Earth Quest Adventures

Boris

And they are making it appeal to the whole family (hence the partnership with the Houston Zoo, live animal exibits, shows, kiddie coasters, etc.), as well as adults (the eco-friendly stuff, more "extreme" roller coasters, etc.).

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When it comes down to it, Disney doesn't have a lot of great rides. They have a few great ones and a bunch of filler. If someone is going to choose to attend a theme park purely for rides and adrenaline rushes, they aren't going to go to Disney. Yet, Disney hauls in the crowds. It is because they sell the experience as something the whole family will enjoy. You are right, kids do not care about eco-friendly, but they do care about Mickey Mouse. If parents were basing it purely on their own enjoyment, many wouldn't go to Disney, they would go to parks with a high coaster count. But, they want their kids to enjoy it also, so they go somewhere the kids will enjoy it, probably more than they will. When we take our toddler to Disney in a year or so, it is going to mostly for him. That is why a park of this magnitude has to be appealing to the whole family to survive.

Even though it won't be the single defining theme to the park, I bet the presence of dinosaurs and a volcano would be enough to get kids excited.

It gets me excited anyhow, and I am nothing more than a kid in adult clothing.

Hey, guys... Where's the money for this coming from?

It doesn't sound like they have financing. I think we all just got suckered in by the press.

Yes and no. From my understanding, a considerable portion of their financing has yet to materialize, but they're betting the buzz will generate enough good will equity to make the project appear less risky to potential investors.

And they are making it appeal to the whole family (hence the partnership with the Houston Zoo, live animal exibits, shows, kiddie coasters, etc.), as well as adults (the eco-friendly stuff, more "extreme" roller coasters, etc.).

We will see if that is the case. I hope it works, but when the direct competition is so strong, it isn't a matter of whether or not it is appealing, it is a matter of whether or not it is as appealing as the competition and can it bring repeat business. For most families it is an either/or decision, as most will not go to both EQ and Disney (or some other park) within a certain timeframe. I have no doubt that initially it will draw people and families. The more important question is whether or not they will come back time and time again. The landscape is riddled with ventures that seemed really cool, took off, and were gone a few years later after the novelty wore off. That is why I think it is essential to appeal to families over the long-term. If people come, but don't come back, this will fail.

We will see if that is the case. I hope it works, but when the direct competition is so strong, it isn't a matter of whether or not it is appealing, it is a matter of whether or not it is as appealing as the competition and can it bring repeat business. For most families it is an either/or decision, as most will not go to both EQ and Disney (or some other park) within a certain timeframe. I have no doubt that initially it will draw people and families. The more important question is whether or not they will come back time and time again. The landscape is riddled with ventures that seemed really cool, took off, and were gone a few years later after the novelty wore off. That is why I think it is essential to appeal to families over the long-term. If people come, but don't come back, this will fail.

Disney is really the only destination park I can think of in the US, and people won't want to do that every year. As you previously mentioned, the rides aren't really all that great.

They won't be going to Disney every year. Plus, if someone in Oklahoma goes to Disney one year, maybe the next year's family vacation, they want to go somewhere closer to home. They can stop by EQA. When (well, if) I-69 is completed, it'll provide more access for the center third of this country, too. But, it's a theme park. I'm sure they'll add/expand on more things to keep everything fresh. I don't know why people wouldn't come back. People go back to Disney and Universal all of the time. Hell, people go back to Six Flags parks all of the time. Why would EQA be any different?

Disney is really the only destination park I can think of in the US, and people won't want to do that every year. As you previously mentioned, the rides aren't really all that great.

But it's an institution. That goes a long way. Even moreso when the Disney brand is promoted on TV shows, movies, toys, etc. Kids, and therefore families, like familiarity. Given a choice between what they know (Disney characters) and what they don't know (regardless of how cool/entertaining it may be), most kids would prefer the known entity. That is the biggest uphill climb for a venture like this, to brand yourself appropriately and well.

There are a lot of great bands, but if they aren't heard, it doesn't matter how good they are. The artists on American Idol and the radio aren't even remotely close to being the best artists out there, but they are what people hear and are familiar with. There are many crappy imcumbent politicians, but name-recognition goes a long way to their being re-elected. Theme parks are no different. EQ could be twice as good as Disney on every level that we think is important, but it doesn't matter if kids still feel more connected to Disney.

They won't be going to Disney every year. Plus, if someone in Oklahoma goes to Disney one year, maybe the next year's family vacation, they want to go somewhere closer to home. They can stop by EQA. When (well, if) I-69 is completed, it'll provide more access for the center third of this country, too. But, it's a theme park. I'm sure they'll add/expand on more things to keep everything fresh. I don't know why people wouldn't come back. People go back to Disney and Universal all of the time. Hell, people go back to Six Flags parks all of the time. Why would EQA be any different?

They will be going to Disney every year if they like it better. Sure, those within a certain vicinity will tend to go to EQA, purely for logistical reasons. But I doubt if EQA can survive if they end up being a regional park. Something of this magnitude (cost) will have to bring in people from afar over the long-term. The reason that people go to both Disney and Universal is that they are close to each other. That actually is a plus for Disney (and Universal) as the more options there are, the likelier people are to travel to that region. You can hit them both on one trip.

Maybe EQA won't be any different, but that is yet to be seen. Disney is probably the greatest marketing machine anywhere. They empty your pockets and you still want to come back. They have you believing that their product is better than it probably is. We will see if EQA has the ability to do that.

They will be going to Disney every year if they like it better. Sure, those within a certain vicinity will tend to go to EQA, purely for logistical reasons. But I doubt if EQA can survive if they end up being a regional park. Something of this magnitude (cost) will have to bring in people from afar over the long-term. The reason that people go to both Disney and Universal is that they are close to each other. That actually is a plus for Disney (and Universal) as the more options there are, the likelier people are to travel to that region. You can hit them both on one trip.

Maybe EQA won't be any different, but that is yet to be seen. Disney is probably the greatest marketing machine anywhere. They empty your pockets and you still want to come back. They have you believing that their product is better than it probably is. We will see if EQA has the ability to do that.

It was said earlier in the thread that the developers for EQA are planning for this to be a national/international attraction and not just a regional thing (the plans prove that really). Hopefully other attractions come into that side of town and then what you said will come true. Maybe we can transport Sea World from San Antonio over here. ;)

It was said earlier in the thread that the developers for EQA are planning for this to be a national/international attraction and not just a regional thing

Yeah, and DIVX planned to sell alot of movies. And Coca-Cola planned to sell a lot of New Coke. And so on and so on.

Yeah, and DIVX planned to sell alot of movies. And Coca-Cola planned to sell a lot of New Coke. And so on and so on.

And Facebook was never going to kill MySpace. And Apple was never going to be ahead of Microsoft again. Etc.

I've never been to Disney and don't really have a desire to go, never did as a kid either. I preferred places with 1) good rides or 2) interactive learning type things like museums or zoos or 3) awesome outdoor things like mountains. Now that I have kids maybe Disney will happen, but the only thing driving it would be my 2 year old daughter's obsession with the Disney princesses. I couldn't tell you why a boy would want to go that badly, all of it is very little-girl-centric. An intense love of mickey? Nah. It's all the hype they put around it.

Disneyland was built in the middle of orange fields with no surrounding attractions. The other attractions built up around it to capitalize on its success. The same thing happened with Disney World. I'm not saying that this is going to be another Disney, but you have to start somewhere.

Don't forget that five of the 20 largest cities in the United States are within driving distance of EQA, even if they are only able to draw a limited audience from outside the region they should still be able to succeed.

I'm sure anyone who plans to build a half billion dollar theme park has probably done just a tad more research than people who surf the internet. Can you imagine if the company that finances this project later comes to HAIF and realizes they forgot to figure in future growth expenses, the success of other regional theme parks, the conditions that led to the demise of our last big theme park and local attitudes about green tech?

I have confidence that if they ever open this place will be one the single greatest things to hit the Houston area in decades. It certainly will when it is brand new. It has more potential to turn the Houston area into a tourist destination than anything that has ever been built before. I know that sounds weird since we aren't used to living near a national tourist destination, but neither was Orlando, Florida in 1970 or Anaheim, California in 1954. Something unique and original turned those cities into major tourist destinations and there's no reason to believe that the EQ can't have the same effect on New Caney if they do it right.

I'm sure anyone who plans to build a half billion dollar theme park has probably done just a tad more research than people who surf the internet.

Market research analysts do surf the internet.

More importantly, though: in the hands of developers, research and propaganda have very little difference in meaning. When research exists solely for the sake of generating interest in the project among prospective equity partners and lenders, you can bet that it will be optimistic. And you can't forget that the developer is way more interested in collecting fees from his partners than that the returns on investment ever meet expectations.

Don Lessum responded in the Chronicle blog regarding the park and made some very interesting and informative comments.

http://blogs.chron.com/houstonshiring/2010/06/earthquest_adventures_an_eco_g_1.html

As the creator of the Earthquest Adventures project and the independent nonprofit EarthQuest Institute, I'd like to both thank all of those commenting and try to answer some of the questions and doubts expressed. Given the history of the theme park industry in Houston, Astroworld and Six Flags especially, I shared your concerns - at least when I entered into this project. If I haven't answered your questions, please feel free to write me here or personally, with any other questions I haven't remembered to address, as these emails are forwarded to the person questioned.

So here goes:

GREEN - That's not the usual eco promoting baloney which I find infuriating. The park is not only themed around preservation of the environment, it actually does so in every way we can. This is not some paved over playland. The 500 acre woodland site in E. Montgomery County will be preserved, down to the trees and streams, with added trails and recreational features available to all, not just those who buy park tickets.

The park will recycle its water, and use solar and other alternative fuels. There is not enough of any of these to fuel an entire park and wind is far too variable in Houston for wind generation. But all those features and others, such as algae farming will be demonstrated.

There will also be a wildlife breeding preserve in coordination with the Houston Zoo and a separate low-cost activity area for areas families wishing a few hours entertainment only.

At the core of the park is an independent nonprofit Institute which provides information and activities for visitors so they can see rather than read about ways they can incorporate sustainable practices into everyday life - from housing to transportation. An "incubator" facility for green businesses is also included.

RIDES - There are more than 50. Several are traditional coasters and all the "whirl and hurl" rides people love, others are water rides of a form, though not extent, available at big parks elsewhere. But many new technologies including, for example, the audience choosing which wild river to follow, are incorporated. More importantly each activity and themed area (Water, Land, Past, etc.) is themed around the natural world.

VIABILITY - Three different top international entertainment industry analysts have all predicted a very favorable return, sufficient to attract several bidders to finance the project - those offers are being weighed with a commitment by end of year. This is not a fly-by-night operation or scam. More than 7 million has been spent on development of the project to date under the supervision of ex-Disney executives at Contour Entertainment in Los Angeles. The projections for 1.5 million or more visitors are entirely from a 2 hour drive radius. Given its unique nature and as the only park of its scale in the middle of the country, I do think the park will attract many from much farther away, but we have no way to quantify that so it is not in our estimates.

WHY HOUSTON - Yes, the weather is awful but you go out in anyway. This is a relatively prosperous, young community, and the fourth largest in the country, yet the only major city without a big amusement facility. As personal savings shrink, unfortunately, these days, an attraction close to home is increasingly important. We chose Houston after a nationwide search and dozens of offers of community support because of these factors and the innovative support of the East Montgomery County Improvement Board.

Our prices will be competitive with other theme parks, and again, I think we'll offer something more and different for your money.

JOBS - Of the forecast 1500 jobs on site, some will be high-paid managerial and executive positions, others low-paying - just as in any industry. Many of the lower-paying jobs will likely be filled by young adults who at present have no employment opportunities, though available to all. Tax benefits to the area are in the billions by expert analysis, and 15,000 ancillary jobs will result if we continue to do our job right, and if you come!

Best wishes,

Don Lessem

Those Chronicle comments are vicious. People really don't know what the hell they are talking about.

Chron commenters aren't well known for their subtlety or their sense. Mention Montrose and they scream about gay skeeters and pedophiles hiding in the bushes. Mention soccer and they cry about illegal immigration. Mention an eco-friendly park and they moan about no-skintific-evydense-fer-Gorebal-warming. They aren't important to any meaningful discussion.

Chron commenters aren't well known for their subtlety or their sense. Mention Montrose and they scream about gay skeeters and pedophiles hiding in the bushes. Mention soccer and they cry about illegal immigration. Mention an eco-friendly park and they moan about no-skintific-evydense-fer-Gorebal-warming. They aren't important to any meaningful discussion.

Chron commenters and people like them represent a significant customer base. I applaud the developer for proactively addressing them. An earthy or sciency theme might stick (and if ever there was a city that would embrace it, it'd be Houston), but the theme park component needs to be about affordable family fun, not about personal responsibility or the "green" movement.

Chron commenters and people like them represent a significant customer base.

They'll writhe around in their hatred of progressive ideas until the park is built, regardless of what Don Lessum tells them. Once the park is built they'll go anyhow. The lure of rollercoasters is too strong for even the most devout anti-environmentalists. The same would work the opposite way too. If a theme park was built in the middle of BP's new and improved Gulf of Mexico, unshaven hippies would attend and worry about the tar stuck to their Birkenstocks later. If fun can be had, ideologies can wait.

I'm sure some will take great comfort reading that Don Lessum finds the usual eco-promoting baloney infuriating. I think learning about green things can be interesting, but nobody likes preachiness. EQ really seems on the ball with this.

No doubt that as long as they have 50 whirl and hurl rides, they can stick whatever theming they want into it and people will be standing in lines to empty their pockets at EQ.

As far as chronicle comments. Those blowhards complaining about scams, clear-cutting, traffic, and noise will be the first ones standing in line to empty their pockets at EQ. Then they'll be at the Chron the next day complaining how horrible it all was, and then go back to the park again in a few months.

As long as they don't try to smack me in the head with it, I'll go, but I might have to resort to hijacking someone's kids and take them there.

I know this is WAAAY too soon to think about, but once this thing gets built and the second phase starts going into full swing, I wonder if some sort of transit system will be built out in that direction. Liberty County might HAVE to join metro at that point.

As long as they don't try to smack me in the head with it, I'll go, but I might have to resort to hijacking someone's kids and take them there.

I know this is WAAAY too soon to think about, but once this thing gets built and the second phase starts going into full swing, I wonder if some sort of transit system will be built out in that direction. Liberty County might HAVE to join metro at that point.

Nah, counties don't join METRO because they can't levy the 1% sales tax. It has to be a municipality. And frankly, Liberty or Dayton are just too small and too far removed from Houston's economy (or from EQA) for that to be a priority. They'd probably rather implement a 4A/4B economic development sales tax instead. Besides, they should have a new freeway, US 90, to get them inside the loop with minimal hassle.

• 2 weeks later...

New article from the Chronicle:

A small group has since been studying and drawing plans for an upscale Disney-styled entertainment complex that would be seven times larger than Houston's original park. They want to build it on 500 wooded acres — which they own — adjacent to U.S. 59 in Montgomery County, just a short drive from the airport and downtown Houston.

But the plan is now two years behind schedule. Organizers say this is because their vision has slowly evolved from a 50-acre dinosaur park to EarthQuest — an elaborate ecofriendly entertainment zone that teaches environmental stewardship.

The $500 million project was also stalled by the sluggish economy, but now organizers are hoping to have financing by year's end and construction completed by 2013.

"In the last 60 days, things have loosened up. We're looking at five investor groups to see who's a fit," said John Marlin, a Dallas real estate investor who owns the site. "I feel the wind is at our backs."

The organizers will not disclose those investors' identities, except to say some are domestic and others are international, with some not requiring any debt service.

More: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/7107178.html

I hope all the recent attention from Houston's major news organizations is a positive sign that the ball is REALLY rolling now. It sure sounds like it is. In the last several weeks there have been 2 articles in the Chron and one by ABC13. Many people in Houston and elsewhere are just now finding out about EQ. I wish Marlin/Atlantis would just pick one of the investors that does not require any debt service and build it already.

Yeah, a lot of people are starting to find out about the park now. I don't think it'll be too long before the park is the lead or highlight story for any one of the news stations here. We can only hope that CNN or MSNBC picks up the story and does a little report on it.

• 3 weeks later...
EarthQuest plans remain on schedule

By KRISTY THOMAS

Updated: 07.30.10

Amid some doubts and local concerns about the EarthQuest project coming to East Montgomery County, Frank McCrady, president of the East Montgomery County Improvement District, said that the project is still on schedule as planned.

“The park is still on track to open late 2012, early 2013 and we will break ground either at the end of this year or early 2011,” McCrady said.

Recent articles and online polls suggest that some in the community have doubts about whether the park will actually happen. Some area residents say they have been “hearing” about this park for at least three years, but have yet to see any sign that progress is being made toward the park’s opening.

“People will know exactly when we will start working on the park. We will have an official groundbreaking ceremony where the community, media and businesses will be welcome to come and join us for the first start of construction,” McCrady said.

Area residents have expressed mixed feelings about the park and what it will mean to EMC. Some community members and businesses agree that even though there will be more traffic in the area, the growth to the community would bring positive changes.

“Traffic will definitely be a concern, and that is my main concern. Growth is always painful and change is hard, but over time I believe people will adjust, and if the EarthQuest team keeps their promotional promises, it will be very worth it,” said Jacqueline Beck, a resident of Roman Forest.

McCrady agrees that with any community change comes concerns from residents, and there are always growing pains with added projects like this to any community.

“Naturally, there will be more congestion; it is the nature of the area. Any additional growth will be good and bad to some in the community. We are still working with the city and state to relieve any burdens that come with the growth in the area,” McCrady said.

Other community members agree that even with the additional traffic, the park located in the area itself will add a positive side to them personally.

More at the link: http://www.hcnonline.com/articles/2010/07/31/east_montgomery/news/30emcearthquest.txt

Those Chronicle comments are vicious. People really don't know what the hell they are talking about.

They ran an article on the Kindle and tons of people replied with "Yeah, but it won't read to me" or "I'm not paying for 3g."

The kindle has Text To Speech and it says "3g included at NO CHARGE" No one reads!

Hope this theme park materializes quick though, I'm tired of driving to Dallas to go to Six Flags. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A couple of new articles on EarthQuest Adventures:

Dennis Speigel, president of International Theme Park Services Inc., says multiple groups are pursuing plans for at least two separate theme parks in the Houston area.

One of those planned projects is a 1,600-acre mega resort which would be anchored by Earthquest Adventure, a new theme park slated for an area in Montgomery County north of Houston.

Speigel says he expects that Houston will get a new theme park and San Antonio will get some new competition for visitors. But SeaWorld San Antonio President Dan Decker says a new theme park in Houston would benefit the Alamo City because it would bring more people to Texas.

http://sanantonio.bi.../13/story5.html

For those who, like me, were left with an insatiable black hole where AstroWorld used to be, fear not. Houston might (maybe!) be getting another theme park.

And it's not just any old theme park — in fact, its proposed sheer size (1,600 acres) makes AstroWorld look like the Delaware State Fair. The proposed EarthQuest Adventures is an "edutainment" resort that includes a theme park, water park, hotel, institute and perhaps even a residential component. The massive resort is proposed for Montgomery County about 30 miles north of downtown Houston (and 15 miles from IAH), and the expanse of its operations make it more comparable to Disney Word than to AstroWorld.

And that's fitting, because its founders are all ex-Disney execs. The connections run deep, too — one of the speakers at last night's private presentation at Kirksey Architecture to an audience of developers, architects and contractors was the voice of Dale the Chipmunk before he became an engineer. CultureMap was the only media outlet in the meeting.

These imagineers, as they call themselves, have dreamt up a world where eco-education is fun, and profitable.

http://culturemap.co...eco-theme-park/

"I think everyone was surprised when that study came back and showed that a world-class themed attraction with an investment level of $500 to $600 million was feasible in Houston," said Marlin.

That big money buys a park that's described as a little Disney and a little Astroworld. Along with the rides and a water park, there would be hotels, a conference center and a huge mall-like dining and shopping area. It'll all have the Earthquest nature theme.

The master plan has parts of the park spread on both sides of Highway 59, including what the developers call a large eco-tourism area.

"It's where families can come camp, hike and bike trails, rope courses, horseback riding," Marlin said. "They can get a feel for nature and have fun back in the woods."

So far, investors have pumped $30 million into the project just for the land and plans. The state and the East Montgomery County Improvement District have offered up tax incentives, too.

McCrady says Earthquest is more of a gift than a gamble, and there was competition.

"From our board's perspective, we were not going to allow Dallas to have this project," McCrady said. "It's coming to Houston."

http://www.click2hou...900/detail.html

Edit: By the way, anyone go to the meeting last Wednesday?

Archived