Old United Jewelers (Club Stelaris) Bulldozed

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

Musicman,

I too am eager to learn what is going up. I (and all of my family & area friends) are praying it is going to be something of admiration. Example: A high rise office building (miracle), expensive townhome for white-collar people (dream-on). But in all seriousness, we all wanted to do a dance around the bulldozer when it appeared as if by magic that day to tear it down. Those eyesores were so depressing to look at I normally would turn away so I would'nt get pink eye as I drove by on 45. I was a kid working at the Holiday Inn across the street and vividly recall how nice that spot was. Area was really clean and kept up and what? Everyone spoke English? Yes, there actually was once upon a time. We know that as soon as the car dealer lowered and I do mean lowered their prices so did the quality and the clientele. It has been over 3 years since the Neighboorhood Association said there was going to be a huge arch (Welcome to East End) crossing from that corner to where the old Holiday Inn once stood, nothing yet? Just talk. The reason developers/demographics and urban planners overlook the area for something really decent is they do their demographics and see what the income is and say forget it!

If this were Kingwood/Woodlands I assure there would already be an upscale venue being built as we speak. Developers assume all residents are low-income, have minimal English speaking skills and all kids are under-achievers and that crime is rampant.

This I can assure is why East End is constantly being pushed aside for progress.

Well gotta go, bullets are raining overhead again! That's a whole other topic of why police dont post signs for these losers to stop shooting their AK-47's into the Convent area.

Regards!

Musicman,

I too am eager to learn what is going up. I (and all of my family & area friends) are praying it is going to be something of admiration. Example: A high rise office building (miracle), expensive townhome for white-collar people (dream-on). But in all seriousness, we all wanted to do a dance around the bulldozer when it appeared as if by magic that day to tear it down. Those eyesores were so depressing to look at I normally would turn away so I would'nt get pink eye as I drove by on 45. I was a kid working at the Holiday Inn across the street and vividly recall how nice that spot was. Area was really clean and kept up and what? Everyone spoke English? Yes, there actually was once upon a time. We know that as soon as the car dealer lowered and I do mean lowered their prices so did the quality and the clientele. It has been over 3 years since the Neighboorhood Association said there was going to be a huge arch (Welcome to East End) crossing from that corner to where the old Holiday Inn once stood, nothing yet? Just talk. The reason developers/demographics and urban planners overlook the area for something really decent is they do their demographics and see what the income is and say forget it!

If this were Kingwood/Woodlands I assure there would already be an upscale venue being built as we speak. Developers assume all residents are low-income, have minimal English speaking skills and all kids are under-achievers and that crime is rampant.

This I can assure is why East End is constantly being pushed aside for progress.

Well gotta go, bullets are raining overhead again! That's a whole other topic of why police dont post signs for these losers to stop shooting their AK-47's into the Convent area.

Regards!

Actually, I just created a thread yesterday about a couple of large townhome developments, one of which was east of Lockwood. Centex is also planning to do some better-quality townhome product on Polk at Delano. Lovett also tried desperately to make the Harrisburg/Lockwood site work as a nice retail center, but to no avail. They still believe in the area and refuse to do anything with the site until it can be made a nice project. Gulfgate worked magnificently, so perhaps there's hope yet for this smaller project. Cafe Flores seems to be doing well, and although struggling, Bohemio's is going to grab the attention of a good crowd. At the moment, odds are pretty high that the University Line of LRT will end at the Eastwood TC (good news for Eastwood and Broadmoor), and the Harrisburg BRT sounds like a sure bet. And let's not forget about the Buffalo Bayou Partnership...although their plans are difficult to achieve, they've done a really good job at acquiring the land that they've got and getting trails paved. And with Halliburton looking to develop about 80 acres around their headquarters with a high-density configuration, that'll give the East End a demographic shot in the arm. And of course, supporting all this buzz, the East End Management District has been very active in promoting the community, painting over grafitti, and getting extra police patrols. They're without a doubt one of the better management districts in the Houston area.

I think that the East End has a lot going for it. If I didn't, I wouldn't have put my money there.

RNSDR,

Thanks for the info and welcome to HAIF. My wife and I also live in the East End, speak English, trying to learn spanish, and we love it. We don't fit the demographics of the area as such but in the last 2.5 years I have seen it changing as people discover the affordable homes and the wonderful location.

I love the thought of an Arch there. On another note though this past weekend I went over by Finger furniture to the warehouse on the south side which used to be a roofing supply company they were shut down and that whole area from 45 to the tracks is now vacant and for sale. Possible development on Cullen?

Scharpe St Guy

Regards!

I think your comment was valid 5 years ago, but not anymore. The wave has begun and it'll take time but isn't likely to reverse itself. Besides the larger, more expensive developments, there are small harbingers worthy of notice. One little strip center near me at 75th & Lawndale has seen, in the past year or so, a dollar store turn into a bank, a tapioca cafe take over another spot and recently, the big Fiesta closed its doors.

Glad to hear you also survived New Years!

What the near East End really needs now is quality retail. Everyone I know gripes about having to drive to other parts of town to shop for clothing, household items, pet supplies, etc. Almeda Mall doesn't hack it. A new Kroger store would do well here. So would Target and Kohl's. We don't need more cheaply-built strip centers, convenience stores, dollar stores, rinkey-dink salons de belleza, tire repair shops. When are developers going to wake up to the fact that we're here, we're culturally diverse and we've got money to spend!

What the near East End really needs now is quality retail. Everyone I know gripes about having to drive to other parts of town to shop for clothing, household items, pet supplies, etc. Almeda Mall doesn't hack it. A new Kroger store would do well here. So would Target and Kohl's. We don't need more cheaply-built strip centers, convenience stores, dollar stores, rinkey-dink salons de belleza, tire repair shops. When are developers going to wake up to the fact that we're here, we're culturally diverse and we've got money to spend!

Gulfgate was a remarkably good start, and we've even got a Best Buy under construction now. But you're right, it would be nice if we could even get a Wal-Mart in this general area.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

My family and I still drive all the way to Baybrook Mall to shop and basically feel like I am in the now, not 1975. Our old area your right is overcrowded with cheaply built over night 5 & dime stores, etc. As I mentioned in another reply I roam away just to get decent customer service. The HEB at Gulfgate started out gung-ho but it was quite short lived. You are ignored most of the time and they don't even want to bag your groceries any more. I stopped at an HEB in the Clear Lake area and I thought I was in a dream. The people greeted me as I came in the door and every employee offered assistance, and I was asked to come back as I left? Haven't seen that anywhere in our area in year's, serious. I should have filmed the whole thing. It all goes back to management in these local retail stores, better training, show customers respect. The worst part is the blaring Latino radio being played as you try to shop. People that don't know Spanish don't realize that music is really a real low, low type of music you would only hear in beer joints.

Lawndale would be the best place to start placing a Whataburger, Dairy Queen, Cleaner's, Red Lobster, Malt shop (what?)

Anyone remember The Mustang Maltshop? We really do feel like we are on an island in the middle of nowhere!

Gulfgate was a remarkably good start, and we've even got a Best Buy under construction now. But you're right, it would be nice if we could even get a Wal-Mart in this general area.

Please, we don't need another walmart in the area. There's a new one over by the new Circuit city by Almeda Genoa.

Just get some decent stores in the area, we have some good resturants, but just need a bit more variety!

I can't knock Almeda. I still support em when i can as well as the Target there. I think it has a bad rap personally because there sure were a LOT of people shopping there during Christmas. for some reason retailers are doing the strip center thing vs. the mall thing.

I think I would have to pass on a Walmart. Now Target....that would be a different story.

My family and I still drive all the way to Baybrook Mall to shop and basically feel like I am in the now, not 1975. Our old area your right is overcrowded with cheaply built over night 5 & dime stores, etc. As I mentioned in another reply I roam away just to get decent customer service. The HEB at Gulfgate started out gung-ho but it was quite short lived. You are ignored most of the time and they don't even want to bag your groceries any more. I stopped at an HEB in the Clear Lake area and I thought I was in a dream. The people greeted me as I came in the door and every employee offered assistance, and I was asked to come back as I left? Haven't seen that anywhere in our area in year's, serious. I should have filmed the whole thing. It all goes back to management in these local retail stores, better training, show customers respect. The worst part is the blaring Latino radio being played as you try to shop. People that don't know Spanish don't realize that music is really a real low, low type of music you would only hear in beer joints.

Lawndale would be the best place to start placing a Whataburger, Dairy Queen, Cleaner's, Red Lobster, Malt shop (what?)

Fortunately we will probably NOT be like Baybrook. I have never been a fan of the mall for some reason. For me it has always been a suburban nightmare, something that I stay clear of. for over 15 yrs i drove by there 2x/day and I think I actually went in less than 10 times.

As for HEB not bagging your groceries, I've not had that problem. I went there a few days ago to buy some items and the cashier was very cordial to me. I will say that the courtesy booth is many times way too crowded for the number of workers behind the counter. The Clear Lake one isn't that crowded so the employees have time to socialize with the customers i guess. As for what is playing on the radio, I know a few people here have complained that they play disco music in there and that the place looks Latin. The HEB is catering to the surrounding market IMO. The aisle of black hair supplies probably wouldn't been needed in clear Lake. When I go in there I'm there to pick up my items and leave. Sometimes I realize what is playing on musak, but most of the time I don't. As for opening a Dairy Queen on Lawndale, I doubt i would EVER go there. Don't think i've been in a Dairy Queen since the 70's

As for opening a Dairy Queen on Lawndale, I doubt i would EVER go there. Don't think i've been in a Dairy Queen since the 70's

Also, DQ doesn't typically do urban markets unless by historical accident. It likes to brand itself as small town and travel food.

The last Dairy Queen that I was aware of in Houston (proper) was the one on Harrisburg @ 67th street, I think. THAT one closed down about 10 years ago.

There's a crappy one on W. 18th...or is it Mangum? Or Antoine? Somewhere in that general vicinity.

There's also one that doesn't take credit cards on Highway 6 near Memorial Dr.

The last Dairy Queen that I was aware of in Houston (proper) was the one on Harrisburg @ 67th street, I think. THAT one closed down about 10 years ago.

I can think of four on the southeast side just off the top of my head.

telephone road between almeda-genoa and fuqua.

winkler near howard (right off 45)

college at 45

el dorado just east of 45.

Guest andriasfault

Interesting comments . . . I live in Idylwood and love it all including HEB and the blaring music, La Victoria bakery, tire shops, nail shops, etc. If I wanted something else I would move somewhere else. Get used to it folks. The civil rights movement happened a long time ago.

Interesting comments . . . I live in Idylwood and love it all including HEB and the blaring music, La Victoria bakery, tire shops, nail shops, etc. If I wanted something else I would move somewhere else. Get used to it folks. The civil rights movement happened a long time ago.

Excuse me, but what does your comment about the civil rights movement have to do with the type and quality of retail establishments that are needed in Eastwood? Please explain...

Not sure how the music works at HEB, but alot of times its 80`s dance music...and not radio stuff, the kind they played at numbers in the day. The stores they are building seem to lower themselves to the surrounding residents. HEB at GGate is gross...people are always eating items, you see open packages everywhere....I try not to go there. Wal mart just reminds me of poor suburbs, keep them there. I actually am kinda giving up on the East End and will be selling sometime in the near future. I really feel the hood is getting worse. House prices in my area also seem to be falling?

Not sure how the music works at HEB, but alot of times its 80`s dance music...and not radio stuff, the kind they played at numbers in the day. The stores they are building seem to lower themselves to the surrounding residents.

As Musicman, I must ask, what type of music should be played there to raise the standard of the store?

sounds like you're looking for a pristine place to live. When you live in an old, established area, there are certain things that you must accept in order to be happy. If you want chain restaurant after chain restaurant, then move to the "rich" burbs. sounds like you'll be much happier.

I actually am kinda giving up on the East End and will be selling sometime in the near future. I really feel the hood is getting worse. House prices in my area also seem to be falling?

Keep your eye on the large trend, not the minor wavelets, like what might seem to be happening in your immediate neighborhood. In stock trading, a lull like you might be seeing/perceiving would be looked at as simply a pullback/correction of the initial wave upwards in the new uptrend. This is the time when seasoned traders would be accumulating positions (buying) in anticipation of the next wave up, which would tend to be much larger and longer than the first wave, which I see as having started in 2000.

Guest andriasfault
Excuse me, but what does your comment about the civil rights movement have to do with the type and quality of retail establishments that are needed in Eastwood? Please explain...

Hmm, let me see. We don't want to hear Spanish being spoken, we don't want low end shops created in our neighborhoods, we don't want to listen to music that was described as being "low" (quite humorous) and on and on and on. Rock and roll was considered "low" and "degenerate" when it first came out and scared lots of people. Today, it is right up there with apple pie in terms of being mainstream. There is nothing, legally, that can prevent these folks from doing any of these things and, really, what is the harm? Most of what is driving this is really just plain old supply and demand forces.

The East End is an old, urban, established neighborhood and, chances are, the things folks don't like about it will not change anytime soon. So we can move out, or stay and "delicate flower and moan" or we can accept it and be happy. I choose to be happy.

Hmm, let me see. We don't want to hear Spanish being spoken, we don't want low end shops created in our neighborhoods, we don't want to listen to music that was described as being "low" (quite humorous) and on and on and on. Rock and roll was considered "low" and "degenerate" when it first came out and scared lots of people. Today, it is right up there with apple pie in terms of being mainstream. There is nothing, legally, that can prevent these folks from doing any of these things and, really, what is the harm? Most of what is driving this is really just plain old supply and demand forces.

The East End is an old, urban, established neighborhood and, chances are, the things folks don't like about it will not change anytime soon. So we can move out, or stay and "delicate flower and moan" or we can accept it and be happy. I choose to be happy.

I shop at that HEB from time to time, the only REAL complaint about the music I have is that I would like GOOD mexican/latin music and at a lower volume. As far as the volume goes, I have that issue with other HEB's and other chains as well.

Some of the stuff that they play offends me as just being bad music. If they would just pick better latin/mexican music, I'd be okay with that.

one can only hear Mariachi music for so many times in a row!

As Musicman, I must ask, what type of music should be played there to raise the standard of the store?

sounds like you're looking for a pristine place to live. When you live in an old, established area, there are certain things that you must accept in order to be happy. If you want chain restaurant after chain restaurant, then move to the "rich" burbs. sounds like you'll be much happier.

The music is great...its all the discount stores they are building...stuff like Latino Cuts...etc...and you are right, I think I will be happier in the burbs. The chains I hate, nice independents I love.

To be perfectly clear, no one here is advocating legal action.

Different people have different preferences, that's all. And all these different people may be a statistical minority, but they aren't going anywhere anytime soon, either. So you can move out, or stay and "delicate flower and moan", or you can accept it and be happy. Sound familiar?

I shop at that HEB from time to time, the only REAL complaint about the music I have is that I would like GOOD mexican/latin music and at a lower volume. As far as the volume goes, I have that issue with other HEB's and other chains as well.

Some of the stuff that they play offends me as just being bad music. If they would just pick better latin/mexican music, I'd be okay with that.

one can only hear Mariachi music for so many times in a row!

Great response,

I actually enjoy the occasional 80's new wave stuff, brings back great memories.

An earlier response seemed on the defensive when the Spanish music was described as low class. Next time you hear it; try to listen to the lyrics (hopefully you are fluent) if not ask someone with what the singer is saying. The songs are about boozing, infidelity, cheating and so on. Seldom about love/affection. Not exactly what I would want my children to be hearing as we shop. Some time they are hooting & hollering like drunks do in cantina's. That's what was meant by a lower class of music not the fact that it is Spanish music. It would be fantastic if they kept Latin music and used sounds of Brazil/South America/Cuban ie; Samba, mambo etc. better quality sounds. Houston has never had good radio period. It would cool if they played German, Italian etc since we are considered an Intn'l city? For those that have travelled to other cities like San Jose or San Diego, Ca. those airways play so much more quality music of all types. Houston never seems to catch on. Still in the past. Sorry to hurt any ego's but it's true. Cheers!

Archived