Great News! Keeping the stadium at the Robertson site helps more with revitalizing the area between U of H and TSU. The area closer to I-45 would have more visibility but the manicured grass fields are currently not the rundown eyesore that the Wheeler/Scott intersection is.

The new football stadium, Hofheinz's renovation, Metro's light rail and accompanying street reconstruction (somebody please reconstruct Cullen as well!), the new Cougar Place (Sophmore) and new Freshmen dorms on Wheeler, and the West Dining Hall will all be great improvements to the area and give it a "newer" feel within a couple of years.

Great News! Keeping the stadium at the Robertson site helps more with revitalizing the area between U of H and TSU. The area closer to I-45 would have more visibility but the manicured grass fields are currently not the rundown eyesore that the Wheeler/Scott intersection is.

The new football stadium, Hofheinz's renovation, Metro's light rail and accompanying street reconstruction (somebody please reconstruct Cullen as well!), the new Cougar Place (Sophmore) and new Freshmen dorms on Wheeler, and the West Dining Hall will all be great improvements to the area and give it a "newer" feel within a couple of years.

Elgin too, between Scott and 45 Elgin is in really bad shape. Of course, traveling up Lockwood on the other side isn't in great shape either, but baby steps are good...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nothing really new here, but this article from the Daily Cougar nicely sums up the development of the new dorms on campus.

http://thedailycougar.com/2012/04/16/double-vision-dorms/

They should build an observation tower (akin to the Space Needle or Tower of the Americas) on campus.

One early plan for the business school area included a clock tower. Nothing as tall as you're suggesting, though - and I'm not even sure if it included public access to the top. Regardless, it's my understanding that it's dead.

I'd settle for an observation tower in Houston, period. After 9/11, most office building observation decks severely limited their access. I'm not exactly sure how preventing tourists and the like from visiting observation decks prevents crazed people from destroying buildings with planes, but... hey, whatever it takes.

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet, but I read in the Daily Cougar last week that lot 1A (the surface lot across from Moody Tower and next to the first garage) will have a garage built on it that is planned to open either Summer or Fall 2014.

This is great news for the University of Houston in my opinion and deserves a mention even though it isn't architecture related.

548443_3702645965773_1264181954_3535743_200125666_n.jpg

Myself and a bunch from the Youth for Ron Paul have worked hard trying to get him to come and he will be there next Friday.

It is absolutely FREE so come out and hear what all the fuss is about. Bring as many or as few of people as you'd like. It will be a good time for sure!

I think those were monkeys who put up those signs. Youth for Ron Paul @ UofH wasn't part of that brigade.

Nice to hear about lot 1A. It needed a parking garage or a repaving. Should look nice alongside the light rail.

Edited by fatesdisastr

Damn it. Well, I park in that parking lot for dinner at the cafeteria... guess I'll have to find another space. Glad to hear they are building more garages though

Edited by Triton

Not sure if anyone goes into Melcher aka Bauer here on campus, but if you do, have you noticed these wretched shelves they installed this week and last week above the urinals?

IMG_1212.jpg

IMG_1211.jpg

This has to be one of the most poorly placed shelves I have seen in a long time. Nothing like a shelf that sticks out further than the urinal. Not only that but it is right in your face and I have yet to see anyone use it. You literally have to lean your head back if you want to use it.

Sorry, I had to rant and vent somewhere. I hope they take these things down asap.

As someone who works full-time at UofH, it's really exciting to see so much activity. You can tell how much the new dorms contribute to campus.

Now we really need to recruit some more area retail. More bars, an off-campus bookstore with amenities (we lost the College Store, but I'm thinking more like a full-service Barnes and Noble with coffee and lounge area), and late night places to hang out.

Retail would be really great if you place it near Elgin and Scott. That will be the eventual meeting of the two rail lines.

Now we really need to recruit some more area retail. More bars, an off-campus bookstore with amenities (we lost the College Store, but I'm thinking more like a full-service Barnes and Noble with coffee and lounge area), and late night places to hang out.

In an age where students understand and can use the internet to source their books, how relevant is a B&N? Isn't that just for old people and dullards, like Blockbuster has become?

Not necessarily. I'm thinking more like a college hang-out place than a bookstore. Coffee houses, etc.

UofH might actually meet its goal of having all Freshman on campus by 2014. Once that class goes through, it's going to be a very different university. The culture is changing rapidly from its commuter-college ways. But we're still hurt by the severe lack of area retail.

Edited by totheskies

Actually a B&N would be awesome. I know I myself and a bunch of my friends would go there. A quiet environment to study and a good hang out place to get coffee especially since all the Starbucks seem to close early here.. good way to find other types of books as well.

Actually a B&N would be awesome. I know I myself and a bunch of my friends would go there. A quiet environment to study and a good hang out place to get coffee especially since all the Starbucks seem to close early here.. good way to find other types of books as well.

Stay tuned. :)