Park Hudson Mixed-Use Development

Scotch

Park Hudson is a mized use development on Bryan's east side and borders College Station along University Drive.

A Master Plan from about 4 years ago:

ParkHudson.jpg

This area of Bryan enjoys steady, if at times slow, growth, so I thought this thread would be useful to discuss existing and future buildings in the development. I

Okay, the residential areas are zoned to Bryan ISD schools:

* Bowen Elementary School

* Sam Rayburn Middle School

* Bryan High School

Except that one of the most heavily supported proposals (not final - there will be a town hearing tonight, in fact) changes the Middle School to Stephen F. Austin, instead of Rayburn. There's a decent chance that move would reduce property values in this area (yes, I'm annoyed, considering one of the reasons I have stayed in Tiffany Park was because of the particular schools)...

When I went to Rayburn way back when, It wasnt much better than SFA. The quality and student body of Rayburn has gone way down hill since the early 90's. At this point, there isnt much difference between the two. Excluding physical age and location.

Park Hudson is an example of what can happen when local developers partner with the city of Bryan to make a big change. I live in Copperfield and work in Park Hudson. Most people who come to my home and part of town for the first time are amazed at the growth in southeast Bryan. Its really unfortunate that the majority of the residents of this area aren't even aware of what can be found east of Highway 6.

I know the SFA attendance zone idea mentioned in an earlier post was orginally on the drawing board. However, I don't believe it has made it to the final list of options as can be seen here: BISD Proposed Attendance Zones

Lastly, from what I've heard First National Bank has scrapped their plans for a new central location for now. It seems they're planning to build a new branch in far southern Brazos County and begin expanding into the far northern suburbs of Houston in the near future. My guess is they've decided to spend their capital elsewhere for now. Plus, the major increases in construction costs over the past couple of years had already forced the bank to scale back their plans on more than one occassion.

I think and hope that within a couple of years the area encompassed by Park Hudson will really take off.

I know the SFA attendance zone idea mentioned in an earlier post was orginally on the drawing board. However, I don't believe it has made it to the final list of options as can be seen here: BISD Proposed Attendance Zones

No, the SFA option is in the final list of options - it's option 3-A2 in the link you mention (notice how the Bowen school district - everything between 6, 158, and University is in SFA's region, there). There was a school board meeting last night (which I attended, in fact) to get input about it. But, the board is not tied to any of the particular proposals - they could adopt something totally different.

I should probably put this in the other thread about the schools, but I think this could have an impact on development in SE Bryan. One of the things that has been a selling point about this region of Bryan has been that it has good schools. For those moving to this area, it has been the part of Bryan that you could make a case for being comparable to College Station in terms of schools. Personally, I think that redistricting proposal (3A2) would hurt development in that region, in that it would tend to "weaken" Rayburn and move some of the students in that region to a weaker school, and could thus lower property values.

For the Park Hudson area in particular, it might not affect new development too much. The region is basically already built out as far as residential construction, and it's not like a change in schools will affect the business development much. But, I do expect it could affect development in other Southeast regions.

Regarding the comment about SFA and Rayburn being basically the same - I think this is clearly not the case: SFA was ranked Academically Unacceptable by the TEA this year (as was Jane Long). Seethis article.

Park Hudson is an example of what can happen when local developers partner with the city of Bryan to make a big change. I live in Copperfield and work in Park Hudson. Most people who come to my home and part of town for the first time are amazed at the growth in southeast Bryan. Its really unfortunate that the majority of the residents of this area aren't even aware of what can be found east of Highway 6.

Lastly, from what I've heard First National Bank has scrapped their plans for a new central location for now. It seems they're planning to build a new branch in far southern Brazos County and begin expanding into the far northern suburbs of Houston in the near future. My guess is they've decided to spend their capital elsewhere for now. Plus, the major increases in construction costs over the past couple of years had already forced the bank to scale back their plans on more than one occassion.

I think and hope that within a couple of years the area encompassed by Park Hudson will really take off.

Has anyone else noticed since First American Bank left, all of these other local banks are moving in and trying to become what First American was. No local bank was expanding when they were here. Now you see them poping up everywhere, many building headquarters in College Station. Bank of Snook, Brenham bank, Brazos Valley Bank etc.

No, the SFA option is in the final list of options - it's option 3-A2 in the link you mention (notice how the Bowen school district - everything between 6, 158, and University is in SFA's region, there). There was a school board meeting last night (which I attended, in fact) to get input about it. But, the board is not tied to any of the particular proposals - they could adopt something totally different.

I should probably put this in the other thread about the schools, but I think this could have an impact on development in SE Bryan. One of the things that has been a selling point about this region of Bryan has been that it has good schools. For those moving to this area, it has been the part of Bryan that you could make a case for being comparable to College Station in terms of schools. Personally, I think that redistricting proposal (3A2) would hurt development in that region, in that it would tend to "weaken" Rayburn and move some of the students in that region to a weaker school, and could thus lower property values.

For the Park Hudson area in particular, it might not affect new development too much. The region is basically already built out as far as residential construction, and it's not like a change in schools will affect the business development much. But, I do expect it could affect development in other Southeast regions.

Regarding the comment about SFA and Rayburn being basically the same - I think this is clearly not the case: SFA was ranked Academically Unacceptable by the TEA this year (as was Jane Long). Seethis article.

Yes, I read The Eagle's article about the meeting today and realized I was wrong. I too disagree with this plan. Other than the reasons you mentioned above it seems ridiculous for kids in southeast Bryan and those in College Station along Hwy 30 to have to drive all the way to central Bryan to attend middle school. I know they're trying to balance socioeconomic levels but my hope is that they choose the plan that leaves these kids in the Sam Rayburn district...that only makes sense. Wasn't a BISD middle school in the original plans for Park Hudson?

When I went to Rayburn way back when, It wasnt much better than SFA. The quality and student body of Rayburn has gone way down hill since the early 90's. At this point, there isnt much difference between the two. Excluding physical age and location.

When I left Jane Long and attended Bryan High, I noticed that the Rayburn kids were pretty smart. I don't think Rayburn has change that much, but SFA and Long has. They were both bad in the 90's and now are a little better.

Yes, I read The Eagle's article about the meeting today and realized I was wrong. I too disagree with this plan. Other than the reasons you mentioned above it seems ridiculous for kids in southeast Bryan and those in College Station along Hwy 30 to have to drive all the way to central Bryan to attend middle school. I know they're trying to balance socioeconomic levels but my hope is that they choose the plan that leaves these kids in the Sam Rayburn district...that only makes sense. Wasn't a BISD middle school in the original plans for Park Hudson?
Yes, but I think the Davila site won out. Park Hudson Education Development Plan from a few years back shows the school site. Hopefully, this site or another location even more to the east becomes the site of the 5th middle school.

That's too bad about First National Bank not building a substantial central building in Park Hudson, will they end up building just a convenience sized bank there?

As far as the upscale restaurant on the C.S. side, would that be a relocation or a new business?

When I left Jane Long and attended Bryan High, I noticed that the Rayburn kids were pretty smart. I don't think Rayburn has change that much, but SFA and Long has. They were both bad in the 90's and now are a little better.

When did you graduate from Bryan High?

• The title was changed to Park Hudson Mixed-Use Development

Archived