Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center

torvald

No renderings yet for the Houston Aga Khan Ismaili Centre but here is a rendering of the (under construction) $300 million Toronto version to be completed later this year (scroll down for detailed renderings):

http://urbantoronto.ca/news/2010/05/prime-minister-harper-and-aga-khan-aga-khan-museum-ismaili-centre

Maybe we can expect something similar - Toronto's version appears to sit on similar acreage (15 acres), the site here is 11 acres.

More of an Islamic Arts/Cultural Center and Museum..., This thing could be huge. 

Facebook page with good pics: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=571658612858938&

Edited by HOUSTONIAN (N-ATL)

Remember it's in Toronto and NOT Houston. $300 million doesn't go quite as far there.  I would also think the total includes the cost of the museum's collection of artifacts and not just building costs. Who knows, one painting could be world millions.

• 2 weeks later...

I think what he's implying is that he wishes it would not be built - perhaps motivated by his particular brand of tribalism - and that he laments not being able to truly express how he feels because it would be deemed politically incorrect.

Am I right?

Do Muslims not have the same rights as anyone else?

That's actually a great use in the short term, particularly considering its proximity to the bayou. Do you have a source?

I got in touch with their VP of development, not sure if that was his exact title but it is close.

The half of the lot closest to Allen Parkway will be for parking. I don't think it will be paved or anything though.

• 2 weeks later...

http://swamplot.com/there-will-be-wickets-empty-w-dallas-lot-in-play-for-youth-sports-facility/2013-05-31/

"It doesn’t seem that this grassy, fenced-in lot along Montrose between W. Dallas and Allen Pkwy. is going to change very much: All that scraping and dragging a few weeks ago was to level the ground for a cricket field, according to a contractor at the firm responsible for doing the dirt work. The Aga Khan Youth and Sports Facility, the contractor says, will comprise that cricket field, a pair of soccer fields, and a concession stand. In 2006, the Aga Khan Foundation purchased and demolished the Robinson Warehouse on this frequently flooded 11-acre property and said it was planning to build an Ismaili Center here."

Edited by DrLan34

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

They did an excellent job of purposing this land for volleyball and soccer.  The volleyball courts are generally a consistent puddle on top of a small section of sand and they even have a part of a soccer goal.  No development for cricket yet. 

If they are really keeping this lot tax free by the work they did last year, then 'scam' is without a doubt the proper description.

• 2 years later...

i've always wondered why the land on Montrose in between Allen Pkwy and W. Dallas has remained empty for so long?  I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I can't find nothing on it.  Who owns it?  Has anything ever been planned here and later cancelled? What would y'all like to see here?  I would love to get some feedback on this.  

49 minutes ago, nate4l1f3 said:

i've always wondered why the land on Montrose in between Allen Pkwy and W. Dallas has remained empty for so long?  I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I can't find nothing on it.  Who owns it?  Has anything ever been planned here and later cancelled? What would y'all like to see here?  I would love to get some feedback on this.  

If you're referring to the land on the corner of Allen Pkwy and Montrose I believe it was initially bought by the Aga Khan Foundation and they were going to build a cultural center there. That was the news a few yrs. ago as of now I really don't know whats going on but something might happen in the near future based on the article below.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/local/gray-matters/article/Imagine-A-safe-way-to-cross-Allen-Parkway-6807170.php

Here is the original thread on the subject:

Warning: lots of "fun" discussion on Islam, no rendering of the originally proposed Islamic Center. But gives a timeline of when they acquired and when the decision was made to build in Toronto. Last real news in that thread is from May 2013 when Aga Khan stated that the center was a few years out and the land would be turned in to a "sports complex". I remember they put a fence up and did a little bit of work to clear things up, have a half-ass volleyball court that is in ruins and I never saw used. Really no change there in almost 3 years. they do mow the grass on occasion.

The museum that was built in Toronto is beautiful, but these guys will move at a snails pace. I think the end-result will be much better than a stick-built apartment complex, even if it takes considerably longer.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ADCS said:

How long until the land is condemned then?

The Aga Khan Foundation sued HCAD last year claiming that they were erroneously denied an exemption because the land is a youth athletic facility. Really, that's their argument - a volleyball net and some alleged soccer fields make it a youth athletic facility. No telling when it will be resolved. I've never seen anyone using it for youth athletics, and we drive by there on a regular basis.

• Like 1

That's hilarious. Setting aside my personal belief that all religious organizations should be taxed (seriously, Lakewood and Second Baptist don't pay taxes?), how is one supposed to use those fields. Is there an unlocked gate in the fence that I am unaware of?

• Like 5

The comments on here are a bit shocking, it seems no one knows how important and prestigious the Aga Khan foundation is....

Most of their projects are done by Pitzker Prize winners, including their huge project in Toronto by Fumihiko Maki and the water gardens are by an amazing guy based out of Beirut. People should google but their collections rotate among museums such as The Hermitage in St.Petersburg and the like of the Louvre and it would be amazing for Houston. 

It would be a MAJOR gift to have a project of theirs here and the monkeys who probably went to HCC at HCAD probably don't understand that but whatever : ) We'll see what mess this new administration gets us into anyways.

Monkeys? Really? I wish I had known apes attended classes at those two institutions. Would have made for some great photos!

Good ol' Karim loves (and leaves) the ladies and the ponies. I don't know what he does with the ponies when they are past it.