Outdoor Movies Downtown

Subdude

Largetexas gave us a heads-up on this a few weeks ago. According to the print version of the HBJ (not online yet), outdoor movies will be shown at Market Square. Beginning December 4, films will be shown on a 50*30 foot inflatable screen at Market Square, each Saturday starting at 600PM. Features will include "Raiders of the Lost Ark" 12-4, "Back to the Future" 12-11, and "It's a Wonderful Life" on 12-18. Great idea - I hope they make it permanent.

If the intent is to bring people downtown, then all I can say is kudos for doing things that are different. Sure, there will be skeptics. But, if this brings, say, 100 people on average during a normally dead-time, and those people visit restaurants and such, then its all good.

Hey, got an idea. Why not allow local artists to set up shop in Market Square, sellling art, hand-made trinkets, etc? I saw this in a small park in Mexico City and it was the epicenter of the entire area. The place made the whole area bustle with activity.

I don't think something like that would work well here in the states, at least not until there are more people there.

I say if you want to suppor tthis, show up yourself. :)

I plan on it sometime this or next week if it's possible.

It's amazing how we all root for something to continue, but rarely go to the business/event to support it, and then we whine when it does close.

Ricco

Artists selling their creations in Market Square, or another downtown park, would be a great weekend activity especially as more people start coming downtown on the weekends. In several US cities this type of activity is very successful -- Union Square in San Francisco is one example.

I read somewhere that they want to bring lots of activity to that place, (Chron, I think) and they might even bring vendors and stuff in or something.

• 2 weeks later...
Hello,

I am the owner of Blue Moon Cinemas.  We are doing the Market Square movies and would love for you all to come.  The next series will be planned for early Spring but you can go to our website www.bmcinemas.com and look at our schedule.  We will be posting new events for our 2005 season. 

Thanks

Blue Moon Cinemas

What can we do to make it a permanent event @ Market Square? This past weekend was the largest crowd yet. If it continues, the crowd would only get bigger.

What can we do to make it a permanent event @ Market Square? This past weekend was the largest crowd yet. If it continues, the crowd would only get bigger.

To make this a permanent event we will need sponsors for each date. We are planning our sponsor package in the first part of 2005. If you or anybody you know would consider helping out, email me at info@bmcinemas.com. I can fill you in on all the details.

Happy Holidays

Jim