Earth Quest Adventures

Boris

All right everyone,

Here's the info. that I gathered from yesterday evening's (12/9) EarthQuest Institute fundraiser event:

Phase I of the project seems to be ALL of the entertainment portion of the overall development... that is, we may actually be seeing EarthQuest Adventures theme park, EarthWalk retail/entertainment district, EarthQuest Institute non-profit museum, Green Gadget Garage family entertainment center, and Cretaceous Cove water park being built first. The theme park and Institute, however, as the biggest drawing points, will be constructed first.

Phase II of the project is all of the retail/office development along the 59 corridor.

Phase III of the project is all of the residential component on the far east side of the overall site.

EarthQuest Adventures

The theme park is currently divided into 6 sections, each branded with its own small icon. As of today, in Dec. '08, we'll see the following areas clockwise around the park:

Gateway (Entry area into park - signature attraction is a "nighttime spectacular" with fountains, lasers, etc...)

Land (Signature attraction is a big-time roller coaster, the one shown shooting up and out the volcano in the renderings. Also, a family/childrens' show called "Rocks Rock" will be located on the small island near the volcano coaster, which was highlighted briefly in the presentation.)

Life (Signature attractions are initial animal displays, a "birds of prey" show, and botanical gardens.)

Sky (Signature attraction is a big-time roller coaster called "F-5 Storm Chasers," appeared to be an inverted coaster which will have a launched lift, maybe like the Hulk coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure)

Water (Signature attraction - a family roller coaster currently called Glacier Mountain Bobsleds. An "Ice Caves Maze" was mentioned, likely a high-quality mirror maze experience)

Pangea (signature attraction - a family thrill ride - a submarine-type voyage into watery depths uncovered during the construction of the park - w/ sea monsters attacking, etc.)

For the time being, I have to head outta my house and get to work. I'll write more later about the park, the Institute, the models on display, and my conversations with Chris Brown of Contour Entertainment, as well as "Dino" Don Lessem himself!

Later -

• Replies 744
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for all the information. Sounds great! I still can't help to be skeptical, but the details are appreciated. :)

All right everyone,

Pangea (signature attraction - a family thrill ride - a submarine-type voyage into watery depths uncovered during the construction of the park - w/ sea monsters attacking, etc.)

That sounds scary. I was always afraid of the "20,000 Leagues Under the Sea" ride at Disney World.

All right everyone,

Here's the info. that I gathered from yesterday evening's (12/9) EarthQuest Institute fundraiser event:

Phase I of the project seems to be ALL of the entertainment portion of the overall development... that is, we may actually be seeing EarthQuest Adventures theme park, EarthWalk retail/entertainment district, EarthQuest Institute non-profit museum, Green Gadget Garage family entertainment center, and Cretaceous Cove water park being built first. The theme park and Institute, however, as the biggest drawing points, will be constructed first.

Phase II of the project is all of the retail/office development along the 59 corridor.

Phase III of the project is all of the residential component on the far east side of the overall site.

EarthQuest Adventures

The theme park is currently divided into 6 sections, each branded with its own small icon. As of today, in Dec. '08, we'll see the following areas clockwise around the park:

Gateway (Entry area into park - signature attraction is a "nighttime spectacular" with fountains, lasers, etc...)

Land (Signature attraction is a big-time roller coaster, the one shown shooting up and out the volcano in the renderings. Also, a family/childrens' show called "Rocks Rock" will be located on the small island near the volcano coaster, which was highlighted briefly in the presentation.)

Life (Signature attractions are initial animal displays, a "birds of prey" show, and botanical gardens.)

Sky (Signature attraction is a big-time roller coaster called "F-5 Storm Chasers," appeared to be an inverted coaster which will have a launched lift, maybe like the Hulk coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure)

Water (Signature attraction - a family roller coaster currently called Glacier Mountain Bobsleds. An "Ice Caves Maze" was mentioned, likely a high-quality mirror maze experience)

For the time being, I have to head outta my house and get to work. I'll write more later about the park, the Institute, the models on display, and my conversations with Chris Brown of Contour Entertainment, as well as "Dino" Don Lessem himself!

Later -

Well done. Thanks for the report.

Did you take any photos of the models? Can you post them? Did anyone in the know talk about a timeline or financial backing? This is such a huge project. It would be so good for Houston but I'm getting a little nervous because I think they were supposed to break ground this year and they haven't (or have they?)

Any more info you can share would be most appreciated.

Well done. Thanks for the report.

Did you take any photos of the models? Can you post them? Did anyone in the know talk about a timeline or financial backing? This is such a huge project. It would be so good for Houston but I'm getting a little nervous because I think they were supposed to break ground this year and they haven't (or have they?)

Any more info you can share would be most appreciated.

Hey Peep - no problem... I have a TON more to report, and will try to do so concurrently with questions back from you guys here on the Forum... Here's the next batch of info. in response to your questions above:

I didn't get any definitive word on the actual, current status/amount of funds raised thus far, but Chris Brown (again, of Contour Entertainment) noted they're waiting for ALL of the funds to be in-hand before mobilizing at all, so the park does not fail, even mid-construction. I'm very disappointed to report that the 12-18 month timeframe on event the START of construction seems to be the real, current news. Groundbreaking might be very earliest in 3rd quarter of next year, but sounding more likely 4th quarter, maybe the beginning of 2011. I'd say earliest opening of the theme park might now be summer season of 2013, in lieu of Holiday season 2012.

But the overall team appears to be treading very conservatively, carefully, thoughtfully... I asked Chris about what happened to Myrtle Beach's Hard Rock Park, and he didn't give too many details (it was published earlier that Marlin Atlantis, the developer of EarthQuest, here, obviously, was at one time interested in buying up Hard Rock Park from the initial Owner and developer, but the deal fell through). I think the big failure of HRP was the poor studies on expected attendance, and thus revenue, etc. His ultimate point seemed to be that EarthQuest would not have the same happen to it... The Houston area site selected was scrutinized through several feasibility studies, as we may all know by now.

So I think all of us as future patrons just need to continue to play the waiting game. All signs continued to point to 'Go' on Tuesday night (there were even one or two business owners I overheard as being interested in tenant spaces along EarthWalk...). I was encouraged by all of what I was hearing.

Back to the models on display: unfortunately, no photos were allowed of either the overall Phase 1 model or the larger EarthQuest model... The renderings to which we do have access all online are much more representative of the current plans, I believe...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Can somebody that has a subscription please post this?!?

Thank you!

Ask and you shall receive.

http://houston.bizjournals.com/houston/stories/2010/01/04/story6.html?page=1

The article is now available to everyone - even us cheapskates. It sounds like the EarthQuest Institute Fundraiser was a big hit. They raised over 3 times as much money as they were anticipating. People want this thing to happen.

Ask and you shall receive.

http://houston.bizjo...ry6.html?page=1

The article is now available to everyone - even us cheapskates. It sounds like the EarthQuest Institute Fundraiser was a big hit. They raised over 3 times as much money as they were anticipating. People want this thing to happen.

Thank you!!! I really hope this comes to fruition - and it will be great to see the shovels come out later this year!

Here is a new interesting PDF showing the layout of the resort.

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic636732.files/EQC%20Deck%20-%20Harvard%20Course.pdf

Awesome! But where are the roller coasters? Thats what I really miss about Astroworld the roller coasters. Other than that, it looks like one of the best theme-parks Ive seen.

Here's something that someone who attended the EarthQuest Institute fundraiser wrote on the www.sixflagshouston.com forum. Here's a link to the forum, just scroll down the page. The poster gives great descriptions of the roller coasters and other cool sounding attractions.

http://www.sixflagshouston.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33005&sid=d545cfdb1810fc55600a5256b8e05d8f#33005

Hey all - This is nearly a bigger deal than the Disneyland Resort actually (size wise)...

I attended the first EarthQuest Institute fundraiser on December 8 '09 up at the East Montgomery County Improvement District, and was able to speak directly with Don Lessem and Chris Brown (the latter of Contour Entertainment, and an ex-Disney Imagineer). Both gentlemen were very friendly, certainly brilliant, and accommodating of questions -

Here's what I know, or what I learned from the fundraiser:

Phase I of the project will be Entertainment half, or west half of the overall site - west of 59N up there in New Caney.

The non-profit EarthQuest Institute and EarthQuest Adventures theme park (may end up being called 'Global EarthQuest Adventures,' but that sounds like an evil corporation, so I hope the name is ultimately the former) will be the first two ventures to be constructed.

EarthQuest Institute

It appears the Institute (dinosaur and green-technology museum) is well into Design Development, if not likely already in Construction Documents phase, in order to meet groundbreaking sometime much later this year.

If you contact EMCID and donate to EarthQuest Institute, they're already taking donors' names for bricks/plaques to be on display in the entry plaza, or on the wall in the entry lobby, what have you... You can pledge in annual installments, even, so ask about options and pledge levels to be a "Friend of the Institute."

At the time of the fundraiser late last year, donors meeting the various pledge levels will actually receive combinations of opening day passes to EarthQuest Institute, VIP passes to the 'Celebrity Opening Gala' for the Institute, even tickets to EarthQuest Adventures park on Opening Day (this last item @ 'Platinum Friend' level only), or another day during the first 'season.'

Per the monthly newsletters now being sent out, we should be able to learn a lot more about the Institute's projects as they're launched this year.

EarthQuest Adventures

The EarthQuest Adventures theme park was well-presented at the fundraiser:

As of December of last year, the park has six sections, clockwise around the park as follows. Each section appears to have an icon developed to represent it, like contemporary versions of the original Future World attractions at Epcot. What's ultimately built could absolutely deviate from what is noted here.

Gateway

Entrance to the park, w/ park services and all the standard park entry-type retail and such. A water/laser/projection show will be the feature attraction in this area (similar to, but likely a much less sophisticated version of the forthcoming "World of Color" show to open at Disney's California Adventure this spring).

Land

Headliner attractions mentioned for this area were a launched roller coaster that would shoot out of the top of a volcano, and a show for families called "Rocks Rock," with talking stalagtites and stalagmites (sp?).

Life

Primary attractions mentioned for this area were botanical gardens and initial animal exhibits (Phase I of II) like a bird show.

Sky

Headliner attraction mentioned for this area was another launched coaster, and the rendering in the presentation showed an inverted coaster train about to rocket out of the station and up an angled lift... The physical model on display at the fundraiser showed this coaster to be something of the caliber of the Incredible Hulk roller coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure. I've put two and two together, and we may be seeing Bolliger and Mabillard's first launched inverted coaster to be built here in the Houston area. The name mentioned for this coaster was 'F-5 Storm Chasers.' I hope this changes, since 'F-5 Twin Twisters' is the name of the double-helix waterslides at Schlitterbahn Galveston.

Water

Headliner rides in this apparently glacier-outpost-themed area are the circular whitewater rafting ride (mentioned in the January EarthQuest newsletter), and a bobsled coaster called Glacier Mountain Bobsleds. An 'ice caves mirror maze' was actually mentioned as well, and I'll look forward to that as a potentially interesting walk-through attraction.

Pangea

This much more dinosaur/fantasy-style themed area has a family thrill ride headliner attraction which will be a submarine ride. Apparently mythical dinosaur-style monsters will attack the submarines, etc... Kind of vague, but certainly an interesting premise... The story behind the area is that some kind of sinkhole was discovered during the construction of the park, which opened up to this other world......

Anyway...all that noted: To top all if this off, linked here, find the best, most comprehensive document on the overall EarthQuest Development I've been able to find. The highest-resolution aerial, painted rendering I've seen yet is included here:

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.topic636732.files/EQC%20Deck%20-%20Harvard%20Course.pdf

Final notes: At the fundraiser, I asked Chris Brown "If you could compare EarthQuest Adventures park with any other here in the States, which would it be?" (You know...quality-wise...) His answer: "Busch Gardens Tampa." I'll take that...

Groundbreaking is still supposed to happen sometime later this year (3rd or 4th quarter) - Chris did say they will not even break ground until they have ALL the financing (to prevent another Hard Rock Park-style fiasco), and I believe as of this month, based on various articles I've read online, they may have well over half the funding thus far. Outlook was VERY good as of December.

Here's something that someone who attended the EarthQuest Institute fundraiser wrote on the www.sixflagshouston.com forum. Here's a link to the forum, just scroll down the page. The poster gives great descriptions of the roller coasters and other cool sounding attractions.

http://www.sixflagshouston.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=33005&sid=d545cfdb1810fc55600a5256b8e05d8f#33005

Hey all - This is nearly a bigger deal than the Disneyland Resort actually (size wise)...

I attended the first EarthQuest Institute fundraiser on December 8 '09 up at the East Montgomery County Improvement District, and was able to speak directly with Don Lessem and Chris Brown (the latter of Contour Entertainment, and an ex-Disney Imagineer). Both gentlemen were very friendly, certainly brilliant, and accommodating of questions -

Here's what I know, or what I learned from the fundraiser:

Phase I of the project will be Entertainment half, or west half of the overall site - west of 59N up there in New Caney.

The non-profit EarthQuest Institute and EarthQuest Adventures theme park (may end up being called 'Global EarthQuest Adventures,' but that sounds like an evil corporation, so I hope the name is ultimately the former) will be the first two ventures to be constructed.

EarthQuest Institute

It appears the Institute (dinosaur and green-technology museum) is well into Design Development, if not likely already in Construction Documents phase, in order to meet groundbreaking sometime much later this year.

If you contact EMCID and donate to EarthQuest Institute, they're already taking donors' names for bricks/plaques to be on display in the entry plaza, or on the wall in the entry lobby, what have you... You can pledge in annual installments, even, so ask about options and pledge levels to be a "Friend of the Institute."

At the time of the fundraiser late last year, donors meeting the various pledge levels will actually receive combinations of opening day passes to EarthQuest Institute, VIP passes to the 'Celebrity Opening Gala' for the Institute, even tickets to EarthQuest Adventures park on Opening Day (this last item @ 'Platinum Friend' level only), or another day during the first 'season.'

Per the monthly newsletters now being sent out, we should be able to learn a lot more about the Institute's projects as they're launched this year.

EarthQuest Adventures

The EarthQuest Adventures theme park was well-presented at the fundraiser:

As of December of last year, the park has six sections, clockwise around the park as follows. Each section appears to have an icon developed to represent it, like contemporary versions of the original Future World attractions at Epcot. What's ultimately built could absolutely deviate from what is noted here.

Gateway

Entrance to the park, w/ park services and all the standard park entry-type retail and such. A water/laser/projection show will be the feature attraction in this area (similar to, but likely a much less sophisticated version of the forthcoming "World of Color" show to open at Disney's California Adventure this spring).

Land

Headliner attractions mentioned for this area were a launched roller coaster that would shoot out of the top of a volcano, and a show for families called "Rocks Rock," with talking stalagtites and stalagmites (sp?).

Life

Primary attractions mentioned for this area were botanical gardens and initial animal exhibits (Phase I of II) like a bird show.

Sky

Headliner attraction mentioned for this area was another launched coaster, and the rendering in the presentation showed an inverted coaster train about to rocket out of the station and up an angled lift... The physical model on display at the fundraiser showed this coaster to be something of the caliber of the Incredible Hulk roller coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure. I've put two and two together, and we may be seeing Bolliger and Mabillard's first launched inverted coaster to be built here in the Houston area. The name mentioned for this coaster was 'F-5 Storm Chasers.' I hope this changes, since 'F-5 Twin Twisters' is the name of the double-helix waterslides at Schlitterbahn Galveston.

Water

Headliner rides in this apparently glacier-outpost-themed area are the circular whitewater rafting ride (mentioned in the January EarthQuest newsletter), and a bobsled coaster called Glacier Mountain Bobsleds. An 'ice caves mirror maze' was actually mentioned as well, and I'll look forward to that as a potentially interesting walk-through attraction.

Pangea

This much more dinosaur/fantasy-style themed area has a family thrill ride headliner attraction which will be a submarine ride. Apparently mythical dinosaur-style monsters will attack the submarines, etc... Kind of vague, but certainly an interesting premise... The story behind the area is that some kind of sinkhole was discovered during the construction of the park, which opened up to this other world......

Anyway...all that noted: To top all if this off, linked here, find the best, most comprehensive document on the overall EarthQuest Development I've been able to find. The highest-resolution aerial, painted rendering I've seen yet is included here:

Final notes: At the fundraiser, I asked Chris Brown "If you could compare EarthQuest Adventures park with any other here in the States, which would it be?" (You know...quality-wise...) His answer: "Busch Gardens Tampa." I'll take that...

Groundbreaking is still supposed to happen sometime later this year (3rd or 4th quarter) - Chris did say they will not even break ground until they have ALL the financing (to prevent another Hard Rock Park-style fiasco), and I believe as of this month, based on various articles I've read online, they may have well over half the funding thus far. Outlook was VERY good as of December.

Nice nice nice!

I LOL'd at the thought of talking stalactites and stalagmites.

But everything else sounds great.

Nice nice nice!

I LOL'd at the thought of talking stalactites and stalagmites.

But everything else sounds great.

Heh, heh... I posted the above summary at sixflagshouston.com, and did intend to actually copy it over here to the HAIF, so "Thanks, 'Coaster!'" for doing it for me!... Yeah, it's going to be a pretty interesting, varied park... I'm pleased it's going to open with at least a few big coasters and some unique thrill rides...

The "Rocks Rock" thing should be pretty popular with families... looked like it might end up being a cave version of Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room or something...

Anyway, as of today, no new news, but in another few days or so I hope we'll be seeing the next monthly EarthQuest Institute newsletter. Hopefully there will be some good progress reflected in this month's update...

Take care everyone -

I'm glad you're cool with me posting your terrific and insightful post from sixflagshouston, txtiger. I knew that there would be people here who would be very interested and excited reading your report from the fundraiser and seeing the new pdf that you found.

Thank you for all your efforts in keeping us informed about EQ whether it be at this forum or at SFH.

• 4 weeks later...

As I was reading all the updates, all of this sounded like a scam operation.

But, that's just my cynicism. This looks cool, although I wish this was more "theme park-ish", doesn't look like that many trill rides and attractions, still should be great if this does end up happening. With that said, I'm holding my breath on this project.

It looks pretty theme-parkish to me. If the park is built like the model and they build everything that they have already listed, EarthQuest will have more than enough attractions. I count about 6 roller coasters. That is a respectable amount of coasters for a brand new park built from scratch.

If the park ends up looking anything like the renderings, model and descriptions - you will not be disappointed.

It looks pretty theme-parkish to me. If the park is built like the model and they build everything that they have already listed, EarthQuest will have more than enough attractions. I count about 6 roller coasters. That is a respectable amount of coasters for a brand new park built from scratch.

If the park ends up looking anything like the renderings, model and descriptions - you will not be disappointed.

Yeah, its a start. They have to add more rides in the future or they will end up like Astroworld.

Yeah, its a start. They have to add more rides in the future or they will end up like Astroworld.

At least there should be plenty of land for future expansion. That was one of the things that killed AstroWorld - there was no real room to expand without the extra added expense of removing something to make room for it. This park will be NOTHING like AstroWorld. It looks to be in a completely different (light years better) class of theme park/resort. It will be much bigger than AstroWorld was and have a much nicer atmosphere due to its heavily wooded location.

Indian Nation? Interesting that they'd be asking them. Hopefully the guvment gave them a big stimulus to spend on this ;P

"We've looked at a lot of Texas-centric and Houston-centric investors," he said. "We have a deep dialog with the Indian Nation and have been traveling through Europe as well."

It really is a good amount of roller coasters. For comparison's sake, Six Flags Over Texas has 13 and Fiesta Texas has 8. EarthQuest is definitely looking like a great theme park, with room to expand for more coasters.

This isn't true. Astroworld was a tiny landlocked "theme" park in the middle of America's fourth largest city. EarthQuest is on the outskirts and has a bunch of room to expand. Not to mention it's very family oriented. Astroworld started out that way, but it didn't last, since it was in the middle of the city. Plus, Astroworld added PLENTY of rides. Astroworld was a roller-coaster enthusiasts paradise for a while (I'd say until 2002 or so, after they tore down Texas Tornado).

This isn't true. Astroworld was a tiny landlocked "theme" park in the middle of America's fourth largest city. EarthQuest is on the outskirts and has a bunch of room to expand. Not to mention it's very family oriented. Astroworld started out that way, but it didn't last, since it was in the middle of the city. Plus, Astroworld added PLENTY of rides. Astroworld was a roller-coaster enthusiasts paradise for a while (I'd say until 2002 or so, after they tore down Texas Tornado).

The point I was trying to make is that Astroworld stopped adding and changing things up and overall just stopped fixing the park up. I remember the Batman ride they had had the theme of a junk yard, well they used real junk and it was trashy looking and the tunnel spelled like piss. I believe the park could have worked on the amount of land they had, but it would take a little more engineering to add more rides in such a small space.

You have to keep changing things up or otherwise they will get boring.

Looks like there is finally some real content on the EarthQuest test website. Although there are currently a lot of non-working links, there are some new renderings. I think I see a flying Pterodactyl suspended roller coaster ride in the Pangea Section. How fun.

I really love what I am seeing here. EarthQuest looks to be a VERY unique resort/theme park. Most theme parks use cultural elements as the basis of theming. But here, it's all about the Earth. This is a very fresh idea in the theme park industry. I think the educational aspects and exhibits will really appeal to adults. Houstonians will be very lucky if this park actually gets built. Not only does the Houston area desperately need a theme park, but this looks to be a very special one.

http://www.earthquestadventures.com/test/

Archived