Home At 3807 South MacGregor Way

retromodernjeff

• 6 years later...

7 years too late responding to this post, but alas....
I was looking for info on this house also, and came across this thread. I stopped by the address a few days ago to snap some pics. I hadn't been in the MacGregor/Riverside Terrace area in years and I was expecting that it wouldn't be standing anymore. Though the home remains, it seems to just be holding on by a thread. The interior shots reveal catastrophic roof leaks and subsequent 'lakes' on the interior floor. The Womack Developing company has had a sign out front for at least 2-3 years and it still appears on the HAR website. At $195k.....makes you go "hmmmm"...

http://search.har.com/idx/dispSearch.cfm?cid=9732&sitetype=AWS&mlnum=9555984&class=1&sType=0

Would love to see it restored and thrive, however being located almost directly at the corner of Scott and S. MacGregor, it seems prime for retail....or worse, another McMansion. I also hope it doesn't go the way of the Leon Green House, immediately next door (3819 S. Macgregor)...which underwent a brow-cringing, botched renovation years back.

I'll let the pics speak for themselves...

post-11980-0-37935400-1366236243_thumb.j

post-11980-0-38296900-1366236251_thumb.j

post-11980-0-05441000-1366236259_thumb.j

That house has been flooded at least once since it lies in the pathway of the pre-channeled Brays Bayou. That's why it's mostly gutted. I like MCM homes, but the flood prone location of this one means whoever buys it and restores it may be in for grief after the next big flood.

I hate to say it, but this one is probably toast. Interesting fact about it; the roof was designed to flood to some how keep it cooler. The owner later commissioned Howard Barnstone to design a ranch home for him, but he was killed in a plane crash before it could be built. 

• 5 months later...

Give this one another chance.  I toured it for the first time recently and its not nearly as bad as I had heard.  Yes it needs everything replaced but what 60 year old house that's been vacant 10 years doesn't.  At the time I saw it, almost everything was still present to either be cleaned up or serve as examples for what needs restoration.  It has lots of fantastic built-ins with sliding door cabinets and a great deal of storage.  In the living room it has a free floating concrete bowl that serves as the fire box for the fire place.  Above the bowl are two large pipes extending through the roof that vent the fireplace.  The windows are great too.  Its amazing how well the exterior has held up.  It looks almost nice from outside. 

Houston Mod is in contact with two of the children who grew up in the house.  They said the fireplace originally had a copper hood attached to the fireplace vent pipes. They said the apartments behind the house were there before the house and while they didn't like them being there- they didn't cause any trouble.  They planted tall bamboo to screen the view. 

The neighborhood is improving quickly and this could once again be one of it's showplaces.  I think the owner has taken it off the market temporarily to clean it up and plans to relist it soon. 

I passed by the house on Sunday. Looks like work is underway to spruce it up. The garage was open and I could see into the house and see that the sheet rock had been removed from the walls and the wood behind the sheet rock was being replaced. It also looks like the roof is being worked on.

The curved concrete fireplace bowl is shown in one of the photos above. It belongs under the vent pipes in the ceiling in the same photo. I checked the house again last week and the bowl wasn't there. Hopefully they moved it into the garage. I imagine they didn't know what it was and threw it in the dumpster however.  Also sad to report all the architect designed bathrooms have been gutted including the original cabinets with sliding doors and vintage boomerang laminate countertops. Work on the roof continues. Let's hope they don't add a sloped roof and/or a second story.

Edited by SpaceAge

• 7 months later...

Something drastic was happening at this house today. It seems they are tearing down the garage (which originally was a carport) and the back wall of the house is gone.  It looks like 3 men doing the work by hand so perhaps it will be added to or it's being deconstructed. 

Something drastic was happening at this house today. It seems they are tearing down the garage (which originally was a carport) and the back wall of the house is gone.  It looks like 3 men doing the work by hand so perhaps it will be added to or it's being deconstructed. 

I noticed the same thing today.

I passed by that property after one of the bad, recent yr. hurricanes. It had a mangled piece of metal high up in the tree. Kinda scary, being so close to the water. Keep us posted on the goings-on. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to 3807 South MacGregor Way
  • The title was changed to Home At 3807 South MacGregor Way