Dallas courting gay visitors

MidtownCoog

• 2 weeks later...

Houston has long been known as the Southwest's gay capital. Gay Pride Parade in Houston is so cool (albeit hot because it is summer). I am happy Dallas realizes how much gay people bring to the table in income, class and all that artsy-fartsy stuff. I have always enjoyed (back when I was a wee big younger) going up to the Roundup in Dallas and dancing my ass off. Anyhow, this is great news for Texas. Somehow Texas gets lost in the gay media because they think Texas is "redneck." Which a lot of it is, but a helluva lot of it is not. Go Big D. Let's show America that Dallas and Houston are way more than duel tire pickup trucks ... I almost said tricks. :lol::lol: Thanks for the post, guys. Or maybe should I say gurlz. ;)

Houston has long been known as the Southwest's gay capital. Gay Pride Parade in Houston is so cool (albeit hot because it is summer). I am happy Dallas realizes how much gay people bring to the table in income, class and all that artsy-fartsy stuff. I have always enjoyed (back when I was a wee big younger) going up to the Roundup in Dallas and dancing my ass off. Anyhow, this is great news for Texas. Somehow Texas gets lost in the gay media because they think Texas is "redneck." Which a lot of it is, but a helluva lot of it is not. Go Big D. Let's show America that Dallas and Houston are way more than duel tire pickup trucks ... I almost said tricks. :lol::lol:Thanks for the post, guys. Or maybe should I say gurlz. ;)

:lol::lol:

Well, we got 5 words into the thread before a Houston is better than Dallas post. Things are looking up.

Jason

Four (4) words, not five. I believe things started "looking up" right around the word "but". Things are just fine as they are: these "issues" you ellude to are what I would call "charm".

Houston has long been known as the Southwest's gay capital.

I agree, I just wish Houston would cater to them just like the city of Dallas is doing.

This quote is a compliment and an insult:

It's not about being politically correct, it's about being economically correct," said Phillip Jones, president and CEO of the tourism bureau. He said gay travelers spend an average of $100 more per day than other travelers and plan four to six trips a year.

They are correct since most gays are better educated and have more expendable income, but it also has the angle, "let's get them in Dallas so we can milk them for all they are worth".

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

That would be awesome if Oakley would win! However, I'm in Fort Worth, and we really don't have anything here. My partner and I have to drive to Dallas for EVERYTHING! Village Station was remodeled a couple of years ago, and it's called S4. It's twice the size now and alot better looking aesthetically on the inside. Still a meat market though. What gay club isn't?

The things about the other two people that were elected in Dallas County, was that not many people knew about their sexuality, until after the race, if I'm not mistaken. Now, as for mayoral candidate Oakley, we all knew. I'm kind of stoked. Oak Lawn has a a MAJOR crime problem and homeless problem the past few years, and I hope that if Oakley is elected, he'll change all that. For instance, an average response time in the city of Dallas is low, but for Oak Lawn, it's unusually high. Several business owners have complained, but nothing has really been done. If I could find the articles, I'd post the links, but I can't find them!

The things about the other two people that were elected in Dallas County, was that not many people knew about their sexuality, until after the race, if I'm not mistaken. Now, as for mayoral candidate Oakley, we all knew. I'm kind of stoked. Oak Lawn has a a MAJOR crime problem and homeless problem the past few years, and I hope that if Oakley is elected, he'll change all that. For instance, an average response time in the city of Dallas is low, but for Oak Lawn, it's unusually high. Several business owners have complained, but nothing has really been done. If I could find the articles, I'd post the links, but I can't find them!

Even with the crime problems, you must admit what's going on in that area development-wise is amazing. All of those old apartments complexes are being razed for new development at an alarming rate. I also like how everyone seems to go to Oaklawn, not just gays. I'm not gay but several of my hetero friends and myself go to the strip all the time and find lots of other straight people there. When I moved to Dallas, I was shocked at how gay-friendly and gay visible the city is. I so didn't expect that.

And I work with a gay guy that recently moved to Dallas from Fort Worth. He says the same thing, Fort Worth has nothing for you guys there. I've visited Fort Worth a few times and the downtown area is cute, but that city overall has no real modern, funky vibe. It's like time stands still there. I couldn't imagine being anything "different' there...it doesn't seem to be a town that necessarily embraces diversity. No offense, just my measly opinion.

• 2 weeks later...

It wasn't even close (58% to 42%).

Guess that leaves HOUSTON (with a lesbian city controller and a lesbian city-wide councilmember) as the true lavender heart of Texas!

Oh, and what the hell is up with only 85,590 votes being cast for MAYOR in a city of over 1,200,000 people? Hell, in 2005, Bill White ran pretty much unopposed and 184,967 votes were cast (with over 90% going to White).

It wasn't even close (58% to 42%).

Guess that leaves HOUSTON (with a lesbian city controller and a lesbian city-wide councilmember) as the true lavender heart of Texas!

Oh, and what the hell is up with only 85,590 votes being cast for MAYOR in a city of over 1,200,000 people? Hell, in 2005, Bill White ran pretty much unopposed and 184,967 votes were cast (with over 90% going to White).

Who is our lesbian councilmember? No seriously. I didn't know we had an openly gay one.

All competition aside, Houston, Dallas, and Austin are the "Lavender" nodes of Texas.

Although the municipal environment in each city varies:

Austin has always been progressive, but as its city limits grow into more "suburban" areas, the city's attitude could be tempered a bit by more conservative, "family" concerns.

Dallas has long been considered conservative, but as its growth filters farther into suburbs beyond the city proper, and takes the more conservative population with, the core city becomes more and more progressive with those remaining.

Houston, on the other hand, has a very progressive core, but due to its size, also has huge suburban areas that are much less progressive; moderating the city as a whole.

None of these situations are necessarily bad or good for the gay community, but it is interesting to note the differences and will be fun to watch the progress over time.

Archived