METRO Transit Center- Wheeler Station

Does anybody know why the US59 Southbound onramp that leads directly from Wheeler Station is still closed? This fast way to get on US59 southbound was open only a couple weeks nearly 5 months ago and hasn't been re-opened since. Right now, all the Metro buses have to go up to Richmond, and go under the Spur and then on to it's US59 soutbound on-ramp, but it would be MUCH easier and faster to get on directly from Wheeler Station. Any clues anyone?

Kevin

Does anybody know why the US59 Southbound onramp that leads directly from Wheeler Station is still closed? This fast way to get on US59 southbound was open only a couple weeks nearly 5 months ago and hasn't been re-opened since. Right now, all the Metro buses have to go up to Richmond, and go under the Spur and then on to it's US59 soutbound on-ramp, but it would be MUCH easier and faster to get on directly from Wheeler Station. Any clues anyone?

Kevin

I think this is the one that was closed shortly after completion due to safety concerns.

I think this is the one that was closed shortly after completion due to safety concerns.

The wierd thing is the fact that the onramp is the exactly the same as it was before the construction. I guess it was that people didn't get used to the onramp again.

The wierd thing is the fact that the onramp is the exactly the same as it was before the construction. I guess it was that people didn't get used to the onramp again.

But are the visibility conditions the same? I seem to remember that those were the bulk of the safety complaints: a new concrete barrier blocking the visibility of drivers trying to merge.

Of course, I could be confusing this with something else. :wacko:

But are the visibility conditions the same? I seem to remember that those were the bulk of the safety complaints: a new concrete barrier blocking the visibility of drivers trying to merge.

Of course, I could be confusing this with something else. :wacko:

no confusion. and there wasn't a good merge lane either.

How the heck does this happen? Its the freaking 21st Century and traffic engineers aren't smart enough to design competent roads? I mean did they not do models before they built that thing? How can sight lines be so messed up?

How the heck does this happen? Its the freaking 21st Century and traffic engineers aren't smart enough to design competent roads? I mean did they not do models before they built that thing? How can sight lines be so messed up?

lack of common sense.

If you are a civil engineer in Texas, would you rather 1) make $140,000/yr working on the design of refineries, rigs and chem plants, 2) make $100,000/yr working on office buildings, or 3) make $65,000/yr designing freeways for the state government.

Something tells me that the smartest engineers don't choose option 3.

• The title was changed to METRO Transit Center- Wheeler Station

Archived