8102 Colgate

rps324

I am finally dragging this little piggy to market. It has taken a while. There is some kind of history on the house and I am trying to lay my hands on some copies of the old archives. I have talked with a former owner, who is an Architect, and supposedly he has copies of things from when the house was in the newspaper and a magazine. Supposedly it won some kind of award in 1962 from what I was told. I am eager to get the details.

It is a very cool house. It has a good size atrium in the middle and huge rooms with vaulted ceilings. There is some crown molding and some skylights that have been covered, but all are things that can be fixed. Its a really nice lot with the circle drive. 3875 sq ft according to HCAD. Its listed for $259,900

IMG_0104-1.jpg

Unfortunately I don't have very good pics yet. I am going to send a professional photographer out later, but when I was there they had things piled up in a lot of rooms so I couldn't really get good pictures. I only got a couple.

Here is one of the entry. The house still has the original escutcheon plates & doorknobs on the front. Huge prismatic glass panels that flank the front door, and the windows overlook the atrium.

IMG_1432.jpg

The one living room shot I have is dark. It has hardwoods, and overlooks the atrium. There are original built ins on one wall with built in speakers.

IMG_1430.jpg

The baths are pretty original & large. There are 3 bedrooms, formals, a den & a study.

Yeah, those kinds of homes are disappearing from many West side areas as people choose to build large, new houses in several subdivisions. Mod lovers may need to seek the homes on the East side and in Sharpstown/Westbury.

This particular house, BTW, is zoned to Cornelius ES, Ortiz MS, and Chavez HS in Houston ISD.

Yes, if it's Dr. Boyles' office. He was definitely in that block and it looks like the outside of his building. Only way to check would be to call his relatives, I suppose--his nephew is a dentist in Alvin.

It has always been a house, not an office. There is an office bldg on Colgate with an atrium right near Bellfort, could that be it?

Yes, if it's Dr. Boyles' office. He was definitely in that block and it looks like the outside of his building. Only way to check would be to call his relatives, I suppose--his nephew is a dentist in Alvin.

The 1966 directory listing for Dr. Carl L. Boyles shows him at 4130 Colgate as of 1962. HCAD shows 4130 Colgate as a large single family residence built in 1930 on almost two acres.

The Dentist office on Colgate I remember was one or two houses from Bellfort and was Dr. Fairley's orthodontist office. I saw him for many years. His associate was Dr. Lebow and they moved their practice to Friendswood around 1990 I think. The houses at the other end of Colgate were very nice. I had several friends who lived around there. One was the first house on the right after you crossed Sims Bayou on Broadway heading towards Hobby Airport. The Murchisons lived there and the house faced into the neighborhood but had a rear entrance onto Broadway. Big house, big lot and it even had a small guest house type structure. Mr. Murchison owned Whirlwind Steel Building Company back then.

The Dentist office on Colgate I remember was one or two houses from Bellfort and was Dr. Fairley's orthodontist office. I saw him for many years. His associate was Dr. Lebow and they moved their practice to Friendswood around 1990 I think. The houses at the other end of Colgate were very nice. I had several friends who lived around there. One was the first house on the right after you crossed Sims Bayou on Broadway heading towards Hobby Airport. The Murchisons lived there and the house faced into the neighborhood but had a rear entrance onto Broadway. Big house, big lot and it even had a small guest house type structure. Mr. Murchison owned Whirlwind Steel Building Company back then.

Oh wow! My mother was wondering what happened to the Fairleighs. Dr. Fairleigh's daughter went to Sterling with us.

• 4 weeks later...
You're not likely to find a 3875 sq ft house like this in Westbury as far as I know.

The closest big houses are in Meyerland and almost double the price. And some of them probably have flooding issues.

Is this one in Glenbrook going to be open any time soon?

Jason

This one is going to be open Sunday 2 to 4. 7911 Santa Elena is also going to be open, along with a couple of others. I think a couple of other agents are also going to have some houses open, so there may be several to look at this Sunday.

You are correct. My dentist Dr. Percy Butcher was in that building in the late 70s early 80s. before he moved to I45. It is almost across the street from the old Southeast Memorial Hospital if I remember right.

That is a great house. I also love that type of architecture. I always refered to them as 60s executive homes, I don't know what the official style is. There are a lot of them in that area between Bellfort and Santa Elena.

joe

My dentist Dr. Percy Butcher was in that building in the late 70s early 80s. before he moved to I45. It is almost across the street from the old Southeast Memorial Hospital if I remember right.joe

If Dr. Butcher was the one with 2 sons and a daughter, he recently passed away. His daughter now teaches in Pearland, I believe.

My father practiced medicine at Memorial Southeast (his office was on Howard at the Gulf Freeway). Many times I waited for him in the Southeast emergency room....

• 1 month later...

Archived