Club Vision At 2117 Chenevert St.

citykid09

I hope it closed. That place had gone Asian gang and thug. It had been boring since it was Spy, though, so I guess even gangster money was welcome. The Spy management was involved in a big drug sting that involved closing the club several years ago, I believe. I can't really remember the facts...

I think, back in the 80s and early 90s, this was actually a topless bar. I'm not sure about that, either, though.

Bottom line -- it will be something else soon...and again, and again.

I think, back in the 80s and early 90s, this was actually a topless bar. I'm not sure about that, either, though.

Oh if only there were a topless bar in downtown.....i wouldnt have to fight traffic to get to the mens club for happy hour.

I never went when it was Vision, but i was there pretty much every weekend in the late nineties. It was very asian back then.

Oh if only there were a topless bar in downtown.....i wouldnt have to fight traffic to get to the mens club for happy hour.

I never went when it was Vision, but i was there pretty much every weekend in the late nineties. It was very asian back then.

I went a few times in roughly that timeframe, too. It was just starting to be Asian then. I didn't have any problem with it going Asian -- the Asian gangs and thugs that started showing up were a different matter.

The problem with Vision, as I see it, is that they more went after the big event crowds (a particular act in town, a festival, a big sporting event, etc) rather than building up a recurring client base. It had become a pretty strong Hip-Hop/R&B club in terms of music and culture but it never was able to maintain the devoted customer base that an M Bar or Suede seems to have. That's critical for any nightclub.

I hope it closed. That place had gone Asian gang and thug. It had been boring since it was Spy, though, so I guess even gangster money was welcome. The Spy management was involved in a big drug sting that involved closing the club several years ago, I believe. I can't really remember the facts...

Bottom line -- it will be something else soon...and again, and again.

Here's the facts. Spy Mgmt. Byron(GM), most particular, and one of the Persian princes that owned the club. Were caught with about 5000 hits of "X". I can't recall if it was actually IN the club or they were caught just selling, IN the club. There is an article in the Chron. archives I am sure.

It was a topless bar from '91 to '93 called Cheetahs, then it was the first incarnation of a dance club called Cheetahs. It was cheaper just to keep the signage already up. I actually managed it with a buddy of mine for a few months before it closed and renovated, it was pretty neat, had the whole club thing upstairs, and downstairs it was a whole 1930's decor that was a Martini Bar, this was before Martini bars were "HIP". Then after a renovation it opened for another few months, and the Persians came in and bought it closed it, sunk about $200k into it, and SPY bar opened, finally, a REAL New York club ! there were some really crazy nights in the VIP room upstairs.

A little history for you folks. This is actually the 3rd oldest building in Houston's downtown.

Edited by TJones

That was on Louisiana. It is now something else.

red square and homage were in the same building. i remember going to both

EDIT from chron blog: Midtown has another point of light in its nightlife landscape. The big brick building on Louisiana that hosts Darque Tan used to serve as a huge nightclub back in the early-'90s -- named Homage for a spell and then later Red Square (Fugazi even once played at Homage). The upstairs is now host to an army of tanning beds, but downstairs is a room that you once knew as Licor Lounge.

Edited by musicman

Here's the facts. Spy Mgmt. Byron(GM), most particular, and one of the Persian princes that owned the club. Were caught with about 5000 hits of "X". I can't recall if it was actually IN the club or they were caught just selling, IN the club. There is an article in the Chron. archives I am sure.

It was a topless bar from '91 to '93 called Cheetahs, then it was the first incarnation of a dance club called Cheetahs. It was cheaper just to keep the signage already up. I actually managed it with a buddy of mine for a few months before it closed and renovated, it was pretty neat, had the whole club thing upstairs, and downstairs it was a whole 1930's decor that was a Martini Bar, this was before Martini bars were "HIP". Then after a renovation it opened for another few months, and the Persians came in and bought it closed it, sunk about $200k into it, and SPY bar opened, finally, a REAL New York club ! there were some really crazy nights in the VIP room upstairs.

A little history for you folks. This is actually the 3rd oldest building in Houston's downtown.

I was in there the night before Spy opened, with all the lights on, testing the sound system with a friend-of-a-friend who DJed there, named Curtis. I think he went on to be a part owner, too, though I'm not sure if he ever got caught up in all the X stuff. Back then, I remember thinking the same thing you did -- finally, a really ambitious club design. I think Rich's may have been the only club that had more of a "Manhattan" feel to it at that time.

That kind of ambition isn't as rare anymore. Nowadays, everybody sinks 6-figures into building out a club. Back then, Spy was really something in this market.

• 1 year later...
Is this the same Club Vision that used to be in Midtown above Lollycup?

I know I am digging up an ancient thread and this is actually my first post. But whatever did happen to the Club Vision, which is now Midtown Lounge. That was the BEST place to go in houston that was both afterhours and played the BEST techo/trance music. It was like a rave there every Saturday night. I wish I could find another place like that somewhere in town.

I know I am digging up an ancient thread and this is actually my first post. But whatever did happen to the Club Vision, which is now Midtown Lounge. That was the BEST place to go in houston that was both afterhours and played the BEST techo/trance music. It was like a rave there every Saturday night. I wish I could find another place like that somewhere in town.

Club Habitat with long time Houston Dj, Michael Degrace every Saturday night from 2am-?

1415 California

Edited by Metro Matt

• The title was changed to Club Vision At 2117 Chenevert St.