Acres Homes

Painter Pat Colville was working in a Brooklyn loft, but two years ago, when looking for a place to live part of the year, she bought a 2-acre farm in northwest Houston, on the edge of Acres Homes. There's a chicken coop on the property and a horse her son tends.

She expected to be the only artist in the neighborhood. But she was wrong. She had, in fact, landed in Houston's newest art enclave.

In Houston, artists do what artists everywhere have done for centuries: revitalize neglected areas by revamping cheap old buildings and warehouses to use as housing and studio space.

But rising property values have begun to drive them from close-in neighborhoods. Now, they're building brand-new metal houses and studios outside the Loop.

That movement is most visible north of Loop 610 and west of Interstate 45 in wooded, historically black neighborhoods such as Acres Homes and Independence Heights.

Some of Houston's best-known artists either already live and work there or have bought property with plans to build. The roster includes The Art Guys, Paul Kittelson, Carter Ernst, Virgil Grotfeldt, Terrell James, Lee Littlefield, Ed Wilson and Tim Glover.

article

Edited by musicman
  • Like 1

I'm glad to see outsiders have the huevos to move there and take advantage of the big lots, proximity and cheap prices. Smart, early money says follow the urban artists. They have proven themselves to be the pioneers in the urban ecosystem. Sort of like the biblical dove that carried the olive branch back to Noah or the seed that sprouts amid the manure (no offensive intended). The poor are typically the decomposers in a neighborhood's life cycle which can only break an area down so far until the prices and location attract a less destructive organism who signal the end of the decline and the beginning of the rebirth.

Nature is a beautiful thing.

I'm glad to see outsiders have the huevos to move there and take advantage of the big lots, proximity and cheap prices. Smart, early money says follow the urban artists. They have proven themselves to be the pioneers in the urban ecosystem. Sort of like the biblical dove that carried the olive branch back to Noah or the seed that sprouts amid the manure (no offensive intended). The poor are typically the decomposers in a neighborhood's life cycle which can only break an area down so far until the prices and location attract a less destructive organism who signal the end of the decline and the beginning of the rebirth.

That was good and fine as a nascent process going on inside the loop, where there was a very solid concentration. But many of the artists seem to have scattered to the winds. I'm concerned that they are lacking a critical mass.

:blush: vivid

• 3 months later...

hbcu,

i noticed your inwood forest post about losing 3rd Ward and 4th Ward, and potentially Acres Homes. How would suggest people (and let's be direct here, we're referring to black people) "protect" their neighborhood?

As I drive through Acres Homes, which I do almost every time I leave my house in Inwood Forest, I say, "man, this could be a really nice spot. it's a great location and it has great lots."

HOWEVER

Most of the people in Acres Homes are not taking care of their part of Acres Homes - just as people did not take care of their part of 3rd and 4th, and 5th, which will, eventually, also be 'taken' - or, in my view, given away.

Yes, there are some nice homes in AH. There are some people who actually take care of their home, but about half of the homes in AH are not kept up to standard. The houses are old, and, for the most part, owned by older people who don't have the means (financially or physically) to bring the houses up. Younger folks, like myself, would not buy most of the homes in AH. I would buy a large lot and build a new home - which I am considering - but I have to be concerned about property crime and school, neither of which Acres Homes does a good job with.

So, hbcu, you've done a good job at pointing out areas where 'folks' have lost prime locations and are setting themselves up to lose another. Do you have any recommendations on how to properly address such issues?

• 6 months later...

What areas or streets specifically? I am familiar with the parts around Carver Center (North Harris College), but not much more outside of Victory Drive?

Also, how does this area compare with Inwood Forest proper (golf course area). Seems there is a lot of discussion and flight from that area, but the houses seem really nice and lower priced compared to other areas of the city.

Drove the Acres Homes area last week & we were stunned by the AMAZING beautiful homes being built. It's about time the huge, shady lots are appreciated!

What areas or streets specifically? I am familiar with the parts around Carver Center (North Harris College), but not much more outside of Victory Drive?

Also, how does this area compare with Inwood Forest proper (golf course area). Seems there is a lot of discussion and flight from that area, but the houses seem really nice and lower priced compared to other areas of the city.

• 13 years later...

Glad to see some positive development in this part of town.

Bethune Empowerment Center Revitalization Project breaks ground in Acres Homes

An 8-acre tract of land which previously housed the Bethune Academy Elementary School at 2500 S Victory Dr. is being repurposed as a business incubator and vocational center for the Acres Home neighborhood, according to a press release from the Mayor’s Office...

An offshoot of the Acres Home Complete Community Action Plan, the Bethune Empowerment Center will offer job training, apprenticeships, skill-building services, small business resources, co-working spaces, and business incubators...

The Bethune Empowerment Center will consist of ten buildings which will be renovated in three phases. Phase 1, comprising approximately 29,000 square feet, includes the renovation of the school’s cafeteria building into a commercial kitchen space and event space that allows for business development, agricultural training, certification, and other culinary arts programming.

The remainder of Phase 1 will include a community garden and several workspaces, including for-lease offices, conference rooms, administrative office space, breakroom areas and collaborative working spaces.

Construction for Phase 1 will be complete by the end of 2021. Phases 2 and 3 will include additional offices for the business incubators, classrooms, early childhood daycare/after-school care, and conference rooms.

https://www.theleadernews.com/real_estate/bethune-empowerment-center-revitalization-project-breaks-ground-in-acres-homes/article_0ef3c8b2-007b-11ec-b372-833b71c678d2.html

Capture.PNG

• Like 4