Earth Quest Adventures

Boris

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Will there be rides? I mean good rides, like super-fast, super-tall coasters.

Sigh, I miss Fiesta Texas. Got season tix every year I lived there. Good rides. It really sucks not having anything in Houston anymore.

They seem to have an idealistic notion to stick to a scientific, museum-like attraction with minimal "theme park" attractions such as thrill rides. Even Disney offer only a couple of thrill rides in -land and World. I don't give this vision much chance of success at this scale.

My guess is that, after realizing pretty good attendance over the first season of phase one, interest in phase two will be low and repeat visits will be hard to generate. So, they will back off their idealistic eco-educational plan and play more to the masses. Then, you'll see some roller coasters, motion simulators and more thrill-type rides and shows.

Of course, this mission change might change the whole scope of the park and its surroundings over the long term. For better or worse, time and foot traffic will tell.

They seem to have an idealistic notion to stick to a scientific, museum-like attraction with minimal "theme park" attractions such as thrill rides. Even Disney offer only a couple of thrill rides in -land and World. I don't give this vision much chance of success at this scale.

My guess is that, after realizing pretty good attendance over the first season of phase one, interest in phase two will be low and repeat visits will be hard to generate. So, they will back off their idealistic eco-educational plan and play more to the masses. Then, you'll see some roller coasters, motion simulators and more thrill-type rides and shows.

Of course, this mission change might change the whole scope of the park and its surroundings over the long term. For better or worse, time and foot traffic will tell.

I don't see why you can't have fun rides and promote and an educational eco-experience in the same venue. Rides for the sake of rides will turn this into Astroworld. Personally, if were in another state and given the choice of going to a branded place like Disney or providing my family with an educational experience and they had similar rides, the choice would be obvious.

I'm not current with the latest themepark attractions. Are the any themeparks out there that offer this type of experience?

I don't see why you can't have fun rides and promote and an educational eco-experience in the same venue. Rides for the sake of rides will turn this into Astroworld. Personally, if were in another state and given the choice of going to a branded place like Disney or providing my family with an educational experience and they had similar rides, the choice would be obvious.

I'm not current with the latest themepark attractions. Are the any themeparks out there that offer this type of experience?

Hey everyone,

I figured you'd all be interested in what a member of another forum had to say about the EarthQuest theme park model when he was able to visit EMCID last month: (I had many questions for him, all of which were based on notes from the original 2D master plan that Contour Entertainment had developed much earlier last year.) There are specific references to other roller coasters and ride types, so please brush off any of the extra-nerdiness... - this is all from an amusement park-related forum...

"We have been without an amusement park for too long huh? LOL I'm working on something with the map...but I'll answer your questions as best I can...hell, I'll just combine it in to one post since you asked some good ones. Here's the map...which honestly shows more than the model...

EQ5.jpg

Ok, on to your questions...

1. Is there still to be a Dueling Dragons clone?

No, this is no longer shown to be a Dueling Dragons clone...it now appears to be either a B&M invert, or maybe a flyer...although not aware of any flyer that has a Cobra Roll, and part of the track went through the loop ala Kumba, although I don't recall that. It is of course just a model, so lots could change...but with the look of the supports...I'm guessing B&M invert.

2. Is there still a "Glacier Mountain" coaster (this was the second coaster drawn around the base of the mountain in the original park plan)?

Not that I could see...there was a coaster not far to the side of the volcano, but not much detail to it. Looking at it, I'd guess small mine train or possibly a Vekoma rollerskater.

3. Is there still a volcano in the center of the park?

Yes, and using the scale they were using...the thing would be well over 200 feet tall.

4. Is there still a coaster intended for in and around the volcano?

Yes, and this is a strange one. It shows a station, then a long bit of track going through some rock work, then on the other side of the rock work is a 90 degree hill...ala Fahrenheit at HP or a Thrust Air, or maybe even Eurofighter. It then goes into the volcano...the model shows it working in and out of the volcano. Not sure about this one...the layout looks nothing like in the above map.

5. Is there still a lagoon/water show?

Nothing in the model gave any indication of this.

6. Is there still a zoo portion inside the park? (I'd last heard the zoo area was going to be moved outside of the theme park, which would be my preference unless it's done well.)

There is still a zoo area on the back side of the park...but it looks like the only access to it would be through the park

7. Any other interesting landscaped forms?

There appears to be a rapids ride with some nice red rock work. Other than that, nothing that stood out.

8. Are there still supposed to be three to four 4D movies?

Again no indication, none of the buildings were labeled and the only had the general areas labeled...nothing saying what individial attractions would be like the map above.

9. Any good water rides? (At least one big river ride was shown in the original theme park plan)

That still appears there...the red rock looking rapids ride I mentioned above, and it looks like there may be some sort of flume ride.

10. Is there still going to be an "Ice Caves" mirror maze attraction?

There was nothing to give any indication of this...but again, no labels on buildings or model besides general area names.

Ok, besides what you asked about...there also appears to be either an observation tower or drop tower, it was hard to tell which it would be from the model. There also appears to be a skyway ala the old Astroway cable cars at Astroworld going across part of the park. Other than that, there wasn't much you could tell about other rides or the buildings. There were some good sized buildings that might house dark rides or 4-D movies...but sadly nothing was labeled. That's why I'm still not sure why they wouldn't allow pics...nothing was labeled very specific, and nothing was that original that there would be a fear of corportate espionage. LOL I'm sure it's mainly just so when they change that B&M to a Vekoma invert and drop other things, people can't say "But it was on the model...I have pics!" LOL

The model also showed the Dino museum, hotels, a 12 acre waterpark, and an 8 acre FEC(family entertainment center) out front with go-karts, mini golf, arcade, few rides.

Some thigns I didn't like about what I saw...first, no train ride. I don't think a major theme park should ever be without one. Hell, if they're trying to stay all "green" like it sounds...use one that's bio-diesel or electric. Also, no wooden coaster...I always think that's a mistake, but again I guess ripping down tons of trees to make it isn't very green. LOL There also didn't appear to be a lot of shade...something that isn't much fun during a TX summer, although again it's just a model and not going to be too critical. The FEC also scares me because I think it's going to look cheap, and it gives them an out for not building the 70 acre amusement park since it would have a few small carnival rides. Guess we'll just have to see.

That's all I can think of for now...so bummed again that I couldn't get pics, hopefully someone else can get some...I've put the word out to some people with better contacts than me so maybe they can get some. If anything else ask away, and if I can answer I will."

Hey everyone,

I figured you'd all be interested in what a member of another forum had to say about the EarthQuest theme park model when he was able to visit EMCID last month: (I had many questions for him, all of which were based on notes from the original 2D master plan that Contour Entertainment had developed much earlier last year.) There are specific references to other roller coasters and ride types, so please brush off any of the extra-nerdiness... - this is all from an amusement park-related forum...

"We have been without an amusement park for too long huh? LOL I'm working on something with the map...but I'll answer your questions as best I can...hell, I'll just combine it in to one post since you asked some good ones. Here's the map...which honestly shows more than the model...

EQ5.jpg

Ok, on to your questions...

1. Is there still to be a Dueling Dragons clone?

No, this is no longer shown to be a Dueling Dragons clone...it now appears to be either a B&M invert, or maybe a flyer...although not aware of any flyer that has a Cobra Roll, and part of the track went through the loop ala Kumba, although I don't recall that. It is of course just a model, so lots could change...but with the look of the supports...I'm guessing B&M invert.

2. Is there still a "Glacier Mountain" coaster (this was the second coaster drawn around the base of the mountain in the original park plan)?

Not that I could see...there was a coaster not far to the side of the volcano, but not much detail to it. Looking at it, I'd guess small mine train or possibly a Vekoma rollerskater.

3. Is there still a volcano in the center of the park?

Yes, and using the scale they were using...the thing would be well over 200 feet tall.

4. Is there still a coaster intended for in and around the volcano?

Yes, and this is a strange one. It shows a station, then a long bit of track going through some rock work, then on the other side of the rock work is a 90 degree hill...ala Fahrenheit at HP or a Thrust Air, or maybe even Eurofighter. It then goes into the volcano...the model shows it working in and out of the volcano. Not sure about this one...the layout looks nothing like in the above map.

5. Is there still a lagoon/water show?

Nothing in the model gave any indication of this.

6. Is there still a zoo portion inside the park? (I'd last heard the zoo area was going to be moved outside of the theme park, which would be my preference unless it's done well.)

There is still a zoo area on the back side of the park...but it looks like the only access to it would be through the park

7. Any other interesting landscaped forms?

There appears to be a rapids ride with some nice red rock work. Other than that, nothing that stood out.

8. Are there still supposed to be three to four 4D movies?

Again no indication, none of the buildings were labeled and the only had the general areas labeled...nothing saying what individial attractions would be like the map above.

9. Any good water rides? (At least one big river ride was shown in the original theme park plan)

That still appears there...the red rock looking rapids ride I mentioned above, and it looks like there may be some sort of flume ride.

10. Is there still going to be an "Ice Caves" mirror maze attraction?

There was nothing to give any indication of this...but again, no labels on buildings or model besides general area names.

Ok, besides what you asked about...there also appears to be either an observation tower or drop tower, it was hard to tell which it would be from the model. There also appears to be a skyway ala the old Astroway cable cars at Astroworld going across part of the park. Other than that, there wasn't much you could tell about other rides or the buildings. There were some good sized buildings that might house dark rides or 4-D movies...but sadly nothing was labeled. That's why I'm still not sure why they wouldn't allow pics...nothing was labeled very specific, and nothing was that original that there would be a fear of corportate espionage. LOL I'm sure it's mainly just so when they change that B&M to a Vekoma invert and drop other things, people can't say "But it was on the model...I have pics!" LOL

The model also showed the Dino museum, hotels, a 12 acre waterpark, and an 8 acre FEC(family entertainment center) out front with go-karts, mini golf, arcade, few rides.

Some thigns I didn't like about what I saw...first, no train ride. I don't think a major theme park should ever be without one. Hell, if they're trying to stay all "green" like it sounds...use one that's bio-diesel or electric. Also, no wooden coaster...I always think that's a mistake, but again I guess ripping down tons of trees to make it isn't very green. LOL There also didn't appear to be a lot of shade...something that isn't much fun during a TX summer, although again it's just a model and not going to be too critical. The FEC also scares me because I think it's going to look cheap, and it gives them an out for not building the 70 acre amusement park since it would have a few small carnival rides. Guess we'll just have to see.

That's all I can think of for now...so bummed again that I couldn't get pics, hopefully someone else can get some...I've put the word out to some people with better contacts than me so maybe they can get some. If anything else ask away, and if I can answer I will."

Thanks for the effort

BTW, I guess the volcano will be our Cinderella castle. :P

I very much dislike this project since it will bring with it copius amounts of urban sprawl and disgustingness with it. That area has some of the last vestiges of forest land near Houston and it will only destroy it and leave in its wake banality. Uhg I wish this would be going in where Six Flags was but that is now South Point, which I do like but I wish this park could have gone somewhere closer to the city.

I very much dislike this project since it will bring with it copius amounts of urban sprawl and disgustingness with it. That area has some of the last vestiges of forest land near Houston and it will only destroy it and leave in its wake banality. Uhg I wish this would be going in where Six Flags was but that is now South Point, which I do like but I wish this park could have gone somewhere closer to the city.

You make no sense, this is going to be an uber-green development. I am sure what ever tree come down, dozens more will be planted.

Houston needs a theme park outside the confines of the city. AstroWorld failed because it was at the mercy of someone else's parking lot and it ran out of room to expand because it was land blocked by SAMS, car dealerships, etc. Oh and Six Flags cutting corners here and there did not help either.

You make no sense, this is going to be an uber-green development. I am sure what ever tree come down, dozens more will be planted.

Houston needs a theme park outside the confines of the city. AstroWorld failed because it was at the mercy of someone else's parking lot and it ran out of room to expand because it was land blocked by SAMS, car dealerships, etc. Oh and Six Flags cutting corners here and there did not help either.

Poor Astroworld... Although for the most part at least "fun enough," it was ultimately an absolute dump when compared with, well... just about any US theme or amusement park of at least the same size.

I agree with you, Puma, (and I think it has also been discussed on here previously) - the central location of Astroworld also allowed the park to essentially be a giant babysitter for any family who wanted to just drop their kids off during the summer months. The more unsupervised teens, the less pleasant the park experience.

The farther out this thing can get from the city, the better. It will encourage families to enjoy the resort together, which would hopefully help bring misbehavior down to a minimum.

The aerial rendering on the .pdf linked in my first post on this thread shows a TON of retained forest and greenery. It's my understanding the whole resort, including within the expanse of the theme park, will be constructed around as many trees as possible.

• 4 weeks later...
Poor Astroworld... Although for the most part at least "fun enough," it was ultimately an absolute dump when compared with, well... just about any US theme or amusement park of at least the same size.

I agree with you, Puma, (and I think it has also been discussed on here previously) - the central location of Astroworld also allowed the park to essentially be a giant babysitter for any family who wanted to just drop their kids off during the summer months. The more unsupervised teens, the less pleasant the park experience.

The farther out this thing can get from the city, the better. It will encourage families to enjoy the resort together, which would hopefully help bring misbehavior down to a minimum.

The aerial rendering on the .pdf linked in my first post on this thread shows a TON of retained forest and greenery. It's my understanding the whole resort, including within the expanse of the theme park, will be constructed around as many trees as possible.

Anyone have an update on this project?

For anyone thats too lazy to click the link :P :

The plans for the much anticipated Earth Quest Adventures, slated to be constructed in East Montgomery County, are closer to reality with the fast-approaching ground breaking scheduled for the fall.

East Montgomery County Improvement District President and CEO Frank McCrady discussed the plans for the dinosaur-themed park and museum with the Kingwood Realtor Advisory Board Feb. 12.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

you dirty dog...nice find

edit...here's the link:http://www.iaapa.org/industry/funworld/2009/mar/departments/IndustryNotes.asp

PLANS FOR A NEW 500-ACRE ENTERTAINMENT AND EDUCATIONAL PROJECT, WHICH HAS BEENMISCHARACTERIZED AS A “DINOSAUR PARK” IN SOME NEWS STORIES, are taking shape in New Caney, Texas, about 40 minutes from downtown Houston.

To be called EarthQuest, the development include a for-profit entertainment park complete with rides and other attractions, and a nonprofit educational institute, according to Don Lessem, creator and founder of the park. “It’s a $500 million project with about 50 different rides, including several ‘E-ticket’ rides,” he said, “like going inside a volcano, going through an actual ice cave, launch rides, coasters, and technologies that haven’t been used before.”

The park will be divided into sections— one devoted to sky, one to water, one to land, and one to prehistory, which will be called Pangaea. There will also be a waterpark and an animal park featuring creatures from Africa, South America, and Texas.

At the center of the park, said Lessem, will be the EarthQuest Institute, a $100 million research and educational center comprising 58 acres. “It’s a very interactive environmental presentation,” said Lessum, “and a lot of that is about how we change the way we live. It’s going to have 4-D theaters, reconstructed environments from the past, and lots of very enterprising interactive presentations of new research.”

Lessem said the reason the park has been mischaracterized is because of his reputation for creating traveling and permanent exhibitions featuring dinosaurs, his work as an adviser on the original “Jurassic Park” movie and theme park ride, and his creation of the two largest charities for dinosaur research, all of which have earned him the nickname “Dino” Don.

Lessem noted that Marlin Atlantis is the company behind EarthQuest, and its principal, John Marlin, is a developer who owns the project’s land. Contour Entertainment of Van Nuys, California, has been brought on board to design the project, and Lessum said they’ve already chosen the suppliers they’ll be using for the project. The institute is slated to open in the fall of 2011 and the park in the spring of 2012. Anticipated attendance for the entire project is 3 million annually.

How many rides did Astroworld have?

When was groundbreaking supposed to occur?

Has it? Maybe we should drive up there and poke our nose in.

I can't remember if Atlantis admitted this before...

Located in southeastern Montgomery County, and with direct access to Hwy 59, this planned premier master-planned community will offer parks, trails, a large lake, and recreational facilities. There are planned landscape reserves and greenbelts for a quiet, natural setting. Whitestone, located on the east side of US 59, is the residential community component of a significant mixed-use development. The entertinment venue as well as a major retaiil/commercial development are located on the west side of US 59. Residential homes of various types will appeal to a broad market base. In Whitestone, residents will enjoy living, working, playing, and learning, all within the community. Planned are churches, a school site, daycare facilities, shopping, offices, and restaurants.

http://www.marlinatlantis.com/ma_whitestone.html

you dirty dog...nice find

edit...here's the link:http://www.iaapa.org/industry/funworld/2009/mar/departments/IndustryNotes.asp

How many rides did Astroworld have?

13 when astroworld first opened, 10 when it closed.

http://www.coasterphotos.com/SFAW/t3.htm

When was groundbreaking supposed to occur?

Im guessing later this year.

13 when astroworld first opened, 10 when it closed.

http://www.coasterphotos.com/SFAW/t3.htm

Im guessing later this year.

This link says Q3/2009 or early 2010

http://www.communitychamber.com/custom2.asp?pageid=3007

I wonder of many of these 50 rides will be roller coaster?. And it seems your number for Astroworld was just rollercoasters, right? Venture to guess what they had total

• 4 weeks later...

Also found this info:

the museum will have wind turbines on the roof and will generate its own

electricity. Total development is estimated to be $1.5 billion. County officials report that the

complex (not including the retail) is expecting between 2-2.5 million annual visitors, with an

average stay of two days.

Phase 1 of the project is scheduled to include the theme park and two hotels

• 3 weeks later...

Archived