scary new changes in the earth's eco-system

houstonmacbro

Climate scientists feeling the heat

As public debate deals in absolutes, some experts fear predictions 'have created a monster'

By ERIC BERGER

Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

Scientists long have issued the warnings: The modern world's appetite for cars, air conditioning and cheap, fossil-fuel energy spews billions of tons of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere, unnaturally warming the world.

Yet, it took the dramatic images of a hurricane overtaking New Orleans and searing heat last summer to finally trigger widespread public concern on the issue of global warming.

Climate scientists might be expected to bask in the spotlight after their decades of toil. The general public now cares about greenhouse gases, and with a new Democratic-led Congress, federal action on climate change may be at hand.

Problem is, global warming may not have caused Hurricane Katrina, and last summer's heat waves were equaled and, in many cases, surpassed by heat in the 1930s.

In their efforts to capture the public's attention, then, have climate scientists oversold global warming? It's probably not a majority view, but a few climate scientists are beginning to question whether some dire predictions push the science too far.

Full article here: http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4487421.html

• Replies 524
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Houston, your last attempt to prove a point with pasting that article is flawed. New Orleans wasn't overtaken by a hurricane, it was overtaken by a faulty "manmade" levee that hadn't been kept up over the years. Katrina was a category 3 hurricane at best, and if the "manmade" levee would have held, we wouldn't even be talking about this.

As far as seering heat last summer, we actually had a pretty mild summer here in Houston, and where were all those hurricanes that were predicted by these scientists that said 2006 was gonna be twice as bad as 2005 ?

Your right, I misinterpreted the article, I misread a section there. I'll retract, a bit. It is stuff like New Orleans suffered from a Hurricane caused by Global Warming that just cracks me up, when in fact some people know the real deal, and the mainstream media just won't put that light on it.

If we don't help New Orleans, then I sure as hell hope my tax dollars have re-built Los Angeles and San Francisco for the last time.

CDeb, there is $600 million just sitting there. Nagin won't claim it for some odd reason, but I hear that Con. William Jefferson has his eye on it and has just bought a NEW double door freezer. ;)

If we don't help New Orleans, then I sure as hell hope my tax dollars have re-built Los Angeles and San Francisco for the last time.
That's fine with me, too. Ma Nature can have that whole State as far as I'm concerned.

Okay, let's see what's been happening this week ... oh yeah, right.

Severe Storms Smash Florida, Killing 19

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2007/02/02/D8N1QPR02.html

oh yeah, and this...

Global warming probably caused by human activity, U.N. report says

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/climate/20...ge_x.htm?csp=34

oh yeah, and one more (not really a scary new earth change, but scary nevertheless)

Perry orders anti-cancer vaccine for [6th grade] schoolgirls

http://chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4521884.html

Oh yeah, here is one more ... poor polar bears... Let's just tell them global warming isn't real.

[sarcasm]Oh, no! The poor polar bears! Without them....well I just couldn't stand to live. It would be such a hollow existence. Why, I'd just be so torn apart by the lack of polar bears that I'd...well I just don't know what I'd do. Probably just keel over and die. I'm sure most civilized people would as well...except for those dastardly heartless evil scumbags that call themselves skeptics. They probably wouldn't even wince at the thought...the bastards![/sarcasm]

Oh yeah, here is one more ... poor polar bears... Let's just tell them global warming isn't real.

polarbrsDM010207_468x762.jpg

So the guy that took the picture was on a ship, or was he standing on the rest of the ice that connected to that piece the bears are standing on ? Gimme a break ? :rolleyes:

As far as what happened in Florida yesterday morning, DO YOU EVEN READ WHAT YOU POST, or do you just go by the headlines ? Heavy storms in Florida in February are nothing out of the ordinary. Talk to me at the end of February, and if the totals are more than that of what happened there in 1998, then tell me it is global warming, until then, go get some real evidence will you ?

So I think somewhere back in this thread I mentioned that when these 'scary new changes' kick into high gear there are gonna be major relocations of people.

340,000 people is more people than many good-sized cities.

340,000 flee flooded Indonesia capital

By IRWAN FIRDAUS, Associated Press Writer Sun Feb 4, 4:40 PM ET

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Boats ferried supplies to desperate residents of Indonesia's flood-stricken capital on Sunday as rivers burst their banks following days of rain. At least 20 people have been killed and almost 340,000 forced from their homes, officials said.

Hundreds of people scrambled to the second floors of their houses to escape the rising waters. Some found themselves trapped, while others refused to leave despite warnings that the muddy flood waters

So I think somewhere back in this thread I mentioned that when these 'scary new changes' kick into high gear there are gonna be major relocations of people.

340,000 people is more people than many good-sized cities.

340,000 flee flooded Indonesia capital

By IRWAN FIRDAUS, Associated Press Writer Sun Feb 4, 4:40 PM ET

JAKARTA, Indonesia - Boats ferried supplies to desperate residents of Indonesia's flood-stricken capital on Sunday as rivers burst their banks following days of rain. At least 20 people have been killed and almost 340,000 forced from their homes, officials said.

Hundreds of people scrambled to the second floors of their houses to escape the rising waters. Some found themselves trapped, while others refused to leave despite warnings that the muddy flood waters

Headlines in today's Houston Chronicle:Exxon Mobile has no more doubts on warming

"Big Oil behemoth Exxon Mobil Corp. has dropped any pretense of questioning whether global warming is real. Now the company is seeking to position itself as an active player in efforts to lower greenhouse gases."

The evidence seems compelling.

Headlines in today's Houston Chronicle:Exxon Mobile has no more doubts on warming

"Big Oil behemoth Exxon Mobil Corp. has dropped any pretense of questioning whether global warming is real. Now the company is seeking to position itself as an active player in efforts to lower greenhouse gases."

The evidence seems compelling.

Bunch of liberal tree huggers over there on Bell Street.

Yep, Global Warming is just about on us. :rolleyes::lol: Tell it to these folks in New York will ya.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles...state_new_york/

Knowing the difference between "weather" and "climate" might help you make a better "climate change" argument.

BTW, it might interest you to know that the reason upstate New York is getting pummelled by 8 feet of snow is that due to the unseasonably warm winter that the Northeast has experienced this year, the Great Lakes have not yet frozen....exposing the warm lake water to the cold Canadian air....producing large amounts of lake effect snow. So, your comment may in fact be an example of global warming....just as global warming in Texas may cause droughts AND floods.

Archived