• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
University of Houston hires architects PageSoutherlandPage and DLR Group to build Cougars new on-campus football stadium.

https://twitter.com/...636146931474432

The school will break ground in December, with plans for the new stadium to open in time for the 2014 season.

Read more:

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/18769302/university-of-houston-hires-architects-for-new-football-stadium#ixzz1xc1W9l00

Edited by lockmat
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

In an age where students understand and can use the internet to source their books, how relevant is a B&N? Isn't that just for old people and dullards, like Blockbuster has become?

Doesn't B&N already run the UofH bookstore? I know they own the HCC bookstore.

Edited by august948

This evening the Engineering College is hosting a goodbye BBQ party open to anyone who wants to attend for the Y building on campus. The building was almost as old as the university and will be demolished sometime in the next month. No plans as of yet what the school will do with the open space.

y.jpg

$10 says it'll be a surface parking lot. Where you have to pay.

I would really like you to put some thought and effort in your posts. I like checking on this forum from time to time, and your comments come across as quantity over quality. It hurts my eyes to read what seems at times like the result of you typing with your face. Please go play Sim City and leave this forum to the grown folks. Thank you. :rolleyes:

I would really like you to put some thought and effort in your posts. I like checking on this forum from time to time, and your comments come across as quantity over quality. It hurts my eyes to read what seems at times like the result of you typing with your face. Please go play Sim City and leave this forum to the grown folks. Thank you. :rolleyes:

Some folk lack the ability to appreciate genius.

• Like 1

Cougar Place is being replaced by more stick construction? What the heck is wrong with UH. They need to build only with long lasting materials, like concrete blocks and steel! There is nothing more destructive than newly liberated from parents 18 year olds living by themselves. No dorms should ever be built with stick construction methods. That's why they had to tear down Cougar Place after only 30 years!

• 2 weeks later...

Well that's just great. Looks like the parking situation is going to get worse with all these lots closed off.. I don't even care if they built a new parking garage. The situation looks bad just based on these pics.

Edit: Look, I know this is a necessary evil so that they can build more parking garages, but what irks me about UofH is that they'll just shut down this huge lot (1A) and I bet you they won't create a single new temporary parking lot for the faculty and students. They're just going to make us deal with it.

Edited by Triton

• 4 weeks later...

I was looking at the online campus map (http://www.uh.edu/maps/) just now, and noticed that all of the buildings that are planned or under construction are outlined in a dashed blue line, and there are two that I hadn't seen any prior reference to anywhere.

There appear to be plans for a building next to the new Fleming Lab building:

Unknownbuilding1.jpg

and one behind the new Biomedical Sciences building:

Unknownbuilding2.jpg

• Like 1

1A parking garage rendering

IMG_1424.jpg

Fence has been down for a week or two. Finishing up and have the landscaping in. Looks nice.

IMG_1432.jpg

I also was walking by the new cafeteria going in on the corner of Wheeler and Cullen and noticed that parking lot 13A was fenced off. Anyone know why, could we be expecting something to rise over here?

That is great news!

Does anyone have a list of the total 'on-campus' housing buildings and # of beds. I found some but not all.

I wonder what the total count is so we can finally end this "commuter school" thing.

From the linked article:

". . . more than 6,000 students living either on campus or in partner-managed student housing complexes adjacent to campus."

and

"over 4,000 students signed in to the residence halls on campus."

I spent an hour and a half circling campus in the ridiculous heat getting these pictures. I REALLY hope it cools down by the next time I go around and take another set. :P

Insperity Center (yes, that's what the new business building is going to be called http://swamplot.com/...ner/2012-08-31/):

DSC_0197.jpg?t=1346456567

DSC_0199.jpg?t=1346456632

DSC_0200.jpg?t=1346456665

DSC_0202.jpg?t=1346456726

The Engineering Laboratory (the old hanger-looking building) was demolished:

DSC_0198.jpg?t=1346456604

Garden between Melcher and the new building:

DSC_0201.jpg?t=1346456694

Power Plant:

DSC_0196.jpg?t=1346456537

Cougar Village 2:

DSC_0195.jpg?t=1346456508

UC renovation (I didn't get the front of the UC - the little info desk and the awning are both gone):

DSC_0203.jpg?t=1346456756

DSC_0204.jpg?t=1346456790

DSC_0205.jpg?t=1346456823

DSC_0208.jpg?t=1346456920

Finished optometry building:

DSC_0206.jpg?t=1346456851

1A garage:

DSC_0207.jpg?t=1346456885

New dining hall:

DSC_0210.jpg?t=1346456996

DSC_0211.jpg?t=1346457030

DSC_0213.jpg?t=1346457095

Cougar Place:

DSC_0214.jpg?t=1346457129

DSC_0212.jpg?t=1346457061

Finished stadium garage:

DSC_0216.jpg?t=1346457191

DSC_0215.jpg?t=1346457159

New front of the Fine Arts building (facing the parking lot):

DSC_0217.jpg?t=1346457225

I didn't get a picture of it from the right side, but it looks like they are changing the intersection at Entrance 13 (this one: http://goo.gl/maps/DS6FC) and the parking lot there so that the entrance lines up with the street coming in and the intersection isn't all weird like it is now:

DSC_0209.jpg?t=1346456959

Edited by Golyadkin

Wow UH is really getting some nice architecture. These new buildings look more interesting then the majority of new construction taking place in Houston. Other developers need to take note. The insperity center, power plant, optometry building, and dining hall all look great.