Home At 10901 Willowisp Dr.

Willowisp

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI - IT'S 10901 WILLOWISP, not 10910. If 10910 (flat roof Jenkins designed) goes on sale one of you has to buy it!

If we had not already bought our house, I think that smaller house would have been almost perfect for us.

The house next door to them was redone 2 years ago and sold for about $250K. It's a little bigger and the other house had a total rewire. I don't know what they did electrically with this house, and I don't know if they reworked the foundation or not. I did see the new roof go on though.

Jason

Thanks Jason, I changed the subject.

I wouldn't wish that location on you either. The house next door was re-done well, but it took FOREVER to sell and the investor didn't make any money on it.

flipper

Nice. Love the vent-a-hood. It'll sure be a mess to clean the bottom of those cabs.

hr1804502-10.jpg

So it sold for $175k. How much would y'all say they spent on lipstick for aforementioned pig?

I bet they would have spent 40-50k if they used professionals for everything and pulled permits.

However, they did not pull permits and in my opinion much of the work looks DYI.

If I's a bettin man I'd say they are trying to make around 70k on the house.

flipper

Site is (nearly) everything. So if there is in fact a pawn shop nearby as well as zooming traffic... well, that does not bode well for the sellers. The house certainly appears staged as it's just too nicely fit out with tasteful trappings.

Do the nearby comps support the asking price? Did these folks watch "Flip This House" too many times and say to themselves: "I bet we can do that." Well, that can be a dangerous assumption if you don't do your homework or prevent yourself from becoming emotionally connected to the project.

This one really looks fussy with respect to finishes which leads me to speculate they put their energy in "lipstick" and not other significant issues. I mean, (as has been observed) what's up with that kitchen exhaust fan?

This is a nice place, not really my style but at least these people didn't try to make it all traditional looking. For any of you who watch Nip/Tuck, with the right furniture this house could sort of have the look of the Mcnamara's house. This place did need some work when they bought it. If they get the asking price I know what business I'm going to get into! That is a decent profit, considering this took less than 6 months to clean the place up.

I mean, (as has been observed) what's up with that kitchen exhaust fan?

i thought that was very weird too...usually the hardest part of the installation is running the vent up through the roof. since that is already there, they could have put in a fairly nice zephyr unit for 500. i didn't particularly care for the texture in the entry area either...looks like lunar terrain.

Edited by musicman

Site is (nearly) everything. So if there is in fact a pawn shop nearby as well as zooming traffic... well, that does not bode well for the sellers. The house certainly appears staged as it's just too nicely fit out with tasteful trappings.

Do the nearby comps support the asking price? Did these folks watch "Flip This House" too many times and say to themselves: "I bet we can do that." Well, that can be a dangerous assumption if you don't do your homework or prevent yourself from becoming emotionally connected to the project.

This one really looks fussy with respect to finishes which leads me to speculate they put their energy in "lipstick" and not other significant issues. I mean, (as has been observed) what's up with that kitchen exhaust fan?

My answer to the fan is that it is "period" and they may have saw that it was in good shape, and just didn't want to spend the extra cash to replace it.

My guess on the asking price is that with everyone moving from New York and California to here, that paying $250k to $275k for the same type house they just sold in California for $500k would be a great deal, and leave a little chiga-ling in their pockets. I think the owners are rolling the dice on this one. A little lofty in their thinking, but someone out there has the deposable cash to throw at this house. It is a matter of whether or not the owners have it for the mortgage while it sits. ;) JMO.

Edited by TJones

My answer to the fan is that it is "period" and they may have saw that it was in good shape, and just didn't want to spend the extra cash to replace it.

My guess on the asking price is that with everyone moving from New York and California to here, that paying $250k to $275k for the same type house they just sold in California for $500k would be a great deal, and leave a little chiga-ling in their pockets. I think the owners are rolling the dice on this one. A little lofty in their thinking, but someone out there has the deposable cash to throw at this house. It is a matter of whether or not the owners have it for the mortgage while it sits. ;) JMO.

They are gonna need that cash from the California house profit because it won't appraise near 300k.

flipper

It's not the area that's the problem, ya know, besides the view of the pawn shop. The square footage is the problem.

flipper

We have already agreed that the price is in the $240's to $250. So, I am sure people that are thinking about selling their house, or people considering the area are gonna look at the most expensive, to see what the hell is sooooo special.

JMO.

Yes, it's the original vent fan. I plan to remove my 1996 stainless steel vent hood and replace it with the original type like this one. It looks like they left the original cabinents but replaced the appliances, countertop and floor covering. The original kitchen looked nice. I like the extra wide window. I read that granite counters are now considered outdated and the current trend is quartz and basalt. Plastic laminate or 4" ceramic tiles would be most appropriate for this house.

1612038-6.jpg

Spaceage you hit it right on the nose!

The granite thing has been a growing cliche. It is the hallmark of the Home Depot style. It is so overdone, so yesterdays news. I can not stand it anymore.

I wrote a similar post on my blog http://blog.sellingrenonv.com/?p=66

What's your alternative Jeff ? A nice solid piece of Formica ? ;):P:lol:

Edited by TJones

Actually yes, a 50's re-issued pattern formica would be the most unique or terrazzo or slate or concrete or even quartz. As I said granite is the hallmark of the Home Depot style. Check out any flipper / remodel show on TV, its always granite. For that matter throw in commercial grade stainless steel appliances that no one needs or uses. I'll take a 50's Thermador wall oven any day. Once anything is that mainstream the wow/cool style factor is gone, just like power windows / locks on todays cars.

Concerning the formica v. granite: It is all in what is important to a homeowner. For enthuisiasts of 50's ranch or MCM houses, original tile or formica is very desirable. Cork, concrete, formica, or retro tile certainly fits a house like this very well. It is the same thing as adding crown molding to a modernist room. The typical American likes the Home Depot updated look. This is especially true for most Houstonians. Everyone here wants the Tuscan, Spanish, or Georgian look. Whereas, in cities like Los Angeles the more original and retro the better. The Singleton house by Richard Neutra fetched almost $7 million. The buyer said the reason they chose the house over others was because it still had the original blue formica in the bathrooms, even with a few chips.

Yes, for example, my sister owns a beautiful craftsman/bungalow style house in Portland, OR. When she bought it, the house was/is mostly original looking, save some new windows and the kitchen which has black granite countertops, and she LOVES her "2000s style" kitchen. I love that she loves it. Some people don't want to stay as close as possible to the look of whatever era. And for most houses, I don't give a lot of thought to it. But for houses that have a chance of staying close to the original intention/desire of an "important" architect (whatever that might mean is very subjective!) then I think it is great to advise staying close to those intentions. So thank goodness for owners like that one who bought the Neutra and may there be many more of them.

I was told that work was done on the foundation, by the way. I don't really see a problem with the square footage or the smaller than usual backyard. It's not really missing bedroom size. It's just missing out on a formal living/dining room. For a family of 4 or less it shouldn't be too small of a house.

I have met the owner and he is nice. I have no idea if he knows "the buzz" on the house... He said he wanted to have it open right away but his realtor went on vacation for Thanksgiving.

Jason

Concerning the formica v. granite: It is all in what is important to a homeowner. For enthuisiasts of 50's ranch or MCM houses, original tile or formica is very desirable. Cork, concrete, formica, or retro tile certainly fits a house like this very well. It is the same thing as adding crown molding to a modernist room. The typical American likes the Home Depot updated look. This is especially true for most Houstonians. Everyone here wants the Tuscan, Spanish, or Georgian look. Whereas, in cities like Los Angeles the more original and retro the better. The Singleton house by Richard Neutra fetched almost $7 million. The buyer said the reason they chose the house over others was because it still had the original blue formica in the bathrooms, even with a few chips.

I went to the open house the other day. Though he has done some things that I wouldn't have done, taste-wise, it seems like it was really well done - like that band that rocks in a style you don't like. They do what they do well.

But that original tile in the entry is gone and slated over. The living room panelling is painted. Moulding is added in places...

We'll see what happens. I'll let you know if a sold sign pops up.

Jason

• 4 months later...

I'm usually a purist about mid-century houses and like them original, but I really like what they've done with this one. Not so much the individual choices of textures and paint, but how they work together as a whole.

Oddly, one of my favorite points is the moonscape finish in the hallway - anyone have an idea how they did that?

Edited by GoAtomic

I'm usually a purist about mid-century houses and like them original, but I really like what they've done with this one. Not so much the individual choices of textures and paint, but how they work together as a whole.

Oddly, one of my favorite points is the moonscape finish in the hallway - anyone have an idea how they did that?

The listing agent told me that the finish was already there and not part of the "flipper-upper" redo.

That extra thick texture is pretty cool. I guess it's plaster? Some cool things have been done for the house, and some things I think were great as they were.

Could it just be a lull in the market or is this house just cursed? It's been for sale for over a year (pre and post flip) of the 2 years since we've lived here.

Do you think it's about the right price at this point? Most of the houses in Willowbend that were on the market in 2006 are gone now. The guy has told me he's gotten a lot of good bites lately.

Jason

That extra thick texture is pretty cool. I guess it's plaster? Some cool things have been done for the house, and some things I think were great as they were.

Could it just be a lull in the market or is this house just cursed? It's been for sale for over a year (pre and post flip) of the 2 years since we've lived here.

Do you think it's about the right price at this point? Most of the houses in Willowbend that were on the market in 2006 are gone now. The guy has told me he's gotten a lot of good bites lately.

Jason

I think the terrible location is a killer. You can see the pawn shop from the front yard. I wasn't that impressed with the finish quality either.

flipper

I think the terrible location is a killer. You can see the pawn shop from the front yard. I wasn't that impressed with the finish quality either.

flipper

My reservation would be the risks of backing up to a floodway as this one does.

I wouldn't think the Pawn shop view would be that big of a deal, given that the only front facing windows appear to be in the kitchen, and given that the atrium fencing minimizes that view anyway.

I can see 2 big signs from my backyard. One is the furniture store sign that is lit all night for some reason. The other is a billboard that currently says "YES! to low prices". At least it's positive. The backyards on that side of the street are very quiet. I'm jealous of them. I can understand that the location is a tough sell though. I would love to see that strip center go away. That kind of strip center is not what Willowbend and it's $250K-$320K houses are about. I pretty much refuse to go to any of the businesses on S. Post Oak, aside from the occasional trip to Walgreens, the gas stations and Meineke which has been convenient considering I had to push my car there when the clutch went out. I would like to see that side street turned into an "exit only" street, or walled off altogether. A lot of unwanted traffic comes onto our street during rush hours from people looking for a short cut.

I have no worries about the bayou flooding behind us. It has been concreted in and didn't flood our house in Allison. Willow Meadows did flood in Allison, but hopefully the new detention basins will solve that as well.

Jason

My reservation would be the risks of backing up to a floodway as this one does.

I wouldn't think the Pawn shop view would be that big of a deal, given that the only front facing windows appear to be in the kitchen, and given that the atrium fencing minimizes that view anyway.