Oldest Buildings In Houston

SunKing

I posted some of this info in the Images of old Houston thread, but I thought it deserves a thread of it's own. What are the oldest buildings still standing in Houston? I know there must be more in the downtown area - here's what I've been able to find so far:

1) If my research is correct, the oldest building still standing in Houston is located at 813 Congress (LaCarafe) built around 1845.

2) Second oldest building - the Travis Building (TreeBeards) built around 1870

3) Annunciation Church - dedicated in 1871.

4) The Cotton Exchange Building - built in 1885.

....others?

1) If my research is correct, the oldest building still standing in Houston is located at 813 Congress (LaCarafe) built around 1845.

For what it's worth, the Houston Architectural Guide lists 813 Congress as being built in 1861.

Do houses count? Many of the buildings in Sam Houston Park date back to the mid-19th century. Old Place dates to about 1825 and the Kellum-Noble House dates to 1847.

Actually, the guide says the Kellum-Noble house is the oldest surviving building in Houston.

For what it's worth, the Houston Architectural Guide lists 813 Congress as being built in 1861.

Do houses count? Many of the buildings in Sam Houston Park date back to the mid-19th century. Old Place dates to about 1825 and the Kellum-Noble House dates to 1847.

Actually, the guide says the Kellum-Noble house is the oldest surviving building in Houston.

Listed on the National Register for Historic Places the Kennedy Trading Post was built in 1847 by Nathaniel Kellum, one of Houston's early developers. And he moved from Houston in 1850, so there are conflicting dates as to when the Kennedy Building @ 813 Congress was built.

landmark1.gif

LaCarafe was rebuilt in 1860 as were the Foley buildings behind it on Travis. Contrary to popular belief, Treebeard's was also built in 1860 or 1861. The iron facade of the Pillot building is the original 1861 ironwork. The Warren's Inn/Duke of Hollywood building was built in 1868.

There are a couple of 1870's buildings, but I can't recall which ones off the top of my head. The Stuart Buildings on Main (around 306-312) were built in 1881-82.

I'll pull my files and give the whole list and exact dates when I get the chance.

Also found at http://www.houstonhistory.com/poduct2/album3/jsalbum.html

Eugene Pillot House, 1803 McKinney Avenue at Chenevert Street. Built in 1868 and moved to Sam Houston Park in 1965. Extant.

PillotHouse.jpg

Jedidiah Porter Waldo House and Garden, 1213 Rusk Avenue at Caroline Street. Built in 1884-85, moved to 210 Westmoreland, and remodeled in 1904-1905. Extant, George E. Dickey, architect.

WaldoHouse.jpg

And there is the house I used to live in located in Montrose, 4104 Greeley @ W. Main- presently Robin's Nest Bed & Breakfast at http://www.therobin.com/history.shtml. You can also get additional information from a 1970's article from Houston Home & Garden in the SEARS AT SOUTH MAIN thread here at HAIF.

MyMontroseHome.jpg

You can find this photo at http://www.therobin.com/history.shtml.

LaCarafe was rebuilt in 1860 as were the Foley buildings behind it on Travis. Contrary to popular belief, Treebeard's was also built in 1860 or 1861. The iron facade of the Pillot building is the original 1861 ironwork. The Warren's Inn/Duke of Hollywood building was built in 1868.

There are a couple of 1870's buildings, but I can't recall which ones off the top of my head. The Stuart Buildings on Main (around 306-312) were built in 1881-82.

I'll pull my files and give the whole list and exact dates when I get the chance.

warren's and duke's are different buildings....

211 Travis or is it 112 Travis (Spy Club building) is the 3rd oldest building in Houston, from what I have been told by previous owners.

That was built in the 1890's as the Dickson or Dixon Wheel works. I forget which Dixon/Dixon was located there. There was another Dixon/Dickson building in another part of the district.

For those interested, I worked for the hisotirc district for many years and spent a good part of that time researching the buildings. I just wanted you to know that I'm not pulling this info out of my butt!

warren's and duke's are different buildings....

They were built as one building but were "seperated" over the years. If you look closely at the brickwork, it's obvious that the two buildings were one.

I'll have to talk to mike shapiro and carolyn wenglar on friday.

Tell Mike hello from Neuman. If he doesn't remember the name, tell him it's the historic district guy with the Fedora. I haven't seen him for years.

Carolyn, on the other hand, should know me - I see her enough!

Tell Mike hello from Neuman. If he doesn't remember the name, tell him it's the historic district guy with the Fedora. I haven't seen him for years.

Carolyn, on the other hand, should know me - I see her enough!

Mike's been sick....but he's still workin.

Where do you see carolyn? La Carafe or Warrens? if it's at warren's i may know you.

Mike's been sick....but he's still workin.

Where do you see carolyn? La Carafe or Warrens? if it's at warren's i may know you.

I know Carolyn from my time with the historic district. She was one of my most difficult, but also nicest, owners! I see her nowadays at LaCarafe. Also, her daughter, who recently passed, was married to a business associate.

• 2 weeks later...
Supposedly this is the oldest house that is still a house. (versus becoming a museum or something). Built 1862

That house was believed to be the oldest privately-owned house in the city until not too long ago when another house in the First Ward was discovered to be even older. Records indicate that the Heinrich and Hannah Guese House was built in the mid 1850's, before First Ward was platted out. The land that the house stood on was recently sold for a townhouse development and the house relocated to the SE corner of Lubbock and Silver Street in the Sixth Ward where it will be restored as a residence.

There are very few antebellum houses remaining in Houston. There are two in the Second Ward, one on N. Hutcheson St and other nearby on N. Drennan.

The land that the house stood on was recently sold for a townhouse development and the house relocated to the SE corner of Lubbock and Silver Street in the Sixth Ward where it will be restored as a residence.

My mother grew up at 2210 Lubbock, which was the corner (or near the corner) of Lubbock and Silver. The house was torn down many years ago, but here are pictures that we took in 1995. My aunt owned the house and the store next door. They sold it over 30 years ago.

Lubbock1.jpg

Lubbock3.jpg

That house is, or should I say was, affectionately known as the Brosiuis-Alexander House. It was indeed a beautiful house and was hailed in a 1904 newspaper article as 'being one of the finest residences built north of the Buffalo Bayou.' The interior featured mantelpieces and columns purchased in Chicago and the exterior featured massive chimneys which were dismantled in the mid 20th century.

When the current owners proposed to replace the house with a contemporary duplex, they experienced severe opposition from the neighborhood and city to their plans. Due to the city's weak historic preservation ordinance, the house was lost forever however the owner offered the neighborhood first dibs on salvage parts as well as the grocery store next door. The grocery store was moved to the corner of State and Hemphill where it was restored as studio. Over 10 houses in the neigbhorhood, including mine, feature elements salvaged from the Brosius-Alexander house. The house was so well built, it took three days for the demolition company to pull it down. Even its floor was able to support two bulldozers without collapsing.

If your family has more pictures of the house, would they be willing to share them with us? The Sixth Ward Neighborhood Association Archives has been collecting/making copies of early photographs of the neighborhood and its residents.

The land that the house stood on was recently sold for a townhouse development and the house relocated to the SE corner of Lubbock and Silver Street in the Sixth Ward where it will be restored as a residence.

My mother grew up at 2210 Lubbock, which was the corner (or near the corner) of Lubbock and Silver. The house was torn down many years ago, but here are pictures that we took in 1995. My aunt owned the house and the store next door. They sold it over 30 years ago.

Lubbock1.jpg

Lubbock3.jpg

That house is, or should I say was, affectionately known as the Brosiuis-Alexander House. It was indeed a beautiful house and was hailed in a 1904 newspaper article as 'being one of the finest residences built north of the Buffalo Bayou.' The interior featured mantelpieces and columns purchased in Chicago and the exterior featured massive chimneys which were dismantled in the mid 20th century.

When the current owners proposed to replace the house with a contemporary duplex, they experienced severe opposition from the neighborhood and city to their plans. Due to the city's weak historic preservation ordinance, the house was lost forever however the owner offered the neighborhood first dibs on salvage parts as well as the grocery store next door. The grocery store was moved to the corner of State and Hemphill where it was restored as studio. Over 10 houses in the neigbhorhood, including mine, feature elements salvaged from the Brosius-Alexander house. The house was so well built, it took three days for the demolition company to pull it down. Even its floor was able to support two bulldozers without collapsing.

If your family has more pictures of the house, would they be willing to share them with us? The Sixth Ward Neighborhood Association Archives has been collecting/making copies of early photographs of the neighborhood and its residents.

I am shocked. I had no idea that the house was well known. The Alexanders were my aunt and uncle. My grandfather built the grocery store around 1935, when my aunt and uncle bought the house. I have a few pictures of my mother and her sisters during the 40s when they were teenagers. The house is in the background, but you can't see very much of it.

My cousins and I used to love to play on the large front porch. We also loved the grocery store where my aunt would give us free candy. My mother told me that there was a statue of her in the attic that my grandfather had carved. Do you know anything about it? She knows that my aunt didn't take it when they sold the house.

Is there any way that I could get a copy of the 1904 newspaper article?

Thanks so much for this information. I am going to add it to my family history files.

My mother told me that there was a statue of her in the attic that my grandfather had carved. Do you know anything about it? She knows that my aunt didn't take it when they sold the house.

Thanks so much for this information. I am going to add it to my family history files.

I don't remember seeing a statue in the attic however I can ask one of my neighbors who lives right behind it if she knows anything about it. It so happens that the Geaccone family who bought the house from your aunt still lives in the area and I can ask them as well.

I did find a pile of old toys under the window seat in the front dormer in the attic.

I will look in my files for that 1904 newspaper article. I'd love to see the 40's era pictures of the house and the Alexander family, we'd love to make copies for the neighborhood archives.

There used to be a twin 'sister' of your aunt's house next door to the west that was removed in the 60's when the city re-routed Sawyer St. It was built for the original owner, Mr Brosius' business partner. Mr Brosius founded the Texas Art Glass Company which is still in business today and that's where the stained glass in the conservatory came from.

My mother told me that there was a statue of her in the attic that my grandfather had carved. Do you know anything about it? She knows that my aunt didn't take it when they sold the house.

I don't remember seeing a statue in the attic however I can ask one of my neighbors who lives right behind it if she knows anything about it. It so happens that the Geaccone family who bought the house from your aunt still lives in the area and I can ask them as well.

I did find a pile of old toys under the window seat in the front dormer in the attic.

I will look in my files for that 1904 newspaper article. I'd love to see the 40's era pictures of the house and the Alexander family, we'd love to make copies for the neighborhood archives.

There used to be a twin 'sister' of your aunt's house next door to the west that was removed in the 60's when the city re-routed Sawyer St. It was built for the original owner, Mr Brosius' business partner. Mr Brosius founded the Texas Art Glass Company which is still in business today and that's where the stained glass in the conservatory came from.

They toys could have belonged to my mother and her sisters, or they could be my cousin's. I guess it depends on how old they were. I know my cousin kept a lot of her toys in the room at the back of the store.

I'll look through my mother's pictures tomorrow and let you know what I find.

When they bought the house in 1935, my grandfather, who was a cabinet maker and carpenter, divided it into three "apartments". The main part of the house - living room, dining room, kitchen, and master bedroom (which had another small bedroom attached to it) - was for the Alexanders. Another part was for my grandparents and their four younger daughters (which included my mother.) They had two bedrooms, kitchen, dining room, sun porch, and a small sitting room. The third part was leased to another family. I know that when I was a baby, my parents lived in that part for a short time. My mother remembered that the house was really large and beautiful before he remodeled it. She was eight years old when they moved there.

• 5 months later...

OK, I finally found my research. Some of the names may be archaic, but here are the dates of construction for all the historic buildings in the Market Square historic district and the Main Street corridor:

La Carafe - 813 Congress - 1860

Foley Building - 218 Travis - 1860/1889 renovovated after fire

Baker-Meyer Building - 313 Travis - 1861

Fox-Kuhlman Buildings - 305-307 Travis - ca 1862

Larendon Building - 309 Travis - ca 1862/1895 2nd floor added (These two buildings were built as one, one story building,

Alltmont Building - 311 Travis - ca 1862/1892 2nd floor added came under seperate ownership in 1866)

Lawrence Building - 511 Main - 1868

Pillot Building - 1016 Congress - 1868/1990 rebuilt

Victory-Wilson Building - 510 Main - ca 1870/1927 renovated

Roco Building - 419 Travis - 1870

Brewster Building - 108 Main - 1872-73

Raphael Building - 110 Main - ca 1876

Glatzmeier's - 809 Congress - pre 1877

918 Congress - pre 1877

Circle Bar - 924 Congress - pre 1877

Stegeman Building - 914 Prairie - 1877

Swweney-Coombs Building - 301 Main - 1877/1889 renovated

Bolfrass Building - 417 Travis - 1878

Stegeman Building - 502 Main - 1879

Scholibo Building - 912 Prairie - 1880

Stuart Buildings - 304-306 Main - 1880

Smith Building - 308 Main - 1880

Sweeney Building - 310 Main - 1881

Brashear Building - 910 Prairie - 1882

Cotton Exchange - 202 Travis - 1884/1907 4th floor added

Barringer Norton - 506 Main - pre 1885/1928 renovated

Foley Building - 214 Travis - 1889

509 Main - ca 1890

Mission Provision Co. - 112 Milam - ca 1890

Kiam Building - 320 main - 1893

Kiam Annex - 314-316 main - 1893

Majestic Metro - 911 Prairie - 1893/1925 renovated

Christ Church Cathedral - 1117 Texas - 1893

Dickson Building - 112 Travis - 1894

Siewerrssen Building - 802 Commerce - 1894

The Hub - 312 Main - ca 1900

Southern Dental - 1012 Prairie - ca 1895

Dorrance Building - 114 Main - 1903/ca 1931 5th floor added

1st National Bank - 201 Main - 1904/1909/1925

Commercial National Bank - 917 Franklin - 1904

Hogan-Allnoch Building - 810 Commerce - 1906

Riesner Building - 902 Commerce - 1906

Texas Packing Company - 110 Milam - 1906

Paul Building - 1018 Preston - 1907

Mafrige Building - 411 Fannin - 1907

Scanlan Building - 405 Main - 1908

Savoy Apartments - 1616 Main - 1909

Harris County Courthouse - 301 Fannin - 1910

Union National Bank - 220 main - 1910

First Methodist Church - 1320 Main - 1910/1929

Henke Building - 801 Congress - 1910 (215 Milam)/1924

San Jacinto Building - 911 Walker/820 Main - 1910/1951 renovated

Carter Building - 806 Main - 1910/1957 renovated

Isis Theatre - 501 Main - 1911

Beaconsfield Apartments - 1700 Main - 1911

Southern Pacific Building - 913 Franklin - 1911

Desel-Boettcher Building - 901 Commerce - 1912

Louisiana Building - 509 Louisiana - 1912

Magnolia Brewery - 120 Milam - 1912

Rice Hotel - 518 Main - 1913/1925

Bank Mortgage Building - 708 Main - 1913

West Building - 817 Main - 1914

Kress Building - 705 Main - 1914

Mason Building - 711 Main - 1914

Finnigan Building - 805 Main - 1914/1955 renovated

Foster & Gulf Buildings - 723 Main - 1913-1915

Sterne Building - 300 Main - 1916

Hermann Estate Building - 204 Travis - 1917

Hogg Building - 401 Louisiana - 1921

Humble Building - 1200 Main - 1921/1936/1963

Southern Loan - 421 Fannin - 1922

State National Bank - 412 Main - 1924

International Coffee - 1019 Commerce - 1924

Universal Security Life - 1625 Main - 1924

Texas Meat Packing - 1119 Commerce - 1924/1931 addition

Sam Houston Hotel - 1119 Prairie - 1925

Public National Bank - 402 Main - 1925

Lancaster Hotel - 701 Texas - 1926

Kirby Building - 917 Main - 1926/1945

Houston National Bank - 202 Main - 1928

Krupp & Tuffly Building - 910 main - 1928

San Jacinto Savings - 905 Main - 1929

Commerce Building - 914 Main - 1929

Texas Commerce Bank - 712 Main - 1929

McCrory's - 505-507 Main - 1930

Wilson Building - 500 Fannin - 1932

Byrd's Building - 420 Main - 1935

Reiner's - 416 Main - 1939

City National Bank - 921 Main - 1947

Foleys - 1100 Main - 1947/1957 addition

Sakowitz - 1111 Main - 1951

Binz Building - 1001 Texas - 1951/1982 renovated * (see below)

• 1 year later...

Can we talk about this house again? In particular, I find the fact that this huge house was relocated to be very interesting. Even taking perspective into consideration, it dwarfs the one next to it:

WaldoHouse.jpg

Jedidiah Porter Waldo House and Garden, 1213 Rusk Avenue at Caroline Street. Built in 1884-85, moved to 210 Westmoreland, and remodeled in 1904-1905. Extant, George E. Dickey, architect.

How did they move it without modern equipment? I'm very impressed.

With our "green" awareness heightened, why are we recycling everything except buildings?

It just seems like a no-brainer to me. Evidently they did it in historical days fairly regularly elsewhere. Is it expensive to move a structure, relative to demolition and reconstruction? (Sorry for asking, I just have no idea.) With modern technology, it should be easier than it was 100 years ago.

Sometimes a real gem can be saved...even if it's only a matter of moving it several feet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gem_Theatre

Does anyone know of others in Houston like the Jedidiah Porter Waldo House that were relocated to another location? Does anyone know the largest building moved in Houston?

For those interested, I found out Saturday night that "K's icehouse" is Houston's oldest bar, in it's original facility.

"'K's"? Is that Kay's on Bissonett? Or some other water hole I need to check out? Kay's has been watering and feeding Rice University students and local media types for many many years.

"'K's"? Is that Kay's on Bissonett? Or some other water hole I need to check out? Kay's has been watering and feeding Rice University students and local media types for many many years.

Kay's brings back many memories. This ad from 1954-55. Is it still there?

KaysRe-1954.jpg

• 3 years later...

Archived