Third Coast Seafood At 2412 Washington Ave.

houstonray

Chatters Cafe & Bistro (140 S Heights Boulevard) has an excellent weekend brunch.

Never been to the brunch, but we ate there for the first time a couple of weeks ago and liked it. It's run by the same people who are involved with Hungry International on Rice Blvd., so if you're familiar with Hungry's, the menu at Chatter's is very similar.

• 1 month later...
Just read an article that all of the Pig Stands have closed?!?! It said the store in Houston and Beaumont and all the ones in San Antonio.

That really sucks. :angry:

Never understood why people are so ga-ga about the Pig-Stand on Washington maybe just the fact that it's an icon of the area and because Ms McClaine did her short scene inside for The Evening Star. It may as well close prices are outrageous, service is slooooowwwww and the idea of having the restroom outside (yes it is) always disgusting. The mens RR was designed for children or dwarfs and it is beyond description. Ugh.. People only go because of the reputation. Best thing to do is tear down and build a brand spanking new CLEAN coffee shop that has that 1940-50's appearance. When it was new it was the place to be, inexpensive convenient and great fast food so my relatives say, ahh the good ole days. Baileys Studios has great photos of most eateries on Washington. Wait till rail comes in and really crams the street, bet that's waiting in the wings. Whole nother thread for sure.

Never understood why people are so ga-ga about the Pig-Stand on Washington maybe just the fact that it's an icon of the area and because Ms McClaine did her short scene inside for The Evening Star. It may as well close prices are outrageous, service is slooooowwwww and the idea of having the restroom outside (yes it is) always disgusting. The mens RR was designed for children or dwarfs and it is beyond description. Ugh.. People only go because of the reputation. Best thing to do is tear down and build a brand spanking new CLEAN coffee shop that has that 1940-50's appearance. When it was new it was the place to be, inexpensive convenient and great fast food so my relatives say, ahh the good ole days. Baileys Studios has great photos of most eateries on Washington. Wait till rail comes in and really crams the street, bet that's waiting in the wings. Whole nother thread for sure.

There's a shiny new 59 diner with your name on it a few miles down the road on I10. In the meantime, the Pig Stand takes up all of about 3000 sq feet of space on Washington. Leave it be.

I see all the little pig statues are gone from the windows. :(

It's true, it wasn't the cheapest place to eat, but it had a certain atmosphere. (when you wanted to slum it a little and harden your arteries at the same time) And the chicken fried steak was really good.

Hopefully some other kind of diner operation will take over the building, but I fear we're in for more condos.

• 2 months later...

I remember three Pig Stand restaurants over here in Beaumont. There was one on Washington Boulevard, one on College Street, and one on Calder Avenue. A few months ago a read an article about the chain in a magazine, I think it was Texas Highways. It said that Pig Stands were experiencing financial problems and most, if not all, of its restaurants have closed down. It talked about the ones in Houston, Dallas, and I think it mentioned some in San Antonio. Are any of them in Houston still operating?

Yes, I remember the Pig Sandwich, Senior & Junior. The lunch and dinner of the day was plentiful and filling. There was always pie and cake underneath a glass cover on the counter.

The one on Washington has closed. Last I checked, there was a Pig Stand in Seguin, but whether it's still there or not is unknown.

The food at the one on Washington wasn't that good and was overpriced to boot. We used to go to the ones in San Antonio when I was a kid and when I learned there was one on Washington when I got a job in the vicinity, I was thrilled. Man, what a disappointment.

True, walking in the joint was like walking into a time machine. It looked like something out of the 1950s or 1960s. It also looked like they hadn't cleaned it since then either. And the Pig Sandwich was nothing special whatsoever. Nothing at all like I remembered it. The french fries that came with the meal were good, but that was it. And I wasn't too keen on paying nearly $8 for it either.

Part of me thinks it was a shame the Pig Stand closed, but part of me thinks it outlived it's time.

The company went into bankruptcy last year after struggling for several years and selling off some units. The one in Seguin was an attempt to re-invigorate the brand, I think. There should be an article on the closures in the San Antonion Business Journal on-line -- the company was based in SA at the time.

The first Pig Stand opened in Dallas in 1921, the first Houston location in 1922 but I don't know if it was the one on Washington. I believe HCAD dates that one only to 1960. The early ones would have been curbside. They were the first drive-ins. Carhops (the first ones were all male) would run to the curb and hop on the running board of your car to take your order - that's where the term 'carhop' came from. There's a history on line, or used to be; I've lost my link.

Besides inventing drive-ins, Pig Stand was credited with inventing onion rings and Texas toast, iirc. I thought the CFS was pretty good for what it was; I thought the signature pig sandwich was awful.

The one on Washington has closed. Last I checked, there was a Pig Stand in Seguin, but whether it's still there or not is unknown.

The food at the one on Washington wasn't that good and was overpriced to boot. We used to go to the ones in San Antonio when I was a kid and when I learned there was one on Washington when I got a job in the vicinity, I was thrilled. Man, what a disappointment.

True, walking in the joint was like walking into a time machine. It looked like something out of the 1950s or 1960s. It also looked like they hadn't cleaned it since then either. And the Pig Sandwich was nothing special whatsoever. Nothing at all like I remembered it. The french fries that came with the meal were good, but that was it. And I wasn't too keen on paying nearly $8 for it either.

Part of me thinks it was a shame the Pig Stand closed, but part of me thinks it outlived it's time.

Yes, I think the same thing not only about Pig Stands but other businesses as well. I mentioned Stuckey's in another thread. They seem to have had their "heyday," and newer establishments have come along and people have started patronizing them. Howard Johnson's is still operating, but its newer motels no longer have the trademark orange roof. That makes me believe that HoJo will soon be on its way out. To the best of my knowledge, the Sambo's Restaurant chain no longer exists. And I believe that Denny's might soon bite the dust. It seems like Cracker Barrel and Waffle House are now the most popular roadside restaurants.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Anybody remember the Pig Stand restaurants? I remember one over near White Oak Bayou...I think on White Oak Drive...

God, I was little back then...lol

Yes, there were at least three (maybe four) Pig Stand Restaurants in Beaumont. I read that the whole chain is having financial problems and all of the branches might become things of the past. I remember the famous "Pig Sandwich."

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know anything about the location of the old Pig Stand?? What is the property going for, are they looking to lease or sell it???

There's a Dallas phone number on the sign out front with "Call for information" next to it. I'll try to remember to write down the number the next time I go by there.

• 5 months later...
Just read an article that all of the Pig Stands have closed?!?! It said the store in Houston and Beaumont and all the ones in San Antonio.

That really sucks. :angry:

Does anyone know what is going in where the pig stand used to be???...they have started working on it

• 1 month later...

More info from Swamplot:

"Neighbors in the Sixth Ward have noticed some activity at the shuttered Pig Stand on Washington at Sawyer:

"It appears that the former owners of the Pigstand property have retained ownership, but that they have leased the property out to the Sawyer Sportsbar, Inc.

Sawyer Sportsbar, Inc., is a new corporation, formed in April, by none other than Darren Van Delden, owner of The Drake.

I am not sure if Darren or the Dallas property owners are doing the build-out, but it is in its very early stages. (The Pigstand only had an outdoor bathroom, so I expect some relatively expansive upgrades, at least to the interior).""

I was under the impression that the sports bar The Drake is going to operate is in the same building as the Drake, but it will be in the part of the building that occupies frontage on Washington, anyone know if that is right?

My understanding is that it will occupy both the Pigstand and the building immediately to the west. They will bust a hallway through or something to that effect.