Earth Quest Adventures

Boris

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, I wonder if the Earth Walk is supposed to be like CityWalk?

I think it is, go here http://www.earthquestadventures.com/ and flip over until you get to the Earthwalk picture.

and then look at this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:City_walk_2007.jpg

It looks like the same concept to me.

This is probably the coolest theme park I have ever seen! It takes you into the past, the present and the future. I hope it blows all of the theme parks in Florida and California out of the water! Hopefully it will be a huge draw to the Houston area (although I hate long lines). And Maybe it will bring in competition to the area. I know it will probably cause the Kemah boardwalk to add more rides, etc. I wonder if Tillman Fertitta has ever thought about building a true theme park in Houston? And I wonder if the owners of the park will eventually try to sell the park to Universal, Disney, or Busch Gardens (hopefully not Sixflags)?

• 2 months later...

Here's my general summary of what was discussed, what went down at the 6/2 Fundraiser:

(This is a post I've revised from my original post on www.sixflagshouston.com, and I will also post this on www.houstondinopark.com )

There was about an hour of socializing/networking from 6pm-7pm, then about an hour's worth of presentations. Don Lessem spoke first, and introduced Dr. Matt Gardner (of EarthQuest Institute). Dr. Gardner then relayed to Chris Brown (of Contour Entertainment). Dr. Gardner then spoke in greater depth on EarthQuest Institute and its initiatives (the reason for the event, of course) once Chris was finished with his presentation on the theme park. Don Holbrook, Marlin Atlantis' (the developer's) representative on this project, then spoke and gave the great and reasonable pitch which solicited donations. Everyone made themselves available for questions after the presentation was over.

No new information was presented on the EarthQuest Adventures theme park - nothing that wasn't covered at last December's fundraising event, and nothing that's not currently reviewed on the EarthQuest Adventures website. A few new renderings for the 'Land' and 'Sky' areas of the park were on display, but general conceptual design remains the same as what we've all seen. All other renderings on display were those already available on the EQ website.

The EarthQuest Institute, as a complete endeavour, is extremely ambitious and exciting, and a few new outreach programs/efforts were reviewed last night:

Mobile EarthQuest: A sharply-outfitted minivan (or even fleet of minivans) with professional staff which can bring the EarthQuest Institute experience to public parks (Discovery Green, maybe), public schools, the rodeo, sports events, etc. This will be primarily an educational experience, but will serve nicely as a marketing tool for "EarthQuest the destination."

MyVision: An educational program geared toward younger school children, which allows them to learn about video camera operation. This program will essentially help them create their own video diaries. "How they see the world...," etc. This effort is apparently being created in conjunction with some Hollywood professionals, and YouTube may play some voluntary or involuntary role in the posting of kids' video diaries...

Other programs or engagements have also begun being discussed, like engaging local colleges and universities in developing and even publically-presenting Green-Business strategies... Anyway... interesting stuff.

Regarding personal conversations I had with Chris Brown (again, of Contour Entertainment) - One item on which I'm pleased to report is that original music will be commissioned for the EarthQuest Resort, likely by industry-known composers with whom Chris certainly has long-established relationships. Very great to hear.

(Chris, if you're reading this, thanks very much for putting up with me - You'll see me at most, if not all of the EQI Fundraising events... While I absolutely am interested in questions like 'What kinds of roller coasters will be built?,' I'm dead-serious about the success of all the components of this project, and hope to not come across too nutty. Heh, heh... And hey, I've put money where my mouth is.)

Frank McCrady and Don Holbrook spoke with me briefly, and they have great expecations for other development there in East Montgomery County - for which EarthQuest will be the catalyst.

Don Holbrook stated to all the attendees yesterday evening that "We're at the 1-yard line with selecting an investor." Full ground breaking is expected by the end of this year at the latest. Putting 2 and 2 together, I'd speculate a Holiday Season 2013 grand opening of Phase I.

That's all I have to report. I'd encourage all of you to attend future fundraisers to support the Institute and its efforts, or contact EMCID directly to find out more about the various donation levels to become a "Friend of the Institute." You have the option to donate money over annual installments, of which I personally have taken advantage.

Great Report Tiger.

I think what impresses me most about this project is that the people involved seem committed to build a quality resort that will offer some quality entertainment. Of coarse I'm sure the developers are ultimately concerned with making a profit, but it really sounds like they have no interest in building a cheap looking or cheesy road side local attraction (Six Flags Parks) or sacrificing quality to save a buck - like so many developers have done in Houston.

When I first heard about this project, I wasn't that interested in the institute side or the 'green' aspects (I only wanted some good roller coasters and a nice park)- but the more I read about it, the more I think they are really on to something here. There is a lot of 'green' technology that the general public (including myself) is not aware of but would be interested in knowing about (gadgets, exhibitions, displays, ideas, theories, ect) and I could really see the institute causing people to come to the resort from all over the country to see these kinds of exhibitions. Another 'wild west' theme park with a few roller coasters and rides would not really attract anyone further away than Houston, but a theme park and resort that is themed with 'green' technology is a really unique idea. Besides "going green" is so 'IN' these days, this resort should really be able to capitalize if they do it right.

As far-fetched as the thought of the Houston area becoming a true national tourist destination sounds, something like EarthQuest could really make it happen.

Great Report Tiger.

As far-fetched as the thought of the Houston area becoming a true national tourist destination sounds, something like EarthQuest could really make it happen.

Sure thing, Coaster.

A few more notes: Don Holbrook did mention EarthQuest Resort is intended to "compete directly with 'the mouse,'" from both coasts, and the expectation is that EarthQuest will draw people from the center third of the country. So it's literally expected to grow to be the Disneyland-style resort for the center of the country.

From discussions I had with Chris Brown, or overheard from him yesterday evening, a LOT of the components seem to have Phases now, which will only help Phase I get built:

The Hotel has two: The first is the tower/main building/conference center (so nicely rendered on the EarthQuest website). The second Phase seems to include 30 high-end cabins out in the woods near the hotel, as well as something like 20 highest-end treehouse "villas."

Cretaceous Cove water park has apparently been scaled down for Phase I, and will grow in future phases.

EarthQuest Institute seems like it may use two or three Phases to achieve final build-out.

The only Phasing for the theme park ever noted thus far seems to be the live-animal component of the 'Life' section of the park. I didn't note earlier that the Design Team has met with the Houston Zoo, and both the Houston Zoo and EarthQuest will have some form of partnership, which is just great! (I'd expressed concern earlier to the Design Team that the live-animal component of the 'Life' section of the theme park might draw everyone away from visiting the Houston Zoo. So I'm pleased to report that's not going to be the case, or the intent.)

Green Gadget Garage seems like it would all likely be completed as part of Phase I.

TXTiger - good info. I have had an appointment pending to write a story on this. I plan to start with your stuff and do my interview based on that. This has my interest in many ways. I am glad to see someone willing to put up money for information. I am a pauper in that regard. I hope to bring this project to life in words.

From discussions I had with Chris Brown, or overheard from him yesterday evening, a LOT of the components seem to have Phases now, which will only help Phase I get built:

I agree. Building in phases increases the chances of breaking ground - soon I hope.

When I first heard about this project, I wasn't that interested in the institute side or the 'green' aspects (I only wanted some good roller coasters and a nice park)- but the more I read about it, the more I think they are really on to something here.

I think this is the best part of the park, and certainly the part that intrigues me the most. Even without the present commercial viability of "going green", the research institute could potentially become a huge force in scientific discovery, provided the revenue stream from the park is at least partially diverted to its funding. Without a doubt, an institute with as much potential as this one could do more for neighboring universities' respective earth sciences departments than millions in alumni donations. By mere proximity to the institution side of this park, the University of Houston and Sam Houston State could attract and retain much bigger talent in the fields of Paleoarchaology, Anthropology, Paleontology and Biology. It could literally transform these schools from tier two to tier one status virtually overnight (within those departments anyhow).

Don't get me wrong. I'm excited about the rides too, but I'm mostly excited by the institute. Not to mention, we'll be home of two major scientific institutes if this place is built: NASA, which uses science to look toward our future, and Earth Quest, which uses science to reveal our past.

If this is built out according to plan, Astroworld shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with it.

I'll say. AstroWorld was on a 104 acre plot of land. The park used about 75 acres for AstroWorld and about 10 acres for WaterWorld. The rest of the land was used for offices, storage, employee parking, ect. And there was very little room to expand.

By comparison, the entire EarthQuest project when completely built out (if ever) will cover over 1600 acres. About 500 of those acres (on the west side of Hwy 59) will be used for the actual resort. The rest (on the east side of Hwy 59) will be used for housing, shopping, hotels, ect.

I don't know how many acres the theme park itself will cover when it is first built. I would hope that it will be at least as big as AstroWorld and WaterWorld combined or larger. AstroWorld never really seemed very big compared to other theme parks. And although it certainly had it's share of disadvantages, I was and still am very sorry that it was needlessly destroyed. 5 summers in Houston with no major theme park is just dismal. But if they ever build EarthQuest, Cinco is right - Astroworld shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with it.

I'll say. AstroWorld was on a 104 acre plot of land. The park used about 75 acres for AstroWorld and about 10 acres for WaterWorld. The rest of the land was used for offices, storage, employee parking, ect. And there was very little room to expand.

By comparison, the entire EarthQuest project when completely built out (if ever) will cover over 1600 acres. About 500 of those acres (on the west side of Hwy 59) will be used for the actual resort. The rest (on the east side of Hwy 59) will be used for housing, shopping, hotels, ect.

I don't know how many acres the theme park itself will cover when it is first built. I would hope that it will be at least as big as AstroWorld and WaterWorld combined or larger. AstroWorld never really seemed very big compared to other theme parks. And although it certainly had it's share of disadvantages, I was and still am very sorry that it was needlessly destroyed. 5 summers in Houston with no major theme park is just dismal. But if they ever build EarthQuest, Cinco is right - Astroworld shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence with it.

Yeah, I would like to know the amount of park space this place will cover. I don't really count the development on the east side of 59 and not even the retail spaces that will abut the freeway.

And what else is the Resort gonna have that requires 500 acres?

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I've been telling everyone about this who mentions that we don't have a theme park anymore and also I've been hearing from more people that they've heard of it too, so the word is getting around. Also yesterday I talked to a guy who's company made a bid to work on this project, so that's a good sign.

I really hope this comes to fruition, but it seems like the type of thing that could be a disaster and lose a ton of money, if it ever even gets started.

2 of my concerns are:

1. The "green" theme. That can easily come across as too heavy-handed for a lot of people. Being eco-friendly is nice, but if visitors are constantly beaten over the head with it, it's gonna annoy a decent chunk of them. I mentioned this park to a couple of people yesterday (who hadn't heard of it) and told them the eco-friendly/green concept, and they both went "ugh." That's not the first thing you want people to say when they hear about your new theme park.

2. Will kids want to go there? On the outside, it looks like there is a lot of stuff that kids will enjoy, but the reason that Disney is so revered by children are the characters and the history behind them and the name. Given a choice and all thing being relatively equal, are kids going to want to go here or the place with the characters they see on TV and movie screens every day. Kids are not going to care about "green", so there has to be something other than fun rides and activities to pull them in. Branding and appeal to children is going to be perhaps the most important aspect as to whether or not this place is a success.

That said, I really hope it is huge.

I really hope this comes to fruition, but it seems like the type of thing that could be a disaster and lose a ton of money, if it ever even gets started.

2 of my concerns are:

1. The "green" theme. That can easily come across as too heavy-handed for a lot of people. Being eco-friendly is nice, but if visitors are constantly beaten over the head with it, it's gonna annoy a decent chunk of them. I mentioned this park to a couple of people yesterday (who hadn't heard of it) and told them the eco-friendly/green concept, and they both went "ugh." That's not the first thing you want people to say when they hear about your new theme park.

2. Will kids want to go there? On the outside, it looks like there is a lot of stuff that kids will enjoy, but the reason that Disney is so revered by children are the characters and the history behind them and the name. Given a choice and all thing being relatively equal, are kids going to want to go here or the place with the characters they see on TV and movie screens every day. Kids are not going to care about "green", so there has to be something other than fun rides and activities to pull them in. Branding and appeal to children is going to be perhaps the most important aspect as to whether or not this place is a success.

Here is why I think this park will be a success.

1. Houston is the largest metro area in the country not served by a major theme park. Green or not, politics or not, this park will be an easy drive for 6 million people with kids looking for family entertainment. Even AstroWorld with all it's issues made a profit (less, right before they closed it) because they were the only large theme park serving the Houston area. Right now people in the Houston area have to go to San Antonio or DFW or even further away for this type of entertainment. The EQ people know that all those dollars would be staying in the Houston area if there was a theme park nearby.

2. Like it or not green is 'in'. It could be the circles one travels in, but everyone I mention this park to thinks that a green theme park is a very fresh idea. There are plenty of parks in the world that use culture and fantasy as themes. But this park will use science and green technology to peak people's interest. Something I think I read on the EQ website mentioned that there are all these green gadgets, green technology exhibits, ideas and theories that many people would be interested in but have no idea about because there has never been any place to showcase them and those are the kinds of exhibits that EQ will have. I've also read that EQ is not just going for the Houston market, they have ambitions that this park/resort is going to compete with 'the mouse'.

If EQ creates a quality resort and park and get the word out that there is a place that will be both fun and promotes the environment, I think people will come from all over to see it. The key is QUALITY and FUN. The education angle is what is fresh in the theme park business and could really make EQ special to people of ALL ages.

The education angle is what is fresh in the theme park business and could really make EQ special to people of ALL ages.

I concur that a science and technology theme could be made to work...but it's one thing to have dubious mid-20th-century exhibits of the homes and cities of the 21st century (a la Disney), and it's a whole other thing if the idea is to preach personal responsibility and/or push fiscally inconvenient solutions to debatable problems. All other things being equal with respect to the quality of the rides, I think that people are just more receptive to acquisitive messages and themes.

I don't think a comparison to Astroworld is apt as far as profitability goes. By the end, Astroworld was a bare bones operation which spent nothing on the niceties that will be a large part of the EQ park. Astroworld was doing just what it took to run the rides and staff the food courts, shops, and midway area. They were no longer selling an entire experience, just selling a place to ride roller coasters. The Disney-type park requires that a tremendous amount of money continuously be spent in elevating it from a mere "park with rides" to an themed experience. Obviously the "entire experience" park can work, but it isn't a sure thing. It has to resonate.

As far as "green" goes, I think it will definitely have some appeal to older kids and adults, at least in the short-term, but I'm not sure those are the most important customers, and I'm also not sure it is a sustainable theme over the long haul. Also, I would think that "middle America" is going to be their largest customer base, given the location in Texas, and "green" isn't as considered here as it is on the coasts. As was mentioned above, trying to force the theme on an audience that doesn't want it would be a huge mistake.

I hope they can find the right balance.

If you look deep into what the park will have, "Green" is only one part of it. Saving the environment, etc., is not going to run out in ten, twenty, even thirty years. I think the park's theme, and what it will have is very sustainable.

Well, so far, I have enjoyed the reactions of those that were interviewed on the piece. It is going to be interesting how this might be a BIT of a population shift.

One thing that I'm very curious about is how they are going to design the park, particularly if its supposed to be on both sides of 59. If it isn't planned properly, they may find themselves losing a. Sizable chunk due to land siezed to widen that thing.

Also, the taxes genereated by this are going to be a god send for New Caney.

One thing that surely won't draw anyone further away than Houston would be another stale wild west or superhero theme park. Culture theme parks are EVERYWHERE. At least a green theme park is an original idea that hasn't been done to death. I can't imagine there being a theme park with cool rides (roller coasters shot out of volcanos, ect.) and people not coming to it because they are offended by solar panels and windmills.

But, If going green ever becomes a turn off to the masses, EQ can still theme rides, shows, and exhibits after ecology and nature without stepping on anyone's toes or worrying about getting too preachy about it. Tornados, hurricanes, volcanos, earthquakes, animals, water, and natural science can be as exciting and as interesting as Superman and Batman. From what I've seen at the EQ website it looks like ecology and science is as much apart of the theming as green tech.

Personally, EQ's theme could be about 'destroying the earth' and promote the leaking of crude oil into the gulf of Mexico as a good thing and I would STILL want it to be built.

But all sarcasm aside, I really think they are on to something good and positive here, and I bet they get a lot of supportive sponsors - especially from certain oil companies that need some good publicity to show how environmentally conscience they are.

Well, so far, I have enjoyed the reactions of those that were interviewed on the piece. It is going to be interesting how this might be a BIT of a population shift.

One thing that I'm very curious about is how they are going to design the park, particularly if its supposed to be on both sides of 59. If it isn't planned properly, they may find themselves losing a. Sizable chunk due to land siezed to widen that thing.

Also, the taxes genereated by this are going to be a god send for New Caney.

You brought up an interesting point. Will this be in New Caney city limits, or is this Houston's ETJ? If it's Houston's ETJ, what are the chances that the city trots all the way up this way and annexes it? And by the way, the park will only be on the west side of 59. The development on the eastern side of 59 will be the hotel chains, restaurants, EarthWalk, office buildings, and the master-planned community towards the back of it all.

As far as the population shift, I can definitely see that. The NE side of the metro area will start seeing some healthy growth from this thing. The Eastex will no longer be wide open like it is now (but who expected it to stay the way it is for long?). With the Grand Parkway coming in just south of the development, and Exxon building that corporate campus near Spring, you'd probably see people who work that way live near here, also.

2 of my concerns are:

I disagree, that is all that pulls us, I mean them, in. I don't care if you call name the roller coaster after mickey mouse, is it a good ride or not? Are the activities fun? You are right, kids don't care about eco-friendly. This should not be one of the top 5 promoting points for the place. It should just be something the developers (and operators saving $$) are proud of. I never decide to do something based on greenness, at best I'll say "Oh, that's great" and then proceed to decide completely based on substance/delivery of awesomeness.

I disagree, that is all that pulls us, I mean them, in. I don't care if you call name the roller coaster after mickey mouse, is it a good ride or not? Are the activities fun? You are right, kids don't care about eco-friendly. This should not be one of the top 5 promoting points for the place. It should just be something the developers (and operators saving $$) are proud of. I never decide to do something based on greenness, at best I'll say "Oh, that's great" and then proceed to decide completely based on substance/delivery of awesomeness.

When it comes down to it, Disney doesn't have a lot of great rides. They have a few great ones and a bunch of filler. If someone is going to choose to attend a theme park purely for rides and adrenaline rushes, they aren't going to go to Disney. Yet, Disney hauls in the crowds. It is because they sell the experience as something the whole family will enjoy. You are right, kids do not care about eco-friendly, but they do care about Mickey Mouse. If parents were basing it purely on their own enjoyment, many wouldn't go to Disney, they would go to parks with a high coaster count. But, they want their kids to enjoy it also, so they go somewhere the kids will enjoy it, probably more than they will. When we take our toddler to Disney in a year or so, it is going to mostly for him. That is why a park of this magnitude has to be appealing to the whole family to survive.

Archived