Uh Oh, this doesnt seem to be politically correct

Houston1stWordOnTheMoon

Can you clarify the question or give a senario example? I wanna make sure I understand for sure b4 I answer...

scenario: you applied for a job at UH along with someone who became a naturalized citizen. But the naturalized citizen got the job because he/she also knew another language. how would you react?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
scenario: you applied for a job at UH along with someone who became a naturalized citizen. But the naturalized citizen got the job because he/she also knew another language. how would you react?

In that case, I'd apply for Texas A&M :D

Seriously, I would understand not getting that job. The other person had more to offer than I did. If we both had the same credentials, but the other person were bilingual and I wasn't, how could I offer UH more?

My reaction would be that I should pay more attention to this Learn Spanish CD set that is sitting on my desk. Since UH, like many universities tries to attract foreign students, it is incumbent upon them to make the university more appealing to those students. Having bi-lingual employees helps UH further it's mission.

On a similar note, McDonalds, Microsoft, Ford and GM need bi-lingual employees to further their profitable foreign divisions. Those with more education generally have a leg up on the competition.

My reaction would be that I should pay more attention to this Learn Spanish CD set that is sitting on my desk. Since UH, like many universities tries to attract foreign students, it is incumbent upon them to make the university more appealing to those students. Having bi-lingual employees helps UH further it's mission.

On a similar note, McDonalds, Microsoft, Ford and GM need bi-lingual employees to further their profitable foreign divisions. Those with more education generally have a leg up on the competition.

But DJ would be left on the street. LOL

In that case, I'd apply for Texas A&M :D

Seriously, I would understand not getting that job. The other person had more to offer than I did. If we both had the same credentials, but the other person were bilingual and I wasn't, how could I offer UH more?

bring your black makeup. might get you a raise.

As more cities across the US rush to memorialize their xenophobia in law, we will continue to see an increase in articles like this one.

Decline in International Visitors Worries Travel Executives

We are only cutting off our own noses to spite our face. While I am not surprised that there are many Americans that call for knee-jerk reactions to everything, one would at least expect those in government whose JOB it is to encourage foreign travel (Visas are issued by the Secretary of State) would display a level of intelligence just slightly above that of the Minutemen.

Apparently, that is asking too much.

The people that put that report together must not travel often. Im on a plane upwards of 50 times a year traveling between the United Kingdom- Germany- and the USA and im telling you for a fact the flights are full!! The transAtlantic market is growing by leaps and bounds. The airlines cannot seem to add service and seats across the Atlantic fast enough. The euro and the pound being above the dollar in value is another reason theres such a surge in travel to the USA from the EU. Thier money can go further and this country is a safe harbor to tour, relax and vacation in. For example, the flights i take to Manchester , England are about 90% or better British citizens!!!

I think that it is completely STUPID to treat our foreign visitors to our country as criminals while leaving the border wide open for any jackass to cross unchallenged. Some very backward thinking in this country. Have you seen the list of countries with visa restrictions to the USA? Theres a damn good reason for that!!!

You don't have to know the language to live in a foriegn country to live there or make a deal.

Not entirely true. In some countries you must learn the official language in order to get a residency visa. In other words, to "live there" legally.

It's my understanding that a working knowledge of Spanish is also a requirement to become a Mexican citizen.

Not entirely true. In some countries you must learn the official language in order to get a residency visa. In other words, to "live there" legally.

You're right. Some, not all though. Depends on the individual country.

It's my understanding that a working knowledge of Spanish is also a requirement to become a Mexican citizen.

I'm not too aware of Mexico's laws for citizenship (I've been deported from Mexico once. Kinda embarassing). But I am aware that a lot of rich American dudes and dudettes own property and/or business in Mexico. What documentation they needed, I don't know. But

What I do know is that this is America, a country that prides itself as one with all ethnicity, races, culture, and languages within. Our laws should be different than other nations when it comes to expressing culture. I agree with the debate on documentation, but restricting multi-language in anyway is crippling.

Example: a lot of my business associates are from/live in the Netherlands. It's a VERY open society there, and it's location to so many other European nations make it an advantage to know another language. As a result, a lot of them speak 6-7 different languages fluently, which is a major advantage for them over me when it comes to local OR international business. I'm still working on becoming tri-lingual. Where does the advantage come into play for Americans if one day we said "no other language but English should be spoken in the American workforce"? How do we practice? It's a major advantage to know more languages and using those skills in the work place, especially when it comes to international business.

The language of the USA is english, period! Most people around the world in business will speak english or know enough english to get by. Thats a direct result from US dominance around the globe. Im not so quick to damn us to adapt to other peoples in our own land. That said, i am multi-lingual and so are my wife and kids and mother and father. My wife is from Ethiopia and her primary language is arabic. My mother is from Israel and her primary language if hebrew. You will never catch them speaking anything other than english outside of the house. They came to America to be American and not to hold on to thier way of life from thier countries of origin!!! In America english is where its at! Learn the language and stop the bull! Anyone immigrating to this country to be anything other than American needs to be shown the door and given a swift kick in the ass for good measure!!

...... but restricting multi-language in anyway is crippling.

Example: a lot of my business associates are from/live in the Netherlands. It's a VERY open society there, and it's location to so many other European nations make it an advantage to know another language. As a result, a lot of them speak 6-7 different languages fluently, which is a major advantage for them over me when it comes to local OR international business. I'm still working on becoming tri-lingual. Where does the advantage come into play for Americans if one day we said "no other language but English should be spoken in the American workforce"? How do we practice? It's a major advantage to know more languages and using those skills in the work place, especially when it comes to international business.

they are not restricting languages......they are saying that business should be done in one language. i'm sure your business associates don't sign a contract in multiple languages but a common one. of course in the meeting if they need to use another language they can. when i worked with foreign customers, the common language was english, but if someone needed more explanation, they went into their native language. but all paperwork was in english.

in schools here in the 50's you couldn't speak other languages as my mom tells me. but it sure helped her learn english by being taught in english.

No casabas?!

Have they all had mastectomies? :unsure:

Heights2 is demostrating proper 21st century-speak. Saying "juevos" would infer a male-oriented decision making hierarchy, which might be offensive to women.

I like it. I can't wait to use it on my hispanic ex. :)

These towns are sick of the US not doing anything about the cheaters who pile in and drag down neighborhoods so they've decided to do something themselves. There might be some xenophobes and racists in the crowd that supports these laws but when will Americans be able to simply make clear observations and state objections to what they see happening without being called racist?

The language of the USA is english, period! Most people around the world in business will speak english or know enough english to get by. Thats a direct result from US dominance around the globe. Im not so quick to damn us to adapt to other peoples in our own land. That said, i am multi-lingual and so are my wife and kids and mother and father. My wife is from Ethiopia and her primary language is arabic. My mother is from Israel and her primary language if hebrew. You will never catch them speaking anything other than english outside of the house. They came to America to be American and not to hold on to thier way of life from thier countries of origin!!! In America english is where its at! Learn the language and stop the bull! Anyone immigrating to this country to be anything other than American needs to be shown the door and given a swift kick in the ass for good measure!!

Yea, but this is America, not England. We whooped their ass, like, over 250 years ago. (No offense, Brits. U know I love ya.) We should be proud of our multi-culture/multi language availabilites. English is the most popular and most used language in America. That's a given. And anyone that comes to America to visit or work should have enough common sense to realize that knowing English will open many doors here.

That being said, knowing another country's language is a major door-opener in itself. I'm still studying Korean, for example. After living there for so long, I know 1st hand that it's HARD to make a business deal without knowledge of the language. As Americans, we shouldn't just get arrogant and assume that other nations can't eventually pass us by in the economic world. We HAVE to stay competitive, we HAVE to keep learning, and we HAVE to keep striving. Don't get lax, yo.

I prefer huevos......

All right, maestro. I'll work on my Spanish spelling.

See, even our slang is now bilingual. I'm an American citizen, dammit! :lol:

The language of the USA is english, period!

No it's not. Period. The United States has no official language. Period.

So this thread is just another rant and rave that will disappear in 3 days? Probably. Wouldn't it just be easier if those who are xenophobic stand up and say it proud and out loud?

It will be interesting to watch Farmers Branch go bankrupt as they attempt to "screen suspects in police custody to check their immigration status." I wonder why they're letting employers off the hook as well? And then there's the English as official language thing. It's a long, expensive climb to the Supreme Court. I hope Farmersville is holding back what little-if any-cash they'll have left over from investigating locked-up immigrants to fight those court fights.

And then there's the English as official language thing.

Actually, I got a big kick out of this one. Finally, bids for new playground equipment will go out in a language we can understand!

BTW, all you English Only and No illegals guys ought to love this. The councilman who proposed all of these ultra right-wing faves is none other than a PERSONAL INJURY LAWYER!

I think he's just sucking up to Republicans to try to get the medical malpractice lawsuit caps reversed. :D

All right, maestro. I'll work on my Spanish spelling.

See, even our slang is now bilingual. I'm an American citizen, dammit! :lol:

^

^

^

He speaks spanish better than me! i promise! but my spanish teacher said that i'm better than the native spanish speakers at the grammar.

English is the language of the land, period! Start letting that change and many here will be at a disadvantage in our own land! Anyone that doesnt know or believe english is the language of this land is a complete and stupid jackass to and through the core and have no knowledge of proper immigration requirements of this country!!!!!

English is the language of the land, period! Start letting that change and many here will be at a disadvantage in our own land! Anyone that doesnt know or believe english is the language of this land is a complete and stupid jackass to and through the core and have no knowledge of proper immigration requirements of this country!!!!!

Oh. Now it's the language of the "land" whereas before it was the language of the USA? Period? Which land? When-and if-you sober up, come back and tell us which one it is. In the meantime, I'll be scouring the "land" to find another complete and stupid jackass-besides yourself-that believes a word of what you just posted.

Well reasoned response. The 5 exclamation points is what sold me.

Oh. Now it's the language of the "land" whereas before it was the language of the USA? Period? Which land? When-and if-you sober up, come back and tell us which one it is. In the meantime, I'll be scouring the "land" to find another complete and stupid jackass-besides yourself-that believes a word of what you just posted.

You obviously have nothing to add as usual. Stay away! You and your comments are about as worthess as a putrid pile of old meat. You should just kill yourself. You have lived on this planet for over half a century and you dont have the common knowlege of a knat.

Hows your health by the way?

Since you dont think english is the language of this country i wouldnt mind continuing speaking to your abnormal ass in hebrew german and russian, my arabic isnt so good.

You need to quit following me around this board like some stupid and dumb jaded school girl and get your health situation under control! Even the profoundly retarded moves on at some point.

If you have nothing to add, its ok to just shut the hell up!!!!!

You obviously have nothing to add as usual. Stay away! You and your comments are about as worthess as a putrid pile of old meat. You should just kill yourself. You have lived on this planet for over half a century and you dont have the common knowlege of a knat.

The AIDS is chronic but under control; I think I'm going to get a provisional clear bill of health this month in regards to my brain cancer, they removed the plate from my skull awhile ago [and you guys thought I was kidding!] and my hair has pretty much grown back in.

Thanks for asking.

Since you dont think english is the language of this country

It still isn't-no matter how many times you say it is.

i wouldnt mind continuing speaking to your abnormal ass in hebrew german and russian, my arabic isnt so good

Don't bother. I don't understand any of those languages.

You need to quit following me around this board like some stupid and dumb jaded school girl and get your health situation under control!

See current health description above.

Since you dont think english is the language of this country i wouldnt mind continuing speaking to your abnormal ass in hebrew german and russian, my arabic isnt so good.

You need to quit following me around this board like some stupid and dumb jaded school girl and get your health situation under control! Even the profoundly retarded moves on at some point.

If I were a moderator, I would ban you from the board for this below the belt attack on someone, who merely pointed out that you were wrong in your statement.

Since I am not a moderator, I will simply do the next best thing, which is to never respond to you again. I hope the others on the board do the same.

Your beligerant, violent and neoconservative views give you no more right to make personal attacks than anyone else.

Calm down, dude. If he really gets under your skin that much, you can set him to "ignore."

You certainly are one poor excuse for a human being.

You certainly are one poor excuse for a human being.

This is a personal attack, i want the board police to arrest!!!!!!

If I were a moderator, I would ban you from the board for this below the belt attack on someone, who merely pointed out that you were wrong in your statement.

Since I am not a moderator, I will simply do the next best thing, which is to never respond to you again. I hope the others on the board do the same.

Your beligerant, violent and neoconservative views give you no more right to make personal attacks than anyone else.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Well...can we all at least agree the US has no official language? ;)

BTW, I've been called worse by better than u-no-hoo so it's no sweat for me.

However, he may want to think twice in the future before asking personal questions he may not be prepared to hear answered.

Archived