Home At 1109 Andrews St.

hero5137

Hello,

I recently drove through 4th ward and was intrigued by the new construction mixed with not so new construction. I have been entertaining the idea a purchasing a property in the area and I noticed 1109 Andrews is for sale. However, in my due diligence I have realized there exists a bit of element to be concerned about. Other than the riff raff associated with the area is there anything else to consider before buying a home in the area. Also, any info on the 1109 Andrews house would be really appreciated. Seems nice from the outside. Then again...

Hello,

I recently drove through 4th ward and was intrigued by the new construction mixed with not so new construction. I have been entertaining the idea a purchasing a property in the area and I noticed 1109 Andrews is for sale. However, in my due diligence I have realized there exists a bit of element to be concerned about. Other than the riff raff associated with the area is there anything else to consider before buying a home in the area. Also, any info on the 1109 Andrews house would be really appreciated. Seems nice from the outside. Then again...

I looked at 4th ward at one point, myself, and Andrews Street in particular--although a few blocks further back from where you're looking. The view is terrific from certain angles and I personally like the really narrow one-way streets. But unless you go four-story, your views are hardly protected. That, and the neighborhood is still very rough. There's even some public housing back there, and it certainly isn't going anywhere.

I wish that I could tell you something about 1109 Andrews other than that it is located at Latitude 29.755665 N and Longitude 95.37883 W and that the roof appears pixelated in Google Earth...but it isn't listed on MLS.

Are you buying the house for the house or for the land? If for the land, then all you need to know is that there's nowhere for the price to go but up...and nowhere for (most) of the riff raff to go but away.

well, just to put some reference on the table (in no way affirming or negating anyone's statements):

http://muse.jhu.edu/journals/journal_of_in...0.2smith_g.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aunt_Jemima

Throughout this impressive work, Manring reveals clearly that Aunt Jemima was unlike other trademarks that degraded African-Americans. A systematic effort was made to give Aunt Jemima a personal history and make her "a real southern cook" (115). As early as 1893, a black woman was employed to make personal appearances at public events and to pretend that she was Aunt Jemima. This gimmick was successful in appealing to new consumers.

-or-

The phrase "Aunt Jemima" is sometimes used as a female version of Uncle Tom to refer to a black woman who is perceived as obsequiously servile or acting in, or protective of, the interests of whites.

The 1950s television show Beulah came under fire for depicting a mammy-like black maid and cook who was somewhat reminiscent of Aunt Jemima. Today, "Beulah" and "Aunt Jemima" are regarded as more or less interchangeable as terms of disparagement.

ooh, and:

As Aunt Jemima, her most cartoonlike incarnation, Mammy stands with Sambo, Uncle Tom, and Uncle Ben, the coon, the pickaninny, and the golliwog. As a commercial character she was close kin to the Cream of Wheat chef, the Gold Dust Twins, and Hambone. Food and cleaning products were the chief ones to use black stereotypes; these were the subjects, it was implied, about which blacks knew better than whites. But Mammy was more complicated. All sorts of feelings and ideas became associated with her stereotype. She not only fed and raised white children but often mediated between whites and blacks. "Miss Scarlett, I don't know nothin' 'bout birthin' babies," was the classic line of Butterfly McQueen as Prissy in Gone With the Wind, but Hattie McDaniel as Mammy did know midwifing and child raising and much more.

Mammy her life and times, American Heritage, Sept. 1993, Vol. 44, Issue 5

People who accuse others of racism without merrit are just as bad as actual racists. His comment was in NO way racist.

So, if you encountered the woman in the photo, would you be comfortable greeting her as "Hey, Aunt Jemima!"? And would you be surprised if she seemed less than delighted? And would you greet a white woman the same way?

Of course not. It would be rude, and you're not rude. And rude remarks based on a person's race are (IMO) racist.

So, if you encountered the woman in the photo, would you be comfortable greeting her as "Hey, Aunt Jemima!"? And would you be surprised if she seemed less than delighted? And would you greet a white woman the same way?

Of course not. It would be rude, and you're not rude. And rude remarks based on a person's race are (IMO) racist.

I lovingly refer to my housekeeper as Aunt Jemima

• The title was changed to Fourth Ward Andrews St.
  • The title was changed to Home At 1109 Andrews St.