Friendship Baptist Church At 1313 Matthews St.

torvald

looking up the name but over 100 years old, it was due to get a historic places medallion soon...

a friend called and said it was in montrose. rode my bike past st. thomas, the greek orthodox, bering-memorial and the episcopal church on w. alabama... just in time to get another call from her that find it was the church in freedman's town.

here it is:

Friendship Baptist Church

1313 Matthews St

Edited by torvald
  • Like 1

Hmmmmm.... lightning is always possible but the number of church fires in the 4th Ward over the last few years is a bit fishy...

There's already been one charge levied by the African-American congregations that they think arson by developers might be a possibility.

Hmmmmm.... lightning is always possible but the number of church fires in the 4th Ward over the last few years is a bit fishy...

There's already been one charge levied by the African-American congregations that they think arson by developers might be a possibility.

The same thought crossed my mind as well, but i dont think its just 4th Ward, its all over Harris County and one or two in Ft. Bend County.

Problem is, you had witnesses in the church that described what they heard, and the Arson investigators are all over this one, because of it's status as historical. We should get an answer soon.

Two historic churches are gone and the old nabe is too, save for a few crackheads (apologies to any law abiding citizens still there from the old days).

Passing thought; was it 4th Ward's karma to be so thoroughly erased with an "act of God" as the final blow?

I cant believe how fast they torn down the remains and began removal process. Talk about "lightening speed"!!

Something doesnt seem right here. I think somebody is got a agenda. I think a politician has something to do with this. Lets expose him for the good of humanity.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

just an aside, but check out this article:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=4812926

:blink:

He's only lived in Friedmanstown for two years, but Kelly Williams isn't shy to attack some of the problems affecting the historic Fourth Ward.

"You get enough like-minded individuals together, you can make a lot happen," he said. "You'd be surprised at what can happen."

That's why Williams and hundreds of neighbors with similar concerns brought their opinions to a fiery meeting between residents and city leaders, including Mayor Bill White

"For too long, we haven't had the capital improvements and the public safety protection that we deserve in this neighborhood," said Mayor White.

The recent fire that gutted an historic neighborhood church was a reminder to residents new and old that crime is still a concern.

But on Thursday night, it was clear that the justification of Friedmanstown and building of newer, more expensive homes is causing a rift between those who grew up in the area and those who just moved in.

and another oddity:

Among the crowd Thursday night at that meeting on crime was admitted killer Robert Durst. He's the millionaire who just ended his parole this week after cutting up a neighbor's body and dumping it in Galveston Bay. Durst lives in the Fourth Ward, but most of his neighbors didn't recognize him. However, his appearance was certainly a talking point among the politicians, police and reporters who saw him.

just an aside, but check out this article:

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=...&id=4812926

:blink:

He's only lived in Friedmanstown for two years, but Kelly Williams isn't shy to attack some of the problems affecting the historic Fourth Ward.

"You get enough like-minded individuals together, you can make a lot happen," he said. "You'd be surprised at what can happen."

/i]

Pretty sad when the news reporting is that uninformed as to not know the name of the place....wow.

And the link has a lady who's lived there 52 years complaining that no one paid any attention to that nabe until "they built those houses over there". She seems to be suggesting that racism is the reason. I'm guessing that lack of leadership and effort was more to blame.

• The title was changed to Friendship Baptist Church At 1313 Matthews St.