isuredid

Images of Old Houston

The faces that my grandparents make when I suggest kayaking on the bayou would confirm how bad it was

shame some of the photobuckets are gone, but also incredible that some 2006 photobucket images still exist. 

• Like 1

Nice pictures!  Can anyone identify the street with the accident in front of Jack-in-the-Box?

9 minutes ago, invisibletrees said:

What was the building in the background?

Hermann Hospital. 

On ‎1‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 4:26 AM, Urbannizer said:

Downtown Houston, 1929

Photo was taken where the Buffalo  Bayou hike and bike trail exist today, near 45. The Bayou looked pretty rough back then.

high_res_d

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metadc504919/m1/1/high_res_d/

This was the farmer's market in the foreground to the right, which extended over the bayou. You can see the long canopies. I believe several other buildings around it also had produce shops.

• Like 1

On 8/29/2019 at 3:47 PM, Urbannizer said:

I wonder which corner this building occupied. Bremond dead-ends into Main at this intersection; however, the block opposite Bremond (west side of Main) is currently occupied by Central Cadillac, which probably was built soon after the Houston Auditorium was demolished. 

2 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

I wonder which corner this building occupied. Bremond dead-ends into Main at this intersection; however, the block opposite Bremond (west side of Main) is currently occupied by Central Cadillac, which probably was built soon after the Houston Auditorium was demolished. 

Sam White Oldsmobile opened in 1951 in the building currently occupied by Central Cadillac. There was a Swamplot piece that had a bit more info on it last year:

Your Next Best Bets for Houston’s Most Historic Car Dealership Building Once 1621 Milam Gets Demolished

That still leaves the question of what, if anything, was there between 1937 and 1951.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, mkultra25 said:

Sam White Oldsmobile opened in 1951 in the building currently occupied by Central Cadillac. There was a Swamplot piece that had a bit more info on it last year:

Your Next Best Bets for Houston’s Most Historic Car Dealership Building Once 1621 Milam Gets Demolished

That still leaves the question of what, if anything, was there between 1937 and 1951.

In 1940, 2518 and 2520 Main were vacant. 2501 was South Main Chevrolet Used Cars, 2519 was Main-McGowen Service Station

In 1942, 2520 was LeBlanc's Restaurant

City directories are pretty sparse until the 50's. Sam White himself lived at 202 Millbrook in 1956

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Ross said:

In 1940, 2518 and 2520 Main were vacant. 2501 was South Main Chevrolet Used Cars, 2519 was Main-McGowen Service Station

In 1942, 2520 was LeBlanc's Restaurant

City directories are pretty sparse until the 50's. Sam White himself lived at 202 Millbrook in 1956

Interesting. 202 Millbrook is in Piney Point Village. I assume the area in and around the Memorial Villages would have been at least semi-rural back in the 50s, well before the later waves of development extended their reach that far from the city's center. 

On 7/3/2019 at 8:14 AM, Subdude said:

Nice pictures!  Can anyone identify the street with the accident in front of Jack-in-the-Box?

Unless the lens is extraordinarily screwed up, the intersection isn't perpendicular. The other road is wide, accommodating three lanes on each side, which eliminates a lot of options. There's also a movie theater in the background.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:58 PM, IronTiger said:

There's also a movie theater in the background.

I think that "movie theater" is actually a liquor store. Pretty sure it says "LIQUORS."

Screen Shot 2019-09-23 at 7.35.55 PM.jpg

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MidCenturyMoldy said:

I think that "movie theater" is actually a liquor store. Pretty sure it says "LIQUORS."

On 7/3/2019 at 8:14 AM, Subdude said:

On 9/1/2019 at 4:58 PM, IronTiger said:

Unless the lens is extraordinarily screwed up, the intersection isn't perpendicular. The other road is wide, accommodating three lanes on each side, which eliminates a lot of options. There's also a movie theater in the background.

I don't know why i didn't notice the angled street intersection before.  That makes it almost obvious to me that it is the corner of Telephone and Dumble.

https://goo.gl/maps/sYPg1NR1GogPrueQ7

There is still a liquor store at the same spot today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I searched for the Jack in the Box in my "defunct restaurants" list, it wasn't there because it was rebuilt on the same site at one time. The fried chicken place is now a taqueria, and that other building between the fried chicken restaurant and the liquor store (notice it still has the same facade) was torn down prior to 1978.