Country Club Place

I'm in the process of looking for a house, and one of the neighborhoods I'm looking in is Country Club Place. I really like the scenic surroundings of the golf course and the convent, and the neighborhood seems really well-kept. However, I'm a bit leary of the apartment complexes on the north side of the neighborhood. Is there very much crime associated with these apartments? If so, does this affect the adjacent neighborhood? Perhaps one of you "East End-ers" could fill me in on some more information about this area. Thanks.

I'm in the process of looking for a house, and one of the neighborhoods I'm looking in is Country Club Place. I really like the scenic surroundings of the golf course and the convent, and the neighborhood seems really well-kept. However, I'm a bit leary of the apartment complexes on the north side of the neighborhood. Is there very much crime associated with these apartments? If so, does this affect the adjacent neighborhood? Perhaps one of you "East End-ers" could fill me in on some more information about this area. Thanks.

When I was looking in the east end, including HCCP, I spoke with a longtime resident of HCCP about the 'hood, and asked specifically about crime associated with those apartments. The short answer is that they do create crime problems for the 'hood, espescially for the areas closer to them, and the streets which are direct routes from the apartments to major streets. It was such a problem that HCCP banded together to have the streets closed off, only to have somebody sue and get the streets re-opened.

Yeah, I noticed them too.

If you're looking right near the bend/corner of Villa de Matel St. and Brksd (??? - as abbreviated by my KeyMap), then I'd be spooked. But if you're anywhere away from that and aren't adjacent to a major thoroughfare, I wouldn't be overly concerned with crime. It isn't like this is southwest Houston.

When in doubt, use concertina wire. >:)

I have lived in HCCP for the last three years and have just loved it. The apartments doesnt bring crime into the neighberhood.The constables from precint 6 drive around HCCP and the neighbors are always alert of strangers roaming around .

I don't think the crime is bad there at all. The President of Houston Mod lives on the last street in there, Brookside, although technically his house is in Simms Woods. (north of Fair Oaks St.) I don't believe he has experienced any issues. I have a listing that is closing on Pinehurst this week. The owners there never had problems nor did the sellers of that big house I had listed on Fair Oaks. I also had a little yellow brick house on Pinehurst listed that had been vacant for months. It sat fully furnished without any issues. Constable Victor Trevino's son lives on Pinehurst also, or so I am told.

I'm sure there is some crime there, there is bound to be, and I would be concerned about being adjacent to the apartments. But overall I don't think it is a big issue.

There is one new listing in there right now on Country Club Street that is a really cool house with a semi-finished attic. I expect that one to move fast. I can't remember who has the listing. The last two listings I had in there this Fall both had multiple offers on them. So if you haven't seen that one, I would definitely check it out.

Thank you for the prompt responses. I looked at the house on Country Club Drive last week, and it is a great house; definitely has the "1940s Country Cottage" look going in full force. I did notice the house had an alarm system, and several houses on the street had burgler bars. However, the owners left the garage unlocked, full of stuff, so I was wondering if theft was a problem for the area.

When I drove around, I saw mostly older people out in their yards, but I did see some young children. How old are most of the people in the neighborhood, or is it a real mix?

Thank you for the prompt responses. I looked at the house on Country Club Drive last week, and it is a great house; definitely has the "1940s Country Cottage" look going in full force. I did notice the house had an alarm system, and several houses on the street had burgler bars. However, the owners left the garage unlocked, full of stuff, so I was wondering if theft was a problem for the area.

When I drove around, I saw mostly older people out in their yards, but I did see some young children. How old are most of the people in the neighborhood, or is it a real mix?

Its a mix.

I would say there is 50/50 mixture of new and old homeowners. As for the alarms being in the inner city is just a sense of security to have. Hccp has civic club that that is real active. We also have strong deed restriction.That was one of the main reasons i bought in Hccp.

Its a mix.

I redid a house on Pinehurst back in 03 and got to know alot about the neighborhood and neighbors.

The house across the street was purchased by a late 20's family with 2 kids. The house across the street and over 1 was owned by an older couple who had lived there ~50 years. They maintaned the house incredibly. One house next door was owned by a professor at UH and the house on the other side was owned by some semi-reclusive folks. We sold our house to a single mother with a toddler. I'd say that is just about as good of a mix as you can get.

The lady that lived at the corner of Pinehurst and Villa De Matel was in charge of the Newsletter. She was quite nice (and chatty).

We liked the house/neighborhood so much we considered moving into the house we redid.

The traffic on Wayside was ridiculous on the weekends, but overall I'd say it is a great neighborhood and an even better value.

flipper

• 2 weeks later...
When I was looking in the east end, including HCCP, I spoke with a longtime resident of HCCP about the 'hood, and asked specifically about crime associated with those apartments. The short answer is that they do create crime problems for the 'hood, espescially for the areas closer to them, and the streets which are direct routes from the apartments to major streets. It was such a problem that HCCP banded together to have the streets closed off, only to have somebody sue and get the streets re-opened.

This piece of property north of Country Club Plaza all the way back to Polk St. was at one time a large estate. This part of town was failrly desirable before the Houston Coutry Club moved to Tanglewood. There was a large colonial type home that sat back on this property with a gated entrance on Wayside. In fact, if you look closely at the entrance to the shopping center you can still spot trees and minimal landscaping that was original to the property. The place was vandalized pretty heavily by gangs from rival nighborhoods until finally in 1971 the house was burned down by arsons.

Given the location of that elementary school in the midst of those apartment complexes, one would think that there is the opportunity to form a non-profit organization and obtain government grant money to purchase the land that the apartments sit on. The apartments could then be demolished, and the site re-developed as additional playground space for the school. The plan could also tie into that creek on the north side of the neighborhood to possibly incorporate some detention ponds or flood mitigation components to reduce the risk of flooding in the area.

A similar thing was done in Braeswood about 10 years ago. Residents formed a coalition to purchase some really ratty apartments between Pershing Middle School and Mark Twain Elementary. The apartments were demolished and re-developed as sports facilities, a YMCA, and a new public library. It was a tremendous improvement for the area.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest andriasfault
Given the location of that elementary school in the midst of those apartment complexes, one would think that there is the opportunity to form a non-profit organization and obtain government grant money to purchase the land that the apartments sit on. The apartments could then be demolished, and the site re-developed as additional playground space for the school. The plan could also tie into that creek on the north side of the neighborhood to possibly incorporate some detention ponds or flood mitigation components to reduce the risk of flooding in the area.

A similar thing was done in Braeswood about 10 years ago. Residents formed a coalition to purchase some really ratty apartments between Pershing Middle School and Mark Twain Elementary. The apartments were demolished and re-developed as sports facilities, a YMCA, and a new public library. It was a tremendous improvement for the area.

The last time I checked the crime statistics they seem to be best (meaning less) in Idylwood, then in Country Club, and it gets progressively worse from there.

http://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/beatpages/eastside.htm

The last time I checked the crime statistics they seem to be best (meaning less) in Idylwood, then in Country Club, and it gets progressively worse from there.

http://www.houstontx.gov/police/cs/beatpages/eastside.htm

The nosier the neighbors, the less crime. It's always good to have someone named Mrs. Kravitz next door.

Dan,

I think I can give you some great knowledge on Country Club Place. I have lived in this area for over 35 years and have seen it go from a "Beaver Cleaver" type neigborhhood to well I guess you know what I mean. I have some best friends that have lived there since 1968 right behind the Dinner Bell restaurant. The sad part is you would be surrounded by the equivalent of East LA and the Tijuana border, no joke. There was a time when the only people walking around were elderly retired folks and maids taking babies for a stroll. I am across the street from the convent and only purchased for the location and property worth. You should have seen the place before I bought it. Long story short, when I moved in about 6 years ago my mere presence cleaned up Bonsrell street from gang members and all sorts of low lifes. The sisters from the convent actually cheered me on as I painted, built an arbor and so on. So there is a glimmer of hope for people like you. So don't give up!

And oh yes any apartments nearby are MAJOR trouble. Take the hail of gunfire & pyro-technics explosions from recent New Year's celebrations. ALL apts need to be demolished. Urban blight at its finest (or worse)

end of story.

And oh yes any apartments nearby are MAJOR trouble. Take the hail of gunfire & pyro-technics explosions from recent New Year's celebrations. ALL apts need to be demolished. Urban blight at its finest (or worse)

end of story.

Oh, that wasn't just from apartments. I was in Eastwood around midnight, and was amazed at just how easy it was to distinguish gunshots from everything else. Most of it was backyard stuff. There's a fire station at Telephone and Lockwood, and they and the police were just frantic.

• 1 year later...
LOL i looked at a couple of houses over there in the late 90's. a standard sized clothes hanger wouldn't fit in the closets

They are even like that on Sunnyland. Tiny. Meant for munchkins during the 1940's I suppose?

I had to build out big time. Even the built in garage was tiny. How in the world they ever fit a 1940's car I'll never know. Climb out of the windows?

Glad its now a room.

LOL i looked at a couple of houses over there in the late 90's. a standard sized clothes hanger wouldn't fit in the closets

They have closets? What strange new thing is this 'closets' ??

LOL, my place came with exactly one, about 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. There was another thing that was more aptly called a nook, where I've been able to put in a rod, with hangers at an angle as long as I use curtains instead of a closet door.

The good news, it has forced me to to deal with my Carrie Bradshaw-esque shoe problem.

They have closets? What strange new thing is this 'closets' ??

LOL, my place came with exactly one, about 4 feet wide and 2 feet deep. There was another thing that was more aptly called a nook, where I've been able to put in a rod, with hangers at an angle as long as I use curtains instead of a closet door.

My Eastwood holding is actually not that bad for a house that was built in 1920, or thereabouts. Two closets in the master. Another in the nursery, and one more in the secondary bedroom. All are cedar-lined and nearly three feet deep.

They certainly don't qualify as WICs (yet). That'll have to change.

My Eastwood holding is actually not that bad for a house that was built in 1920, or thereabouts. Two closets in the master. Another in the nursery, and one more in the secondary bedroom. All are cedar-lined and nearly three feet deep.

They certainly don't qualify as WICs (yet). That'll have to change.

Color me jealous. Actually there was a small closet in my master that got taken, it appears, to build out the laundry room and new back entrance. I'm stuck on what to do or if I should even worry about the closet space. For now, we have storage issues sorted, so I will leave it be. I have ample, finished attic storage with easy access, so that's a plus.

I noticed my attic was hardly ever used since 1940 and was high enough to expand. Had a closet turned into stairs to lead up then added windows and insulation and sheetrock. Now its a 3rd floor loft with views of the woods and downtown skyline. It is another world up there. Another unheard of for this area. People are so focused on whats going on ground level they forget the beauty and sereneness of being up in the sky.

This is why I urge "whomever" is designing the new club house at Gus Wortham to make it at least 3 levels high. Plus any new developers that plan to build here. When I win lotto there will be a 10-15 story townhome (with balconies in all directions) built right here... on location! Cross my heart & kiss my elbow. :)

• 1 month later...

Hello everyone, I have searched this site for info. on the house in Country Club Place that has a historical marker. I sits at 6328 Country Club Place St. Does anyone have info. on it?

FYI -This neighborhood has some beautifully restored homes from the late 1940's-early 1950's, even down to the sculpted lawns. great to see! :D There is an "interesting" contemporary house at 6315 Brookside St.

PS-Enjoyed hearing of the "Simms Estate" that previously sat on this property.Too bad the apt. traffic has to run through this neighborhood. :(

Too bad the apt. traffic has to run through this neighborhood. :(

They had to put the wall to block that traffic for good reason. A good 10 years past and then activists started with the race card excuse. It was the ongoing crime from those very apts, that simple. The wall was a nice dark reddish color and nicely designed. That was then this is now. On the happier note your right the area is a perfect setting for a 1940's film shoot and thats perfectly fine with everyone. Even the neighboring churches are rallying and helping in the effort of area restoration. Police are everywhere which acts as a repellent to anyone with "ideas". Come join us. We need more people/families like you. :D

Hello everyone, I have searched this site for info. on the house in Country Club Place that has a historical marker. I sits at 6328 Country Club Place St. Does anyone have info. on it?

Actually, the address is 6328 Brookside and the Registered Texas Historical Marker you are referring to is titled the Angelo and Lillian Minella House. This is how the inscription on the marker reads:

By 1946, Angelo and Lillian Minella had moved to Houston, where Angelo operated a plumbing and heating supply company. The couple hired architect Allen R. Williams, Jr. to design this residence, finished in 1950. It was one of several "Century Built Homes" designed by Williams, who developed a standardized, all-masonry plan used in various iterations by other Houston families. Built of concrete tiles, the home features a complex roofline, dominant brick chimney and planter boxes, and the clean, asymmetrical lines typical of mid-20th century Ranch style houses. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 2006

Archived