Haters

MidtownCoog

The city of Dallas:

This is tough. After all, the Dallas Morning News named Houston as its "Texan of the year" for the city's response to Hurricane Katrina. But within months, Kenny Shaw, director of Dallas' office of emergency management, announced the city would be unable to help shelter evacuees if a major storm hit Houston. Gee, thanks. To be fair, a Dallas County judge later said that the Metroplex would accommodate as many people as needed. Nice attempt at a save, but we're still ticked at Shaw's comments.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ultima...es/4252567.html

The city of Dallas:

This is tough. After all, the Dallas Morning News named Houston as its "Texan of the year" for the city's response to Hurricane Katrina. But within months, Kenny Shaw, director of Dallas' office of emergency management, announced the city would be unable to help shelter evacuees if a major storm hit Houston. Gee, thanks. To be fair, a Dallas County judge later said that the Metroplex would accommodate as many people as needed. Nice attempt at a save, but we're still ticked at Shaw's comments.

Damn. I was looking forward to some upscale shopping and visiting the port of Dallas if I had to evacuate there.

The city of Dallas:

So rather than someone saying something to call attention to what would have been a problem you'd much rather be lied to. Typical sheep. Baaaahhh.

The city of Dallas:

This is crazy........Houston helps out with Katrina.....Dallas does not ....Dallas is ridiculed about not helping as much with Katrina.....Dallas Gives Houston an award to pat Houton on the back....Now houston wants Dallas to Kiss her ass all the way to the next Storm.....Houston Got an award for stepping up from a city in which they resent so much.......so why would you guys waste yall time coming to this horrible horrible home of the 30k millionaires,city of fakeness,rude,pretentous, wanna be like everybody, no identity of a city called lil ole Dallas? :rolleyes: ....I really don't get it.......Help! :o

When? In your head?

I truly don't remember this if it's true.

Oh come on!..........................Yall busted our balls until no end but of course you won't remember that.Dallas was the bad city in texas during the storm.That's how we were being protrayed.And I know I'm not crazy . :closedeyes:

I do remember. Austin, San Antonio pitched in.

Dallas didn't.

Man, y'all are terrible ;-0

I didn't read the article and really don't care to read another dumb Dallas v. Houston thread. But I just wanted to mention that we have two Katrina evacuees working here. Some have opened a resturant in Deep Ellum, and I remember the Convention Center here full of evacuees and tons of businesses, charity organizations and churces in DFW taking up money and clothes for them and New Orleans. I also meet evacuees that have settled in and around Dallas all the time. So I don't get how Dallas didn't help. I will say that even if Dallas did nothing, it doesn't look nearly as bad as newcast showing angry Houstonians yelling that they had helped "enough" and for Katrina evacuees to go home. And god forbid something like this should happen again. Not after Houston has told the country that evacuees are all criminals and freeloading bums and they're to blame for all of the city's woes. What city is going to want the "burden" the next time around? But Houston still deserves an award for its generosity, no matter how short-lived it was.

I didn't read the article and really don't care to read another dumb Dallas v. Houston thread. But I just wanted to mention that we have two Katrina evacuees working here. Some have opened a resturant in Deep Ellum, and I remember the Convention Center here full of evacuees and tons of businesses, charity organizations and churces in DFW taking up money and clothes for them and New Orleans. I also meet evacuees that have settled in and around Dallas all the time. So I don't get how Dallas didn't help. I will say that even if Dallas did nothing, it doesn't look nearly as bad as newcast showing angry Houstonians yelling that they had helped "enough" and for Katrina evacuees to go home. And god forbid something like this should happen again. Not after Houston has told the country that evacuees are all criminals and freeloading bums and they're to blame for all of the city's woes. What city is going to want the "burden" the next time around? But Houston still deserves an award for its generosity, no matter how short-lived it was.

Wow, that's quite the perspective. Maybe had Dallas helped with the poverty stricken evacuees, they would have understood why some here eventually bitched about it. Your comparing evacuees that are opening businesses to those that Houston had to deal with, and there is no comparison.

Again, Dallas defends herself at all times.

Like I said, I really don't remeber Dallas not helping out being a problem. My ;-0 was a joke.

But I can tell you that the poor huddled masses didn't have money to buy a 7-11 burrito, much less open a business. And I seriously doubt you work these particular poor folks.

And the poor are still huddled in beautiful southwest Houston.

Although crime seems to be getting a lot better in this part of time. Either that, or they have successfully all killed each other.

This is crazy........Houston helps out with Katrina.....Dallas does not ....Dallas is ridiculed about not helping as much with Katrina.....Dallas Gives Houston an award to pat Houton on the back....Now houston wants Dallas to Kiss her ass all the way to the next Storm.....Houston Got an award for stepping up from a city in which they resent so much.......so why would you guys waste yall time coming to this horrible horrible home of the 30k millionaires,city of fakeness,rude,pretentous, wanna be like everybody, no identity of a city called lil ole Dallas? :rolleyes: ....I really don't get it.......Help! :o

I don't go there. I lived there and thought it was a pit. I hurriedly moved back to Houston. I think there are more Oklahomans in Dallas than in Oklahoma. I think Dallas is woefully underserved in fine dining. I think its sports teams are terrible. Its weather is the worst of all worlds. It lacks diversity or a social conscience. It plays second and third fiddle to two hated rivals in the arts. There's no major public university in the city. Its downtown is rotting at the core. Its traffic is horrendous and its freeways are crumbling -- no wonder people look to something as silly as the new "high 5" overpass with such amazement. Seriously -- does EVERYTHING have to be "mythic" there? It panders to tourists, yet ignores its neighbors in times of trouble. Its boob of a mayor shamelessly boosts the city while its school system, city services and infrastructure collapse. The crime is the stuff of a 70s cop show. The population is exiting for the suburbs at incredible rates to escape. And its people allow their insecurity to drive them to post ____ like you post on a Houston board. I don't get that. I couldn't imagine visiting a Dallas board, much less posting on one.

That said, the shopping there is good.

It's all about location. Houston is the closest big city to what used to be New Orleans, so it makes sense that more people shelter(ed) there. Dallas and Atlanta are about the same distance from New Orleans, and both hosted about the same number of evacuees. It's the good ole Texas pride keeping these pointless, occasionally funny, cut-downs alive.

That official-type guy in Dallas was just being a dumb-ass to say the Metroplex could not accommodate the volume of special needs evacuees resulting from a catastrophe in the Houston area.

According to your initial post, you do stand corrected.

Ha, Gary you're funny and smart too. But to TexasStar I wasn't defending Dallas at all. This is something too stupid to waste time doing so. I was just pointed out that Houston wants recognition for all of the help it gave to evacuees even after the city proceeded to tell the country that evacuees were dangerous savages that caused nothing but muder and mayhem. I'm sure many evacuees are so thankful to Houston for dragging thier names through the mud and telling the country that they had received enough help and its time to go home.

And my mention of the family that opened the restuarant in Deep Ellum was to show that many of the evacuees that came here have stayed and are working hard to make a new life for themselves. I met an evacuee downtown once that was very excited to get a job at a local WalMart too. My point being that regardless of the unflattering portrait painted of the evacuees by Houston citizens, most I've met have been hardworking, kind, honest people.

• 2 weeks later...
Houston - we can solve problems.

Dallas - won't even bother.

PRINT IT

Are you really this stupid? Many Dallasites helped after Katrina. And then during Rita, many Houstonians went up to Dallas to find shelter. Churches opened their doors. Family members did too. Reunion Center was full of people.

Dallas does not have a huge empty domed building like the Astrodome or Reliant to put people. I imagine that is what Kenny Shaw was trying to say. It has Reunion, and Dallas used Reunion.

Dallas extends an olive branch and you can do is delicate flower. You embarrass me. And what the hell is "print it" supposed to mean? My God, U of H really is a junior college.

Embarrassing.

I don't go there. I lived there and thought it was a pit. I hurriedly moved back to Houston. I think there are more Oklahomans in Dallas than in Oklahoma. I think Dallas is woefully underserved in fine dining. I think its sports teams are terrible. Its weather is the worst of all worlds. It lacks diversity or a social conscience. It plays second and third fiddle to two hated rivals in the arts. There's no major public university in the city. Its downtown is rotting at the core. Its traffic is horrendous and its freeways are crumbling -- no wonder people look to something as silly as the new "high 5" overpass with such amazement. Seriously -- does EVERYTHING have to be "mythic" there? It panders to tourists, yet ignores its neighbors in times of trouble. Its boob of a mayor shamelessly boosts the city while its school system, city services and infrastructure collapse. The crime is the stuff of a 70s cop show. The population is exiting for the suburbs at incredible rates to escape. And its people allow their insecurity to drive them to post ____ like you post on a Houston board. I don't get that. I couldn't imagine visiting a Dallas board, much less posting on one.

That said, the shopping there is good.

No major public university? What do we have? University of Houston? What a piece of crap. If you have a heartbeat you can get in there -- and out of there. It sounds like you lived in a poor part of town while in Dallas. Don't let that fool you. Dallas and Houston have similar arts, culture and dining. Saying that one city is far superior just shows your ignorance.

Embarrassing again. Why do I come back here?

Are you really this stupid? Many Dallasites helped after Katrina. And then during Rita, many Houstonians went up to Dallas to find shelter. Churches opened their doors. Family members did too. Reunion Center was full of people.

Dallas does not have a huge empty domed building like the Astrodome or Reliant to put people. I imagine that is what Kenny Shaw was trying to say. It has Reunion, and Dallas used Reunion.

Dallas extends an olive branch and you can do is delicate flower. You embarrass me. And what the hell is "print it" supposed to mean? My God, U of H really is a junior college.

Embarrassing.

No major public university? What do we have? University of Houston? What a piece of crap. If you have a heartbeat you can get in there -- and out of there. It sounds like you lived in a poor part of town while in Dallas. Don't let that fool you. Dallas and Houston have similar arts, culture and dining. Saying that one city is far superior just shows your ignorance.

Embarrassing again. Why do I come back here?

If you want people to assume that you're the voice of reason around here, it might help if you wouldn't have a near meltdown every time someone says something disparaging about Dallas. You love it. Fine. Great even. But accept that others don't--or don't nearly as much as you do. Further, try to do it without ad hominem attacks.

If you want people to assume that you're the voice of reason around here, it might help if you wouldn't have a near meltdown every time someone says something disparaging about Dallas. You love it. Fine. Great even. But accept that others don't--or don't nearly as much as you do. Further, try to do it without ad hominem attacks.

Sentences are supposed to have complete thoughts. Once I understand your point, I will be happy to respond.

Archived