Kopernik Shores, near S Padre Island

theoriginalkj

I have seemed to be nearly fascinated with the little community of 'Kopernik Shores' down near South Padre Island ever since I learned about it. According to the Texas Online Handbook, it's got a little history as a Polish community that appeared to fail and houses originally sold for like $12,000. According to satellite photos, there appears to be a small community of relatively recent-built homes down about 2 miles from the Gulf of Mexico, down near the best beach area Texas has to offer. Obviously, South Padre Island is very expensive - but it would appear that 'Kopernik Shores' would not be very expensive to purchase a home. Because of it's remote location, I have no had the pleasure of visiting this little community or Boca Chica Beach (at the Gulf). Can somebody provide any realtor information, housing values, information, and recent photos of the community!?

Kevin

kevinj@houston.rr.com

• 3 months later...

I lived in Brownsville for a couple of years 1979-80. I was there during hurricane Allen. Boca Chica Beach is still remote and highway 4 is a narrow concrete road that parallels the Rio Grande river out to the beach. This little community had a store and gas station but not much else. I never stopped there, but went to that beach several times. You could drive south to the end of Texas and walk across to Mexico if you wanted to. (no border guards out there). The dunes were huge, 25ft. plus.

There were several plans to develop the area, one such grand plan even made it in the Chronicle business section in the early 80's. It was planned along both sides of highway 4 from Brownsville to Boca Chica including golf courses, hotels and destination attractions, but nothing ever happened.

• 1 year later...

Hi

I was a life-long resident to Brownsville until 13 years ago. Kopernik Shores was a neat place. It had a restaurant that my mother worked at way back when. I recall going with her on several occasions. It had a swimming pool and a great view.

My mother worked there for several years. It also had a small motel. The restaurant manager was also incharge of the motel that included something like 6 - 9 rooms. They were located across the street from the restaurant.

If anyone can get a listing of some of the people involved with Kopernik Shores that would be great.

Thanks for allowing me to post.

Archived