"Black" Friday

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

I usually just give out checks and cash for gifts :D:D

Black Friday sales up 6 percent from '05

NEW YORK - The nation's retailers had a strong start to the holiday shopping season, according to results announced Saturday by a national research group that tracks sales at mall-based stores. One big exception was Wal-Mart Stores Inc., which said it expects to report same-store sales in November below its already lackluster forecast.

According to ShopperTrak RCT Corp., which tracks total sales at more than 45,000 mall-based retail outlets, total sales rose 6 percent to $8.96 billion on Friday, the start of the holiday shopping season, compared to the same day a year ago.

"Although we anticipated a solid consumer turnout for Black Friday, this data shows an even larger increase than expected as consumers proved they were willing to spend," said Bill Martin, co-founder of ShopperTrak, in a statement.

Wal-Mart, however, estimated it will post a 0.1 percent decline in same-store sales, or sales at stores opened at least a year, in November. That's slightly below its original projections for flat sales for the month, compared to the year-ago period. The results cover the four-week period that ended through Friday. Same-store sales are considered a key indicator of a retailer's health.

J.C. Penney Co. said in a separate statement released Saturday that the holiday shopping season was "off to a good start."

"We have seen brisk traffic in our stores, and our 'redbox gifts' selection is being well-received by customers," Penney said, referring to its holiday must-have items. It said that home entertainment, fashion jewelry, children's apparel, housewares, holiday decorations and women's shoes were among the most popular items Friday.

Wal-Mart and other major retailers are expected to report final same-store results for November on Thursday.

Wal-Mart's disappointing performance in November is the latest in a string of anemic sales gains for the discount store, which is struggling to expand its appeal to higher-income shoppers. According to the International Council of Shopping Centers, Wal-Mart has averaged a meager 2.4 percent gain in same-store sales for the February-October period. That compares with a same-store sales 4.8 percent gain for discount rival Target Corp. Penney has averaged a 4.5 percent gain in same-store sales for the February-October period...................

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20061126/ap_on_...ck_friday_sales

Went to Best Buy @ galleria right around 5:15 am to get a 19" hdtv for 199. It was a favor for my wife's aunt. Line to check out stretched all the way from appliances to car stereos, so i stashed the tv and went to the ipod store to pick up a nano on sale from 199 to 178. Learned later there is a 10% student discount...(crap).

Rolled back into Best Buy after a leisurely breakfast at chick fil a with my wife, around 8 or so. Picked up my stashed tv and checked out with NO line.

Im curious what the 100 or so people that were in line from at least 830pm the night before were waiting for. The good 'deals' i saw were a notebook for 379 and a 50 " plasma for 499. I guess the notebook is a good deal, but later an employee said the store had only 18. And the 50" plasma had a crappy resolution, like 720p. To wait that long, its gotta be something great, right?

Funny thing, when i drove by on the way home thursday, i saw a couple girls running into the dumpster enclosure of chick fil a, presumably to pee.... man thats gross.

I ended up at the Harley Davidson store.

I have a couple of inlaws who live in a region of the country known locally as the "Nort'woods." It's close enough to Canada that they might as well watch hockey on TV.

That is -- if they had TV. There are no TV stations up there. No radio stations. There IS electricity a few miles away, but where they live is... shall we say... "off the grid."

What they DO have is a huge pole barn FILLED with Harley Davidsons in various states of repair.

So Christmas shopping is easy -- new Harley Davidson knit hats and belt buckles for everyone!

seems like same ole gimmicks that retailers have been using for decades to lure shoppers in with a few items at the LOW, LOW PRICE and then switch them to another object. i heard some stores only had 1-2 of the aforementioned items.

no thanks.

i think that is called bait and switch.

I don't get into all the Friday after Thanksgiving hype. This year I was content with staying home and working on projects there most of the day, and enjoying a day off. I did venture out to Circuit City to pick up a new LCD monitor for my home PC that I ordered online, and waited in line about 10 minutes to pick it up around 1:00 PM, but I was still in and out of the store quickly. And yes, the monitor was on sale, but that was just a bonus to me -- I was probably going to buy one over the weekend anyway. But this business of people camping out overnight at stores, or stores opening before 7:00 AM is ridiculous. I really don't think the stores make all that much money on those sales anyway, because they are often selling many of the biggest bargains at or below cost.

I'll do most of my shopping on weekday evenings when the stores are less crowded, and online, where I don't have to deal with going to the store at all.

Archived