520.jpg

DSC_0516-1.jpg

Fleming lab building:

DSC_0488.jpg

DSC_0493.jpg

DSC_0490.jpg

Power Plant:

DSC_0484.jpg

DSC_0482.jpg

Edited by Golyadkin
  • Like 1

Pictures from about a week ago:

Business building:

DSC_0549.jpg

DSC_0548.jpg

DSC_0539.jpg

DSC_0537.jpg

Optometry Building:

DSC_0547.jpg

DSC_0241.jpg

DSC_0242.jpg

Garage:

DSC_0538.jpg

(Overhead shot from ~1 month ago)

DSC_0231.jpg

Power Plant:

DSC_0544.jpg

Construction around Technology Annex:

DSC_0546.jpg

Off topic, but...What the HUH?? Why is there snow in pic #3? I'm out of town a lot, but don't remember hearing it had snowed here.

Thanks for all the pictures - was the snow from a Cougar promo event?

I'm sometimes at UH after work and I'm amazed at all that's going on - it's been about a decade since I left working/going to school there and it's a different world.

Thanks for all the pictures - was the snow from a Cougar promo event?

Perhaps it had something to do with UH's new conference affiliation with all those snowy northeastern schools. At least, that's the best I can figure...

Wow! Great projects. And I love that the new buildings are tall. I only wish that UH would do more infill projects. It seems like UH is experiencing urban sprawl. They should take into account how long it takes a student to walk between classes.

Fellow Coog here that actually played in the snow so I can answer your questions...the snow is called UH's Winter Wonderland and it was made possible by an organization called SPB (Student Program Board). There were funnel cakes, hot chocolate, a gingerbread house competition and a lot of other free stuff.. it was like a present to the UH students before they left for the break.

Edit: The snow was mainly there so that people could have snowball fights

Edited by Triton
  • Like 1

This may warrant its own topic...

UH has taken the next major step in developing its new stadium: http://blog.chron.co...rd-its-stadium/

The University of Houston took a step in its process toward a new football stadium on Monday, issuing a request for qualification (RFQ) for architectural firms to submit proposals to design the new stadium.

Included among the things on UH’s list for the stadium project:

• 40,000-seat capacity, expandable to 60,000 in the future in 10,000-seat increments (phase two would be 50,000 seats, phase three would be 60,000 seats).
  • Premium seats (suites, club, loge, etc.) would be about 4,000.
  • A club lounge that would have view of the field, the downtown skyline and premium food and beverage amenities would be approximately 12,000 square feet.
  • Individual suites would be about 274 square feet apiece.
  • The Cougars’ locker room would be around 8,500 square feet and would include toilets, showers, separate coaches accommodations, training, treatment and exam facilities and equipment and manager space.
  • A 20,000 square-foot multi-purpose academic center.
  • The press box (which would include a visiting athletic director’s suite) would be above the main suite level.

UH has raised about half of the projected $120 million construction cost.

40,000-seat capacity seems small. I see the ability for expansion being planned into the development, but even 60,000 seats seems small for a University poising itself for significant growth in reputation, student population and alumni/community engagement.

Edited by Simbha

40,000 seems small? That's a smart number for UH. We have around 40,000 students right now which obviously doesn't include the alumni that come to the games.. parents and the other side that decides to show up. That means when the spotlight is on, the stadium looks packed and I'd imagine with this new stadium, it won't be free for students anymore. So UH can charge a good amount on a ticket since more people will be competing for the same ticket.. Of course, it won't be great for the students but the university will get a better image during the games and of course a lot more profit

40,000 seems small?

Yes, to me it seems small. Even with the expansion (to 40,000), the stadium would be in the lower third of NCAA FBS stadium capacities.

The campus is quickly growing (2.4% annual student population growth since 2005), outpacing Texas A&M (1.9%) and UT-Austin (0.6%). It is the principal public higher education institution in one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country.

Most NCAA FBS stadium have seating for a population that is significantly greater than the student body. Of course, one driver for this is that most students (including grad students) are enrolled in a university for four years or less; however, they will be alumni for many years after. For example, looking at the largest universities in Texas that are also in the FBS:

University - Current Enrollment - Stadium Capacity - Ratio

University of Texas at El Paso - 22,640 - 52,000 - 2.3

University of Texas at Austin - 51,145 - 100,119 - 2.0

Texas Tech University - 32,327 - 60,454 - 1.9

Texas A&M University - 51,895 - 83,002 - 1.6

University of Houston - 39,824 - 40,000 - 1.0

University of North Texas - 35,722 - 30,850 - 0.9

Furthermore, looking at the future Big East Conference, UH would rank near the bottom in stadium capacity, despite being one of the largest schools in the conference (in terms of student enrollment).

So UH can charge a good amount on a ticket since more people will be competing for the same ticket.. Of course, it won't be great for the students but the university will get a better image during the games and of course a lot more profit

Well, I can't argue with this - but not because I agree, but because I haven't seen the pricing/cost analysis. But, generically - Smaller stadium and competition for tickets doesn't necessarily translate to greater profit. And, while I know you're using the term informally, state universities are not in the business of making a profit - at a minimum, they're there to provide an education to members of the populace; in regards to sports facilities, they support such programs in order to (i) provide recreation for the university community and (ii) garner moral and financial support for the school. I don't think that packing a stadium and leaving some people who want to attend games out is the best way to achieve these goals.

Look, I'm REALLY glad that my alma mater is revamping its football digs - but I'm a bit disappointed that the initial phase is such a modest expansion from its current capacity. These expansion plans just seem a bit short-sighted to me.

Enrollment doesnt drive football attendance. Demand for football tickets does, and 40,000 is about right for Houston football. Up to this point, it has taken a great season for them to fill 30,000 seat Robertson.

Yes, to me it seems small. Even with the expansion (to 40,000), the stadium would be in the lower third of NCAA FBS stadium capacities.

The campus is quickly growing (2.4% annual student population growth since 2005), outpacing Texas A&M (1.9%) and UT-Austin (0.6%). It is the principal public higher education institution in one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country.

Most NCAA FBS stadium have seating for a population that is significantly greater than the student body. Of course, one driver for this is that most students (including grad students) are enrolled in a university for four years or less; however, they will be alumni for many years after. For example, looking at the largest universities in Texas that are also in the FBS:

University - Current Enrollment - Stadium Capacity - Ratio

University of Texas at El Paso - 22,640 - 52,000 - 2.3

University of Texas at Austin - 51,145 - 100,119 - 2.0

Texas Tech University - 32,327 - 60,454 - 1.9

Texas A&M University - 51,895 - 83,002 - 1.6

University of Houston - 39,824 - 40,000 - 1.0

University of North Texas - 35,722 - 30,850 - 0.9

Furthermore, looking at the future Big East Conference, UH would rank near the bottom in stadium capacity, despite being one of the largest schools in the conference (in terms of student enrollment).

Well, I can't argue with this - but not because I agree, but because I haven't seen the pricing/cost analysis. But, generically - Smaller stadium and competition for tickets doesn't necessarily translate to greater profit. And, while I know you're using the term informally, state universities are not in the business of making a profit - at a minimum, they're there to provide an education to members of the populace; in regards to sports facilities, they support such programs in order to (i) provide recreation for the university community and (ii) garner moral and financial support for the school. I don't think that packing a stadium and leaving some people who want to attend games out is the best way to achieve these goals.

Look, I'm REALLY glad that my alma mater is revamping its football digs - but I'm a bit disappointed that the initial phase is such a modest expansion from its current capacity. These expansion plans just seem a bit short-sighted to me.

I would argue that the purpose of student athletics is primarily to enhance the brand awareness among prospective students in the short term and brand loyalty among alumni in the long term. Football is particularly effective at marketing a university to out-of-state and international students that otherwise would be completely unfamiliar with a school that has traditionally had only a regional draw and a more regionally-limited diaspora; but even a girls' volleyball team, paraded around the Chinese countryside, can drum up a surprising number of applications. These students pay higher tuition rates, which helps the school indirectly, but immediately. And from a larger pool of applicants, the student body quality will increase as well, which in turn leads to greater prestige, and prestige results in even more applications, easier hiring of better professors, a warmer reception from employers of the school's graduates, and a wealthier and more proud alumni base. In the very long term, that alumni base will reward the school with charitable donations and also with generational loyalty.

To the extent that UH Football will now receive additional television air time, it is important to craft the appropriate image. When the camera tilts upward to view the stands, nobody is counting how many rows there are of seats, but they certainly notice whether those seats are occupied. And when there are empty stands (like at the TicketCity Bowl game), it communicates the wrong message. For most games, 40,000 seats is plenty. It'll probably be a long while before we can fill 60,000, even for the most highly anticipated of games; and if we need more than that for some special event, there's Reliant Stadium.

UH is just starting out, really. It could increase the student population to match or even exceed that of UT-Austin, but it still wouldn't be of like-kind. It'll take a while. Perhaps, a long while. In the meantime, where very-big stadium capacities are concerned, it is better to lease than to own.

I hate to say it, but Baylor's proposed stadium looks much better.

This stadium doesn't have any defining characteristics. Kind of disappointing, but it's new, so at least it will have a better facade. It'll grow on me I'm sure.

On the other hand, the outside of the basketball stadium looks pretty good.

I hate to say it, but Baylor's proposed stadium looks much better.

This stadium doesn't have any defining characteristics. Kind of disappointing, but it's new, so at least it will have a better facade. It'll grow on me I'm sure.

On the other hand, the outside of the basketball stadium looks pretty good.

Baylor's funding includes one prominent ex Houston Major Leauge Babseball owner who just made a killing on the sale of his team. Too bad Houston money will be used to help a University in Waco.

Also, this in NOT the final design. It is a marketing design study used to generate funding and to market the project. They have only recently issued RFQ's to begin the actual design of the stadium.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 3