1. 1. Which do you support/own?

• Microsoft - Xbox 360/Xbox
    • Sony - PlayStation 3/PlayStation 2/PlayStation Portable
    • Nintendo - Wii/Gamecube/DS

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Marty
Puma, why do you feel it necessary to change the title of your threads constantly? It is very annoying, just bump your thread and move on, like the rest of us.
The title change makes it relevant to the topic at hand, which is evolved from the initial launch.

I think this is a much better solution than creating a whole new thread about the topic.

It is a pretty big thing, with E3 starting this week, there will be alot of gaming news. Since this is on the lines of an off topic thread, I don't want to flood the boards with gaming topics when I can just maintain one thread.

PS3 is being planned for a 10 year life span.

Oh... My... God!!!!!!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I thought I voted in this thread already what did you do reset the poll when you changed the topic title again...

I dunno, seems pretty weak as far as participation goes.

I am sure we lost the data when it was merged.

I dunno, seems pretty weak as far as participation goes.

I am sure we lost the data when it was merged.

dont know about that but 3 votes "at the time/post #125" seems a tad small for a thread that has over 120 post.

edit; nevermind I got this thread mixed up with another.

The Xbox 360 is kicking the PS3's ass in the sales department. New July sales numbers from today (official numbers; not VGCharts crap):

July Hardware Figures

Wii 425 k

Nintendo DS 405 k

PlayStation 2 222k

PlayStation Portable 214k

Xbox 360 170k

PlayStation 3 159k

Game Boy Advance 87k

Top 10 SKU's for July

360 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 1 397k

PS2 GUITAR HERO ENCORE: ROCKS THE 80S ACTIVISION (CORP) 2 339k

WII PLAY W/ REMOTE NINTENDO OF AMERICA 3 278k

PS2 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 4 236k

WII MARIO PARTY 8 NINTENDO OF AMERICA 5 177k

PS3 NCAA FOOTBALL 08 ELECTRONIC ARTS 6 156k

NDS POKEMON DIAMOND VERSION NINTENDO OF AMERICA 7 144k

PS2 TRANSFORMERS: THE GAME ACTIVISION (CORP) 8 143k

PS2 GUITAR HERO 2 W/GUITAR ACTIVISION (CORP) 9 138k

360 GUITAR HERO 2 W/ GUITAR ACTIVISION (CORP) 10 108k

This is with that PS3 price drop. The PS3 is full of ____.

No, more like Nintendo Wii is slamming Xbox360 and PS3 combined if them figures a right.

edit; Nintendo DS seems to be walking the dog and kicking the cat also.

This is with that PS3 price drop. The PS3 is full of ____.

For the most expensive console on the market, I beg to differ.

Bascially for each PS3 price wise, you could buy (2) Wii's.

So if you compare it like that, it is doing twice as well.

On a similar note, the majority of the sales for the Xbox 360 are for the $399(now $349) middle model.

I think dollar for dollar, PS3 is selling well, and with each price drop, should gain even more market share.

Whatever you say. It's doing so well it's forward strategy is continued price drops?

That's not exaclty a good business model.

The more hardware sales they have, to more licensing money they can collect with games sales.

You can't sell the games unless you have more consoles out there.

True. Then they should just give them away for free.

Or just priced it right from the bery begining.

They can sell it for a bit of a loss, but having it being "sold" for free is just silly.

It worked for Adobe, which I heard gave out free versions of Acrobat in the begining.

But software and hardware are different animals with much greater expenses.

For the most expensive console on the market, I beg to differ.

Bascially for each PS3 price wise, you could buy (2) Wii's.

So if you compare it like that, it is doing twice as well.

On a similar note, the majority of the sales for the Xbox 360 are for the $399(now $349) middle model.

I think dollar for dollar, PS3 is selling well, and with each price drop, should gain even more market share.

This PS3 is about 380K less than the Gamecube was at this point in its lifetime. We all now how well the Gamecube did...

This PS3 is about 380K less than the Gamecube was at this point in its lifetime. We all now how well the Gamecube did...

Gamecube was also $199 when it came out, and I think shortly after $149.

At that price, it is a shame, with a $499 price tag of the PS3, adoption is slow because of the high cost.

It is doing well for being as expensive as it is.

It is doing well for being as expensive as it is.

This comment reminds me of the N64 vs PS1 days where Nintendo chose the cartridge format and Namco and Capcom did not want to develop on the 64 because of the complicated programming issues and expensive media format cost .

• 1 month later...
I am thinking I will wait until either Holiday 2007 or when and if the PS3 has a price drop, maybe to $399.

Well, 10 months later, and I might have my wish for the cheapest PlayStation 3 yet! :wub:

fcctestrep255823l.jpg

Okay, so it is really Oct. 12th, at an event called the Big Bang. And the supposed street date is Nov. 16th.

sony_ps302.jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Blu-ray Xbox 360 Planned By Microsoft

By David Richards | Monday | 18/02/2008

Rumours were circulating today that Microsoft is set to dump HD DVD and bring out a Blu ray Xbox 360 by as early as May 2008. The move will allow the Company to go head to head with the Sony PS3 gaming console which has been credited with being one of the main reasons that retailers have preferred Blu-ray over Toshiba

Blu-ray Xbox 360 Planned By Microsoft

By David Richards | Monday | 18/02/2008

Link To Article

Oh the irony that it would be that a Microsoft console would have a Sony developed technology in it. :lol:

I bought an HD-DVD add-on last year, so would be fine buying the Blu-ray add-on as well. Since I use the Xbox as a media center extender, I plan to have it in my cabinet for years to come, and I like the idea of firmware upgrades flowing via the Xbox.

However, I wouldn't buy the Blu-ray add-on unless it is equipped with the new specs.

I bought an HD-DVD add-on last year, so would be fine buying the Blu-ray add-on as well. Since I use the Xbox as a media center extender, I plan to have it in my cabinet for years to come, and I like the idea of firmware upgrades flowing via the Xbox.

However, I wouldn't buy the Blu-ray add-on unless it is equipped with the new specs.

I feel the same way, however I might feel more inclined to buying a stand alone blu ray player once they get their stuff together, they have a ways to go (unlike hddvd) so i have a solid upconverting dvd player as well and something transmitting full 1080p hd movies and uncompressed audio.

I will miss the lack of region coding and seamless updating that I came to enjoy with hddvd

I doubt that MS will do it. I think one of the main reasons they supported HD-DVD was to drag out the format war until they could get the online distribution up and running. Besides estimating the add on would be over $200, that would have the effect of making the $399/499 PS3 look like a bargain.

In hindsight the Blu-ray drive in the PS3 was a fantastic plan. The PS3 helped Blu-Ray win the format war and now Blu-Ray is going to help the PS3 sells.

...In hindsight the Blu-ray drive in the PS3 was a fantastic plan. The PS3 helped Blu-Ray win the format war and now Blu-Ray is going to help the PS3 sells...

BINGO. Plus, it has all the media sever, on-line, internet surfing, etc. capabilities that Xbox has (essentially). Sony's Trojan horse approach to this battle worked out wonderfully. Want an HD-DVD player? - just buy the PS3 and get a game console as a bonus. That's what I did... although I never really use it - for either... oh well... maybe one day.

• 1 month later...

Seems like it is almost impossible to find people on the PSN.

I figured with the multiplayer goodness of GTAIV coming out next month, be fun to see who will jump in and do some co-op missions with.

Currently, I only have one real PSN title, which is Calling all Cars (flOw, LocoRocco, PixelJunk Monsters, and Everday Shooter) are not online capable, and neither is Ratchet and Clank TOD and Uncharted.

Pumapayam is my username on there. Look me up.

• 3 months later...

Xbox 360 price cut in the next week or so to $299 for the premium system (20 GB version)

xbox-price-cut-x2.jpg

No word if this is the end of the line for the $279 Arcade bundle, or if that price will get reduced (Say $249 to match the Wii)

Also, yet another SKU may debut at E3, a 60 GB bundle, with a "maybe" for the Blu-ray laser for Blu-ray movie payback, no Blu-ray games though. Elite bundle should likely get a reduction of $50 to $399.

Archived