Home At 10901 Willowisp Dr.

Willowisp

Hi everyone,

A house on Willowisp just went up for sale. It is 2 doors down from the Jenkins house that was on the RDA tour. It is not a Jenkins house, but it has some definite mod influences. It is a relatively small house at 1700 sq. ft. but it has a nice wall of glass overlooking a cute backyard.

http://www.har.com/search/engine/indexdeta...=0&backButton=Y

It will take a lot of TLC though. It is definitely not move in ready, but I think it would be great for someone who is in the same boat as I was last year at this time. Someone looking for a mod fixer-upper close to the 610 should love it. And at just under $200K, you will have some wiggle room for repairs.

It has damaged hardwood floors, 80's carpet I would tear out in a heartbeat, not so hot kitchen laminate tile, and the master bedroom is in the front of the house instead of the back where I would prefer it. On the good side, I love the small lava rock courtyard in front of the house with a huge palm tree. The entryway tile is totally cute. The formica in the kitchen is pretty cool. I like the wood paneling in the living/dining area (though some might not), and the backyard is small and managable and borders on the bayou. If you bought it you would live close to one of the coolest cul de sacs in town (Briar Hollow Lane probably beats us out despite all the rebuilding going on there).

The same realtors that have 10111 Cliffwood have this one and they tend to do a lot of open houses, so be on the lookout for it to open again on a Sunday soon.

Jason

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The price on our neighbor's house came down 10K. I went and saw it for an open house again yesterday. I really hope a mod inclined buyer gets it.

The Pros:

A long wall of glass panels along the back looking out to the backyard.

3 average sized bedrooms.

Lava Rock Courtyard I mentioned last month.

Cons:

Needs work on hardwoods.

Some noise issues.

Possible foundation issues.

Electrical is old.

A larger house was totally reworked next door and sold for $250K about a year ago. This house seems like a pretty good deal to me, but I don't know what all the hidden costs are. It definitely has good 50's mod tendencies.

Jason

The price on our neighbor's house came down 10K. I went and saw it for an open house again yesterday. I really hope a mod inclined buyer gets it.

The Pros:

A long wall of glass panels along the back looking out to the backyard.

3 average sized bedrooms.

Lava Rock Courtyard I mentioned last month.

Cons:

Needs work on hardwoods.

Some noise issues.

Possible foundation issues.

Electrical is old.

A larger house was totally reworked next door and sold for $250K about a year ago. This house seems like a pretty good deal to me, but I don't know what all the hidden costs are. It definitely has good 50's mod tendencies.

Jason

You need to make sure that Realtor holds an open house the day of your Housewarming/Oscar Party.

Good idea!

Something very nice happened after my wife and I went and looked at the house. We told the realtor that we were neighbors just checking the house out and then when we left something must have clicked in his head because he came running out after us saying "I love the houses down at the end of the block!" and asked us for a tour of our house.

So we invited him to the open house. I'll have to suggest they do that. It would probably be 2-4, so people could go there first and then come to our house after...

Jason

You need to make sure that Realtor holds an open house the day of your Housewarming/Oscar Party.

My husband & I went and looked at this house today. We both really liked it. The only other con that was obvious to us (that Jason hadn't already mentioned) was that it definitely needs a new roof. We thought it looked like it was about that time, and the seller's disclosure thing does say it was new in May '79. So, yeah. Don't have enough knowledge to know about the foundation, etc. It all looks good, but I'm certainly no expert.

I agree with the courtyard in front, the entryway tile, & that living room all being huge pluses. I LOVE that formica in the kitchen. We also loved the pocket doors everywhere. It's got much more storage that we currently have, and all but one of the bedrooms are larger than our largest here, so how could we not love that?

Of course we also did the obligatory 'drive by & look' at the 3 Jenkins' - including your house, Jason, and from what we could see from the street - it's just lovely!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

They are putting a new roof on the house that is still for sale down the street from me. This house has been on the market since the beginning of the year and it troubles me because I wonder what it's going to take to sell our place when the time comes. I know our location is even less desirable than that one. I knew that going in. But I thought this other house would sell quickly. I'm sure there are other factors besides location on this one, but it's just discouraging to have the neighbor's house take so long to sell! I really think that the pros of the location (convenient to freeway) offset the cons of the location (so close to the freeway).

Anyway, if any of you out there buy it, I can definitely recommend my contractor to fix it up.

Jason

My husband & I went and looked at this house today. We both really liked it. The only other con that was obvious to us (that Jason hadn't already mentioned) was that it definitely needs a new roof. We thought it looked like it was about that time, and the seller's disclosure thing does say it was new in May '79. So, yeah. Don't have enough knowledge to know about the foundation, etc. It all looks good, but I'm certainly no expert.

I agree with the courtyard in front, the entryway tile, & that living room all being huge pluses. I LOVE that formica in the kitchen. We also loved the pocket doors everywhere. It's got much more storage that we currently have, and all but one of the bedrooms are larger than our largest here, so how could we not love that?

Of course we also did the obligatory 'drive by & look' at the 3 Jenkins' - including your house, Jason, and from what we could see from the street - it's just lovely!

They are putting a new roof on the house that is still for sale down the street from me. This house has been on the market since the beginning of the year and it troubles me because I wonder what it's going to take to sell our place when the time comes. I know our location is even less desirable than that one. I knew that going in. But I thought this other house would sell quickly. I'm sure there are other factors besides location on this one, but it's just discouraging to have the neighbor's house take so long to sell! I really think that the pros of the location (convenient to freeway) offset the cons of the location (so close to the freeway).

Anyway, if any of you out there buy it, I can definitely recommend my contractor to fix it up.

Jason

According to HAR it is PENDING CONTINUE TO SHOW.

• 4 weeks later...

I still haven't met the neighbors, but they look to be remuddling the house, beginning with putting "home depot" slate squares on the front of the house. I think they are going to try to flip it, but I'm not sure. It's not looking good from my angle, but I will withold judgement for now.

The SOLD sign just went up!

Time to meet the new neighbors. Could be flippers or could be people who plan to live there. I don't know yet. Hopefully I can talk them into keeping the charm of the house.

Jason

• 2 months later...
What's the commute time to downtown from this part of town?

S. Post Oak >610>288 is pretty durn quick. I rarely have to go during rush hour, but the few times i have it hasn't been too bad. Most people are heading west on 610 in the morning it seems.

flipper

I don't foresee that selling in that price range.

I think you're right. They highest price per foot I can recall in willowbend was 10525 Willowgrove. It was done "to the 9's" by a realtor/flipper.

It was 1766 sq ft and I believe they got 290k for it a year and a half ago.

Who knows though, If renovated houses will go for 180 a foot in willowbend now I know of 5 houses I'll buy tommorow :)

flipper

Too much "lipstick" on this one... lots of superficial finishes trying to make this property appear high end. Simplicity is something to aspire to. When you layer on too much of anything you deminish the architectural value and increase the all show but no substance quotent.

I'm not sure if there is any modernist value in this one as one would not want to back date it nor would one want it as a modern home. Overdone and over priced.

for those with children, those high windows in the bedroom are against code if this was being constructed today.

Well Music, at least tell the people WHY ? You got alot of people scratching their heads I'm sure.

Because of fires, they are too high for escape or for firefighters to gain access.

Well Music, at least tell the people WHY ? You got alot of people scratching their heads I'm sure.

Because of fires, they are too high for escape or for firefighters to gain access.

code says that the each bedroom must have two exits. yes, it was changed because of accessibility. i doubt i could fit either!

Edited by musicman

code says that the each bedroom must have two exits. yes, it was changed because of accessibility. i doubt i could fit either!

The high windows help out in this case. They help hide the view of the EZ Pawn on S. Post Oak, and keep your kids from escaping out into traffic.

;)

flipper

FYI - IT'S 10901 WILLOWISP, not 10910. If 10910 (flat roof Jenkins designed) goes on sale one of you has to buy it!

The sign just went up in the yard today. I have never ventured over to meet them. One of my neighbors said they were planning on flipping it. I actually saw about 6 cars there the other night so I assumed it was a housewarming party and maybe they were going to keep it instead of sell it.

I really do hope someone who loves what they've done with the house will buy it asap. It already sat there onsale 6 months in the past year. Many "mod lovers" had the chance to jump on it then and "keep it in the 50s", but for whatever reason it never sold. Timing is everything. If we had not already bought our house, I think that smaller house would have been almost perfect for us. But then maybe we wouldn't have had the same adventure we've had!

The house next door to them was redone 2 years ago and sold for about $250K. It's a little bigger and the other house had a total rewire. I don't know what they did electrically with this house, and I don't know if they reworked the foundation or not. I did see the new roof go on though.

Jason

Edited by Willowisp