San Antonion Sprawl !

Boris

Well, at least they have some nice(albeit not green enough for my tastes) hills, and terrain. Not too horrendous, although, I do notice a lot more of the more "tract house sprawley" stuff that we'd see in our "black hole" type of areas(KB, lower end Beazer, etc). I did not really see anything in the true McMansion, upper middle class type of housing.

Still, sprawl is sprawl.

Keep in mind that dense housing on SA's North and Northwest side (where these pics were taken) will never come to fruition. For one, there are rules about how much impervious cover can be built over the Edwards Aquifer Recharge zone, which is much of this area. Also, the hilly terrain is a detriment to dense development. You simply can't build affordable homes on steep hillsides. Many homes in the SA hills have 3 ft to 10 ft tall foundations just to account for the grade of the terrain being built on. This additional foundation can raise the price of homebuilding thousands of dollars.

Many neighborhoods being built in this area are upscale, acreage communities for these reasons. It's definitely not dense out that way.

Looks like Houston with hills to me. SA is such a "wannabe" place.

While SA isn't my favorite 1 or 2 cities in TX, I would not say that it is a wannabe city. They actually take pride in being small and personable. It's a very slow, laid back, non-corporate town that doesn't envy the challenges that Houston and Dallas face being the "big" cities of TX.

All they want is an NFL team, not for visibility, but for sheer TX desire. Give them that and I doubt we'd hear any complaints from them any time soon.

• 1 month later...
While SA isn't my favorite 1 or 2 cities in TX, I would not say that it is a wannabe city. They actually take pride in being small and personable. It's a very slow, laid back, non-corporate town that doesn't envy the challenges that Houston and Dallas face being the "big" cities of TX.

All they want is an NFL team, not for visibility, but for sheer TX desire. Give them that and I doubt we'd hear any complaints from them any time soon.

Not corporate? I used to watch KENS and WOAI, They brag about HEB, SBC and Toyota all the time :( Seems like EVERYTHING is sponsored by them.

• 7 months later...
I wouldn't. If I couldn't live in Houston, but had to stay in Texas, it would go:

1. Dallas

2. Austin

3. SA

Cosign but my list would be Dallas, Fort Worth, Galveston, Killeen or Tyler. That's for diversity in Texas plus the huge Black populations (don't ask).

I wish Houston had hills like that. Then Houston would truely be the perfect place! As far as San Antonio being a "wanna-be" city, I think it's the other way around. I bet Houston and Dallas wish they had half the tourism that San Antonio has. However when Earth Quest Adventures opens up...look out! Houston will boom with tourists!

We have a few hills in and around Conroe, but nothing too significant. they don't get big until Willis on up. Houston is sprawling that way, too. Fulshear and areas west have some rolling terrain as well.

We have a few hills in and around Conroe, but nothing too significant. they don't get big until Willis on up. Houston is sprawling that way, too. Fulshear and areas west have some rolling terrain as well.

Well, I don't consider anything much past Conroe as being "part of Houston." I mean if you'd let it, eventually Huntsville will become a burb. How far does it go?

True, but then again 20 years ago The Woodlands was considered in the sticks. Now...you can hardly tell where Houston ends and The Woodlands begins. We desperately need lightrail. But I'll save that for the transportation forum.

Light rail to the Woodlands? Nope! Commuter rail is a much better option for areas for the Woodlands on up to Willis.

I meant commuter rail and to bring it all the way to Willis is probably a bit extreme and a waste of money...for now. I don't think the goal here is to encourage urban sprawl.

Why would it encourage urban sprawl? Sprawl is already going up that way now. Why not help out the situation and put a commuter rail line up there?

I suppose, however, as long as you accomodate people in Willis and Huntsville or Sealy or Cleveland...places far out the more building will occur in those areas. With that said, it will be a long time before any of those cities (maybe Cleveland because of Earth Quest Adventures) will become large enough to support a commuter rail. Most people in the burbs work in that general area. Now places like Kingwood, Conroe, The Woodlands, Cypress and Katy, most of those residents work in a business district in Houston; whether that be The Woodlands, Greenspoint, Greenway Plaza, The Galleria, or Downtown. But people in Willis, Huntsville, Bellville, and other small towns like their identity and want nothing to do with the city anyhow and work very near home.

Archived