Third Coast Seafood At 2412 Washington Ave.

houstonray

The sign on the door just says closed for repairs. they are doing all that street work outside of it...maybe it is just that...

http://www.bizjournals.com/sanantonio/stor...13/daily43.html

The closures were prompted after the Comptroller's office denied appeals by Vincent Luizza, the Chapter 11 trustee for Texas Pig Stand Inc., to keep the three stores open while he continued the search to find a buyer for the business.

The company had planned to borrow funds against its real estate to pay off its past-due sales taxes. However, Pig Stands Inc. officials contend that the company was still in negotiations with a prospective lender on Nov. 8 when the Comptroller's office suspended its licenses to operate.

Just read another article (google news "Pig Stand") and it's definitely closed for "other" reasons than repair. They have been in bankruptcy for over a year and are delinquent in back sales tax. The owner is looking for a buyer but in the interim, the State of Texas ordered them all closed indefinitely.

I was just talking about that with a friend. With the right investor, some money poured into a general 'overhaul' of the place, keep the same menu, etc, that place is a Houston landmark that has potential. And with more and more traffic coming to the area because of Sawyer Heights, it's only going to get busier.

First New Orleans Po' Boys, then Diedrich's, then Helios, now this...

Is every cool place in Houston under assault?

If a buyer can be found to reopen the place, I hope they don't fix it up too much. Sometimes people scrub the charm right out.

The Pig Stand allowed me to brag that my butt has occupied the same stool as Shirley MacLaine's. :D It was one of the settings used in The Evening Star.

If a buyer can be found to reopen the place, I hope they don't fix it up too much. Sometimes people scrub the charm right out.

The Pig Stand allowed me to brag that my butt has occupied the same stool as Shirley MacLaine's. :D It was one of the settings used in The Evening Star.

Yes, but it could use some scrubbing. I am a big fan of "comfort food" like they served at the Pig, but the lack of cleanliness there kind of kept me from going very often.

Yes, but it could use some scrubbing. I am a big fan of "comfort food" like they served at the Pig, but the lack of cleanliness there kind of kept me from going very often.

Never mentioned this before, because despite my experience I like the place and wanted to see it continue:

Unfortunately, this was my case too. The occasional roach sighting I could handle...it was when one crawled all the way up to my father's collar that I wrote the place off.

Still, I'm sorry to see it closing. If someone would scrub it and fumigate, I'd come back in a heartbeat.

New Orleans Po' Boys is closing/has closed !!! ?

I also read on the restaurant thread that Eatzi's closed last week! Holy cow, what's happening to our cool places?

Eatzi's closed b/c that whole strip center is being demolished. I don't know what Cafe Annie is going to do... but they are going to have mixed use- residential on top and retail below. It's going to be the home of the new 25,000+ sq ft Whole Foods!

on live at 5, they interviewed a former employee who said that they are going to try and reopen on Dec 1. we'll have to see what happens.

I hope so because the chicken fried steak at BBQ Inn has gone to the toilet. I need my cardiac on a plate from Pig Stand!!!!!!! :angry:

you need to hit Telwink!

Been there-done that. I'm not knocking it but the PS adds just the right amount of salt and pepper in the gravy and sometimes the meat is so tender you can cut it with a fork.

Besides, the ambiance of the pig motif plus the stylish waitresses is unsurpassed this side of Paris...Texas :lol:

Been there-done that. I'm not knocking it but the PS adds just the right amount of salt and pepper in the gravy and sometimes the meat is so tender you can cut it with a fork.

Besides, the ambiance of the pig motif plus the stylish waitresses is unsurpassed this side of Paris...Texas :lol:

For once we can agree on something. Even though the chicken fried steak usually has a chicken fried blood vessel somewhere within it that is impossibly chewy, the flavor is better. And between the decorum and the career waitresses with the gritty voices from a lifetime of smoking...just makes for a good experience.

I was driving down Washington while running errands this afternoon, and noticed someone changing the letters on the sign in the Pig Stand's parking lot. When I was headed home an hour or so later, it now read "Employees Fundraiser Tomorrow". No further details, and by that time the guy who'd been changing the letters was gone, or I'd have stopped to ask him about it.

I was driving down Washington while running errands this afternoon, and noticed someone changing the letters on the sign in the Pig Stand's parking lot. When I was headed home an hour or so later, it now read "Employees Fundraiser Tomorrow". No further details, and by that time the guy who'd been changing the letters was gone, or I'd have stopped to ask him about it.

A tchotchke pig auction perhaps??

If it's not going to reopen, I wouldn't mind a small ceramic/glass/metal/wood/whatever pig as a memory of the "good old days".... :P

• 2 weeks later...
If it's not going to reopen, I wouldn't mind a small ceramic/glass/metal/wood/whatever pig as a memory of the "good old days".... :P

...and I wouldn't mind having that glorious neon 'Coffee Shop' sign that offsets all of the beyond-hideous condos now dotting Washington Ave.

This is truly horrible news. The Pig Stands here, and in SA and Beaumont, were the last of the old-time diners still left in South Texas. When I moved back to town a few months ago, this was one of the first places I headed to.

Now the corner of Washington & Sawyer will just be another #@*&! condo... :angry2:

I'm joining the Taliban...