Windward Court Apartments At 901 Rosalie St.

Modernceo

1890's -1910's two story building near Main, used for haunted houses ?

Theres a 2-3 story boarded up building in downtown, near Main on the south side of downtown, that has been vacant for a few years now. It was used every once in a while for a haunted house ,and it still has a very unique style, and feel to it, even though it is boarded up, decorated as a haunted house.

It stands out like an eyesore because its the only building built before the 1950's other than a few churches in this part of town.

Anyone familiar with the history of it, or even better, have some pictures of it when it was in better shape years ago, before becoming a haunted house ?

is this the one by the HCC building?

Yes. It's on the northeast corner of Travis and Rosalie.

There previously was a thread about this building, but it may have been on the old board. I'm trying to remember the name of the building...Windward? Something like that.

I'll check again next time I'm in the neighborhood.

The 1966 and 1969 city directory show 901 Rosalie to be at the intersection of the 3100 block of Louisiana.

In 1969, 901 had two residents/units (Anastasia Keloudes and Mary G. Richey) and 903 had four residents/units (George A. Barbosa, J F Means, Isavro Salazar, and Petros Kavouris). That is the only thing listed in the 900 block.

I agree that 901 Rosalie was an Apartment building from the mid 1930s.

Here is a bit of Houston History. From 1871-1878 the Texas State Fair was held in Houston. The State Fair organization purchased a large parcel of land south of town on which to hold the fair. I believe it was around 1400 acres, but someone else can (and probably will) correct me. The land that Apartment building is on was part of the Fairgrounds which were platted into a new addition in 1891

Fairgrounds1.jpg

Fairgrounds2.jpg

• 2 months later...
901 Rosalie, Windward Apts.(?), aka the Fear Factory.

HCAD says 1935.

Windward Courts.

HCAD is sometimes considerably off on their dates of construction. IMO it looks more like something built in the early to mid-20's.

Edit: Changed thread title

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Great document sevfiv, many nice pics in it...gotta check that apt. bldg. out.

Would like to see it used for something other than a seasonal "haunted house".

My theater notes say he also designed the Ritz Theater on Preston Ave. (downtown) in 1926.

Great document sevfiv, many nice pics in it...gotta check that apt. bldg. out.

Would like to see it used for something other than a seasonal "haunted house".

My theater notes say he also designed the Ritz Theater on Preston Ave. (downtown) in 1926.

Ditto...great document. Did you notice the Howard Hughes house? The ads in the back are also interesting.....

• 4 months later...

Apparently the owner filed for "protected landmark status" of the Windward Court Apartment at 901 Rosalie in January of 2010. See info here:

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/historic_pres/HAHC_20100108/PLM_901_Rosalie_St_Winward_Apts.pdf

According to the link it was built circa 1923.

I've worked across the street from this building for years now and have always been fascinated with it. I just walked by a few minutes ago and saw a blue City of Houston sign on the front saying it is unsafe and scheduled to be demolished. The back (brick) wall on the second floor is starting to bow inward. I hope when the building does fall that the bums are not still sleeping underneath. If you look down from the sidewalk you can see their sleeping bags and Old English 40ozs. I remember going to the Fear Factory during high school about 15 or 20 years ago and at the time I had no idea of the architectural or historical significance of the building. Then again when you're being chased down a dark stairwell by a guy with a chainsaw I guess your mind is in another place.

• 6 months later...

In the last couple of days it's been demolished.

R.I.P.

Hate to see it go, but it had deteriorated to the point of being unsalvageable.

(Wish I'd known about the demolition, as some of the decorative details [imay have been salvageable.)

In the last couple of days it's been demolished.

R.I.P.

Hate to see it go, but it had deteriorated to the point of being unsalvageable.

(Wish I'd known about the demolition, as some of the decorative details may have been salvageable.)

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed that the old dilapidated building just north of the HCC admin building, at Travis and Anita/Rosalie is gone. Welcome news, indeed.

... and this is why I find this Forum so enlightening.

I'm saddened by Windward Court's demolition. Although it had decayed beyond any economical hope of restoration, it was still a beautifully designed building, constructed of substantial materials. Even in its shabby condition, I found it more appealing than having another Midtown vacant lot.

Of this I'm fairly certain; whatever (eventually) replaces it is unlikely to have as much architectural merit.

• The title was changed to Windward Court Apartments At 901 Rosalie St.

Archived