What do you think about this house?

texas911

My biggest objection to the exterior is the choice of brick. That stands out and not in a good way. Almost makes the house appear old and the porch just some weird new addition.

The interior spaces are nice and I like the fact that they tried to build "green" where they could. However, the kitchen and baths, while nice, just seem to copy what's "hot" in Houston development right now. I'd want to change everything out because it looks like a builder spec home (which, of course, it is).

Overall though, it's not a bad attempt.

I think the exterior photography isn't helping this one. I think they "caught" a bad angle that makes the porch stick out more. I would have to see it in person.

I like the kitchen myself. Finally something other than granite, and the glass-tile backsplash looks great. It looks like the Arts & Crafts blend from Modwalls.

I believe the Architect on this one is a fellow HAIFer.

I think the exterior photography isn't helping this one. I think they "caught" a bad angle that makes the porch stick out more. I would have to see it in person.

I like the kitchen myself. Finally something other than granite, and the glass-tile backsplash looks great. It looks like the Arts & Crafts blend from Modwalls.

Maybe you're right about the pic, but the porch seems too overwhelming and the brick post-bases are just a tad gaudy. Why not a period wrap-around?

Creativity is good but these attempts to blend into the nabe with mutant versions of the original style just seem off to me, sort of like an original bungalow that's been remuddled, but that's just my own historically slanted view.

I too am going to drive by and open my mind and try to ignore my own preconceived opinions and try to absorb the artist's vision as it at least looks like some care and thought went into it.

Ok, don't keep me in suspense! Who? WHO?!?!?????!?!?!?!?!?!?

Planktastick:

hr1636449-99.jpg

I'm not a fan of that look either. It is so hard to get that siding to look good in really long runs like that.

I'd rather see varying sizes of cedar shakes or something like that if brick/stone is out of the price range.

flipper

The kitechen is odd, its like a galley kitchen. Look at that giant stove, imagine it with the oven door open. That's not a lot of space to work with. Overall I like it, just the details aren't quite there. At least for me.

for being over 3000 sq ft, it is surprising that 2 of the 3 bedrooms are 10x11. the master is 15x13 which small too. Sure not family friendly. with all those planks on the porch i could see this in the pacific northwest. how long has it been on the market?

i like the idea of a huge porch, but unfortunately, the sides of the house are too reminiscent of an apartment complex.

1636449-99.jpg

also like the tile in the kitchen, but on the whole, for that price, no way.

and maybe the first picture is hiding some landscaping, but this is going to need a ton more to make this place look decent

The only thing i would change is the brick. Change it to a limestone and you get a great hill country flair, that many in this town would like to have, but the area the house is in I don't think could withstand such a change to the architecture of the area. This house would be great in Aspen or other Colorado skitowns. Just has that "Modern Lodge" feeling to it.

I went in this house during an open house a few weeks back. I did like the interior but a huge problem (for me at least) was that the view from both the living room and the porch is of a wooden fence. If the yard was bigger it might work, but as you can tell from the pictures there isnt much room between the fence and porch.

The only nice part of the exterior is the porch with the cedar rafter tails and rails with the "craftsman style" roof. The rest of it is nothing more than a pre-fab looking vinyl sided long box.

The interior is nice for this style of house. I think the house isn't worth the price though.

Archived