8439 GLENCREST ST

missjanel

It often comes down to the quality of the schools... at least for families. For that matter, anyone purchasing this home without children needs to carefully consider who may want this property once it's listed after improvements -- again, tieing into the schools.

80K for 2000 s.f. ought to send up a flag of caution. I don't know anything about the area but that price seems low. Also, if it is in a floodplain it should be avoided at all costs. I should know having once had 4'-0" of water in my "100 year floodplain" townhome -- since sold (amazingly).

The house itself has a certain appeal but the garage does seem a bit "agressive". Backdating? Maybe... but would one ever re-coup their investment?

It often comes down to the quality of the schools... at least for families. For that matter, anyone purchasing this home without children needs to carefully consider who may want this property once it's listed after improvements -- again, tieing into the schools.

80K for 2000 s.f. ought to send up a flag of caution. I don't know anything about the area but that price seems low. Also, if it is in a floodplain it should be avoided at all costs. I should know having once had 4'-0" of water in my "100 year floodplain" townhome -- since sold (amazingly).

The house itself has a certain appeal but the garage does seem a bit "aggressive". Backdating? Maybe... but would one ever re-coup their investment?

This is a fallacy. The home is already priced based upon the market of those people seeking homes in neighborhoods with crummy schools. If you don't have kids, then don't pay for something you aren't going to use. When it comes time to sell, you'll just continue to discount...but you got it for a discount. Hence, no loss. In fact, because there isn't much for the schools to do but get better, there's upside potential.

"This is a fallacy. The home is already priced based upon the market of those people seeking homes in neighborhoods with crummy schools. If you don't have kids, then don't pay for something you aren't going to use. When it comes time to sell, you'll just continue to discount...but you got it for a discount. Hence, no loss. In fact, because there isn't much for the schools to do but get better, there's upside potential."

I was speaking in general terms -- and perhaps I was stating the obvious. Take "The Heights" for example, while there are appealing (not to me) neighborhoods in "The Heights", for the most part the schools leave something to be desired (it all depends on what you value in this regard).

I think the strategy of home buying is to have your investment gain in value -- though this investment is not as rock solid as it once was. So I'm not sure that you would want "to discount" because of the neighborhood, school district, etc. once you've dumpted money into your investment.

All I'm suggesting is that one has to go into these things with open eyes... not just a desire to own a MCM.

Call me a naysayer.

"This is a fallacy. The home is already priced based upon the market of those people seeking homes in neighborhoods with crummy schools. If you don't have kids, then don't pay for something you aren't going to use. When it comes time to sell, you'll just continue to discount...but you got it for a discount. Hence, no loss. In fact, because there isn't much for the schools to do but get better, there's upside potential."

I was speaking in general terms -- and perhaps I was stating the obvious. Take "The Heights" for example, while there are appealing (not to me) neighborhoods in "The Heights", for the most part the schools leave something to be desired (it all depends on what you value in this regard).

I think the strategy of home buying is to have your investment gain in value -- though this investment is not as rock solid as it once was. So I'm not sure that you would want "to discount" because of the neighborhood, school district, etc. once you've dumpted money into your investment.

All I'm suggesting is that one has to go into these things with open eyes... not just a desire to own a MCM.

Call me a naysayer.

There is a big difference in the palettes of people with suburban tastes and more urban ones. Good public schools always seem to top the list for those with more suburban tastes, while homes with a certain degree of character close in seem to top the list for more urban buyers. Many families send their kids to St. Michael's private school in the area, which is supposedly very affordable.

While there is a limited audience for a home like this, there is an audience nonethless and one that is growing. It is close in enough to appeal to a more urban audience. I don't see it appealing to someone who generally has more suburban tastes. So the appeal will depend upon who you talk to.

Starting out at a price below market, one where you could put a minimal down payment and easily cover the note with the rent, makes it a financially attractive place. The next cheapest house that is available in the subdivision in $109,900. With appreciation there from 04 - 05 that was 3 times the city average for that period, there is more evidence that makes it look like this one is going to make somebody some money.

About the schools... I know that Ortiz and Chavez are brand-new facilities, but I'm not sure about the educational quality. One of my classmates said that he liked Ortiz.

At any rate, if you do not like the public schools in the area, you can send your kids to an HISD magnet program or to a private school.

Wow! My only concern would be the condition at that price. That is a very reasonable price for a 2000 square foot house on a 10,000 sq. ft. lot with that much Mid Century mod style and curb appeal. AND, its in Glenbrook Valley.

My wife and I have only lived in Glenbrook for less than a year, but we are sold on the neighborhood. We are involved in an ongoing restoration of the house we bought. However, we consider every penny spent as a good investment and are in it for the long haul.

There are enough modern homes in Glenbrook for the Houston Mod community to settle in to it and make this quite an exciting enclave of restored MCM homes. In my opinion, as a generalization, this neighborhood is THE magic combination of quality larger houses (many in the mid century modern style), large lots, strong deed restrictions/civic club, close proximity to downtown/universities/medical center/museums AND low prices!!!

People interested in owning and/or restoring a modern house will be happy to find that many Glenbrook homes have not been remodeled over and over again. Much of the southeast side of town, where Glenbrook is situated has sat somewhat undisturbed since the 1950s. Houston

ACK ! I am getting woozie just looking at that color.

hr1807342-3.jpg

Isn't that Sea Foam Green? Looks like original fixtures at least. It has historic value but the late 50s-early 60s were a little off on color coordination. I once lived in a 1960 apartment with pink, green and black tile in the bathroom. I grew to love it.

Geez, you'd think they'd clean the toilet scum before the sale. I wonder what's up repair-wise with it. HCAD says the slab was repaired. I'm guessing the roof, plumbing, electrical need attention, maybe termite damage too.

I like the design. If I were looking, I'd be all over it.

Not surprised at all to hear about the contract. I didn't expect it would last until next week for missjane1 to get around to seeing it. I hope someone who appreciates modern design made a swift move on the property, but at that super low price any type of buyer might have been motivated.

While some potential buyers are taking their time being troubled over the problems that Glenbrook has, the neighbor hood will continue to change. Right now the problem certainly isn't the price, but give it a little time. All this is pretty predictable. Now while risks are higher, prices are lower. As the neighborhood becomes more "blue chip" over the next few years, the prices will catch up. Buying in Glenbrook now isn't for everyone, but I think the risks are lower and benefits higher than some might think.

I didn't expect it would last until next week for missjane1 to get around to seeing it.

Actually I did find time to get over that way. It was in my opinion a very good deal for someone looking to purchase their first MCM home. The backyard was amazing, even backing the drainage ditch. I was not entirely crazy about the layout. The bedrooms were small and the closets were even smaller. The bulk of the square footage was a bonus room in the back that didn't look original to the house. It was ackward getting to it through the dining room. Also the living room had low ceilings which I'm not fond of.

But for the record not everyone has kids, wants kids or even cares about school districts. Even young couples who may want kids in the future could live there for 3-5 years and then move into a neighborhood with better zoning. I would much rather live in a mod house in Glenbrook than an apartment in some of the better neighborhoods around town. First time homebuyers are not likely to be able to afford to move into a mod in one of the most desirable neighborhoods. Finding any affordable housing in any style is tough these days. We are currently zoned to Bellaire schools (and want kids someday) but I'm not too good to live in Glenbrook Valley.

I hope someone gets it and is able to bring it back. It certainly had something to work with.

Actually I did find time to get over that way. It was in my opinion a very good deal for someone looking to purchase their first MCM home. The backyard was amazing, even backing the drainage ditch. I was not entirely crazy about the layout. The bedrooms were small and the closets were even smaller. The bulk of the square footage was a bonus room in the back that didn't look original to the house. It was ackward getting to it through the dining room. Also the living room had low ceilings which I'm not fond of.

But for the record not everyone has kids, wants kids or even cares about school districts. Even young couples who may want kids in the future could live there for 3-5 years and then move into a neighborhood with better zoning. I would much rather live in a mod house in Glenbrook than an apartment in some of the better neighborhoods around town. First time homebuyers are not likely to be able to afford to move into a mod in one of the most desirable neighborhoods. Finding any affordable housing in any style is tough these days. We are currently zoned to Bellaire schools (and want kids someday) but I'm not too good to live in Glenbrook Valley.

I hope someone gets it and is able to bring it back. It certainly had something to work with.

Glad to hear missjane got to see this house before the contract was in. By the time I spread the word and a friend of mine called on it, the contract was in. According to her, the listing agent specialized in foreclosures and just started to try and sell her on some other misc properties. I don't know this for sure, but it sounded to me like the agent was unaware that there are people looking for this type of house. My guess is that he had the green light to sell it cheap and fast, and thought nothing of the design in setting the price...except maybe to make it lower!

Is Lewis a bad school now? I graduated from there.

I can't say whether it is.. the profile and website are available.

Here is Judd Mortimer Lewis' profile and website:

* Lewis ES - http://es.houstonisd.org/lewises/

* http://dept.houstonisd.org/profiles/Lewis_ES.pdf

As of 2006, Lewis is a mostly-Hispanic, mostly free and reduced lunch school.

Lewis now only serves Kindergarten through 3rd grade - 4th and 5th graders go to another school called "Bellfort Academy"

I am not surprised that house went fast. There is another good mod on Glenloch for $149,900 that Marcy Williams has listed. I showed it to an Architecture Professor, but she ended up buying a different mod. It doesn't really show up that well in the pictures, and they added this odd ornate cabinet above the bar that photographs really poorly, but in person the house is actually very nice with minimal undoing. (that bar cabinet could come down very easily) There is an extra room and bath on the opposite side of the garage too.

Glenloch house

By the way, Texas Monthly listed Bellfort Academy was one of the top Texas public elementary schools in its 2006 issue http://www.houstonisd.org/HISD/portal/arti...7670474,00.html

How safe do y'all think that Glenbrook is now? My sister says it's not...my uncle, who lives on Dover, was mugged in his front yard and robbed of his rings. We used to live on another section of Dover and she says oh, you don't even go to that part safely anymore.

Opinions?

How safe do y'all think that Glenbrook is now? My sister says it's not...my uncle, who lives on Dover, was mugged in his front yard and robbed of his rings. We used to live on another section of Dover and she says oh, you don't even go to that part safely anymore.

Opinions?

Well you can get mugged anywhere...I'd stay away from those apartments though.

Opinions?

I don't think they have the problems they had years ago. Its in the city so there is crime, just like Heights, Montrose, Eastwood, etc. Most of the issues have been outside the perimeters and occassional break ins, mostly south of Bellefort in homes with easy access to the main streets and/or apartments. I redid a house on the corner of Morley & Dover, which had a lot of foot traffic from the apartments since Morley was a cut through street. I didn't really have any issues.

I don't think they have the problems they had years ago. Its in the city so there is crime, just like Heights, Montrose, Eastwood, etc. Most of the issues have been outside the perimeters and occassional break ins, mostly south of Bellefort in homes with easy access to the main streets and/or apartments. I redid a house on the corner of Morley & Dover, which had a lot of foot traffic from the apartments since Morley was a cut through street. I didn't really have any issues.

They made Morley a cut through? Hm. When I was growing up down near Cayton, there were no cut-throughs. That whole area behind Dover all the way to Broadway was a field--from Bellfort to Airport Blvd. As a matter of fact, the day before Kennedy was shot, I was sitting on top of my jungle gym and could see him in his limo--being driven down Broadway. I don't know what's back there now. My uncle's house, the next block over, backs up to some apartments. Last time my sister was in the neighborhood she saw some men chasing and harassing a Vietnamese restaurant worker, who was obviously trying to make it to an apartment building.

Well, it's good to hear that GV might be making a comeback. It was such a great place to grow up.

One of my friends lives on Cayton, and he leaves his front door open all the time with just a screen door. I think he has lost his mind. I don't think it is that bad but at the same time its life in the big city, not Mayberry. But he hasn't had a problem yet. They have a citizen on patrol thing, which was implemented years ago when crime was a lot worse. Apparently it seems to have helped some.

One of my friends lives on Cayton, and he leaves his front door open all the time with just a screen door. I think he has lost his mind. I don't think it is that bad but at the same time its life in the big city, not Mayberry. But he hasn't had a problem yet. They have a citizen on patrol thing, which was implemented years ago when crime was a lot worse. Apparently it seems to have helped some.

I feel relatively safe. One of my neighbors has had his garage broken into. But that happens lots of places.

I'd be much happier if all the apartments on Broadway were gone. Some I'm not sure how they haven't been condemned. There is no way they are safe to live it or follow any building codes.

I feel relatively safe. One of my neighbors has had his garage broken into. But that happens lots of places.

I'd be much happier if all the apartments on Broadway were gone. Some I'm not sure how they haven't been condemned. There is no way they are safe to live it or follow any building codes.

Relatively safe means relatively inexpensive. What are the odds of being a serious crime victim there? If they were close to zero, the odds of having a large monthly mortgage payment would be 100%.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived