Sign in to follow this  
torvald

Aga Khan Foundation: Islamic Community Center, first in U.S

22 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Model from afar.

TQCU62D.jpg

Looks like it will have trees. That's a good start.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I'll bet the lines in the grass are for the layout of the site.

Anyone got a drone that they want to send up?

Looking at a zoomed in version of them holding the model, it looks like a BUNCH of trees. Like 50-70?

And 2 or 3 structures. Largest one along the western edge and two smaller ones along the eastern edge. 

• Like 1

I’ll go ahead and risk sounding like and idiot, but judging the model from afar it doesn’t look like anything crazy or outside of the box like the pictures posted in this thread

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, CasualObserver said:

You can't expect a non-profit group to just recklessly barge ahead with a plan that started a mere...check notes...11 years ago.

If its a project where you only build one in each country then they are going to take their time to make sure they like what they are going to build. Not to mention if its a non-profit + a religious group then they aren't going to be pushed to construct this as quickly like one that is looking to profit from what they want built immediately like a regular client. I do hope this does get off the ground soon, but I rather then take the time they need to get this right the first time than pushing it just to get built and then they aren't satisfied with the result.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

They might have purchased the land many years ago, but they just named an architect to design the project a year ago. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

They bought this valuable plot 11 years ago. It's much more valuable now as the neighbors are tons of towers and mid-rises and Whole Foods and a completely rehabbed park. They don't pay taxes on it while it sits designated as a "park." 

I would be surprised if they eventually sell this at a HUGE profit all while never paying a dime in taxes. Hope I'm wrong but the older I get the more cynical I become.

• Like 1

I think it will be built and much sooner than you think. You've just been in L A. too long.

Edited by bobruss
  • Like 3

On 1/29/2020 at 12:42 PM, bobruss said:

They might have purchased the land many years ago, but they just named an architect to design the project a year ago. 

Didn't they have a public event with scaled models of the whole site? This thing has already been schematically designed...we just need them to release the design to the public. 

• Like 4

Hopefully they would make them public at some point in the near future. Everyone is waiting to see what this site will evolve into. 

I just know after many years of waiting for the pot to boil, I've finally learned that a watched pot never boils.

It will come when they're ready. It always seems that these type of projects get announced when you least expect it. 

• Like 2