Sign in to follow this  
Guest Marty

Gone Dancing

Guest Marty

When i was a very young buck i like dancing so bad i would use my friends ( Over 21 ) I.D. to get in or have my buds knock open the back door and dance the night away and party. ;) share your late 1980's clubing experience like were you went.

Edited by Marty

Emo's, Some, NRG, Decadance(Clubland), Rich's and VERY RARELY Lizard Lounge or 6400. I did go to Hippo (the old 6400) a few times when I was underage.

I met a waitress at Hippo when I was 18 and new in town. My girlfriend, who moved here with me had gotten cold feet and moved back home for the holidays. I went to Hippo to drown my sorrows and ended up chatting up a really good looking waitress who invited me to their Christmas party. Open bar -- employees and guests only -- good time. I made out with the waitress all night. Didn't close, though. Never saw her again after. Sorrows were drowned, though.

Edited by dalparadise

I've heard the original Lizard Lounge in Houston which is not in existence anymore was owned by the same owner that has the popular Lizard Lounge club in Dallas which is very well known for its Electronic Dance Music & Goth/Industrial crowds. Next month will be Lizard Lounge Dallas' 15th year anniversary (almost an eternity in club years)

Edited by Metro Matt

Guest Marty

The Lizard Lounge is exactly what you descibed Metro Matt. I will call my bud Flash Gordon about Club 6400 but i think you are correct Lowbrow i will find out tomorrow.

Edited by Marty

Lizard Lounge (in both cities) is/was weak. It was for the X and Capri Cigs smoking crowd. Cheesedicks.

Maybe the Dallas one has become a bit darker since I was there.

And LOL at 6400! Although you have to give them credit for the 104 broadcasts.

Lizard Lounge (in both cities) is/was weak. It was for the X and Capri Cigs smoking crowd. Cheesedicks.

OMG seriously! :lol:

I was 17 in '87 so it was hard to get into some places, but for the most part, I could do it. It was a big deal to go "into Houston" from Kingwood. It was awesome!

I liked 6400 early on, but ick to later. I liked Xcess better. NRG had the best music, IMHO. Numbers sorta scared me, but I guess that's why I liked it so much. I saw Nine Inch Nails there with the Jim Rose Side Show in 1987 (I think it was '87). I almost got trampled!! :blink:

Clubland, if I could get in, definitely. Decadance was harder to get into for some reason. I guess the bouncers were getting into trouble letting us in. I went to the Ocean Club ONE time. That was all that was needed.

I remember Red Square, Club Some and Power Tools. Gads, the names of these places! :lol:

Mid to late '90s I was going to Rich's all the time. Heaven, JR's, and Pacific Street too. I was a huge hag and we had quite an entourage. Lots of drinks, lots of other things. Not much to be proud of, but it was fun!

Edited by Parrothead

My clubs in order:

PowerTools (Friday only)

Numbers (Saturdays)

Homage

Cabaret Voltiare/Kattlehuck

I can't believe I forgot Power Tools and Catayl Hyuk...I can't spell it either.

Guest Marty
Decadance was harder to get into for some reason. I guess the bouncers were getting into trouble letting us in.

I tried to get into Decadance three times to no avail. At first they were lax but they got in trouble and it was zero tolerance from then on.

Rich's

Dal, I didn't know you where a techno queen? :lol:

I sometimes go to classic numbers night, occasionally in short shorts & tube socks. (Takin' it back to 74, Oh yeah!!)

I liked 6400 early on, but ick to later. I liked Xcess better. NRG had the best music, IMHO. Numbers sorta scared me, but I guess that's why I liked it so much. I saw Nine Inch Nails there with the Jim Rose Side Show in 1987 (I think it was '87). I almost got trampled!! :blink:

Parrothead, do you remember the big glass bowl full of "X" at the door of Xcess when you walked in ? They were FREE ! Big 'ol Chocolate Chip wafers, not the little pills that they became after "X" became illegal.

I could tell about many a night of "drug induced" goodtimes in this town from 1987 to 1999 when I worked on and off in the clubs as a Bouncer, as a Bartender, as a Manager, but that was in a former life, and I am saving it all for my book.

TJ, YES! I never did it (not then, anyway LOL), but I do remember the months leading up to the law change, what a weird time that was at that club.

I bet we knew each other in our former lives :lol:

Guest Marty

I remember my friends talking about the cookies at Xcess, but i didn't do X, I was always on that Rum. :wacko:

Edited by Marty

Didn't the original 6400 burn down?

Yes it did.

Maybe the Dallas one has become a bit darker since I was there.

And LOL at 6400! Although you have to give them credit for the 104 broadcasts.

It wasn't on 104 goober it was 93Q.

So when did 93Q go Country? I could have sworn 104 took over after that.

Hard to belive they still have the Q Morning Zoo. They should name it the Q Morning Barn.

Ah-a-Tookie, tookie!

So when did 93Q go Country? I could have sworn 104 took over after that.

Hard to belive they still have the Q Morning Zoo. They should name it the Q Morning Barn.

Ah-a-Tookie, tookie!

93Q went country in 1991. 6400 was on from May 1988 to September 1989. 104 had The Saturday Night Power Mix Live from The Ocean Club.

You sure your not thinking of when 93Q took over the Decadance broadcast when 96.5 became Mix?

I cant believe they brought the Q-Zoo title back. Its been back for a couple of years but it still sounds wierd when I hear them say it. The morning barn is more fitting. I like that.

Edited by djrage

You sure your not thinking of when 93Q took over the Decadance broadcast when 96.5 became Mix?

Too many green wafers to say for sure.

I do, however, still have all that music on vinyl!

Too many green wafers to say for sure.

I do, however, still have all that music on vinyl!

Oh yeah me too. Never get tired of throwing down some 80s dance mixes on the turntables.

I still have most of the tapes I recorded from the broadcasts.

I wish I still had the tapes. I may have one left.

My buddy finally burned a tape to CD from Power Tools. It was from 1998 when Wax Traxx was all the rage.

You should convert those tapes!

I wish I still had the tapes. I may have one left.

My buddy finally burned a tape to CD from Power Tools. It was from 1998 when Wax Traxx was all the rage.

You should convert those tapes!

Already working on that. Those tapes are almost 20 years old and I discovered one last night thats no longer playable :( . So I'm taking measures to preserve them now. I've been converting them to mp3 (128k) to fit one broadcast on one disc.

X-Lapse.

Y'all are bringing me back. Loved NRG, Homage/Red Square, Numbers, Power Tools, and Rich's.

Never got too into EMOS/SOME but that might have had to do with the fact my boyfriend, sister, and I had a knife pulled on us on the dance floor. Not a good high!

Now, to tell you a story that you can make fun of me forever with, one night we went out to NRG. We were all buggin' and feelin' no pain but half our crowd didn't get in (bad fakes). We were desperate to find somewhere to go dance and ended up at some 18 plus club called Club Soda out on Westheimer. Anyone remember that cheese ball factory? :)

The old record rack on Shepherd/Alabama used to have great cds from the clubs. They had some original NRG music. I miss that place. If you like that music, check out www.razormaid.com

X-Lapse.

Y'all are bringing me back. Loved NRG, Homage/Red Square, Numbers, Power Tools, and Rich's.

Never got too into EMOS/SOME but that might have had to do with the fact my boyfriend, sister, and I had a knife pulled on us on the dance floor. Not a good high!

Now, to tell you a story that you can make fun of me forever with, one night we went out to NRG. We were all buggin' and feelin' no pain but half our crowd didn't get in (bad fakes). We were desperate to find somewhere to go dance and ended up at some 18 plus club called Club Soda out on Westheimer. Anyone remember that cheese ball factory? :)

The old record rack on Shepherd/Alabama used to have great cds from the clubs. They had some original NRG music. I miss that place. If you like that music, check out www.razormaid.com

Gosh, I remember all those clubs very well. But first we would stop at La Carafe and have Purple Woo Woos. I was 16/17 and have no clue why I was served them or how I got into those clubs. I might even seen Parrot there!

I did X once and got the massive shivers.......ick. That was enough for me to never do a drug ever again.

Ah the days of Depeche Mode and "Taking a Ride" with my "Own Personal Jesus"

Edited by KatieDidIt

i didn't realize power tools was still open in 98. by then they had already bulldozed the back portion. in 87 or 88 i remember the only part that was outside was under franklin the rest was enclosed. i remember there was a couple dressed like tweedle dee and tweedle dum and they pulled us into the restroom so we could help them exchange wigs. LOL

Power Tools - that was a funny place. ^_^

Does anyone remember a club on Main almost under the elevated section of 59? It was close to where Wendys is now I think. It was a slam-dance kind of place. I'm pretty sure that was the location, but my memory may be fuzzy on it. :blush:

Anybody want to trade 80s dance music?

I was big into the PIAS, ZYX, Zoth Ommog, WaxTrax lables. I also have a good chunk of Razormaid remixes.

Does anyone remember a club on Main almost under the elevated section of 59? It was close to where Wendys is now I think. It was a slam-dance kind of place. I'm pretty sure that was the location, but my memory may be fuzzy on it. :blush:

The Island (aka Rock Island)? That was THE place for punk in Houston back in the day. I was trying to find a photo of it online, but struck out just now with Google.

Power Tools - that was a funny place. ^_^

Yeah, Rock Island was at 4700 Main. I didn't ever go there (too young, I'm guessing), but did make it a couple of times to the last of the three incarnations of Cabaret Voltaire, another good punk club, right before it closed (they were probably letting anyone in at that point). There's a lot of good information/photos/flyers at Houston Punk Archives. I gathered a bunch of information about 80's clubs in Houston once a while ago, in a fit of nostalgia, and will see if I can find it. Those were fun days (nights).

Looks like I didn't get too far in my '80's club list before I got distracted looking at old flyers. But here are some from my list:

6400 - ~1987-89 - 6400 Richmond

The Agora - ~1985 - Windsor Plaza

Apocalypse Monster Club (AMC) - ~1987 - Near Ellington Field

Beejay's - 1984-86

Cabaret Voltaire I - ~1984 - 22 N. Chenevert

Cabaret Voltaire II - 1985-86

Cabaret Voltaire III - 1986 - 2524 McKinney - I think the space became the Axiom, then Catal Huyuk (93-94), then Harvey's

Caribana

Confetti

International Club - 200 block Westheimer - Black Flag played there in 1985

Maceba Theater - Husker Du, Butthole Surfers, New Order

NRG - ~1986-88

The Ocean Club

Omni - ~1982 - 1540 Westheimer - D.R.I. played there

Paragon

Phideaux - 5735 Westheimer - Husker Du played there in 1986

Power Tools - Franklin

Red Square

Rock Island - 4700 Main - Known as Paradise Island before it became Rock Island - Black Flag and the Dead Kennedys played there

Therapy

Visions - 1986-88

Xcess - 1988-89 - 5134 Richmond

I didn't get to go to most of these - I was lucky if I got to go to an all-ages show at Numbers. Thought others might remember some of them, though. The Maceba Theater sounded especially interesting from what little I read about it. There seemed to be confusion about where NRG was located.

Looks like I didn't get too far in my '80's club list before I got distracted looking at old flyers. But here are some from my list:

6400 - ~1987-89 - 6400 Richmond

The Agora - ~1985 - Windsor Plaza

Apocalypse Monster Club (AMC) - ~1987 - Near Ellington Field

Beejay's - 1984-86

Cabaret Voltaire I - ~1984 - 22 N. Chenevert

Cabaret Voltaire II - 1985-86

Cabaret Voltaire III - 1986 - 2524 McKinney - I think the space became the Axiom, then Catal Huyuk (93-94), then Harvey's

Caribana

Confetti

International Club - 200 block Westheimer - Black Flag played there in 1985

Maceba Theater - Husker Du, Butthole Surfers, New Order

NRG - ~1986-88

The Ocean Club

Omni - ~1982 - 1540 Westheimer - D.R.I. played there

Paragon

Phideaux - 5735 Westheimer - Husker Du played there in 1986

Power Tools - Franklin

Red Square

Rock Island - 4700 Main - Known as Paradise Island before it became Rock Island - Black Flag and the Dead Kennedys played there

Therapy

Visions - 1986-88

Xcess - 1988-89 - 5134 Richmond

I didn't get to go to most of these - I was lucky if I got to go to an all-ages show at Numbers. Thought others might remember some of them, though. The Maceba Theater sounded especially interesting from what little I read about it. There seemed to be confusion about where NRG was located.

6400 was 1988-1989

Ocean Club was 1985-1990.

NRG was on N. Shepherd in the Kroger shopping center.

My 80s club experience

First club was Visions on Fondren only went once in 1986.

Numbers a few times starting in 86 also. I saw the Kraftwerk Music Non Stop video... freaked me out, it was the wierdest thing I ever saw. Saw Book of Love that night.

NRG also in 86 once. Very vague memory

Club 6400 late 88. I was there a couple of days before it burned down.

Netwerk, galleria location in 1989.

Im sure there are more just not thinking of it right now

Does ANYONE have pictures from 6400? Inside or out. I cant find anything online

Edited by djrage

Caribana

Oh yeah, the late, lamented Caribana. It almost seems unreal now to think that at one time there was a reggae club smack dab in the middle of Rice Boulevard. Before Texas outlawed multiple-drink specials, they had insanely popular happy hours at which 3-for-1 well drinks were the order of the day, for the ridiculously low price of $2.50. If you were an impoverished college student, you could head down there with five bucks in your pocket on Friday afternoon, and get hammered in no time. :P

Another punk club to add to the list: the Consolidated Arts Warehouse, which stood where Chelsea Market is now on Montrose at 59. As its name suggests, it wasn't exclusively a music venue, but they hosted some great shows before the building burned down in, I think, 1983 or 1984 under vaguely suspicious circumstances. Within sight of it, under the lengthy portion of 59 that used to be elevated, was one of the more memorable pieces of Houston public art, Paul Kittleson's life-sized stegosaurus made of foam, rubber, and various other found materials. It lasted a while longer than the Warehouse, but I can't remember what happened to it, other than it was eventually removed from the site.

The Island (aka Rock Island)? That was THE place for punk in Houston back in the day. I was trying to find a photo of it online, but struck out just now with Google.

That would have been it then, thanks!

Lol reading that list. Confetti and Ocean Club. Windsor Plaza was nothing but clubs. I remember having to park blocks away to get there.

A friend remembered the name of the place at Windsor Plaza I was trying to remember: Cooters. It was huge, but kind of scuzzy.

Anyone ever go to Boardwalk Beach Club on Washington? For a while they put sand on the floor for the complete beach experience. :D

Another club we couldn't remember the name of was in the strip center at the southwest corner of Chimney Rock and Westheimer. I believe it had a rep as a place for the suburban kids when they drove into the city.

Confetti, Cooters, Boardwalk...did 'em all. My favorite club of all time was the Caribana, though. I tended bar at Dan & Nick's Sportsmarket, where Buffalo Wild Wings is now. We would walk over to the bana for the 3 for 1s. Total buzz for about 5 bucks. Great reggae bands, too. Sometimes we'd be the only white guys in the place, but no one cared. It was more of an international crowd.

In 1986, their lease ran out and they got kicked out. They moved to Earl Campbell's old place over off of 59. A couple of my cooks and I went to check it out. The Jamaican drug dealers had taken it over. I was having a drink and chillin when my buds rushed up and said we had to go. They overheard the drug dealers talking and they thought I was 5-0. It was about to get REAL ugly. These dudes were scared to death...and they were tough guys...one from Harlem, and the other from the Bronx...but they wanted nothing to do with the drug dealers. They thought I was about to die. As we left, we saw that the convenience store next door had been robbed and cops were everywhere. Last time I ever went to the bana. I've never been more disappointed.

Edited by RedScare

I still remember the Chronicle when they last night X was legal.

They had a full color story about Cooters.

But Cooters was a little before my time.

Just saw Kinkaid's post about Club Soda. LMAO. That place was a total cheese factory. I still have a t-shirt from there from 1986 when KLOL did a party trying to get David Letterman to visit Houston and do a show here.

Here's a pic...

P4140029.jpg