Downtown Bryan Revitalization

Scotch

I am new to this forum as I only discovered it while searching another topic, and I'll start by saying I have no training in architecture, but I do enjoy keeping up with the growth, development and rehabilitaion of my hometown, Bryan, TX. Probably the most exciting progress has come about in our downtown.

Once neglected and overlooked, Downtown Bryan is now home to many great niche retaurants, cafes, entertainment venues and antique and furniture shops, as well as law offices and upscale residential lofts. The City of Bryan has not only spurred development and rehabilitation by working with private developers but proactively kick-started the face lift by buying and remodeling the LaSalle Hotel, which once used to be a blight right at the entrance of downtown from College Ave., which links downtown with Texas A&M University. While there are still some obstacles to a full revitalization(such as numerous train tracks and locations of services for the homeless), I believe things will only be getting better in downtown. Below are some pictures taken after streets were reconstructed:

My photo links quit working, but here is the link to Boris' thread of great Downtown Bryan photos.

Scotch, how do you like the old Manor East Mall now Tejas Center Development? It's nice isn't it? Bryan just needs some retail. We have nothing here but Wal-Mart and Beals. Everything else is in College Station what do you think about that? I am glade we will finally have a movie theater again! And Finaly with the new theater some "Chain Resturants!"

I heard the LaSalle went under from lack of business.  I have been to Halo, a big improvement over "The Club" and Club 202.

While the LaSalle does not earn money in the strict terms of a conventional hotel, the property is city-owned and the City of Bryan feels that the positive aspects of having the LaSalle more than make up for it being in the red. Basically, they do want the situation to improve, but I'm sure they would be fine with it simply breaking even, as the overall good it has done for downtown is a net plus.

Club 202 is a bit before my time, but yes Halo is a step up from "The Club", though it would be cool if there was a hang out bar down there as well. B)

Scotch, how do you like the old Manor East Mall now Tejas Center Development? It's nice isn't it? Bryan just needs some retail. We have nothing here but Wal-Mart and Beals. Everything else is in College Station what do you think about that? I am glade we will finally have a movie theater again! And Finaly with the new theater some "Chain Resturants!"
I could create 10 topics about various aspects of Bryan-College Station development. Manor East Mall should have been torn down at least 15 years ago. The placement of Post Oak Mall set Bryan back 20 years in my opinion. The mall was originally supposed to be at the corner of Hwy. 6(East Bypass) and Briarcrest, at the time this was along the geographic center of the two cites, of course now that line has shifted a few miles south, however the owner would not sell the land. I think the guy is finally ready to sell the land before he meets St. Peter, but I'll believe it when I see it...

Anyway, back to the Tejas Center. While it is cool the HEB will be a very large one,(for a while they were considering making it the largest in Texas), I had really hoped for more big box retail, in other words, stores that would produce much needed tax revenue. Also, the alignment is odd. HEB will face Villa Maria and leave behind it a huge amount of land in front of the old Walmart(facing Texas Ave)... I have my fingers crossed that a suitable store goes in there, and also that some restaurants locate in that area.

I am probably most excited by the fact that Hasting's will be expanded:

TejasHastings.jpg

I think KOHL'S would be good for the old Wal-Mart building, But the building is really far from the road.

I wish the do something really big on the Westside of town like a shopping center or something. there is No place to eat or shop on this side of town.

Don't you think that we need to get more bussinesses in Bryan like College Station is doing. They have everything! And I'm thinking Bryan is so far behind that it's to late to catch up with College Station. Everyday I see signs say Hotel comming soon, or retail shopping comming soon, and it is all in College Station. This hurts when you see smaller towns like Huntsivlle with a more varity of retail then Bryan. WHY????

Believe me citykid09, I feel your pain. I am 28 years old so I remember when things were much different. I attended church in College Station so I got to hear their views of Bryan over the years. About 18-20 years ago some one said, "Why is it that whenever something bad happens they(media) say it is Bryan/College Station but whenever something good happens they say Bryan". Funny huh? Imagine a College Stationite thinking that today...

I remember a time when College Station did not have a mall, no funeral home, no hospital, no Target and just one or two chain restaurants. Things can change, and in my opinion Bryan has been on the upswing since the mid-90's, but it will be a while before we are no longer the stepchild of College Station. Below I will go through what happened to Bryan's growth in terms of College Station and why things are getting better:

First off, what went wrong?

1. Post Oak Mall located in College Station in the mid-80's; as I mentioned above, this was to be a Bryan mall, but the landowner was unwilling to sell.

2. White Flight; This is bold on my part to say, but I firmly believe that much of the growth of College Station is due to middle income Bryanites and incoming residents choosing to live in College Station to avoid the racially diverse BISD.

3. Zoning and city planning; Bryan did not have zoning until 1989, obviously the city is still recovering from the haphazzard development prior to that time. Also, some of the best would be retail areas are residential. Take a look at Texas Ave, between Rosemary and Villa Maria. The business lots facing Texas Ave are lucky to be 100 feet deep because the city had grown toward A&M from the 40's through the 70's, when lots of that size were suitable for businesses of the day, while in College Station a horse pasture sat undeveloped until the early 90's when Target moved in.

Close call: Movement of car dealerships to the East Bypass(aka Rudder Fwy., aka Hwy. 6).

All of the car dealerships, aside from Honda, used to be on Texas Ave. in Bryan. After all was said and done, only Ford and Nissan crossed the city border in the move to the bypass, Bryan kept the rest. Also Saturn built in Bryan. Had Bryan lost more dealerships, the tax situation would be even more dire.

What has and is going right for Bryan:

1. Traditions Golf Club and development: a seemingly big risk by the Bryan City Council in the late 1990's has turned into a grand slam home run. Forward thinking city leaders realized that as long as only College Station had available high-end development, those seeking high-end homes would locate there. Now Bryan, Texas is the home of Texas A&M golf and finally has a large-scale planned upscale housing development. On the other side of town, Don Adam's Miramont development includes another private golf course(bringing the total to three in Bryan, plus one public course), with one of the nation's largest country clubs. Dennis Francione, head football coach at Texas A&M, will soon call Miramont and Bryan home. With these housing developments, retail will follow.

2. Downtown Bryan revitalization; the topic of this thread can truly do much to make Bryan realize its full potential. College Station is wanting to build a municipal and cultural city center area from scratch, Bryan already has a historic one.

3. Blinn College chose Bryan as its main base in Brazos County. Though there were probably other locations that would have created better economic benifits for Bryan(such as locations with available land for new retail), this has been an overall win for Bryan.

4. City leaders know that they need to kick start development and not wait around for College Station to receive all the spoils of having Texas A&M at their doorstep. Most of Bryan is closer to A&M than College Station's Pebble Creek, there is no reason why Bryan cannot succeed. This new way of thinking has brought us the Tejas Center and when the private sector sees that a city truly wants as area to thrive, they are much more eager to locate there.

I heard that we are geting a Hotters here. I also heard that Papa's Burgers was going to go into the Red Lobster location and Red Lobster was looking for a new location. Mabe they will come to Bryan, though I don't think that will happen.

TGI Friday's should locate in Bryan since we don't have one.

I think that downtown Bryan could use some namebrand retail. But in my opinion I do not like downtown Bryan, it has always given me a bad vibe. If you think about it there is nothing there and the ammediate sourroundings are slums.

Friday's is hurting bad. You won't see one of those in Bryan, but if you don't already have an Applebee's you might see one of those popping up soon. I think there's already a Chili's there, isn't there? Applebee's like to draft in on the demographics paid for by Chili's initially and set up shop closeby.

Bryan will not improve by name-brand retail and restaurants coming to town, they will come to town once Bryan has improved. Hooters might make it here(in Bryan), and a good location would be accross Old College from the Chicken Oil Company, with Carney's Pub a few lots away. The location of the trailer park is a goldmine for retail and high-end apartments. It is a stones throw from Texas A&M, and already students travel College Ave. to go to Chicken Oil, Carney, and the other clubs down the street.

Applebee's would be in Bryan if it was on the other side of the street, but because the way the city limit lines are drawn, it is in CS. In order for there to be alot of restaurants in Bryan I feel that the east side of Texas Ave. needs to be leveled three houses deep from Rosemary to Villa Maria. Most of that area is closer to Texas A&M than Harvey Rd., and a bulldozer would do wonders there.

I drove through downtown Bryan the other night, and was amazed. I had been to a get-together at a professor's house on 28th St., and he had talked about the downtown revitalization. He had this incredible theory that the reason people want to visit these antique shops and restore the past is that they want to return to a society of white supremacy - that the whole Main St. movement across America is essentially racist. I couldn't believe it. That's what you get from a liberal English professor.

He also said that a lot of Bryan's best old houses were destroyed. Apparently 28th St. was once lined with Victorian mansions, and now they're all gone. I guess the lack of zoning had a lot to do with it.

Anyway, downtown blew me away - I didn't think they'd ever get it that nice (I lived here previously in the late 90's). I think there needs to be something at the end of the main street (what's it called?), facing down. It's kind of anti-climactic, not having anything there. The site is perfect for a courthouse or some other type of govt. building. Imagine if you had something like the A&M Administration building there!

What's this about College Station wanting to build a town center? They should keep adding to Northgate.

I don't make it to Bryan often, but really enjoyed driving around that night. It has so much more "feel" than College Station does, which is very bland and sterile. You guys should be proud of that.

What's this about College Station wanting to build a town center?  They should keep adding to Northgate.

"College Station approves concept for City Center

November 24, 2004 0:19 AM

The College Station City Council approved a concept plan Tuesday for the City Center, with a 20-acre lake and lakeside walkways envisioned to complement the complex of governmental buildings.

The City Center will be located on 70 acres between Texas Avenue, Earl Rudder Freeway South, Krenek Tap Road and Harvey Mitchell Parkway South. The plan positions a three-story, 61,000-square-foot city hall and about a 70,000-square-foot performing arts center near a roundabout in the center of the property, along the future Dartmouth Drive extension.

The plan also calls for a circular, tree-lined promenade lining the street-level lakeshore. Dartmouth would cross the lake via a causeway-style bridge, with four lanes of traffic and walkways with benches and lampposts.

A community center with meeting rooms and recreational facilities would be located closer to Central Park and the city

I drove through downtown Bryan the other night, and was amazed.  I had been to a get-together at a professor's house on 28th St., and he had talked about the downtown revitalization. 

...He also said that a lot of Bryan's best old houses were destroyed.  Apparently 28th St. was once lined with Victorian mansions, and now they're all gone.  I guess the lack of zoning had a lot to do with it.

Which side of Texas Ave. were you on? It is fairly hard to get to, but I believe that 28th St. north of downtown still has many Victorian houses, but many need some TLC. Was the street you were on divided by railroad tracks?
Anyway, downtown blew me away - I didn't think they'd ever get it that nice (I lived here previously in the late 90's).  I think there needs to be something at the end of the main street (what's it called?), facing down.  It's kind of anti-climactic, not having anything there.  The site is perfect for a courthouse or some other type of govt. building.  Imagine if you had something like the A&M Administration building there!
The main street is Main Street B) , and there are plans for a distinctive marker at the entrance from College Ave. on the the south, but the governmental buildings are and are likely to remain a few blocks east. I do like your idea of a new Courthouse there though. Bryan once had a stately Courthouse but it was torn down decades ago for something more "modern" and much more ugly...

Well, that's a shame that they tore down their courthouse. Always hard to replace your most significant piece of architecture - although they did good to save that Carnegie Library.

I was west of downtown on 28th. The professor's house I was at was built in 1916, but wasn't really Victorian - just a big two-story house. He said that whole street was lined with Victorians, but they're gone. He acted like Bryan as a whole wasn't preserved very well.

I was a block over from the street with the railroad tracks. Love that street!

• 2 weeks later...

Downtown parking divides businesses

By SOMMER HAMILTON

Eagle Staff Writer

112104parking.jpg

Bryan officials hoping to combat concerns over downtown parking congestion broke ground last week on a new lot, but merchants remain embroiled in a debate over how best to regulate the more convenient on-street spaces.

A handful of downtown restaurant and store owners say the limited amount of on-street parking in front of and behind their businesses needs to be regulated as 90-minute or two-hour spaces.

That, the retailers say, will ensure that employees and owners at neighboring offices, clinics and schools in the mixed-use downtown area do not park all day in valuable on-street spots. They told the City Council last month that a lack of adequate parking

Developers' work in downtown Bryan hailed

By SOMMER HAMILTON

Eagle Staff Writer

121504developers.jpg

Eagle photo/Butch Ireland

Real estate developers Michael Schaefer and Zane Anderson were recognized Tuesday for their work renovating downtown Bryan.

The development team of Zane Anderson and Michael Schaefer was honored Tuesday with the fifth Mayor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

ARTICLE: The Eagle

Bryan to hear report on downtown parking

By APRIL AVISON

Eagle Staff Writer

Bryan merchants are anxious to hear recommendations for a solution to downtown parking troubles that will be delivered by Assistant Police Chief Pete Scheets at a City Council workshop meeting Tuesday.

Zarape Restaurant manager Tony Mauricio said he will be among the spectators Tuesday waiting to hear the presentation.

• 3 weeks later...

Which side of Texas Ave. were you on? It is fairly hard to get to, but I believe that 28th St. north of downtown still has many Victorian houses, but many need some TLC. Was the street you were on divided by railroad tracks?

Hi, I'm from Bryan and have been keeping an eye on the revitalization of Downtown Bryan. I came across this forum and thought it would be great to become a member. I read about the Victorian Houses and wanted to let you know that there are still several standing. There is one on 26th called Astin Mansion. They just renovated the building and are now open for major/private functions. It's absolutely gorgeous. There website is: www.astinmansion.com

Also... there's another place that just was bought and converted to a B&B. It's called the Milton-PArker House & it's off of 28th street and sits on 4 acres. Both of these houses are east of the main part of Historic Downtown. Also, there is a group called downtown Bryan Economic Development Association, Inc (DBEDA) and their website is www.downtownbryan.com Their main focus is on the revitalization of Downtown and they have been doing a fine job. I believe they have an application on-line to become a friend/member of the assoc. if you wish. They really brought things to Downtown during the Christmas Holidays... there was even a horse-dran carriage service!! From what I understand the horse-drawn carriage rides are still going on on Friday nights from the LaSalle Hotel. Anyway..... I just thought I would add a little information to the mix. I look forward to chatting with everyone.

Thank you

Welcome shadow99 I am also from Bryan. There are about 4 others from our area (Bryan/College Station). What do you think about all the development in College Station and almost none in Bryan. We are getting 2 new McDonalds though one at 2818 and Villamira, and the old one at highway 21 is being rebuilt. Also Tejas center and more of those god damn Dollar Generals. Thats all Bryan can ever look foward to is dollars stores, because other business just don't think Bryan is worth of any thing else.

Welcome shadow99 I am also from Bryan. There are about 4 others from our area (Bryan/College Station). What do you think about all the development in College Station and almost none in Bryan. We are getting 2 new McDonalds though one at 2818 and Villamira, and the old one at highway 21 is being rebuilt. Also Tejas center and more of those god damn Dollar Generals. Thats all Bryan can ever look foward to is dollars stores, because other business just don't think Bryan is worth of any thing else.

It's getting better and better. The new HEB is not Central Market, but it is a HUGE step forward. Also, our company will complete nearly $2 million in downtown investment by the end of '05.

Hi, I'm from Bryan and have been keeping an eye on the revitalization of Downtown Bryan. I came across this forum and thought it would be great to become a member. I read about the Victorian Houses and wanted to let you know that there are still several standing. There is one on 26th called Astin Mansion. They just renovated the building and are now open for major/private functions. It's absolutely gorgeous. There website is: www.astinmansion.com

Also... there's another place that just was bought and converted to a B&B. It's called the Milton-PArker House & it's off of 28th street and sits on 4 acres. Both of these houses are east of the main part of Historic Downtown. Also, there is a group called downtown Bryan Economic Development Association, Inc (DBEDA) and their website is www.downtownbryan.com Their main focus is on the revitalization of Downtown and they have been doing a fine job. I believe they have an application on-line to become a friend/member of the assoc. if you wish. They really brought things to Downtown during the Christmas Holidays... there was even a horse-dran carriage service!! From what I understand the horse-drawn carriage rides are still going on on Friday nights from the LaSalle Hotel. Anyway..... I just thought I would add a little information to the mix. I look forward to chatting with everyone.

Thank you

THANK YOU FOR YOUR FEEDBACK ABOUT THE ASTIN MANSION. IT'S A GREAT BUILDING. ONE NOTE... IT IS A GEORGIAN REVIVAL STYLE HOME INSTEAD OF VICTORIAN. THE ARCHITECT WAS FROM DALLAS... CAN'T RECALL THE NAME.

Archived